Say hello and introduce yourself

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Welcome to the Dementia Support Forum @lynnefisher

It`s a very sad tale about your mum.

I`m sure we`ve all heard how dangerous falls can be but most of us don`t realise just how dangerous they are until we have a personal experience.

Falls and infections can have a more significant effect on people with dementia than they do on others. Even the mildest infection can be damaging.

I`m sorry you`ve had such a shock by the change in your mother after her fall. She could rally a little in time but it remains to be seen.

I hope you find this forum helpful and supportive. There are many members who have had similar experiences to yours

lynnefisher

Jul 1, 2024

I`m sure we`ve all heard how dangerous falls can be but most of us don`t realise just how dangerous they are until we have a personal experience.

Falls and infections can have a more significant effect on people with dementia than they do on others. Even the mildest infection can be damaging.

I`m sorry you`ve had such a shock by the change in your mother after her fall. She could rally a little in time but it remains to be seen.

I hope you find this forum helpful and supportive. There are many members who have had similar experiences to yours

Many thanks...I'm sure there are many similar stories and this feels like a safe place to read and learn to gain perspective so vital with anything concerning dementia. And of course support one another.

Deedee143

Jul 2, 2024
Hi all I am new to this I have just been told that I have dementia and I am not sure how I should be feeling my family and close friends have gone to bits but I don’t know how I feel it changes from sad, numb, angry, and scared. I am 65 and live alone.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hi all I am new to this I have just been told that I have dementia and I am not sure how I should be feeling my family and close friends have gone to bits but I don’t know how I feel it changes from sad, numb, angry, and scared. I am 65 and live alone.
Hello @Deedee143 and welcome to the Dementia Support Forum. I am so sorry to read about your recent diagnosis of dementia, even if you were expecting it, it still must come as a shock. All of those things that you are feeling are perfectly normal under the circumstances.

You might find it useful to start a thread in the area of the forum - I have dementia. There you can talk about how you feel, ask any questions you might have or just have a rant now and again. I have attached a link below.

If you have not already done so I might be an idea to make sure any legal issues are up to date, such as LPA and wills. Because you live alone it might also be useful to contact your local adult social services to arrange a needs assessment.

Depending on your age you might also be entitled to Attendance Allowance and I have again attached a link about this.

I know that this is a lot to take in but just take everything one step at a time. I do hope that you will keep posting on the forum as our members do want to help and support you.

Pablo7

Jul 3, 2024
Hello, I've just joined the forum and I'm looking for advice and help with the care of my mother who suffers from Vascular Dementia

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @Pablo7.

I'm sorry to read about your mum. You might find it helpful to start a thread in this area of the forum.

You could use it to ask questions, share concerns or just share how you feel. In the meantime these links may be helpful-