Say hello and introduce yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Nothing against Americans Beth, my mum/mom was one. What is available differs between each country of the UK as to help compassion on here knows no boarders or boundaries, all here to help if we can.
K

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @BethTH and welcome to Dementia Support Forum. You will find this to be a helpful and friendly community of people who have experience of many aspects of dementia. You can ask questions, join in with conversations, share with people who truly understand and let off steam when you need to. While health, care and legal systems differ, dementia doesn't recognise any borders and it is likely that any behaviours and issues that you come across will have been experienced here too. I hope that you find the support that you need here.

Gentle

Feb 19, 2024
Hi, I found this group doing research about my mum today. I've been reading posts and comments and this is the first time in all these years of being her primary carer that I have seen the feelings I am dealing with expressed, and handled with such kindness and wisdom too. Mum is now in the stable palliative stage, whatever that may be for her, and today I met with the manager and rn of her care home to discuss what drugs to cease, what to add and so on. I want her to be free with all my heart. This is no life for her. However I know we may only be at the beginning of another distressing time for her and for those who love her. I am here to learn and take confort, and perhaps give it too if I can.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @Gentle and welcome to the Forum. You will find this to be a helpful and friendly community of people who have experience of many aspects of dementia. You can ask questions, join in with conversations, share with people who truly understand and let off steam when you need to. Thank you for your kind words. I hope that you find the support that you need here.

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Hello @Gentle and a welcome from me too to this friendly and supportive forum.

I am sorry to read about your Mum. It sounds as though you are doing your very best to care for your Mum at this continuing very difficult stage. You are right, it is likely to be still a bit of a rollercoaster of emotions going forward, but the important thing is that your Mum is comfortable and pain free. I so needed my own Mum to be free of this awful disease in the end; that is only natural.
Please do keep posting - you will find bags of support and understanding here from members that really do want to help.

Gentle

Feb 19, 2024
Hello @Gentle and a welcome from me too to this friendly and supportive forum.

I am sorry to read about your Mum. It sounds as though you are doing your very best to care for your Mum at this continuing very difficult stage. You are right, it is likely to be still a bit of a rollercoaster of emotions going forward, but the important thing is that your Mum is comfortable and pain free. I so needed my own Mum to be free of this awful disease in the end; that is only natural.
Please do keep posting - you will find bags of support and understanding here from members that really do want to help

gillymorr

Feb 18, 2024
Hi I’m Gill and I care for my 90 year old mum who has vascular dementia. We muddle through with the help of carers but life is becoming increasingly difficult for mum. I’m hoping to get tips and advice on how best to support mum and manage my own well-being.

Victoria81

Feb 21, 2024
Hello everyone!
I'm Victoria, I am supporting my aunt through her Alzheimers experience. She doesn't live close by so its pretty tough. She is super independent so finds it all very uncomfortable, understandably. She currently lives in the cooperative shared house and doesn't have the support she needs. I have LPA and am currently trying to navigate the further approvals required to access her banking, apply for housing benefit, attendance allowance and work out if there is anything else (i find it all very complicated and lack time)! Once i have some benefits I aim to organise some food deliveries and chiropodist visits as I am pretty sure she is struggling to look after herself. She recently had 2 falls (and was sure she didn't fall), luckily they were not serious. But its all very worrying!!!

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Hello @Victoria81 and firstly welcome to this friendly and supportive forum. There is a lot of shared experience of dementia here and members really do want to help. I am glad you have found us.

I am sorry to read about your Aunt. It's great that you are supporting her even though you live a distance away. It's a tough call for sure. It is good that she is able to live independently. However, if she is prone to falls, you may want to consider a bit of extra care support for her now at home, in order to try to prevent a serious crisis.
Great that you have LPA sorted, Again, even if you do arrange food deliveries for her, will she remember they're there and to actually eat something?
Please remember you'll always find true understanding here. The following link may help for local support:

Victoria81

Feb 21, 2024
Hello @Victoria81 and firstly welcome to this friendly and supportive forum. There is a lot of shared experience of dementia here and members really do want to help. I am glad you have found us.

I am sorry to read about your Aunt. It's great that you are supporting her even though you live a distance away. It's a tough call for sure. It is good that she is able to live independently. However, if she is prone to falls, you may want to consider a bit of extra care support for her now at home, in order to try to prevent a serious crisis.
Great that you have LPA sorted, Again, even if you do arrange food deliveries for her, will she remember they're there and to actually eat something?
Please remember you'll always find true understanding here. The following link may help for local support:
thank you

SelahRosario

Feb 22, 2024
Hello I'm honored to be a part of this supportive community dedicated to navigating the complexities of dementia. I wanted to take a moment to introduce myself and share a bit about my personal journey with this challenging condition. Several years ago, my family received the heartbreaking news that my father had been diagnosed with dementia. It was a diagnosis that turned our world upside down and plunged us into a whirlwind of emotions – fear, sadness, and uncertainty about what the future would hold.
Being a part of this forum is an opportunity for me to connect with others who are walking a similar path, to share my experiences, and to learn from the wisdom and insights of fellow members. Together, we can offer each other comfort, guidance, and hope as we navigate the ups and downs of the dementia journey.
I look forward to getting to know each of you and sharing in this journey of understanding, compassion, and support.

Evb77

Feb 25, 2024
Hi, my name is Eve, we have recently had to deal with getting care for my FIL following a rapid decline in health over the last year that culminated in him being “befriended” by local scum and money taken from him.

Now my MIL (separated from FIL and remarried), who has been slowly deteriorating since the pandemic is getting to a point where we have to deal with it. She’s adamant there is nothing wrong with her and loses her temper often.

My partner is coping, just, with both parents needing additional attention. But my MIL’s husband is exhausted!!

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello and welcome to the Dementia Support Forum @Evb77. I see that you have already posted in the Memory Concerns area and have received some good advice. I hope that you find the forum a friendly and helpful place.

Evb77

Feb 25, 2024
Hello and welcome to the Dementia Support Forum @Evb77. I see that you have already posted in the Memory Concerns area and have received some good advice. I hope that you find the forum a friendly and helpful place.
I certainly do! Yes, sorry for repeating myself. I can’t believe I’ve had so many responses, so quickly. I really appreciate everyone taking the time to get back to me. It’s helped us form a plan. Hopefully keep you all posted.

Lon068

Feb 25, 2024
Sydney, Australia
Hi, I'm Lisa and my Mum has vascular dementia and moved in to a home last July. This all happened after her conditioned deteriorate suddenly in early April at the same time that my sister passed away suddenly, which I definitley think was related.
We consulted with Mums doctor and dementia support person and made the difficult decision not to tell her about my sisters death. It was the right decision but its so upsetting and heartbreaking, especially for my sisters 22 year old son, that she now never mentions my sister even though we have lots of photos on the wall in her room. In fact she doesn't even seem to have noticed that she is no longer in her own home.
I live in Sydney Australia but all my family are still in or around London. I'm lucky in that I get to come to the UK regularly for work but that just means I notice her decline more each time. I miss her.......I miss my sister and can't even talk to Mum about it.
Thanks for this site and the opportunity to say things out loud in writing when it's impossible to speak them at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.