Terms and Rules
Terms and Conditions of Use of Dementia Talking Point
Dementia Talking Point is an online community and its forums are provided as a space for peer-to-peer support.
1. Purpose of Dementia Talking Point
- 1.1 The purpose of this site is to provide a safe space for people to share experiences and help each other cope with the challenges of living with or caring for people with dementia.
- 1.2 The moderators of this site cannot be expected to pre-check the content posted via the discussion system and therefore we make no claims as to the accuracy, integrity, timeliness or quality of such content.
- 1.3 This site facilitates peer support; it should not be used as a substitute for professional advice. You should consult your doctor, or other relevant professional, before making any decisions that could affect you or others.
2. Conduct Expected of Users
- 2.1 Participation in, and use of this site is at the user's own risk.
- 2.2 All views and information, whether publicly posted or privately transmitted are individual and not the views, policy or advice of Alzheimer's Society. You understand and acknowledge that content is the sole responsibility of the person from which such content originated.
- 2.3 The naming of health or care providers, legal services and/or their individual staff is prohibited, with the exception of posters who have sought prior permission to do so from Alzheimer’s Society. In all other circumstances, Alzheimer's Society aims to remove such references, but has no obligation to do so.
- 2.4 The use of the message boards for gathering information for surveys, articles and research studies, or similar, is prohibited unless prior permission has been given by Alzheimer's Society.
- 2.5 The Dementia Talking Point staff and volunteer team will be notified when users under the age of 18 join the community and these accounts may need to be manually approved.
- 2.6 Users under 13 must seek permission from their parent or guardian in order to gain membership of this site. While we welcome participation from members under 13, we will ask for details in order to contact a parent or guardian and seek permission.
- 2.7 You agree not to participate in mischievous or malicious behaviour which causes damage or may cause damage to Alzheimer's Society or this site or any of the computer systems on which this site resides.
- 2.8 By using this site you agree to these terms and conditions. If you do not agree to these terms and conditions Alzheimer's Society reserves the right to prohibit you from using this site.
3. Postings and Messages
- 3.1 Content that is posted to this site or otherwise included in its private messaging systems, including your choice of public name or id, must follow these conditions.
- 3.2 Messages must not be obscene, defamatory or libellous, inflammatory, vulgar, sexually orientated, racial, political, hateful, threatening, in violation of any laws or good morals and practice or personally abusive. You hereby undertake to indemnify and hold harmless Alzheimer's Society against all costs and expenses from any such actions by you.
- 3.3 Messages containing personal contact details (full names, email addresses/links, phone numbers, fax numbers or postal addresses) are not allowed except with the prior written consent of Alzheimer's Society.
- 3.4 Messages containing personal endorsement of products and services that may be of benefit to our users may be permitted. Messages, usernames and profile information deemed to contain commercial advertising, and unsolicited messages for the purpose of advertising a product or service, are not permitted on this site.
- 3.5 Posts raising funds for causes other than Alzheimer's Society in the UK may be removed. People wishing to fundraise for causes other than Alzheimer's Society should consult the Online Community Manager by emailing email@example.com before posting.
- 3.6 Messages advertising items, whether for sale or donation, are not permitted on this site. This includes offers of second-hand equipment.
- 3.7 Messages must not be excessively repeated intentionally, and discussions should not be ‘bumped’ to bring them to the top of the most recent posts.
- 3.8 Messages must be posted in English, as we are not able to moderate and review messages posted in other languages.
- 3.9 Messages must not infringe or violate another party's rights (including, but not limited to, copyright and/or intellectual property rights, and rights of privacy and publicity).
- 3.10 Please do not post medical, legal or financial information in an advisory capacity. Alzheimer's Society aims to remove such content, but has no obligation to do so.
- 3.11 Posts discouraging members from seeking relevant professional advice (legal, medical or otherwise) are not permitted.
- 3.12 Please do not promote, advocate or post unsubstantiated claims about alternative or complementary therapies on this site.
- 3.13 Members may share how their religion or faith is helpful to them in a respectful and constructive manner. Members must not tell other members what to believe, attack the beliefs of others, or use the forums for proselytising.
- 3.14 Please ensure that any messages or links that you post are relevant to the discussion. Irrelevant content may be removed. Alzheimer's Society is not responsible for the content of external websites and may remove external links without further notice.
- 3.15 Alzheimer's Society may from time to time edit or remove posts that are contrary to these terms and conditions or not constructive to the overall purpose and mission of Dementia Talking Point and/or Alzheimer's Society.
- 3.16 You agree to respect the privacy and wishes of those users who you have been privately messaging. You must not pass on details to third parties (except Alzheimer's Society) without permission.
- 3.17 When sending or receiving a private message you acknowledge they may be viewed by Alzheimer’s Society or its representatives for the purposes of investigating a problem or a breach of these terms and conditions.
- 3.18 You have the ability to edit posts within 24 hours of publication. After that time, you may contact Dementia Talking Point staff to request amendments but Alzheimer's Society is under no automatic obligation to amend posts.
4. Moderation and Banning
- 4.1 Alzheimer's Society has the right, but no obligation, to remove, edit, move or close any message or group of messages for any reason.
- 4.2 Alzheimer's Society is not obliged to enter into any correspondence regarding the moderation of content on the Dementia Talking Point discussion system.
- 4.3 Alzheimer's Society has the right to modify or delete any or all information relating to a user, including closure of that user's account, without prior notice or reason.
- 4.4 Any removal or banning of a visitor from anywhere within Dementia Talking Point is binding and the decision is final. No correspondence will be entered into, nor will the staff team or volunteer moderators be obliged to explain such banning.
- 4.5 Posts discussing moderator actions are not permitted. Members who wish to take issue with any decision made by a moderator should either contact the moderating team or the Online Community Manager privately by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Posts discussing moderators' decisions on Dementia Talking Point will be removed without notice, and may result in further moderator action.
- 4.6 In cases of dispute, the decision of the Online Community Manager at Alzheimer's Society shall be final.
5. Privacy, your Data and Data Protection
- 5.2 Your data is kept in line with the expectation that members can use the service continuously. Members are able to request account closure and data removal by contacting the Online Community Manager by emailing email@example.com.
- 5.3 Alzheimer’s Society may grant permission for your data to be used for academic research purposes. This data is anonymised before analysis takes place. If you wish to request that your data is excluded from analysis by researchers, please contact the Online Community Manager by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- 5.4 Alzheimer’s Society may receive requests to use comments posted by you for publication in academic research studies, or for other reports or publications. You hereby consent to your comments being provided in response to such requests and being used by the recipient for such purposes as they require for as long as required. As far as is possible members of the Dementia Talking Point staff team will contact you to notify you that your comments are to be used in publications and studies. If however you wish to be excluded from these requests, please contact the Online Community Manager by emailing email@example.com
- 5.5 You are able to contact us to ask us to amend information held about you which you believe to be incorrect or incomplete. You can contact us by using the contact link at the bottom of every page on this site or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
6. Notice of Action and Changes to Terms & Conditions
- 6.1 Where a breach of these terms and conditions occurs Alzheimer's Society reserves the right to take such action as it sees fit.
- 6.2 Any reference to third party organisations and their websites, product/s, service/s or employees does not imply endorsement by Alzheimer's Society.
- 6.3 This agreement shall be governed in accordance with the laws of England and Wales.
- 6.4 The terms and conditions of this agreement are subject to change by Alzheimer's Society at any time. Any user's usage of this site following changes shall indicate the user's acceptance of the new agreement.
7. Exclusion of Liability
- 7.1 Alzheimer's Society hereby excludes all and any losses, liabilities, claims, damages, expenses or costs (whether as a consequence of its negligence or otherwise) arising in connection with:
- your use or inability to use Dementia Talking Point;
- any unauthorised access to or alterations of information provided by you;
- your use of any third party websites (including without limitation those that may be connected by hyperlink to this site);
- any arrangements entered into with any third party in connection with any information provided by or in connection with this site;
- the inaccuracy, incompleteness or tardiness of any information supplied through the service other than, in each case, any liability in respect of death or personal injury.
- 8.1 'this site' refers to all Dementia Talking Point Forum Internet pages in the forum.alzheimers.org.uk sub-domain.
- 8.2 'Alzheimer's Society' includes to any person or organisation involved in any part of the design, development, operation, marketing, promotion or other similar aspects of this site.
- 8.3 'user' and 'you' refer to any person viewing or interacting with this site.
- 8.4 'content' refers to any text, photograph or other image presented on this site to users by either Alzheimer's Society or users.
- 8.5 'messages' includes all private messages, posts on the main forum and in social groups, blog entries and user profile listings.
If you have any comments or complaints about Dementia Talking Point or any of its members, please write to email@example.com
Terms and Conditions of Use: Last updated May 2018