Welcome to Talking Point - an online community for everyone who is affected by dementia. Whether you have dementia or know someone who does, we will be there for you.
Hi everyone, Talking Point is back! We’ve updated the software in order to improve security, design, and the way the community works, and introduced some helpful features.
Terms and Rules
Terms and Conditions of Use of Talking Point
These online forums are meant as a support group for peer-to-peer discussions, and are not an official channel for Alzheimer's Society. Moderators and Hosts are all volunteers, who are selected and recruited by Alzheimer's Society.
1. Purpose of Talking Point
- 1.1 The purpose of this site is to provide a safe forum for people to share experiences and help each other cope with the challenges of living with or caring for people with dementia.
- 1.2 The moderators of this site cannot be expected to pre-check the content posted via the discussion system and therefore we make no claims as to the accuracy, integrity, timeliness or quality of such content.
- 1.3 This site facilitates peer support; it should not be used as a substitute for professional advice. You should consult your doctor, or other relevant professional, before making any decisions that could affect you or others.
2. Conduct Expected of Users2.1 Participation in, and use of this site is at the user's own risk.
- 2.2 All views and information, whether publicly posted or privately transmitted are individual and not the views, policy or advice of Alzheimer's Society. You understand and acknowledge that content is the sole responsibility of the person from which such content originated.
- 2.3 The naming of health or care providers, legal services and/or their individual staff is prohibited, with the exception of posters who have sought prior permission to do so from Alzheimer’s Society. In all other circumstances, Alzheimer's Society aims to remove such references, but has no obligation to do so.
- 2.4 The use of the message boards for gathering information for surveys, articles and research studies, or similar, is prohibited unless prior permission has been given by Alzheimer's Society.
- 2.5 All users under the age of 13 must seek permission from their parent or guardian in order to gain membership of this site. While we welcome participation from members under 13, we require that a parent or guardian fax or mail back a signed permission form before we grant membership.
- 2.6 You agree not to participate in mischievous or malicious behaviour which causes damage or may cause damage to Alzheimer's Society or this site or any of the computer systems on which this site resides.
- 2.7 By using this site you agree to these terms and conditions. If you do not agree to these terms and conditions Alzheimer's Society reserves the right to prohibit you from using this site.
3. Postings and Messages
- 3.1 Content that is posted to this site or otherwise included in its private messaging systems, including your choice of public name or id, must follow these conditions.
- 3.2 Messages must not be obscene, defamatory or libellous, inflammatory, vulgar, sexually orientated, racial, political, hateful, threatening, in violation of any laws or good morals and practice or personally abusive. You hereby undertake to indemnify and hold harmless Alzheimer's Society against all costs and expenses from any such actions by you.
- 3.3 Messages containing personal contact details (full names, email addresses/links, phone numbers, fax numbers or postal addresses) are not allowed except with the prior written consent of Alzheimer's Society.
- 3.4 Messages containing personal endorsement of products and services that may be of benefit to our users, may be permitted. Messages, usernames and profile information deemed to contain commercial advertising, and unsolicited messages for the purpose of advertising a product or service, are not permitted on this site.
- 3.5 Posts raising funds for causes other than Alzheimer's Society in the UK may be removed. People wishing to fundraise for causes other than Alzheimer's Society should consult the Talking Point Manager before posting on this forum. [Needs a link out to guidance page on this]
- 3.6 Messages advertising items, whether for sale or donation, are not permitted on this site. This includes offers of second-hand equipment.
- 3.7 Messages must not be excessively repeated intentionally.
- 3.8 Messages must be posted in English, as Talking Point is an English-speaking community.
- 3.9 Messages must not infringe or violate another party's rights (including, but not limited to, copyright and/or intellectual property rights, and rights of privacy and publicity).
- 3.10 Please do not post medical, legal or financial information in an advisory capacity. Alzheimer's Society aims to remove such content, but has no obligation to do so.
- 3.11 Posts discouraging members from seeking relevant professional advice (legal, medical or otherwise) are not permitted on the forum.
- 3.12 Please do not promote, advocate or post unsubstantiated claims about alternative or complementary therapies on this site.
- 3.13 Please ensure that any messages or links that you post are relevant to the discussion. Irrelevant content may be removed. Alzheimer's Society is not responsible for the content of external websites and may remove external links without further notice.
- 3.14 Alzheimer's Society may from time to time edit or remove posts that are contrary to these terms and conditions or not constructive to the overall purpose and mission of Talking Point and/or Alzheimer's Society.
- 3.15 You agree to respect the privacy and wishes of those users who you have been privately messaging. You must not pass on details to third parties (except Alzheimer's Society) without permission.
- 3.16 By sending or receiving a private message you consent to them being viewed by Alzheimer's Society or its representatives, where Alzheimer's Society have been notified of a problem or a breach of these terms and conditions.
- 3.17 You have the ability to edit posts within 24 hours of publication. After that time, you may contact Talking Point staff to request amendments but Alzheimer's Society is under no automatic obligation to amend posts.
4. Moderation and Banning
- 4.1 Alzheimer's Society has the right, but no obligation, to remove, edit, move or close any message or group of messages for any reason.
- 4.2 Alzheimer's Society is not obliged to enter into any correspondence regarding the moderation of content on the Talking Point discussion system.
- 4.3 Alzheimer's Society has the right to modify or delete any or all information relating to a user, including closure of that user's account, without prior notice or reason.
- 4.4 Any removal or banning of a visitor from anywhere within Talking Point is binding and the decision is final. No correspondence will be entered into, nor will forum managers or moderators be obliged to explain such banning.
- 4.5 Posts discussing moderator actions are not permitted on this forum. Members who wish to take issue with any decision made by a moderator should either contact the moderating team or the Talking Point Manager privately. Posts discussing moderators' decisions on Talking Point will be removed without notice, and may result in further moderator action.
- 4.6 In cases of dispute, the decision of the Talking Point Manager at Alzheimer's Society shall be final.
5. Privacy, your Data and Data Protection
- 5.1 As Talking Point is an online community, when you register you are asked to provide an email address and to choose a username and password. IP addresses are automatically collected with site usage. The aforementioned data is only processed by volunteers and staff on a need to know basis.
- 5.2 When you use Talking Point, you voluntarily share data which could include personal data. This is viewed by other members. We advise members to take care with the nature of information shared and reserve the right to remove any data that we feel is inappropriate or puts the user at risk.
- 5.3 Your data is kept in line with the expectation that members can use the service continuously. Members are able to request account closure and data removal by contacting the Talking Point Manager privately.
- 5.4 We do not share any personal information about you, except where you have given permission.
- 5.5 Cookies are used to assist the functionality of the website only; personal data is not collected via cookies.
- 5.6 From time to time Alzheimer's Society may contact you for administration purposes.
6. Notice of Action and Changes to Terms & Conditions
- 6.1 Where a breach of these terms and conditions occurs Alzheimer's Society reserves the right to take such action as it sees fit.
- 6.2 Any reference to third party organisations, their product/s, service/s or staff does not imply endorsement by Alzheimer's Society.
- 6.3 This agreement shall be governed in accordance with the laws of England and Wales.
- 6.4 The terms and conditions of this agreement are subject to change by Alzheimer's Society at any time. Any user's usage of this site following changes shall indicate the user's acceptance of the new agreement.
7. Exclusion of Liability
- 7.1 Alzheimer's Society hereby excludes all and any losses, liabilities, claims, damages, expenses or costs (whether as a consequence of its negligence or otherwise) arising in connection with:
- your use or inability to use Talking Point;
- any unauthorised access to or alterations of information provided by you;
- your use of any third party websites (including without limitation those that may be connected by hyperlink to this site);
- any arrangements entered into with any third party in connection with any information provided by or in connection with this site;
- the inaccuracy, incompleteness or tardiness of any information supplied through the service other than, in each case, any liability in respect of death or personal injury.
- 8.1 'this site' refers to all Talking Point Forum Internet pages in the forum.alzheimers.org.uk sub-domain.
- 8.2 'Alzheimer's Society' includes to any person or organisation involved in any part of the design, development, operation, marketing, promotion or other similar aspects of this site.
- 8.3 'user' and 'you' refer to any person viewing or interacting with this site.
- 8.4 'content' refers to any text, photograph or other image presented on this site to users by either Alzheimer's Society or users.
- 8.5 'messages' includes all private messages, posts on the main forum and in social groups, blog entries and user profile listings.
If you have any comments or complaints about Talking Point or any of its members, please write to email@example.com
Terms and Conditions of Use: Last updated September 2017