Say hello and introduce yourself

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
Welcome to Dementia Support Forum :)

However you have been affected by dementia, our community is a place to get support from others.

Say hello

This is our welcome thread - the place many members start. Our volunteers and regular members are here to say hello to you and to welcome you to our community.

This thread is for you to say hello and tell us a little bit about yourself, and your connection to dementia.

Whatever you're facing today, we hope you find our community to be helpful and supportive.

How to use the community

To post a new thread:
  1. Click here to see the list of forums on the homepage. Under 'Support from other members' you'll find a list of different areas of the community. Choose the one which seems most relevant to you or your question.
  2. Click on the yellow button that says 'Post thread'.
  3. Type in a title and then write your message in the text box. Once you've done that, click on the yellow button that says 'Post thread'. Other members will now be able to reply to you :)
Any questions?

If you have any questions, you can email us on DementiaSupportForum@alzheimers.org.uk - we're here to help.

AndyP1954

Jun 6, 2024
Hello
My 93 year-old mother-in-law was diagnosed with dementia a few years back. Her 92 year-old husband cares for her at home with daily daytime visits from carers, provided by the local council.
My wife and I also provide support, as do my two sisters-in-law.

I've joined the forum looking for support from members and to provide any assistance that I can, based on our experiences.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Welcome @AndyP1954

Your in-laws sound amazing, still to be caring for each other in their 90`s.

I hope you get the support you need and I`m sure your experiences will be valuable to others as well.

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Welcome from me also @AndyP1954 to this friendly and supportive forum. There is a wealth of shared experience of dementia to be found here so I am glad you have found us.

I'm sorry to read about your in laws. They do sound an amazing couple.
You will always find total understanding here from people that really do want to help. It's also a great place to let off a bit of steam if and when you may need to!

Rangichangi

Jun 7, 2024
Hi, my mum had dementia. Thanks for this forum, it's really helpful to know a place to get advice from people more experienced in Coping with it. Thanks all

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Welcome from me too @June38 and another welcome to you @Rangichangi.

How are you both managing? Do you have any help and support?

I hope you will both find this forum both helpful and supportive

Last edited by a moderator:

Maria1965

Jun 10, 2024
Hello everyone,
I look after my 93yr old mum with Alzheimers. Mum lives on her own with Timmy her dog, and i care for her along with carers for 2 hours a day. I have joined to look for support and information and really to convince myself i'm strong enough to cope with all the changes that i can see happening to mum.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Welcome to the forum @Maria1965

I hope you will find the forum helpful and supportive.

Please do not hesitate to get help if your mum`s care gets too much for you.

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Hello @Maria1965 and welcome from me also to this friendly and supportive forum. There is a wealth of shared experience of dementia here, so I am glad you have found us.

I'm sorry to read about your Mum. It's wonderful that she has you, together with carer support to look after her and keep her safe. There will be changes, as you have suggested, as this is a cruel progressive disease. But please do have a good look around the forums, and ask any particular questions you may like to. People here really do want to help. Oh, and by the way, it's a great place to have a bit of a vent when you might need to.

Loz_R

Jun 4, 2024
Hi, my father passed away back in 2013 from Alzheimer's which he had probably had for about 15 years and now my mother has dementia and Alzheimer's. There has been quite a dramatic change in her in the past month. We are very lucky to have a live-in carer but now I am working part-time in order to give the carer time-off to catch up on sleep as my mother is awake a lot of the night. It's been very stressful, we are all so tired. She is now almost fully doubly incontinent and doesn't know who I am any more though does know to call me my name when I'm here. So there is a bit of memory there. Our carer is amazing with her, so much more patient than I am when I was looking after her on my own. It's taken a long time to get everyone on board with so many decisions that have to be made along with all the maintenance costs to keep her in her house etc. My anxiety about money is just enormous!

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Hello @Loz_R and welcome to this friendly and supportive forum.

I am sorry to read about your Mum. It's tough for you, having had one parent go through this cruel disease already. I do feel for you.
Some changes can be quite slow, others quite sudden and quick - everyone is different. It is good that you have arranged live in care. It is tiring for sure ; there's no getting round that, but I hope you get some time for yourself and have some 'me time'. Take care.

Loz_R

Jun 4, 2024
Hello @Loz_R and welcome to this friendly and supportive forum.

I am sorry to read about your Mum. It's tough for you, having had one parent go through this cruel disease already. I do feel for you.
Some changes can be quite slow, others quite sudden and quick - everyone is different. It is good that you have arranged live in care. It is tiring for sure ; there's no getting round that, but I hope you get some time for yourself and have some 'me time'. Take care.
Thanks, unfortunately I don't get much time to myself as if I'm not at work, then I'm doing shopping etc., for the carer and my mother. It feels endless!

Jim287

May 30, 2024
Hi there, I'm Jim, I've joined because my mother has had a recent diagnosis of mild Alzheimers. It's a lot to take in for her and her family and we're looking for some friendly and caring advice to help guide us.

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Hello and welcome from me also @Jim287 to this friendly and supportive forum.

I'm sorry to read about your mother's recent diagnosis. It's tough for sure, even if you were half expecting it. The following link may help with information:
Do have a good look around the forums and ask any particular questions you may like to. You'll always find understanding and a listening ear here. It's also a good place to let off a bit of steam when you need to.

KatharineJ

Jun 15, 2024
Hello everyone, my Dad was diagnosed with Alzheimer's yesterday. We knew something was happening with his memory and I think we knew this was coming but it's still left us all feeling completely wiped out. I just feel incredibly sad and overwhelmed. I felt so guilty leaving my Mum & him yesterday to come home. I'm sitting here thinking how I can best juggle my own family life (with 3 teenagers!) with the needs of my Mum & Dad. I'm sure I'm not alone in this situation, so just reaching out for friendly advice and support.