Toileting issues

PES

Dec 15, 2022
My husband has Alzheimer's and recently has started to defeacate anywhere around the house or outside in the garden. Usually I can sense when he needs to use the bathroom and with lots of encouragement and patience I am successful in getting him to use the toilet.
Lately however it has been more challenging.
If pull-ups are soiled or worse still he has been unable to complete the task how can I help to clean and wash him esp as aggression comes to play? I find this so stressful and am now at the stage where I am reluctant to go to visit friends or go to church in case this situation arises in public.
He would be mortified if he knew this was happening.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Oh @PES I am so sorry that this is happening to you. As dementia progresses these issues increase. Do you have any carers coming in to give you some help, sometimes people with dementia will respond better to someone 'official'.
I have attached some information which you might find useful and hopefully some of our members who have experience of this issue will offer you some advice.

PES

Dec 15, 2022
Thank you for this reply. I have most of these In place already . Unfortunately I am having difficulty in getting a coloured seat for the shape of the toilet but I do use bloo block to colour the water in the bowl . I used to use a sensor light on the toilet rim but this was constantly removed.
Less fluid before bed is difficult as a full glass,or more, is needed to swallow tablets!!
Some medication is given in liquid format but not all.
Elastic waisted jogging trousers are worn. If trousers are lowered enough all is good but if not Splashes on clothes means a change of clothes maybe 4 times a day!
Toileting issues are the most challenging at the minute.
Keeping calm and not showing annoyance is sooo difficult.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
It is such a difficult issue to deal with and as you say to keep calm, especially if you are tired. Regarding the red toilet seats, these are available on the Amazon site.

cynthiahooks72

May 30, 2024
My dad is in late stage of vascular dementia and he always used the bathroom on his own until a couple days ago. I have been taking him to the toilet all day and helping him. Now he is sundowning or something cause every time I fall asleep I hear him up on the monitor roaming around his room pooping his pull ups. Prayers needed that I can take care of him for the rest of his journey.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Has he possibly got a tummy bug @cynthiahooks72 ?
It certainly sounds like hes got diarrhoea and any sort of infection can increase confusion in people with dementia.
Id contact your GP or pharmacy

Edit to say that Ive just read your other post and Im guessing that you are in US - its his family doctor (PCP?) that you need to contact to rule out an infection

Springfield

Dec 18, 2021
I too struggle with continence issues. My OH has Frontotemporal Dementia. He had a new hip 5 weeks ago. Before the hip op he struggled to get to the loo in time and had to start using pads. Whilst in hospital he started having poo incontinence which was very difficult to manage. When he came home I realised the hospital had been giving him laxatives. He definitely does not need them!
His mobility is improving and he is not now in pain but he will wee ANYWHERE. He will wander off and wee in the garden, but when we visit anywhere this is just not acceptable. He is very stubborn and will not listen to any advice.
The mess in the bathroom is sometimes terrible and if he tries to clean up it is everywhere. I really struggle with it all. I have asked for help for continence but there is a four month waiting list!!!!
I seem to be washing every day.

PES

Dec 15, 2022
This is so difficult. Until you get help from continence team could you buy pull ups by Tena.
Pads can be pulled out to easily I think by the person. I agree washing machine is on constantly.
For cleaning bathroom I read somewhere that cheap shaving foam sprayed and left on for 30 mins helps to alleviate any smell of urine around toilet .. it seems to work.
Faecal incontinence is very difficult to manage as the person is embarrassed and that's when agitation and frustration comes into play!!
Hope you get sorted with continence team asap.
Have you got Radar key for disability toilets when out and about? Very useful to have.

PES

Dec 15, 2022
It is such a difficult issue to deal with and as you say to keep calm, especially if you are tired. Regarding the red toilet seats, these are available on the Amazon site.
Thank you. Will try Amazon. I never imagined there could be so many different shaped toilet bowls...I can find normal shaped seats and D shaped seats but not the squarish type we have.
A new bathroom was fitted at the start of this journey when there were no issues!

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Thank you. Will try Amazon. I never imagined there could be so many different shaped toilet bowls...I can find normal shaped seats and D shaped seats but not the squarish type we have.
A new bathroom was fitted at the start of this journey when there were no issues!
Yes, it could be difficult to find one to fit. Might be useful to go back to whoever fitted the bathroom to ask if they have anything suitable.

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
Thank you for this reply. I have most of these In place already . Unfortunately I am having difficulty in getting a coloured seat for the shape of the toilet but I do use bloo block to colour the water in the bowl . I used to use a sensor light on the toilet rim but this was constantly removed.
Less fluid before bed is difficult as a full glass,or more, is needed to swallow tablets!!
Some medication is given in liquid format but not all.
Elastic waisted jogging trousers are worn. If trousers are lowered enough all is good but if not Splashes on clothes means a change of clothes maybe 4 times a day!
Toileting issues are the most challenging at the minute.
Keeping calm and not showing annoyance is sooo difficult.
@PES, Elastic waisted jogging trousers are worn. If trousers are lowered enough all is good but if not Splashes on clothes means a change of clothes maybe 4 times a day!

I have the same problem with splashing and dribbling .

I don't know if this will work for you but...

I have cut a puppy pad into quarters and pop one between my OH legs so it rests on his trousers to catch drips. It works most of the time and saves a trouser change. 😊 Just make sure you get the absorbent side up ,I occasionally have the wrong way round in my rush and then it doesn't work🤣

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
Also ,how about trying coloured static fitting film on the seat in til you can get something more permanent ?

PES

Dec 15, 2022
Yes, it could be difficult to find one to fit. Might be useful to go back to whoever fitted the bathroom to ask if they have anything suitable.
Did that too!! Problem is you can't buy and return a seat once opened.
I will need to be able to measure everything to a T and hope for the fit.

PES

Dec 15, 2022
@PES, Elastic waisted jogging trousers are worn. If trousers are lowered enough all is good but if not Splashes on clothes means a change of clothes maybe 4 times a day!

I have the same problem with splashing and dribbling .

I don't know if this will work for you but...

I have cut a puppy pad into quarters and pop one between my OH legs so it rests on his trousers to catch drips. It works most of the time and saves a trouser change. 😊 Just make sure you get the absorbent side up ,I occasionally have the wrong way round in my rush and then it doesn't work🤣

PES

Dec 15, 2022
Also ,how about trying coloured static fitting film on the seat in til you can get something more permanent ?
I have used coloured masking tape...worked for 1 week and I thought problem was solved but now that gets removed constantly too.
Thank you for your suggestions everyone

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
Buy an identical white one for the time you won't need a coloured seat and spray your current one with a can of plastic spray paint

I wish I'd bought two seats for mine as 15 years later I can't find a decent one that fits😊 although at the moment I have a seat raiser on the toilet that is better than the seat I had to buy

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Buy an identical white one for the time you won't need a coloured seat and spray your current one with a can of plastic spray paint

I wish I'd bought two seats for mine as 15 years later I can't find a decent one that fits😊 although at the moment I have a seat raiser on the toilet that is better than the seat I had to buy
That sounds like a good idea.

PES

Dec 15, 2022
I have tried this since your post and it has been a success most of the time...slipping it in without being noticed is the key!! Thank you , definitely less washing since.