Dad appeared to "come back" for 24 hours??!!

Trezanne

Mar 25, 2024
Hello... I wonder if anybody can advise me?? My dad has an Alzheimer's diagnosis ...this is fairly recent...he is 77. He has gone downhill very rapidly in the last 18 months....seems like he's hardly with us....almost no short term memory. Anyway, he was rushed into hospital with sepsis recently and was put on oxygen and antibiotics and 24 hours later he was ringing all the family members ...he was back to his old self...it was unbelievable . However as soon as he went home he was back to being non-communicative and quiet again. I've asked his GP to look into this.... whether the increased oxygen or the antibiotics or the medical monitoring of his medications whilst in hospital could be the factor ? He appeared normal for 24 hours. The GP monitored his oxygen levels in his blood for a few weeks, and they were a little bit borderline... but no one is interested in investigating this further? My mum is so worn down that she doesn't want to pursue this .....she doesn't feel able to cope with getting him to appointments or anything. Maybe it's wrong for me to interfere... I feel at a loss....I don't live in the same part of the country, so it's really complicated for me to chase up anybody or be on hand to take my dad to appointments. Any advice would be appreciated

Trezanne

Mar 25, 2024
I would really like to know if anyone else has experienced this phenomenon with their loved one?

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hello @Trezanne

I have experienced this and I’ve read of it happening to others as well. I remember visiting my dad in hospital and having a normal pleasant conversation with my dad when he had advanced dementia and had said very little for months before. Sadly it didn’t last and he was soon back to his silent self again.

I doubt that there is much you can do to keep your dad at his old self - just make the most of these good days if you have any more of them.

Emmjan

Apr 4, 2024
I am a new reader. I am very interested in your experiences. My dad has been in hospital for 5 weeks now, 2.5 weeks ago, we had the talk with the doctors that my dad would not survive the week. He then made an amazing recovery , sitting up, laughing and smiling but within 48hrs he returned back to his normal baseline of frustration, anger and abuse And has remained so ever since. Couldn’t get my head round the extreme change.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hello and welcome.
Have a scan round here for moments of recognition, or lucidity isn't as rare as you might think. K

Trezanne

Mar 25, 2024
Hello @Trezanne

I have experienced this and I’ve read of it happening to others as well. I remember visiting my dad in hospital and having a normal pleasant conversation with my dad when he had advanced dementia and had said very little for months before. Sadly it didn’t last and he was soon back to his silent self again.

I doubt that there is much you can do to keep your dad at his old self - just make the most of these good days if you have any more of them.

Thanks for this...was this just for a day?? Did he go "quiet" again whilst still in hospital, or when he went home? Was your dad on oxygen or antibiotics at the time... what was he being treated for? Sorry to ask so many questions...

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Never apologise on here, no need at all, ask but never feel the need to say you're sorry. K

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Trezanne

Sorry for taking so long to reply I’ve come down with some sort of flu!

Dad was “normal” for just that day. He had just finished a course of antibiotics, and was being considered for discharge but, within a few hours, suffered a bleed on the brain and hardly spoke a word thereafter. He wasn’t on oxygen and I can’t think of a reason he should have been himself that day. It was a good afternoon.

Trezanne

Mar 25, 2024
Hi @Trezanne

Sorry for taking so long to reply I’ve come down with some sort of flu!

Dad was “normal” for just that day. He had just finished a course of antibiotics, and was being considered for discharge but, within a few hours, suffered a bleed on the brain and hardly spoke a word thereafter. He wasn’t on oxygen and I can’t think of a reason he should have been himself that day. It was a good afternoon.
Thank you so much for sharing this... heartbreaking for you I'm sure 😢

Trezanne

Mar 25, 2024
I am a new reader. I am very interested in your experiences. My dad has been in hospital for 5 weeks now, 2.5 weeks ago, we had the talk with the doctors that my dad would not survive the week. He then made an amazing recovery , sitting up, laughing and smiling but within 48hrs he returned back to his normal baseline of frustration, anger and abuse And has remained so ever since. Couldn’t get my head round the extreme change.
I'm so sorry, I've struggled knowing how to use the forum....I've only just realised I had these replies...may I ask what your dad was admitted to hospital for?? Did they put him on antibiotics or oxygen ?

Emmjan

Apr 4, 2024
We suspected he had a fall, and he had a high temp when taken in. He then got a virus, pneumonia when in hospital and he had fractured his hip. So he received both oxygen and antibiotics when in there.
He has since been home and has thrived

maisiecat

Oct 12, 2023
My husband is having what I call a "golden period" at the moment. I just enjoy them when they happen and also take the opportunity of him being able to be more involved in decisions.
I am afraid they don't last and I have no idea why they happen but I think they are common

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I never had experience of this with dad but I am concerned about your mum. She sounds exhausted. Does she have carers for your dad?

MaNaAk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikkinoonoo