Dear diary.......

Helly19682

Feb 26, 2024
Today......more joy. It looks as though the microwave has packed up. I fully expect to find unusual items stashed in it's innards (money, bus pass etc) causing the problem. Off to investigate later in my lunch break.

I also fear for the boiler as the carer and I were otherwise occupied, and found my father happily fiddling with the controls yesterday. Many years ago, in happier times, my father had a lizard living in the boiler (as you do!) which rather surprised the engineer who came to service it. I should say at that point, my father, though always eccentric, had capacity. The lizard was an intentional if unusual resident.

Yesterday my father told me he would like the ceiling in the living room replaced. Not a bad idea as it does have cracks. However, the upheaval, for him and the parrot would be enormous, so hoping to put this on the back burner.
Meanwhile, arranging a home podiatry visit, deciding about Covid vaccination and choosing a cover carer for when Daddy's carer goes on holiday. It never ends.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Today......more joy. It looks as though the microwave has packed up. I fully expect to find unusual items stashed in it's innards (money, bus pass etc) causing the problem. Off to investigate later in my lunch break.

I also fear for the boiler as the carer and I were otherwise occupied, and found my father happily fiddling with the controls yesterday. Many years ago, in happier times, my father had a lizard living in the boiler (as you do!) which rather surprised the engineer who came to service it. I should say at that point, my father, though always eccentric, had capacity. The lizard was an intentional if unusual resident.

Yesterday my father told me he would like the ceiling in the living room replaced. Not a bad idea as it does have cracks. However, the upheaval, for him and the parrot would be enormous, so hoping to put this on the back burner.
Meanwhile, arranging a home podiatry visit, deciding about Covid vaccination and choosing a cover carer for when Daddy's carer goes on holiday. It never ends.
i bet you go to work for a rest!!!!

Helly19682

Feb 26, 2024
@jennifer1967 - your not wrong!
In today's housebound people frustrations, foot service won't do home visits for veruccas. They suggested I try his GP. Been there, done that, no response.....

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
@jennifer1967 - your not wrong!
In today's housebound people frustrations, foot service won't do home visits for veruccas. They suggested I try his GP. Been there, done that, no response.....
i suppose could go to the chemist. i only get the podiatrist out because i have diabetes and i have very little feeling in my feet. my husband has diabetes but he has feeling in his feet so not eligible not that he needs it with me doing them for him. .

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Thanks for the replies everyone!
A surreal moment trying to explain to the chemist that even at a dose of 1 tablet 4 times a day (the lower suggested dose), 100 tablets are not going to last a month. Even Hercule laughed when I was telling Daddy and his carer later! Parrots for the win!
On a more serious note, Mirtazipine seems to be working to improve mood and sleep, so this is very welcome. The Community Mental Health team were helpful at their visit, and I now have a contact if he needs further medication or crisis intervention. Well hopefully anyway.
Lets see what today brings.......
Dear @Helly19682,

This reminds of the time when was about to go to rehearsal and I came downstairs to hear the carer trying to get dad to take his donepezil and statins medicine. Dad said:

"Okay I agree you take one I'll take the other. You first."

Hope you're okay @Helly19682 .

MaNaAk

Helly19682

Feb 26, 2024
@MaNaAk - the carers don't have to do anything with the snakes, Daddy and I take care of them. Recently my father has been talking about taking them back to the reptile shop to re-home them. Sad, but Daddy cannot remember the processes (getting out and thawing frozen food, giving it on tongs, throwing it away if uneaten) for feeding them and I think he's getting stressed when I have to do it.
It was so much a part of his life, but of course dementia strips away all of that. He still gets a lot of comfort from Hercule the Parrot, though he loses his temper with her very easily now. He can't really read her body language and behaviour. She is also now quite keen to be with me, which when Daddy is in a bad mood, makes him jealous.

Helly19682

Feb 26, 2024
More Dadmin - thank you to whoever on hear coined the phrase "Dadmin" it makes me smile each time I use it, though I hate the admin slog.
On today's list, trying again for a home podiatry appointment, booking a Covid jab and collecting stuff for samples from the GP. New microwave installed and food bought for the animals.
Daddy on good form on our regular trip to the garden centre last weekend. Physically he has recovered pretty well from his fall (now walking with a stick not a frame) and his cognition/mood not too bad, given that this was never likely to get better. He is getting accustomed to his live in carer, though she goes on holiday soon, so it'll be interesting to see how all that goes.
At this rate, I might be able to consider booking regular health appts (sadly neglected) for myself. Gosh, and again I emerge from behind the fog of caring.........

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
More Dadmin - thank you to whoever on hear coined the phrase "Dadmin" it makes me smile each time I use it, though I hate the admin slog.
On today's list, trying again for a home podiatry appointment, booking a Covid jab and collecting stuff for samples from the GP. New microwave installed and food bought for the animals.
Daddy on good form on our regular trip to the garden centre last weekend. Physically he has recovered pretty well from his fall (now walking with a stick not a frame) and his cognition/mood not too bad, given that this was never likely to get better. He is getting accustomed to his live in carer, though she goes on holiday soon, so it'll be interesting to see how all that goes.
At this rate, I might be able to consider booking regular health appts (sadly neglected) for myself. Gosh, and again I emerge from behind the fog of caring.........
sounds more positive. has he a stand in when the carer goes on holiday? you need to look after your own health but its all too easy to let it go by. i wish the doctors had a system for unpaid carers to make sure they are ok and their own health is being looked after

Helly19682

Feb 26, 2024
@jennifer1967 - yes the agency who provide the permanent carer provide a stand-in, they just couldn't cover the regular breaks, hence I am seeing another agency today.
I agree with you about unpaid carers. We are the forgotten, until you become a carer and then suddenly it is all too real.

Helly19682

Feb 26, 2024
@MaNaAk - thank you. I try to make time for myself. This weekend my partner and I are going to Bristol to see his family which will be good.
Podiatrist has not visited yet. £65 for private, I had no joy getting an NHS appointment.
The care agency workers were very taken by Hercule yesterday. She announced herself into a lull in the conversation and they were charmed.
Less charming is having "Pop Goes the Weasel" whistled at top volume all morning. Could be worse, at least she does not swear.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
@MaNaAk - thank you. I try to make time for myself. This weekend my partner and I are going to Bristol to see his family which will be good.
Podiatrist has not visited yet. £65 for private, I had no joy getting an NHS appointment.
The care agency workers were very taken by Hercule yesterday. She announced herself into a lull in the conversation and they were charmed.
Less charming is having "Pop Goes the Weasel" whistled at top volume all morning. Could be worse, at least she does not swear.
i will never take my podiatrist for granted on the nhs.

Helly19682

Feb 26, 2024
It shouldn't happen to a carer number 300 odd.....

Just to say, no animals or people were harmed by this update...

New representatives from the cover care agency came round yesterday to introduce themselves.
All was going well, Daddy making a huge effort, even Hercule the parrot introduced herself, much to everyone's delight.
We then do a quick tour of the house. All is well until we go into the box room, where the reptile cages are (my father has always kept exotics). I am doing my spiel about how they never come out of their cages when.........carers says what is that on the floor?

Readers, it was a python, out of the cage and wedged behind the radiator!

Trying to do my best "nothing to see here" act, we make our way downstairs and I suspect we go to the bottom of the list for people to supply cover carers too!
Later I managed to get the python back in the cage - they aren't aggressive, they just like small spaces and Daddy had forgotten to close the glass on the tank.

We all had a cup of tea, and Daddy pipes up with "He was probably hungry" (the snake that is). Not helpful.

I now add snake wrangling to my list of attributes. To be honest, I always used to help him with animal care, so they don't scare me, but it had been a while since I handled one.

Another day I am glad to see the back of. Funny, but sad as he was always so hot on keeping animals properly.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton

New representatives from the cover care agency came round yesterday to introduce themselves.
All was going well, Daddy making a huge effort, even Hercule the parrot introduced herself, much to everyone's delight.
We then do a quick tour of the house. All is well until we go into the box room, where the reptile cages are (my father has always kept exotics). I am doing my spiel about how they never come out of their cages when.........carers says what is that on the floor?

Trying to do my best "nothing to see here" act, we make our way downstairs and I suspect we go to the bottom of the list for people to supply cover carers too!
Later I managed to get the python back in the cage - they aren't aggressive, they just like small spaces and Daddy had forgotten to close the glass on the tank.

We all had a cup of tea, and Daddy pipes up with "He was probably hungry" (the snake that is). Not helpful.

I now add snake wrangling to my list of attributes. To be honest, I always used to help him with animal care, so they don't scare me, but it had been a while since I handled one.

Another day I am glad to see the back of. Funny, but sad as he was always so hot on keeping animals properly.
well done @Helly19682 whats a python between friends!!! it was contained not like one in eastleigh that slithered across a window of someone elses house. i would have thought it would be more interesting for the carers

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex

Dear @Helly19682,

I wouldn't have minded meeting your dad's python. What did the carer say?

MaNaAk

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey

Love this 🤣🤣 has made me smile! Dangerous animals on the risk assessment will now take on a whole new meaning!