FAQs

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I miss the unread threads as well. And mine stay blue, sometimes they go grey so not very helpful.

Another thing I miss is the little arrow which used to show which threads I've replied to.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
It's just a different way of working.

If you have a particular interest in any thread or topic you can use watch thread or watch forum to cause flag alerts.

There is also the facility to bookmark threads that you think you may need to revisit.

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
Different yes but for me not better.

Is there a reason behind having all the threads, read or unread, displayed? Is it a software issue or a deliberate choice?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Is there a reason behind having all the threads, read or unread, displayed? Is it a software issue or a deliberate choice?

Both, it was considered to be the nearest option to the old system.

Watching threads may help you.
If you go to 'watched threads' in 'forums' you will get

This is a list of the 20 most recently updated threads with unread replies that you are watching. There may be more to view.

You can watch/unwatch threads at the top of the thread or in 'more options' when composing a reply.

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
I appreciate the watched thread action but that assumes you have had time to read them and action it in the first place.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I appreciate the watched thread action but that assumes you have had time to read them and action it in the first place.

You don't have to read any posts, just click on thread title and then on ''watch thread'.

Having selected interesting threads you can then get a list of them in 'watched threads', they will all have unread replies.

Everybody has to discover the way of working which best suits them.

Have you found any improvements elsewhere on the new site?

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
I miss the unread threads as well. And mine stay blue, sometimes they go grey so not very helpful.

Another thing I miss is the little arrow which used to show which threads I've replied to.
Glad I am not the only one.:)

If you have replied to a thread a small version of your avatar appears on the avatar of the person that started the thread next to the title.

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
You don't have to read any posts, just click on thread title and then on ''watch thread'.
o_OI do not see why I would want to watch a thread I haven't read yet.:confused:

Have you found any improvements elsewhere on the new site?
I like the new smilies.:D

I prefer the tablet version to the laptop/desktop version as it is less cluttered without the "chat" at the bottom and the fairly unneeded and pointless stats on the right.

Is there a way of switching to the mobile version?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury

The software automatically detects your system, if you are desperate and using Windows you could edit the user agent string in the registry to fool the system. Not for the faint hearted !

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I like the new smilies.:D

I prefer the tablet version to the laptop/desktop version as it is less cluttered without the "chat" at the bottom and the fairly unneeded and pointless stats on the right.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
@Pete R
I preferred the old smilies!
I am using a tablet - well an iPad -and the latest Chat comment is displayed at the bottom of my screen
I like it as it gives an indication they there has been a new comment made,
It is also a way of entering the Chat room.

Last edited:

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
Unfortunately another gripe.

Was in the process of replying to a post but decided I needed to check my facts first before posting.

There is no cancel button so just went back a page.

I then made another reply but as the draft reply had already been saved that too was added.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::(

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
Where you in preview?
If all else fails submit the post, click edit and retype.
No not in preview.

I start typing a reply. I leave the page for whatever reason. I come back to that thread either on the same device, or my tablet, and that part reply is automatically there.

It used to be that although there was auto save you had to click on restore for it to be there. That option is now not available.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
The
No not in preview.

I start typing a reply. I leave the page for whatever reason. I come back to that thread either on the same device, or my tablet, and that part reply is automatically there.

It used to be that although there was auto save you had to click on restore for it to be there. That option is now not available.
Just highlight it and delete it if you’ve changed your mind about replying but I think the post being automatically saved is a plus. We didn’t have the option to restore until a couple of years ago and it was so annoying when a post was lost so autosave was a boon but it only saved at certain points. This is better for me.

Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
Yorkshire
Unfortunately another gripe.

Was in the process of replying to a post but decided I needed to check my facts first before posting.

There is no cancel button so just went back a page.

I then made another reply but as the draft reply had already been saved that too was added.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::(

I've noticed that too and wondered what was going on. I think if the text is grayed out, that is the saved draft, and there's a draft icon above with the option to Delete draft. It must be an auto restore draft function as I can't see any way of manually restoring the draft atm.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I've noticed that too and wondered what was going on. I think if the text is grayed out, that is the saved draft, and there's a draft icon above with the option to Delete draft. It must be an auto restore draft function as I can't see any way on manually restoring the draft atm.

Where is the Delete icon Chemmy?
I have to say that the Draft saved marker is a bit of a nuisance as it covers the text at the end of the line.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
@Chemmy

Ah yes, thanks. Chemmy.
I never noticed that in all the weeks of testing!:oops:
No idea what most of these emojis mean but am just hoping they are vaguely relevant!