FAQs

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I wasn't aware of the dot, but that only appears on the recent thread menu from the drop down on forums on my first screen shot. On my second screen shot with the recent threads at the side, I had noticed the delay in updates but this wasn't what I was referring to, I want to be able to click on something to go to the last post, ( eg as on the first screen shot you can click either on the blue dot or the time since the post was made) if I click on the thread name it takes me to what it thinks is the first unread post, but this doesn't seem to synch between my PC, phone and work PC - so I am reading posts twice, and giving up. So I keep going to the "2 minutes since posted" on the right hand toolbar, but it doesn't work this way and I end up clicking on the name and bringing up the profile.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I wasn't aware of the dot, but that only appears on the recent thread menu from the drop down on forums on my first screen shot. On my second screen shot with the recent threads at the side, I had noticed the delay in updates but this wasn't what I was referring to, I want to be able to click on something to go to the last post, ( eg as on the first screen shot you can click either on the blue dot or the time since the post was made) if I click on the thread name it takes me to what it thinks is the first unread post, but this doesn't seem to synch between my PC, phone and work PC - so I am reading posts twice, and giving up. So I keep going to the "2 minutes since posted" on the right hand toolbar, but it doesn't work this way and I end up clicking on the name and bringing up the profile.
On the right in Recent Posts you have to click/tap the time rather than the person which I agree does look bolder.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
In the screen print below with the recent posts on the right, I can't click on the time - I have tried and it doesn't work as a link so the only option is to go to the thread title, which when I have tried it this minute is taking me to first unread post - but before it wasn't. However if it is a long thread I don't want to go to first unread post I want to go to last post (not the funeral one:confused:) and the only to do this seems to be to scroll through

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-2_21-4-41.png
    upload_2017-10-2_21-4-41.png
    292.7 KB · Views: 581

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I want to go to last post (not the funeral one) and the only to do this seems to be to scroll through

The white down arrow in the blue rectangle will take you to the bottom of the displayed page.
The rectangle appears for a few seconds on bottom left when you start scrolling.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I just go directly to the last post of a thread from Recent Posts which is my means of entry to the site.
It lists the last posts on each thread on the right and you just click on the time.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Yes but not much help if I am 4 pages back from where I want to be

Edited to add: and now alerts don't seem to be working fully as I didn't get an alert for Beate's post in her thread (although I never seemed to find any alerts in the old system)

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Sorry, I don’t understand,
Why would you be 4 pages back when you have gone to the last post in a thread?
View media item 54855
Yes - Saffie the screen you posted takes me to the last post, but not when you are in a thread, and the recent threads bit on the right as shown on the screen grab below, when you click on the thread name, it takes you to what it thinks is the last unread thread, which if I've read it on my phone doesn't recognise on my PC, so I can end up several pages back

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
now alerts don't seem to be working fully as I didn't get an alert for Beate's post in her thread

I've spent some time recently trying to understand alerts.
I'm coming to the conclusion that the system used on other forums where,if you don't respond (on alert or going to post?), t's assumed you have no further interest in the thread and alerts are stopped is being poorly implemented. Not sure if the small blue 'recent alert asterisk' has any effect.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton

Ah, well you see I don’t get the Recent threads down the right side when I am in a thread as on the iPad they are on the left hand side at the bottom, below the posts so I don’t notice them and just use the page I posted i.e. Recent Posts from the drop down lost below Forum. That is my main home site just like Todays Posts used to be on the old site.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I'm coming to the conclusion that the system used on other forums where,if you don't respond (on alert or going to post?), t's assumed you have no further interest in the thread and alerts are stopped is being poorly implemented. Not sure if the small blue 'recent alert asterisk' has any effect.
Yes but not much help if I am 4 pages back from where I want to be

Edited to add: and now alerts don't seem to be working fully as I didn't get an alert for Beate's post in her thread (although I never seemed to find any alerts in the old system)

There were no alerts in the old system.
Did Beate tag you in her post or quote your post within it?
If not there will be no alert raised.

Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
Yorkshire
Ah, well you see I don’t get the Recent threads down the right side when I am in a thread as on the iPad they are on the left hand side at the bottom, below the posts so I don’t notice them and just use the page I posted i.e. Recent Posts from the drop down lost below Forum. That is my main home site just like Todays Posts used to be on the old site.

I don't use the RH or bottom panel at all for accessing posts.

In fact the only bit of info I look at is who is on line on occasion (and I agree with those who would like that list ordered alphabetically)

And I didn't realise the blue dot option was there either...it's a very small icon for older eyes and fingertips on a touch screen, even my laptop one which is bigger than the iPad.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Small blue ‘Recent alert *’ is new to me! You haven’t mentioned it before. It’s not a mini blue bell is it?!

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
It is a very small dot, I just thought it was to highlight the thread title! Silly me. Since the new layout appeared I know that some people have posted photos, but they do not appear on my screen. Is there something I have to do to see these. Not that I am planning to post photos.

I know I am lazy, but find it is a lot easier to ask questions rather than search for the answers.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I have Beate's thread as a 'watched thread' - also so Bizarre - and have added a few more on this new system.

Every post on a watched thread I am getting an alert to say there has been a post, so I can go straight to that thread. I hadn't followed up Heike Chick's post on Beate's thread so maybe that was why I didn't get an alert? Although other watched threads where I haven't followed the alert, to read the post, I still am getting a subsequent alert of a second post eg on 'Can I ...Should I?'

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I have Beate's thread as a 'watched thread' - also so Bizarre - and have added a few more on this new system.'

I'm honoured! But isn't it annoying getting alerts all the time? All I usually do is refresh Recent Posts to see what I have missed. Then again, I practically live on this forum anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bcaputo5