Why I hate ‘The Long Goodbye’

WJG

Sep 13, 2020
I loathe the new commercial for the Society ‘The Long Goodbye’. I think that it reinforces every negative stereotype about dementia, and does nothing whatsoever to help people such as myself living with brain disease. It dismays me that the Society has given it its backing.

Bruce Willis of ’Die Hard’ fame shares with me a diagnosis of degenerative brain disease. This commercial is all about telling people that those of us with such conditions not only die hard, but we die many times in advance of our own actual deaths. I prefer to ‘live well’, or as well as I can do. For this, I need help - and I need a change in attitude from the wider community. But this advertisement will only increase stigma, not lessen it.

The new drugs on the horizon will only work for people in the early stages of disease, so we need to convince people that there is value in seeking early diagnosis. No one watching this ad would want to do that.

I call on the Society to recognise that ’The Long Goodbye’ is a mistake, and to withdraw it.

Dunroamin

May 5, 2019
UK
Me too. But then again, how can well people hope to understand us and the effect on our daily lives?

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
I’m so glad those of you with dementia post here - I have found it really insightful. If you tell us how it is at least we as carers can understand our cared for a little better, and know from your perspective how it is.

WJG

Sep 13, 2020
I used to be a journalist, and found myself wondering if there had ever been any guidelines for the media published concerning dementia.

It turns out that there is a really excellent guide. Amongst other things it urges the media not to dwell on negative stereotyping.

I suggest that The Long Goodbye breaks these guidelines rather comprehensively. Which is a trifle embarrassing for the organisation that wrote them:

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I used to be a journalist, and found myself wondering if there had ever been any guidelines for the media published concerning dementia.

It turns out that there is a really excellent guide. Amongst other things it urges the media not to dwell on negative stereotyping.

I suggest that The Long Goodbye breaks these guidelines rather comprehensively. Which is a trifle embarrassing for the organisation that wrote them:

Thank you for that post. It was thoughtful and considered and an excellent read.
🙌🏻🙌🏻🙌🏻🙌🏻

Dunroamin

May 5, 2019
UK

Hear hear

SusanK

Mar 15, 2022
I loathe the new commercial for the Society ‘The Long Goodbye’. I think that it reinforces every negative stereotype about dementia, and does nothing whatsoever to help people such as myself living with brain disease. It dismays me that the Society has given it its backing.

Bruce Willis of ’Die Hard’ fame shares with me a diagnosis of degenerative brain disease. This commercial is all about telling people that those of us with such conditions not only die hard, but we die many times in advance of our own actual deaths. I prefer to ‘live well’, or as well as I can do. For this, I need help - and I need a change in attitude from the wider community. But this advertisement will only increase stigma, not lessen it.

The new drugs on the horizon will only work for people in the early stages of disease, so we need to convince people that there is value in seeking early diagnosis. No one watching this ad would want to do that.

I call on the Society to recognise that ’The Long Goodbye’ is a mistake, and to withdraw it.

SusanK

Mar 15, 2022
I absolutely agree. I care for my husband who has early onset Alzheimers and we try to live each day as positively as possible. It was a real shock to have this on our screen just as we were relaxing in the evening after a great day in the garden together. I understand why they are doing it, but at the very least it should be balanced with more positive information about how to live a good life with the disease. It will also be distressing for my children to see it. Hope it gets pulled, or at least perhaps the A Society could post the schedule so we know when to avoid. I understand that it is running until at least 6/5.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
It will also be distressing for my children to see it.
I imagine your children are also distressed by the footage of animals being beaten or children in war zones or starving in the third world, with cleft palates, no water, etc.

Should we not tell children that people die of cancer, MND and so many other awful diseases? Should we not have those adverts on TV because they might upset people who are recently diagnosed?

I don't have answers to these questions and I could probably argue the case both ways. It's very complicated and everyone has good reasons for their opinions.

The fact remains that if you don't draw people's attention to problems or if they simply don't know about them, nothing will change and no money will be raised.

I don't like the advert either, though for completely different reasons.

Ssteph

Aug 31, 2023

Hello there,

I tend to agree with you however it is never going to be easy to raise awareness of the condition to the general population. In my case, my husband has some frontal damage caused by his disease, which means he is not aware of his problems or the impact- it looks and feels like he is in complete denial- with little or no empathy. He has not seen this new advert yet but I would not want him worried or worse scared about his future.

MargoW

Oct 25, 2023
Walsall, UK

I agree totally. It upsets me to hear the same advert on the radio. I think , people who have been diagnosed with Alzheimers should have a say in way awareness is promoted.

scotlass

Jul 9, 2023
I don't like this advert either, what does it say to people who are watching who have alzheimers, my husband is one of them, saying they will die again and again. people who are caring for someone with alzheimers try to help them to live their life the best they can. when they made this advert they didn't think about alzheimers sufferers watching it ,

Phil Humpage

Apr 15, 2024
New too. K
The advert causes me and others distress. The advert is distressing the very people they are supposed to be helping. I have complained to the ASA. Alzheimers.org knew the ad would distress people but went ahead anyway in my opinion because they believe the ends justify the means. I strongly disagree. Please refer your complaint to the Advertising Standards Authority. The more complaints the better the chance of getting this awful advert stopped

LadyLouise

Jul 14, 2022
The advert causes me and others distress. The advert is distressing the very people they are supposed to be helping. I have complained to the ASA. Alzheimers.org knew the ad would distress people but went ahead anyway in my opinion because they believe the ends justify the means. I strongly disagree. Please refer your complaint to the Advertising Standards Authority. The more complaints the better the chance of getting this awful advert stopped
Hi Phil, I have complained to the ASA and also to Alzheimer’s Society exec committee. I believe a case could be made that it breaches the Equality Act, since it harms the dignity of people with this disability, which is a protected characteristic. Following her first diagnosis of dementia, My mom had 10 years of travel, was a leader in her local community and clocked up thousands of miles of cycling, on trips with my dad in which they camped and carried all of their own gear! She needs more help at the stage she’s in now, but I guarantee she is very much alive and kicking. And, for those who care enough to see it, she is still very much herself.

GlennBurch

Apr 10, 2024
It seems to me that you are right. Advertising that reinforces negative stereotypes about dementia can only increase stigma in society. Instead, we need to focus on how to help people facing these problems and change society's attitudes.

rebeccaperth

Apr 28, 2024
There is nooooo way I could watch that at the moment. My mumma has Alzheimer’s and I can only take so much grief. Besides, is it even an accurate portrayal? What are your thoughts?

rebeccaperth

Apr 28, 2024
It seems to me that you are right. Advertising that reinforces negative stereotypes about dementia can only increase stigma in society. Instead, we need to focus on how to help people facing these problems and change society's attitudes.
You're right. Same thing with schizophrenia. So misunderstood and stigmatised