Update on my Dad

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Sue - you and your family are very much at the forefront of my mind today. I'm so glad to hear he has rallied a little.

P.S. Maybe you could sneak him in a G & T :)

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Thanks again for your words of support. One sister has gone home for a much needed sleep so just 2 of us here tonight. Last night's staff nurse bit surprised to see my Dad still here, but hid it well. He, and all the staff have been lovely.

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Good to hear that your dad is showing signs of improvement. It's yet another part of the roller coaster ride, but all we can do is offer love and support while so much is out of our hands.

Keeping you all in my thoughts.

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Dear Sue, thinking of you and your family today and hoping the news is bearable and that your dad is comfortable. Love Deborah x

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Another quick update. Bad night last night, dad very distressed but more peaceful this morning. Now it's light we can see one of his hands (one with canula) is swollen and looks infected.

Will see what doctors say today.

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Another quick update. Bad night last night, dad very distressed but more peaceful this morning. Now it's light we can see one of his hands (one with canula) is swollen and looks infected.

Will see what doctors say today.

I hope they came to a swift and effective conclusion about treatment, Sue and started something helpful for him. Thinking of you and your dad. x

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Saturday night Sunday morning

On Saturday morning whilst one sister had gone to pick up the other I left the room to let the nurses wash my dad. When I re-entered my dad was grey, and as I leant over him I realised he had stopped breathing. I called the nurses but as I spoke to him he started to breathe again. They came and propped him up, tested his Sats which showed his oxygen level was dangerously low. My sisters arrived to find me in a bit of a state.

He continued to deteriorate throughout the day and at 8 pm we were told the end was near. My sisters, my mum and I sat holding his hands listening to his shallow breathing and expecting every to be his last.

By 2 am we realised that the end was not quite as imminent as we had thought and I ran my mum home. My eldest sister left at 6 to get some sleep. She came back at 1 this afternoon and my other sister and I went back to mine to get some sleep. Having been up for over 50 hours I was exhausted. We got about 5 hours sleep and came back to the hospital to do the night shift.

His breathing can be erratic (especially if he gets agitated) but he has been given an injection of midazopan to keep him calm. We have made it clear that we don't want anything invasive, but just keep him comfortable.

And the wait goes on. ..

Bookworm

Jan 30, 2009
Co. Derry
I'm glad I came back to read your sad post Sue, thinking of you. You must be utterly exhausted. I'm glad your Dad is comfortable, & I hope you find a little comfort in that knowledge xx

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Sue, my thoughts with you all .. 'the wait' - God knows, the highs and lows of wanting it to be over and peaceful - and wishing it was all just a bad dream - and occassional hope they might rally ....

Sorry if I have spoken out of turn ... it brings back the torment and equally that precious, precious time ....

No point saying try to get some rest - you don't. Just try to stay as strong and loving as you have always been,

Kaz, x

guess who

Apr 26, 2010
I'm new to this site but feel so much for you,having been with my 102 year old mother when she died in my arms before Christmas. You will be held in my heart today - and I hope you manage to find some sleep before too long

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Thank you for the update Sue, I hope today is peaceful for you all. I'll be thinking of you. Love Deborah

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Sue

Please feel the strength of TP by your side. We are all with you and hoping for peace for you all.
LOve xx