Hello

februaryfreckles

Apr 7, 2024
Hello everyone
My 85 year old Dad has Alzheimers. He was diagnosed in 2014 and was doing well until a year ago when he became violent in his sleep at home. My Mum and I called the society who advised us to call the police. Dad was sectioned under the mental health act. My heart broke that day.
He spent 10 months in a secure hospital unit in Tolworth, Kingston upon Thames. He now resides in a nursing home an hour away.
He doesn't recognise me anymore and I am his only child. He only recognises Mum. Every time I see him now, my heart breaks further. I see him every fortnight. He looks through me. I was the apple of his eye. I miss him so much. He looks like my Dad and he sounds like my Dad (he's physiy fit and well) but he's not my Dad. I know this is a selfish post but is anyone going through the same thing? I'm so broken. tia x

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
More than welcome, we all started on here somewhere, mum then wife for me, now I just help where I (think or hope) I can help. K

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @februaryfreckles and welcome to the Forum. Not being recognised by the person with dementia is very common, which does not make it any easier to deal with. I am not sure if my wife knows who I am but she still seems comfortable in my presence and I can occasionally get her to engage with me through touch or my tuneless singing. Dementia robs the person of so much but also robs family members. There is not much one can do other than to look for small glimpses of the real person trapped inside.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
There's always someone here and offer advice if we can, we aren't all perfect just trying to help each other out where we can. K