Update on my Dad

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Dear Sue,

Although not unexpected, I am very, very sorry to read your sad news.

Like others have said, your willingness to share your family's story with us has made your father feel like another member of our extended TP family, so we will also mourn his loss.

The one thing that really came through about your dad was his sense of humour, which luckily he seemed able to retain throughout his illness.

I was looking through your past posts this morning and this example really made me smile:

My Dad made me laugh when we came out of the clinic by saying to my Mum 'Now, can you remember where you parked the car?' mimicking the way the Consultant had asked him 'Now can you remember what year we are in?' etc.. Then he laughed and said 'IT'S OVER THERE' pointing to the car.

Take care,

Vonny

Feb 3, 2009
Telford
Dear Sue, the end of a very long road and your dad is at peace. It is you and your mum and sisters who are left with the pain.

Wishing you all strength in these dark days xxx

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Dear Sue,

Just caught up with your sad, although not unexpected news.

My love, thoughts, and prayers stay with you at this sad time.

Please accept my sincere condolences.

Winnie Kjaer

Account Closed
Aug 14, 2009
Devon
Dear Sue
Please accept my sincere condolences.

I am so sorry for your loss but understand your father died peacefully and that you all now know he is at peace.

My thoughts are with you during this difficult time.

God bless

julieann15

Jun 13, 2008
Leicestershire
Dear Sue
Just wanted to say how sad I was to hear of your loss. This "bloody awful disease" messes with so many lives?
Hoping you can find the strength to get through the future without him.

Love Julie xx

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Thank you all for your kind words and thoughts.

The funeral will take place on Tuesday afternoon and we have the arrangements in place. Fortunately the undertaker was a close friend of my dad's and we know him well. It has made things a lot less traumatic for my mum.

It has hit my mum much harder than she (or we for that matter) expected. My eldest sister and I have gone back to work today, but my other sister who lives in Athens has had a day of being 'organised' by my mum. I don't think it will be too long before she is back on form.

I am going to try and do the eulogy at the funeral. My sisters may or may not do it with me. My niece is to read a poem and we are to have one of my dad's favourite pieces of music (Intermezzo from Cavalleria Rusticana) both as we leave the church and at the crematorium.

We are to have the funeral tea at the same hotel where my mum and dad had their golden wedding 4 years ago, and again it will be a free bar. All welcome!:)

We were looking through photographs as we wanted a picture of my dad on the Order of Service (or programme as the Rector referred to it :confused:) and so we have spent a few hours going through bags and bags of photos. It has helped to bring the good memories back. :) We are going to try and scan as many of them as we can so we can show them on a digital photo frame at the funeral tea.

Scottie45

Jan 25, 2009
CoAntrim
Dear Sue

Just catching up with your thread,so sorry to hear about your dad,s passing but at least he will be at peace now.Your arrangements for his funeral sound lovely.Hope your mum and your sisters and you are well,will be thinking of you all on Tuesday,take care Marian xx

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Thanks for the update Sue. Have been wondering how you all were but didn’t want to ‘intrude’. Arrangements sound lovely (not that I would have expected anything else).

I will be thinking of you all Tuesday afternoon…

Love, Karen, x

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello Sue:

You make it all sound so easy but I guess you and your family are in agony really.

The arrangements sound wonderful, and I love the Intermezzo too -
I think along with others here I could love your Dad - he sounded so great (are you a chip off the ......)?

I love the security of our lovely daughters around me at sad times - I picture you providing that same strength for your Mum. (Yes I bet she is strong, so am I, but we need the love and security to maintain that strength). Hope that makes sense!!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I like the 'free bar' - hopefully all of TP will NOT turn up.

Love

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Sue, it sounds like a lovely service. It's wonderful how the old photos brought back all the good memories for you.

Bit dangerous announcing an open bar on TP, don't you think?:)

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Hello Sue,

The service sounds very uplifting..and what a good idea about the digital photo frame afterwards :) I'm sure there'll be a lot of avid discussion at the funeral tea..and a lot of happy memories.

Bit dangerous announcing an open bar on TP, don't you think?
:D Joanne :D

I'll have a rummage in our drinks cupboard on Tuesday afternoon...and will raise a G&T to your dad, Sue !

Love xx

Bookworm

Jan 30, 2009
Co. Derry
Sue - again want to echo what others have said - you have really lovely arrangements. I don't know this for sure - someone else can check - but under you tube of the music - it says that the film is taken from where the composer lived - there is a terrazza in the town in Tuscany there named after him & that features as the topic for the film - ending in a lovely view of the sea and then the sky.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDVFaheqQAg

Don't feel you have to listen Sue - but others might like to, Sue, xx

donkey

Aug 16, 2009
sutton coldfield
sue ive been thinking of you and your arrangements sound lovely i especially like the idea of the photos in a digital photo frame.take care love lyn xx