Our magic bitter sweet moments 🥰🥰🥰

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Thanks Edd. It’s tough but otherwise the care is very good so I’m fortunate. If she wasn’t kept clean and treated with respect and dignity I would be a mess! I think the issue is the lack of GP knowledge and management trying to calm the waters but making it worse! I’m thankful that the nurses on the floor are now clinically intrigued so much more curious and ‘on it’. I think I shall have to wait And see what happens with this current drop of steroids - if the same happens I will be reminding the GP of his oath to ‘do no harm’ 😱😱

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Anyway despite all the above I’ve made the most of the sunshine 🌞 Mum was well and hyper on high steroid yesterday so we enjoyed the garden and did some re-potting and tidying in her little patio area. In all the yuckiness of late stage dementia just having her up and out for a few hours was priceless 🥰🥰
Today I managed a 9K hike so am now a little tired - but lovely to be in the countryside….
And as for mum in her world travels - we’ve been reading her diary of driving through Afghanistan!!! i am sowing seeds of wanting to revisit some of her journey but don’t think Kabul will be on offer - what an amazing traveller she was!

And not forgetting the babies …our new resident handed me the little one yesterday wiht some makeshift clothing…

Attachments

• 4CDAC0FD-8112-47EF-921A-31CBA358913D.jpeg
    4CDAC0FD-8112-47EF-921A-31CBA358913D.jpeg
    129.7 KB · Views: 39
  • CEE772EC-03C6-4E5D-AAA8-4B3B5335EE8E.jpeg
    CEE772EC-03C6-4E5D-AAA8-4B3B5335EE8E.jpeg
    238.3 KB · Views: 40

Knitandpurl

Aug 9, 2021
Lincolnshire
Anyway despite all the above I’ve made the most of the sunshine 🌞 Mum was well and hyper on high steroid yesterday so we enjoyed the garden and did some re-potting and tidying in her little patio area. In all the yuckiness of late stage dementia just having her up and out for a few hours was priceless 🥰🥰
Today I managed a 9K hike so am now a little tired - but lovely to be in the countryside….
And as for mum in her world travels - we’ve been reading her diary of driving through Afghanistan!!! i am sowing seeds of wanting to revisit some of her journey but don’t think Kabul will be on offer - what an amazing traveller she was!

And not forgetting the babies …our new resident handed me the little one yesterday wiht some makeshift clothing…
Visit to Afghanistan sounds wonderful, and not something possible now. Glad at least one of the ‘babies’ has acquired some sort of clothing.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Well it’s a bank holiday weekend for everyone who isn’t a carer!

We’ve had a settled few days thankfully. Both managers on annual leave so it was so nice just to be able to get on with my work without unnecessary interference 🤣🤣 quite enjoyed driving round the countryside visiting my clients.

Have been doing some reading around mum’s condition which may explain her shaking. It’s a fascinating condition but not good that its so rare the docs don’t get it 🙈

I’ve been determined to try and invest in myself when we have settled days so I did try to book in a friend only for them to go down unwell….BUT was super spontaneous and called on another and got a walk in so v pleased that worked! Family are more around over the weekend but sadly the dreary weather has put pay to trips deep into the countryside.

As I write the sundowning is kicking off here. There’s been a birthday and extra visitors which I think has unsettled the delicate balance. Two of the ladies are literally screaming to go home, the shouting man is shouting, the new old man with the braces is looking for his carer and the new resident who thinks they’re boss is pacing the corridor with intent 🙈🙈. the poor carers are frazzled. As my sister is here I paced a bit with ‘the boss’ - I always ‘check in on duty’ when I arrive and now we’re best buddies 🥰🥰🥰

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Pouring pouring pouring all day here 😱😱😱
Not to be defeated - especially as my brother is coming down so more time to me.

The plan for the day is to make some marmalade (my dad’s legacy) and enjoy the bluebell woods as no one else will be there 🤣🤣 and no doubt get wet several times over…

But as I have learned……days often don’t go the way you plan so who knows 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

Fugs

Feb 16, 2023
I don't know where you live, but the Bluebells in my garden are coming to an end. The Wisteria is just starting to bloom instead.

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
Pouring pouring pouring all day here 😱😱😱
Not to be defeated - especially as my brother is coming down so more time to me.

The plan for the day is to make some marmalade (my dad’s legacy) and enjoy the bluebell woods as no one else will be there 🤣🤣 and no doubt get wet several times over…

But as I have learned……days often don’t go the way you plan so who knows 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️
Time for a breather then @sdmhred :) Keep an eye out for cottages dressed in candy and gingerbread, you never know... ;)

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
As predicted yesterday didn’t turn out as planned 🤣🤣 I thought the rain might mean I did some work on the pile of mum’s stuff in my flat….in the end my brother’s wife and my little niece also came down so I stayed longer at the home to see them too.

I did get my walk in to the bluebells….@Fugs was right they were not in their full glory but still giving off that lovely blue / purple haze and even better, I had them to myself and the sun even made an appearance!

No marmalade - but can’t wait too long as I am out!

Today’s job was finally the wheelchair assessment. Mum’s face lit up when she landed in it as did the OT so now on order (£1.5-2K 😬😬). I was a tad annoyed it was sunny and otherwise I would have been on a long hike…so made myself get up early and walk in one of our more local places. I couldn’t believe I hadn’t been for months and had missed the daffodils and even the lambs were now born…..I am doing my daily walking but often chuntering away at the current stressors rather than being mindful about the beautiful nature around me!

Attachments

• BFA1DFCD-1322-49D5-88CA-50BF481051BF.jpeg
    BFA1DFCD-1322-49D5-88CA-50BF481051BF.jpeg
    566.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 0284F055-DF5A-4DE0-87C0-B39247351B6A.jpeg
    0284F055-DF5A-4DE0-87C0-B39247351B6A.jpeg
    175.1 KB · Views: 27

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Glorious today….I did my bit and attended to the office to ensure I was interacting with my colleagues as instructed…..as the management weren’t in tho we took our interaction to the gardens of a coffee shop nearby 🙈🙈

But this afternoon mum paid me back ….she enjoyed pimms and lemonade on the care home terrace 🥂🍹🍷whilst I was stuck on the computer doing annual information governance training 😫😫

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Glorious today….I did my bit and attended to the office to ensure I was interacting with my colleagues as instructed…..as the management weren’t in tho we took our interaction to the gardens of a coffee shop nearby 🙈🙈

But this afternoon mum paid me back ….she enjoyed pimms and lemonade on the care home terrace 🥂🍹🍷whilst I was stuck on the computer doing annual information governance training 😫😫
i think that is karma for going out for coffee!!!!!:):):)😂😂😂

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
I think you’re right Jennifer! To rub it in the home posted pics of them all on FB! It’s worked from their end tho the sundown pacers are NOT pacing tonight 🤣🤣 one is sat snoozing in an arm chair, another in someone else’s bed and the other two no-where to be seen 🤣🤣

Rachael03

Apr 17, 2023
I think you’re right Jennifer! To rub it in the home posted pics of them all on FB! It’s worked from their end tho the sundown pacers are NOT pacing tonight 🤣🤣 one is sat snoozing in an arm chair, another in someone else’s bed and the other two no-where to be seen 🤣🤣
who knew the answer the answer to challenging dementia behaviour lay in a glass of pimms!

Delighted to hear you and your mum both got a bit of a beverage with side of vitamin D. I think Id take the coffee though...never did understand the fascination with pimms! Its not really a thing in Ireland...I associate it with wimbledon (which I also dont like, although think I just have an aversion to all sport to be honest 🤣)

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
My OH closed her eyes. So I lent down and kissed my OH's cheek and said good night, sleep well. She put up her left arm to hold the back of my head and gave me a long snog! Then, still with her eyes closed said "Don't tell you wife!"

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
I’m quite enjoying the power of the mind to adapt to circumstances and keep my sanity…

So mum was meant to be up yesterday but staff shortage prevented it 😬😬 So 🤞🤞she will be today…so considering the warm weather I plan a HOLIDAY DAY 🤣🤣 in the care home 🤣🤣 let’s see what we can muster up…..for me as well as her 🤣🤣🍹🏖
I think I am going slightly loopy but at least the thought is giving me some get up and go!