Hello 👋 Advice needed.

wjcn64

May 3, 2024
Good morning everyone, my name is Will, I need some advice, I'm the sole carer for my aging father (age 70) who's loosing capacity, the power of attorney has allready been sorted (health care and financial) but my father is not diagnosed with dementia yet, but loosing his memory/taking too much insulin (type 1) as he forgets how much he's taken so now he has district nurses administer it, plus he is spending about £30-£50 a day on deliveroo and just eat grocerys and alcohol and don't get me started on his amazon purchases...😅 my question is how do I stop the over spending? as he's been over his £1000 overdraft at times. Can I tell the bank to not let amazon and food payments through? do I have to remove his access to his bank somehow? And give him an allowance?
It's gotten so bad I'm looking at renting a property for him, myself and my daughter who's 11.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Will.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Good morning everyone, my name is Will, I need some advice, I'm the sole carer for my aging father (age 70) who's loosing capacity, the power of attorney has allready been sorted (health care and financial) but my father is not diagnosed with dementia yet, but loosing his memory/taking too much insulin (type 1) as he forgets how much he's taken so now he has district nurses administer it, plus he is spending about £30-£50 a day on deliveroo and just eat grocerys and alcohol and don't get me started on his amazon purchases...😅 my question is how do I stop the over spending? as he's been over his £1000 overdraft at times. Can I tell the bank to not let amazon and food payments through? do I have to remove his access to his bank somehow? And give him an allowance?
It's gotten so bad I'm looking at renting a property for him, myself and my daughter who's 11.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Will.
could you set up a separate account for him to have an allowance? could talk to the bank with your poa and set a limit to how much he has excess to. might be worth looking at the overdraft and lowering it if at all. could scratch off the security numbers on the back so he cant order online but can still use it in a shop.

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
I would look at setting up a spending account for him and then keep his other funds for bills etc like @jennifer1967 has suggested. This will give him some autonomy but not make him bankrupt .
Not sure how renting a property will help other than giving you a lot of extra work and upheaval for your daughter so please do think about this very very carefully.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @wjcn64 and welcome to the Forum. This is a friendly and helpful community. I don't have anything to add to what has been said already but others may have. Do keep reading and posting as you will find a lot of support here.

Natalie J

Apr 15, 2024
Hi @wjcn64 . There are several online banks, e.g. Wise and Tesco, that provide an online account (very easy to set up) with a debit card that can be used for online purchases, cash withdrawals from ATMs and anything else you would normally use a debit card for, but no overdraft facility and you have to put money in the account before you can spend it. I've set a couple of these accounts up for my great aunt. She has the opposite problem where she believes everyone is trying to scam her and is frightened of her account being hacked. I set these up so that I could transfer money (no more than a few hundred quid at a time) into the online account for her and she can then use the Wise / Tesco debit card and the worst that can happen is she looses a few hundred pounds. I also set one up exclusively for her carers, so that they can use it to get groceries for her etc. The care company have strict rules that they will not use a client's debit card (even if the client is with them and asks them too) if it is linked to their current account, but they are happy to use these online bank accounts because the associated risks are so much lower given that they have to be manually topped up rather than anyone's pension or salary going in each month..

HLA

Aug 16, 2021
Hi Will
Welcome! It's not easy is it? Great that you have the LPAs sorted out.

There are various pots of advice with a google search. Personally what I would do is contact the banks, and get set up with your own logins to the bank so that you can have sight of it, and also have your own bank card. You can do this with the LPA. You can then amend the bank card limit to something manageable.

I'd also suggest contacting the delivery companies, and explaining the situation. But there may be nothing you can do immediately.

I found mum over bought loads of food and threw tons away (she thought it was not good) when she was living alone. As much as I was shocked, and saddened, it was also it was her right to do so, and as long as it wasn't dangerous... and she has a right to make bad decisions as do all of us : ) She also made a lot of bad QVC purchases...

With the big picture, I would push to get a diagnosis asap, which is sooo tricky, but you can talk to the GP privately (as you have LPAs), and raise your concerns. The GP should be able to invite your dad for 'standard testings' so that your father doesn't feel there is something wrong.

The sooner there is a good diagnosis, the sooner the right care treatment plans can be put in place.
Some medications can really help, and the earlier they can be used the better.

Equally other adaptations with an occupational therapist etc could be made to his home, so he can stay living independently as long as possible. And external care added in.

I can only speak from my experience - but diagnosis, practical and emotional help - for you and your dad - can never come too early.

Good luck,

xx

p.s. a move into a new space - I understand your thinking here - tho' I wouldn't personally advise this without having diagnosis and a plan. I found when mum moved house, the wheels fell off. I had to move her, unfortunately, but her being away from everything she knew was a disaster for her and she suffered a huge drop in cognition and well being. If you can, call the helpline and talk it through - they are brilliant.

AutumnRigby

Jun 10, 2023
Hi Will
I personally wouldn't advise a move in with you altogether. Sadly you father will only get worse and you will need your own space to escape.
I also feel that it may not be the best situation for your daughter to be in for what are some very important years for her in the near future.
I won't tell you my situation but if I could.turn back the clock although it seemed the right and best thing to do at the time moving my.mum in with us was not in anyone's best interests.
Take care

doingmybest1

Feb 28, 2017
Hi Will

It's time to understand what is there for your dad and hook into the services available to your Dad before you step in and change your life and that of your daughter.

As others have said, don't do this. We've been there, seen it, done it, some of from long distance away, and it's hard, confusing, mentally draining and even when we moved in with our parents to 24/7 care, whilst holding down a job, we were exhausted, confused, and left without support by support services beacuse their opinion was "you're taking care of him/her ... carry on doing it".

None of us find oursleves on this forum without having gone through extensive periods of questioning, and google searching and releasing something isn't up. And then, based on my experience of PWD for over 12 years, we then reach-out to this forum to ask "is this normal ... or is an early sign of dementia and what can I do?" and always the recommendation you're at that stage now where something isn't up so get a formal diagnosis as soon as you can.

And I'm going to reiterate what others have said to me on this forum over the last 12 years of working with Mum with early and now late stages of Dementia, don't guess about this, contact your GP, get a formal diagnosis as soon as possible, it may take 3-6 months to get an appointments with the memory clinic but don't make any changes to your and your daughter's life until you have a diagnosis.

And, go with your Dad to the memory clinic and the assessment. There is a standard test they do which presents your loved one with a clock and say "What time is this?". It's like the stuff we all did when we were young learning about how to tell the time.

And it was horrible when I learnt that my Mum could no longer tell the time. But that also gave us an indication her brain was fried.

Your Dad is showing symptoms, can't understand his insulin, etc, but you and nurses are compensating, and that will work for a while but until you get a formal test to diagnose him, you'll be forever guessing.

You must get a diagnosis because without that, you can't hook into all the other services (as scant as they are), to support you and your family.

If you can get daignosis, then, although your Dad may have money, you'll hook in with social services and they will at the very least provide you with a person who can help you understand that stage your Dad is at and also support you.

Your concern seems to be about the amount of money he's spending and that he's ordering stuff on Deliveroo for food etc or perhaps he's just enough internet aware to know he can order stuff and hit buttons to buy stuff when he doesn't know he's done it.

Your concern is that he's spending loads of money online inluding food, which he can't afford, doesn't need, so how do you stop this from happening?

In short, you are LPA, you just tell the banks to withdraw his card and delete it. If you as LPA have access to his account, you can stop his card and stop him from withdrawing any money on his own.

And if you know where his online accounts are, as LPA, you can transfer his acounts to your own details so that he cannot do anything without you being aware of what is happening.

BUT I would ask why, would you do this if your father is relying on online deliveroo for food? Your Dad is more clued in than many of us who deal with our parents ... so what do you have in place to compensate?

Your father needs to eat. I had to work with my brothers to sort out Mum's food and we worked with all the major food suppliers online, and drew up meal plans and were there personally to carry them out and yes, food went rotten such that we were throwing stuff away buf as knew what she was eating and we made sure she ate all the recommended 5 a day.

My Mum got diagnosed by the memory clinic as having early Dementia in 2014. I know she had signs of PWD before that in 2010. But she is still alive today.

Food was a huge issue middle Dementia stage - and stuff about money and is a huge red flag as Mum's old memories knew that money was important as she had raised 5 kids without much money ... and that early memory became important for her with dementia .. and she kept accusing us all of stealing her money etc. Ironically, she didn't know that one of her son's stole 100k of her money when he registered as her POA, and it took us a while to find that out.

It's just how it is.

But anyone in this sitution I say to you all, your loved ones never expected you to have do this all for them and spend months, hours and weeks of your life sorting stuff out for them.

If they knew what we have done for them, they would have been giving us big hugs and lots of love, and also in my case, given me 10 gold stars for what I have done for the last 12 years to support Mum.

My Mum doesn't know me anymore. I was always her daughter who did everything and anything with her. My brothers only engaged with her once married with children, and then when they continued to work, left her to babysit until they were in their teens whilst parents went to work.

None of Mum's 5 children other than me have anything to do with her. It's like they've just "ghosted her". They don't even send christmas or birthday cards.

That's how Dementia impacts on families. It's not just the finances it's the logistics and being there for the person and that is hard for those coping with their loved ones and this disease.

It's hard. But I would say to anyone out there, my Mum never wanted this for me, I do it because I love her, but she never wanted this disease to impact on my life and if she knew this was happening to me now, she would be angry and tell me, "get on with your life".

But what can we do?

We are in a rock and a hard place ... and we have to carry on no matter what without support from the government.

This forum is an amazing place because we can share what is happening to us all and our families and how hard it is to deal with this.

Boris tried to put stuff in place for us but it seems this government have just ignored this whole isssue with social care.

Will, you need to reach out now to whatever your can to support your Dad.

All the very best.

And also engage with your local social services, even before your GP has put your Dad forward for assessment. You can contact your local social services and get them to also assess you Dad based on what he can do and can't do now without support. If he then needs support, they will tell you!

But also, they will ask, and this will happen to you going forward so just accept it and particulary as you have POA in place, you'll have to provide evidence of finances etc to understand what your Dad is elegible for and what he is not eligible for but also what they can provide to your as support.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bronskibeat