Advice on Wandering

ACampbell

Apr 26, 2024
Hi everyone
Dad was diagnosed in January 2021 with EOA,
its been a struggle but we take it one day at time
This week dad wandered out of the flat twice on Sunday. this was the first time it has happen, mum had to drop what she was doing and follow him. She rang me as she didn't know what to do. I told her to call 999 and ask for the ambulance. they aid they could not help as was not a solid location
I called the police and they said its a medical issue. fortunately mum was able to convince him to turn around. But its what if she could.
He was also stepping in and out of the road.

i just want to know what others have done when they needed help

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @ACampbell and welcome to the forum.

Wandering can be a safeguarding issue so I wonder if you have contact with Social Services, who could do the needs assessments to which both the vulnerable adult and their carer are entitled.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @ACampbell.

I’m sorry to hear about your dad. I remember when my husband used to leave the house and it was very difficult to persuade him to come back. Sometimes I just followed him until he was ready to turn round. I know that’s not very helpful though! I agree with @karaokePete that you should contact Social Services and emphasise that your dad is very vulnerable, as is your mum in this situation.

I think it would be a good idea to fill out a Herbert Protocol for your dad. Each police area may have their own form so you could look online for yours. This would help speed things up if your dad does go missing -

You might also find it useful to talk with someone on the Admiral Nurses helpline -