Terrified Wife

Alisongs

May 17, 2024
East of England
My husband, 67,has Diabetes type 1, Parkinsons and dementia. Rapid decline in 5 years! He's been in hospital 5 weeks as no longer safe to leave him alone at home, safeguarding risk to both of us and our house. House and garage a mess as Lockdown stopped a refurb and he was not fit after that. Hoarded. everything even broken CDs. I was 65 last week, made redundant 18 months ago, couldn't work again as husband falling apart. Can't have him home again as he can't be left and he is now declared no medical capacity doesn't understand doing insulin jabs (55 years experience just gone!) So he needs a nursing home. No choice. Medical decision. Doesn't understand or want this. We got married 2 years ago to give me security in the face of his il health but he has since vehemently refused Powers of Attorney, a Will, even Attendance Allowance. We were going to downsize and go travelling. I am not State Pension age yet, just got first month's pension from job. I can't afford to refurb andkeep a 4 bed house on 13k a year, need his savings and State Pension. But I can't sell without Court Order now and Court of Protection guardianship. Both hugely expensive will take years. Husband has enough money to be self funding for a while. I have no idea what costs there will be and I certainly cannot subsidise any top up on 13k a year. I have no idea what's coming as hospital and social services haven't even found a willing nursing home yet. Neither of us has children or other family and our few friends that we have left don't want to know. If I kill myself then the authorities will surely handle his affairs and use my pension lump sum savings to extend care for about six months and then he will be to gaga to know or care what happens. I am terrified, lonely and suicidal, staring into an abyss. Jumping in is the only way to end the uncertainty.

BeeBeeDee

Apr 19, 2023
Oh my goodness I am so so sorry to read such an upsetting post. Please ring the Samaritans - they are there for you through thick and thin.

Liiz

Jan 8, 2023
I'm so sorry. You need help. Please call Samaritans, GP or even Citizen Advice. You need help, please don't face this alone. Sending love x

Alisongs

May 17, 2024
East of England
Oh my goodness I am so so sorry to read such an upsetting post. Please ring the Samaritans - they are there for you through thick and thin.
Tried them once. They listen. They don't judge. They don't offer solutions. I'm a bit calmer now but every weekend is like this. I can't sleep because of the Unknown Unknowns. I'm in limbo, purgatory, hell, call it what you will. No information I can work with.

Spottydog

Dec 8, 2023
As others say, stop, take a deep breath, and in the morning act on help from the suggestions. I promise you that there is light at the end of the tunnel ❤️

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Ok honey , right up front no messing about, if he went into care, is that what you want.
If you can't cope and there is no shame in that what are the options. K

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
would admiral nurses be a possibility? they are there for the carers and family of a person with dementia. they are very informative as to the details. just hold on.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello @Alisongs I am so sorry to read about what you are going through. I would suggest that you contact the Alzheimer's Society's helpline, they are open tomorrow from 10am to 4pm. They really are supportive and understanding. I have attached their details below.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Everyone is here to support you @Alisongs, they really care for you and how you are feeling. I have also attached a link to the Admiral Nurses as suggested by @jennifer1967 I have contacted them in the past and they were really helpful.

Alisongs

May 17, 2024
East of England
If he came home I'd have to be awake 247 365 dealing with his jabs, his tablets his meals, his tremors and dyskinesias, his high blood sugars, his lw blood sugars, his panics, his rages, his delusions, his hallucinations. Tried for 18 months since redundancy. Got so tired I was making mistakes with his insulin. 111 and 999 don't see chronic conditions as urgent so can take 4 days..... Carers and district nurse cannot guarantee arriving promptly for strictly time jabs and meds.... No overnight help and probably not weekends or bank holidays. Ben there done that was hysterical with no sleep.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Stay safe, please promise me you'll do that, just stay safe, for me and all of the rest of us, stay stay safe. K