Terrified Wife

Alisongs

May 17, 2024
East of England
I don't know who gave you the information but AS say that someone with "Severe mental impairment" is disregarded for council tax.

As with so many bits of information, it's like Chinese whispers. The further from the proper source, the more distorted the information gets. Haven't got the council application to hand but it definitely stated that the person with dementia had to be the sole occupant. We've already paid for the year, and once I put various printed evidences together I'll query it with the Council Tax department, copying to the Chief Executive, who was at our wedding!

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
As with so many bits of information, it's like Chinese whispers. The further from the proper source, the more distorted the information gets. Haven't got the council application to hand but it definitely stated that the person with dementia had to be the sole occupant. We've already paid for the year, and once I put various printed evidences together I'll query it with the Council Tax department, copying to the Chief Executive, who was at our wedding!
Hi @Alisongs - we get a discount against our council tax and my OH is a PWD and we live together in the house - if you call this living!
As they say, every little helps!

Skylark/2

Aug 22, 2022
Re council tax reduction. Husband ( Alzheimer’s) was living at home with me when I applied and received it. It was backdated by a few months. He is now in care so I have to fill out another form saying I am now a single occupant in the house but still get the 25% reduction.
The form to get Attendance Allowance is long and complicated, husband notable to complete it and I asked for help and did it over the phone with someone from Carers Association. Remember to answer questions as though it’s the worst day when caring!
As I’m sure you know, it’s not easy filling out the b….. forms, good luck on Wednesday. Let us know how you get on please

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
Re : council tax. @Alisongs , the disregard is called 'severe mental impairment disregard.'
If a person with dementia lives alone then they are exempt.
If pwd lives with one other adult then the other adult is treated a a single occupancy and qualifies for 25% discount
If pwd lives with two other adults then no SMI disregard.

If there's only the two of you then you are entitled to SMI disregard. It's a disregard of the pwd effectively giving a 25% discount to you as a single occupant .

. My GP confirmed my oh dementia on the form he was sent by our LA and the award was backdated to the date if diagnosis! Only could give arrears to the start of the council tax year but it was a nice refund

Please apply for it x

Alisongs

May 17, 2024
East of England
Re : council tax. @Alisongs , the disregard is called 'severe mental impairment disregard.'
If pwd lives with one other adult then the other adult is treated a a single occupancy and qualifies for 25% discount

If there's only the two of you then you are entitled to SMI disregard. It's a disregard of the pwd effectively giving a 25% discount to you as a single occupant .

. My GP confirmed my oh dementia on the form he was sent by our LA and the award was backdated to the date if diagnosis! Only could give arrears to the start of the council tax year but it was a nice refund

Please apply for it x
I understand all this but the form we were sent is wrong!

Alisongs

May 17, 2024
East of England

Please apply for it x

Maybe worth asking for the right one. There are so many different forms, it gets confusing
They sent me the right form as they see it. The information on it is wrong. Not going to bother again until Chief Exec gets it changed

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
They sent me the right form as they see it. The information on it is wrong. Not going to bother again until Chief Exec gets it changed
You will miss out on the discount. Sometimes you have to be proactive is getting things sorted. I find you have to shout for every right you are entitled to. Its exhausting but when it's done it's finished move to the next hurdle.

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
Please don't call it a discount, it's a disregard! The pwd is disregarded. I spoke to a nice council employee and she picked me up for calling it a discount. She told me it's a disregard and would be a different form
The single occupancy discount was applied automatically by the council when oh was disregarded as they knew there was only the two of us here

Last edited:

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Please don't call it a discount, it's a disregard! The pwd is disregarded. I spoke to a nice council employee and she picked me up for calling it a discount. She told me it's a disregard and would be a different form
The single occupancy discount was applied automatically by the council when oh was disregarded as they knew there was only the two of us here
I'm sorry my fault DISREGARD is the word.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Mandatory disregard is the correct phrase, just like they can't apply council tax on children, someone with a severe mental Impairment is mandatory disregard and you can get it backdated, I did.
Mandatory means it is the law (UK England) any different and they are acting illegally.
Along with living alone, children under a certain age or someone diagnosed with a severe mental impairment, it isn't discretionary, it's a mandatory disregard. K

LouiseK!

Jul 17, 2020
My husband, 67,has Diabetes type 1, Parkinsons and dementia. Rapid decline in 5 years! He's been in hospital 5 weeks as no longer safe to leave him alone at home, safeguarding risk to both of us and our house. House and garage a mess as Lockdown stopped a refurb and he was not fit after that. Hoarded. everything even broken CDs. I was 65 last week, made redundant 18 months ago, couldn't work again as husband falling apart. Can't have him home again as he can't be left and he is now declared no medical capacity doesn't understand doing insulin jabs (55 years experience just gone!) So he needs a nursing home. No choice. Medical decision. Doesn't understand or want this. We got married 2 years ago to give me security in the face of his il health but he has since vehemently refused Powers of Attorney, a Will, even Attendance Allowance. We were going to downsize and go travelling. I am not State Pension age yet, just got first month's pension from job. I can't afford to refurb andkeep a 4 bed house on 13k a year, need his savings and State Pension. But I can't sell without Court Order now and Court of Protection guardianship. Both hugely expensive will take years. Husband has enough money to be self funding for a while. I have no idea what costs there will be and I certainly cannot subsidise any top up on 13k a year. I have no idea what's coming as hospital and social services haven't even found a willing nursing home yet. Neither of us has children or other family and our few friends that we have left don't want to know. If I kill myself then the authorities will surely handle his affairs and use my pension lump sum savings to extend care for about six months and then he will be to gaga to know or care what happens. I am terrified, lonely and suicidal, staring into an abyss. Jumping in is the only way to end the uncertainty.
Please make an appointment with your GP or mental health nurse. Your self care is so important. You have no strength to carry on this way. Make your cry for help be known. So sorry that you are going through this terrible situation. Sending prayers and healing 🙏 ❤️

Alisongs

May 17, 2024
East of England
expand...
Hospital finally agreed to discharge OH straight home. District nurses for insulin jabs twice daily free forever. Currently got reenablement support 5x day for his medication. Discharge Team not chuffed with hospital mismanagement of his needs and care. Been home a few days, reenablement and district nurse jabs not all as promised....but other support is coming from all sides at last. Adjustments all round required. OH chafing to get into town to barbers. Is not aware how bad his dementia is. That's the most difficult bit....

Alisongs

May 17, 2024
East of England
Hospital finally agreed to discharge OH straight home. District nurses for insulin jabs twice daily free forever. Currently got reenablement support 5x day for his medication. Discharge Team not chuffed with hospital mismanagement of his needs and care. Been home a few days, reenablement and district nurse jabs not all as promised....but other support is coming from all sides at last. Adjustments all round required. OH chafing to get into town to barbers. Is not aware how bad his dementia is. That's the most difficult bit....
THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED. THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR SUPPORT.

Frances25

Feb 28, 2024
Yes please stay safe. Your post has illustrated how bad you feel , please ring the Samaritans today. Your husband has many complications and type 1 diabetes needs constant monitoring, my GC was diognosed aged three so I do know how it is never off your mind. Please prioritize yourself , you matter , you are important. Do get help asap.