Little black things

Daughters concerns

Oct 20, 2022
Thanks all so much for all the advice you give it's priceless ❤️

I thought I would describe something that mum sees and as yet I haven't or has anyone else!!

Mum says each morning there are little, tiny black dots in her bathroom. She says they're bugs and has no idea where they come from.
She says they're horrible and wipes them up each day and flushes them down the toilet.

Today she said there were some in my bathroom but I hadn't seen them.

I know my grandma used to get random slugs apear in her bathroom and noone knew how they got there so I'm giving mum the benefit of my doubts, but I'm really not sure if they're actually real or not.

Any clues what the black dots/bugs could be?

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello @Daughters concerns It is possible that your mum is having hallucinations, and that the bugs are not real. This could be the result of her dementia.

However if this has just started recently it might be an idea to have your mum checked out to see if she has an infection particularly a UTI, as these can play havoc when a person has dementia.

Daughters concerns

Oct 20, 2022
I did think about hallucinations but because she's doing so well I put that thought away! Mum right now is almost her old self, but then she mentioned the bugs again!

She's been seeing them for months so I don't think it's a UTI she's been tested since this began. It's been going on a while.
I've asked her to not move them or save the paper she's wiped them up with so I can see. But this hasn't happened as yet!

Is it a deteriorating sign?

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
I could be a sign that the dementia is progressing, it also depends on what type of dementia your mum has. Your best bet is to have a work with her GP.

yoy

Jun 19, 2022
My mum used to see spiders crawling up the wall or along the windowsill that weren't actually there. It's not something she has mentioned for ages so maybe it's a phase they go through??

Daughters concerns

Oct 20, 2022
I could be a sign that the dementia is progressing, it also depends on what type of dementia your mum has. Your best bet is to have a work with her GP.
Thank you.
All I know is that she has Alziemers, the diagnosis didn't say anything else than that
I'll have a word with the GP. I would love to be able to see them but as you're both saying they may not be there!!

Jools1402

Jan 13, 2024
Could they be floaters in her eyes (that she has misinterpreted) that clear once she has stood upright for a while.

Alisongs

May 17, 2024
East of England
Could they be floaters in her eyes (that she has misinterpreted) that clear once she has stood upright for a while.
You beat me to it! I got these as a side effect of cataract surgery, black blobs more visible if looking into bright light or a pale background. They do go clear over time, but swim about if you move your head. May be a one off but can reocurr. Seek immediate optician/doctor advice if you get a sudden attack of lots of lines blobs and spider webs in one eye. See https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/floaters-and-flashes-in-the-eyes/

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
As has been said "floaters" I get them and I've never had any eye surgery in my life.
It's like little dots floating in front of you, I understand there's nothing that can be done, however, it is worth getting an eye test done if possible just to be sure.
I now always wear prescription glasses but the light sensitive type lens (photochromatic) I think is the word, brighter it gets darker the lenses go, it works for me and you can buy them for normal vision too.
It's not (round here) difficult to get a free eye test but please if possible get an eye test done, might be something, might just be part of the aging process but get it checked. K

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Do they get darker/clearer in bright light?
Floaters are out of focus images of small debris floating around in the aqueous humour in the eye, the brighter the light with iris stopped down the clearer the image, some people only get them on holiday to sunny climes.

Daughters concerns

Oct 20, 2022
No I don't think so because she picks them up!

I have just googled tiny black bugs in the bathroom, which comes up with pictures so I'm wondering again if she really has got them🤔 but I still have to say I've never seen them myself 😂

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
Thanks all so much for all the advice you give it's priceless ❤️

I thought I would describe something that mum sees and as yet I haven't or has anyone else!!

Mum says each morning there are little, tiny black dots in her bathroom. She says they're bugs and has no idea where they come from.
She says they're horrible and wipes them up each day and flushes them down the toilet.

Today she said there were some in my bathroom but I hadn't seen them.

I know my grandma used to get random slugs apear in her bathroom and noone knew how they got there so I'm giving mum the benefit of my doubts, but I'm really not sure if they're actually real or not.

Any clues what the black dots/bugs could be?

Hi ,is she seeing these ' bugs' after the shower has been running ? Water drops?
My oh thought raindrops running down the windscreen of the car were bugs.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Ladybirds, or ladybugs if it's USA, they're over like a rash this summer.
I've never seen so many in my life, strange thing is they so much smaller than I seem to remember. K

PammieA

Jan 17, 2024
My mum, diagnosed with Vascular Dementia 2 months ago, she talks about seeing little black dots in different areas of her home.
Last night they were on her dinner plate.
They are definitely hallucinations.
Mum has other hallucinations or sees shapes of things which she sees as a thing or person - for example, a bush swaying in the wind (in the distance), she thought was a small child on a swing. Mum sometimes sees a dog and other people in her home.
I think it is part of the Dementia and might not always mean it's a decline.
My mum has some days where no one would know she has dementia, and these hallucinations are intermittent.
I hope this helps a little @ Daughters concerns.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
This comes up periodically on these boards. I remember reading one member saying that her husband said he could see bugs crawling all over the floor and she had to pretend to stomp on all the bugs then get a dustpan and brush to sweep them all up before her husband was reassured. I also remember a chap in mums care home who used to pick bugs off the floor that no-one else could see.

Dementia is weird