1. Amy in the US

Amy in the US Registered User

Feb 28, 2015
    USA
    Ann, my mother's wonderful neurologist has mentioned, in passing, some types of self-harm behaviours in dementia patients, although not specifically skin tears. I will see him, probably, in December and will make myself a note to ask him about this. I have definitely heard him mention the banging on surfaces (tables, walls, but especially windows and doors) and know that is not uncommon and can cause bruising or skin tears. It sounds like the staff do their best to redirect these sorts of behaviours and the fact that they are monitoring sounds appropriate to me.

I agree, it's crushing to think of your MIL so distressed that she would do this. I am sorry.

The wall mount for the TV is a good idea. We did this with my mother's flat screen television, when we moved her to the new unit in October. I was worried she might try to adjust it and break it or something, but it's been fine. We were careful to place it where it would be direct line of sight from where she likes to sit.

In addition to musicals and Disney-type things, don't overlook nature programmes. I think many people find those are acceptable and as they haven't got people in them, it might be a good choice for MIL. The BBC Planet Earth type series, perhaps? Or would she watch sporting events and would they upset her in any way if she did?

And skip the Sound of Music; it has soldiers in it and you don't need a repeat of her confabulations/delusions of the men with the guns!

2. Spamar

Spamar Registered User

Oct 5, 2013
    Suffolk
    Afternoon, just to remind you that The Secret Life of the Zoo, is on 4 tonight at 20:00. The zoo is, of course, Chester!

This pm there has been sunshine, followed by high winds, very heavy rain, a rainbow, yellow sky, yellow pink sky - and now it's getting dark! My oak tree leaves have all turned yellow over one day., guess they will be all on the floor together as well. They'll be a mess. Not sure how many leaves on an oak that's roughly 59'x 50' x50' - but it's a lot!!

Hope everybody is OK as possible, Grace, how are things going?

3. Slugsta

Slugsta Registered User

Afternoon all,

Ann, I'm glad you had a better visit with MIL. How horrible to think of her self-harming in her frustration/fear/anger :( It does sound as if the staff are on the ball and thinking of ways to help MIL settle.

I agree with Amy's suggestion to give The Sound of Music a miss (good thinking Amy!) as men with guns could feed into the old delusions. Wildlife stuff sounds good - as long as she doesn't have any particular phobias (you'd be surprised how often ssssssnakes turn up!) and won't get upset when one animal is eaten by another.

Amy, great idea to have an emergency supply of pull-ups stashed somewhere. I have 1 pair in the car and have put a pack in the staff office. I won't hurt to put more in the car in case there is a problem when the staff are not there (evenings, weekends and banks hols).

Mum has returned from DC recently with the spare pair that she carries gone. I don't mind DC using them - but they do have a whole pack that I took in for Mum's use! Communication breakdown again I suspect.

Grace, I echo Spamar's concern. I do hope that things are going well for you, that your knee is healing well and that the outlaws are leaving you alone.

Thanks for asking how our flat buying is going. I heard today from the EA who is selling the flat, our vendors have had an offer refused but we hope this is just a matter of negotiation. The property they like is empty, so that would be great! The vendors have also emailed all the other freeholders and have had replies from all but one elderly couple. They have said they will go round in person if they haven't heard by tomorrow (an elderly couple who possibly don't rely on internet as much as some of us). Those who have responded have said yes, so it's looking good so far. We will ask our solicitors to make it clear in the contract that this is a vital factor.

It's been dull and damp here but temps still in double figures. I would prefer it cold and dry - but I don't get a vote! :D

4. 2jays

2jays Registered User

Jun 4, 2010
    West Midlands
    Ann : for the last 6 months to a year, mum sat in the dining room with the staff doing their books, but basically on her own. She really didn't "settle" in the lounge with the others. Too much information around, and the need to.... I can't think of the right word.... but have to conform came to mind.....

She did still get taken to activities up until her last fortnight, but mostly sat with her fiddle stuff in the dining room. Very content.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

5. Ann Mac

Ann Mac Registered User

Oct 17, 2013
    Hi everyone,

Hello Margi29 - Awful for you that you have a Mil who is so unpleasant to you, just as a part of her 'normal' behaviour. The way my Mil is/was with me when she lived here is completely the opposite of the type of person she was pre-dementia - she and I used to have a really good relationship, we were friends - though I admit, and I've said often, that once the dementia progressed to the stage where she was so insulting and horrible with me, it was so bad that I seriously wondered if all the years of friendship and affection hadn't been just an act and and if, in fact, she really had always disliked me and thought such negative things about me. Reading the posts on TP, though, I'm far from being the only carer who has ended up feeeling like that :(

Hiya Red, so glad you are on the final stretch to geting all the arrangements sorted for your Dad - I hope the 'home stretch' is as stress free as possible for you. I also hope that the wee hoglet has turned up! Poor little mite - if he/she does show, might be an idea to contact one of the hedgehog rescue places (if you haven't already), as I gather that rearing an undersized/very young hedgehog can be really tricky.

Cheers Spamar - got the secret Life of the Zoo set on series record, though haven't had chance to watch any of it yet :D We've seen and spoken to the various film crews at the zoo on several visits over the last few months - I'm looking forward to the episode when the first lot of this years 3 litters of baby capybara's make an appearance - we arrived when the babies were about 3 hours old, and already charging round the enclosure ! Channel 4 had managed to film the last couple of babies arriving - apparently Mum was grazing, stopped to pop out her 4 babies in the middle of the paddock - then was back to eating as though nothing had happened. What a trouper :eek: :D

Hopefully, Slugsta, its a case of the last couple simply not having read their emails, and that all will be OK about the kitty's and the new flat. Regarding the pull ups you left for your Mum at DC - did you mark the pack with your Mum's name? There's a good chance that any staff who had been off, even for just a day or so, missed out on the info that there was a pack there for your Mum specifically, and either that the pack is sitting there unused or that the contents have been used for others if the pack hadn't been labeled :( So annoying for you!

Thanks Amy - I actually had Sound of Music on my list of DVD's to get for Mil, but you are right! And I wish I'd seen that, or even had the sense to think a bit harder before I went shopping yesterday afternoon, when amongsth many other DVD's, I bought Mil some DVD's of comedy series that she used to enjoy on TV - including one called 'Dad's Army'! I don't suppose you are familiar with that series, it was about a group of 'Home Guards' (men who were considered too old or too young or in reserved occupations for the regular army and who instead volunteered as a secondary defence force in the UK) - it was a very gentle, quite typical example of a late 1960's/early 70's UK sitcom - and Mil absolutely loved it, along with other sitcoms from the same era. But now you have me wondering if, despite the fact that there was never any violence and every aspect of it ws humerous, if giving it to her is a good idea! Very glad you said something - I'll have to have a think on that one!

I bought maybe a dozen DVD's in total for Mil, mostly new, but a couple from a charity shop I popped into too - not quite Christmas yet, but being as Mil, bless her, doesn't know if its May or December these days, I fugured I'd just go for films that she loves/would love, irrespective of the season - so Elf, Polar Express and Miracle on 34th Street made the list, as did South Pacific, Chicken Run and others in a similar vein. The idea about nature/wildlife is a good one - but its best to avoid raw nature, as such. Clips of a lion taking down a baby zebra would really upset her, for example - but I did find one of the old Disney animal 'adventure' films, 'The Brothers' that I'm pretty sure she would enjoy. OH and I are hoping to go to one of the big indoor markets today, in Ellesmere Port or Birkenhead, to see if we can find some more suitable musicals for her.

I did a search on here Red, for info about self harming and dementia - but found nothing. Though thinking about it, maybe I should have been more specific and searched with a term like 'scratching herself/himself', instead of 'self harming'? - I didn't think at the time. I did do a quick search, just good old google, and skimmed 3 or 4 articles that came up. All mention the banging on tables and windows etc., that Amy mentions - and as you guys all know, Mil over the last 3 years has done plenty of that, and sustained both bruises and skin tears as a result. But only one article referred briefly to a dementia patient deliberately biting themselves - which is on a par, in my head, to Mil deliberately pinching/gouging/scrathcing herself. To me there is a difference between the two types of injury - with the banging, Mil's aim was to either make a lot of noise to try and force us into opening doors for her, or to break the doors or windows open so she could get out and go to the police/to work/to the dance/go home. Any injuries she sustained were just incidental to her desire to get out/escape. With what she is doing now, the main aim is to actually cause herself harm - and that's why I find it so upsetting. I forgot to say that 3 times now, since she has been i the home, she has told me she wishes she was dead - that happened once in a blue moon when she lived here, 3 times in under two weeks is a big increase, and combined with the deliberately hurting herself, its hard not to find it upsetting and I can't help worrying about it :(

Thanks 2jays - I think Mil is struggling with noise levels in the main part of the lounge, you have hit the nail on the head there. And I also think that Mil tends to think that she is more likely to be staff than 'one of those nutters' - a term she has used several times both in hospital and in the home, to describe the other PWD's - she can recognise sometimes bizarre behaviour in others - but not in herself. So she feels - for the moment - more comfortable in what i supposed could be regarded as the 'staff' area. The staff certainly don't mind, so as long as its helping Mil, I'm not going to worry about her being isolated at this point.

Grace - hope all is OK with you hun?

I'm determined not to work today - laptop and work phone are switched off and locked away! Shattered, but have a lot to do today, so I had better get cracking :rolleyes:

Hope you all have a good day xxxxx

6. RedLou

RedLou Registered User

Jul 30, 2014
  7. jugglingmum

jugglingmum Registered User

Jan 5, 2014
    Female
    Chester
    Need to catch up with my posts and what I've been up to on here

Ann - if you see this don't bother with Birkenhead market today - snowbound and traffic chaos - might bump into you if you do Ellesmere Port

8. arielsmelody

arielsmelody Registered User

Jul 16, 2015
    If it was my mum, I'd be buying lots of Doris Day films and musicals like Singing in the Rain. She also likes gentle travelogues with people like Griff Rhys Jones and Penelope Keith wandering around Britain - might be safer than a proper nature program? My MIL used to watch Downton Abbey on repeat, but I'm not sure if it has any heavy storylines.

9. Spamar

Spamar Registered User

Oct 5, 2013
    Suffolk
    Just imagining JM and Ann having coffee somewhere nice!
    I had lunch with a couple of friends, which we do every couple of months. Good catch up! Lots of chat, no change there then!
    Out last night for a seasonal dinner at one of our local farm shop/ cafes. Really nice, and spent the whole evening chatting!
    Cold here today, frost this morning, but no snow, thank goodness!

10. Ann Mac

Ann Mac Registered User

Oct 17, 2013
    #6470 Ann Mac, Nov 19, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
    Morning all,

Thanks for that Red - I thought a search would check the archives as well, but the one I did didn't throw up those threads - so thank you x So it seems to be a documented - albeit infrequent - situation that others have faced, and knowing its not just Mil helps in an odd way, though I have no idea what preventative measures anyone could take :(

I hope the source of the leak has been found and put right, Hun! Last thing anyone needs, especially at this time of year. And what about the baby hedgehog - has s/he turned up?

JM - we didn't go to the markets in the end, as I explained in my pm - OH had just finished a run of nights, yesterday morning, and couldn't drag himself out of bed in time - I did think he was being very optimistic, thinking that he could manage on just 4 hours sleep, tbh! We went out at 3, just locally, and found a nice TV/DVD combi, and a wall bracket for Mil - but are going to try heading for the markets today, now - though if the weather warnings are accurate, I'm not banking on it - its absolutely freezing here this morning, and I would not be surprised if we end up with some snow!

Thanks arielsmelody - yep, I have Doris Day films on my list, as well as musicals like 'My Fair Lady', 'Mary Poppins', 'Mama Mia' and others. She was a big Elvis fan, so if I can find any of his, particularly 'Blue Hawaii' or 'Viva Las Vegas', it would be good too - that's why we are heading to the markets, if we can - having checked out the big supermarkets, I think I have more chance of finding the films that I think she will (a) enjoy and (b) won't upset her, from the second hand/market stalls. I don't know if she will enjoy the travel type programme you mention - its not something I've ever seen her take an interest in, TBH, but I'll look and see if I can find anything of that sort that I think might grab her attention. Its hard . . . she was a big John Wayne fan - but westerns, with the guns and lynchings, are not a good idea. And she once told me that 'Love me Tender' was her favourite Elvis film - but he gets shot in the end of that one, which makes it a big fat 'No' too! I'm sticking to films I've seen myself and that I remember, just to be on the safe side - and being brutal about ruling out anything at all that might spark her having a scary delusion.

Glad you had both a lovely lunch and dinner out, Spamar :D Really cold here too, as I said - we have also had lots of rain (and sometimes sleet) here over the last week, so the roads aren't too great here - if OH wasn't driving, I wouldn't venture out at all (he is far more confident than I, in bad driving conditions - a couple of ner misses, several years ago, when I worked as a home carer through one particularly bad winter have left me really disliking driving in snow and ice!).

As I said, we picked up a new TV, with built in DVD, for Mil, yesterday, and took it, along with the DVD's that I have so far bought her, to the home. I made a point of advising staff to stick to the DVD's rather than the TV, explaining how upset she could get if an unsuitable programme came on and she worked it into a delusion. I hope that they listen, for their sake as well as Mils.

Mil was still sat at the 'staff' end of the lounge, but this time she was by another lady, which we were glad to see. She was glad to see us, though she sort of peered at me, trying to work out who I was, I think. We moved to one of the tables in the dining area - and almost straight away, it was clear she was feeling paranoid/fearful. The gunmen were back, as was the conviction that just about everyone was out to get her. She was also very fixated on telling us that the cardingan she was wearing was her Mums, and it was her Mum's nail varnish she had used to do her nails, and she was wearing her Mum's jumper . . . after about 10 minutes, the gunmen seemed to fade out, along with all the comments about her wearing her Mum's clothes, and they were replaced by her being certain that she was in a pub, one that used to be owned by her mate Shirl's daughter, where Mil used to live. That pub had actually been knocked down about 4 years ago, and neither OH nor I could see any resemblence between how it used to look and Mil's current surroundingsd anyway - but hey-ho, on she chattered, about how Shirl works there and how the food had gone downhill, and all sorts of ramblings. Dau joined us - her school is just 5 minutes walk away and we'd arranged for her to meet us there when school finished - and Mil greeted her quite warmly, and even asked about our son - though she then got herself really muddled as she couldn't work out why son was in uni and youngest dau wasn't. She kept asking, but no matter how simply we put it, she seemed unable to grasp that dau is too young for uni - very odd. The skin tears on her left arm looked worse - she had clearly been picking at them, and made them bigger and deeper. According to Mil, they had been caused by 'that big dog biting me' :(

Out of the blue, she suddenly switched to she wanted to ' go home, come on lets go home, give me a lift home, I want to go home now' - very abrupt switch, and immediately agitated and getting cross. Our cue to leave, asap - already its clear that once she starts with the home business, our presence seems to fuel it, so for both Mil's and the staffs sake, its best if we go once it starts. Again, staff were there very quickly, to distract her whilst we left.

Hopefully - depending on weather and OH actually managing to wake in time - we'll be heading off to Ellesmere Port this afternoon. This morning, I'm going to try and get my case packed for Monday, when I'm off to S.Wales for a couple of days again - just want to have it all sorted, as tomorrow we are heading to Coventry to see oldest. I managed to tackle the house and gave the place a darn good clean yesterday - just as well, 'cos I think Kim and Aggie were planning on visiting if I didn't do something quickly! - so hoping that a quick tidy up will do today. A week on Monday, I have to head to Newcastle for a couple of days, but hoping that will be it in terms of travel, until after Christmas. I've bought some Christmas bits and bobs, but intend to go and get all the pressie shopping done in just one or two shopping trips, once Newcastle is out of the way then another trip for frozen/cupboard food, leaving me with only the fresh stuff to buy nearer the time. OH was wavering over whether or not we should try bringing Mil here for the day on Christmas day - I guenuinely think that doing that wouldn't be good for her - I don't think she could cope - never mind us, so I hope I've persuaded him to think again!

11. Grace L

Grace L Registered User

Jun 14, 2014
    NW UK
    Hello everyone.... Thanks for your thoughts , I'm doing OK-ish.

I've been over to MiL with Niece and her youngest, just quick pop-in visit.
    We didn't tell the rest of the 'outlaws' , as they would be cross with us, especially me for visiting.
    MiL looked flustered and was on edge 'literally' of her chair, repeating over and over,
    wanting to know what we wanted and why we were visiting.
    We just popped in with a shopping, and bag of food, niece did a quick sweep of a fridge clean, had a cup of tea, and we left.
    Probably there 20-30 mins tops.... Niece's youngest far to young to understand Alz.
    MiL called me 'dear', not sure she knew who I was, and niece/s 'love'.

Felt better at having seen her, but then anxious at family reaction when they find out we have visited and not told them / informed them beforehand.
    If they want to see her, find out how she is they could always pop in themselves.

AnnM, I think the Pound shop' sells CD/DVD .... re-plays??? I'm sure someone told me this.
    Late husband used to 'launch' the TV remote.... tape the back on so the batteries don't go missing.

Busy day today, will try and catch up later.

Take care xxxx

12. AnoviceinN1

AnoviceinN1 Registered User

Feb 27, 2014
    Irish DVD's?

Hi Ann, I was just wondering whether your MIL might enjoy some Irish-themed DVD's? I don't know any of these myself, having almost no connection with Ireland, but Amazon offers various options, including some with Irish songs, and they don't seem expensive to me. They shouldn't be scary and might even bring back some happy memories.

13. Onlyme

Onlyme Registered User

Apr 5, 2010
    UK
    How about a Riverdance DVD?

As you saw on the link my MIL picked at everything until she bled. Mil didn't know what was under the dressings.

Mum didn't always recognise her limbs as her own own and saw them as foreign and was aggressive towards them. Strangely she thought my hands were hers. :confused:

14. LadyA

LadyA Registered User

Oct 19, 2009
    Ireland
    Ann, William had a favourite dvd box set, it was Frank Patterson, the Irish Tenor. Lots of old songs, familiar to older people, clear enough to sing along to if they can. Also a favourite of William's was Terry Woman's Ireland. Terry Wogan would also of course be very familiar.

15. Slugsta

Slugsta Registered User

Afternoon,

Sorry to hear that some of you are having nasty weather :( It is much cooler here and wet but not down to freezing, thankfully!

Ann, I was also going to suggest Amazon for some of the older DVDs, they have people selling used DVDs (and books). It's hard to think of things that have absolutely no chance of upsetting MIL and causing nasty delusions.

I hope the visit to Coventry goes well and the roads are not too bad. There were a lot of nasty accidents hereabouts over the past day or two.

I do think you are right to suggest that MIL stays where she is for Christmas Day. I remember reading quite a few threads leading up to Christmas last year - and afterwards. The people who did take the PWD out of the CH pretty much all regretted it! :(

Grace, it's lovely to hear from you! I hope you don't get any backlash from the outlaws for having visited MIL.

Onlyme (or would you rather be called Lemony?) I know that some people who have strokes fail to recognise the 'dead' side of their body as their own, but I have never heard of anyone thinking that someone else's hands belong to them! :confused:

Red, I do hope that your leak is sorted and didn't cause any damage!

Mum was quite slow yesterday, had to nudge her along quite often as she stopped and seemed to have forgotten what she was supposed to be doing :( Other than that, she was in fairly good form. I spoke to her GP yesterday and he was happy to stop her Aricept for a while to see how she responds. I don't expect it to have a huge effect on her continence but it is certainly worth trying! She has a couple of weeks worth of meds left before she starts a new batch of blisterpacks so it will probably be about 6 weeks before I have any idea how things are going.

We have heard from the Estate Agent to say that the last of the freeholders has given permission for us to have cats in the flat :) No news yet about the vendors offering on the property they like so fingers still crossed that things go smoothly!

16. Spamar

Spamar Registered User

Oct 5, 2013
    Suffolk
    Morning - I hesitate to say good cos the rain is really heavy here, wind isn't OTT, but gusty. Glad I haven't got to go out today!
    Pleased things are going relatively OK for everybody. Slugsta, hope you're packing! Do you expect to move before Christmas?
    See you later!

17. Ann Mac

Ann Mac Registered User

Oct 17, 2013
    Morning all,

Grace, its awful that you can't even visit your Mil without fretting over what the out-laws will say or do in response. You are simply not answerable to them - a fact they seem incapable of appreciating :mad: Stress like this, is I'm sure, affecting your recovery hun - the sooner you can seel and escape that poisonous bunch, the better xxxxx

Anovice1 - thank you. Yes - we did look for Irish themed DVD's , epecially musical ones - she used to have The Dubliners in concert on video, which she watched a lot, so that was they type in particular that I was hoping to spot - Amazon/ebay are my next stop. The Terry Wogan's Ireland is another great idea, Lady A - she did have a delusion that Terry was a close personal friend of hers (when he sadly passed away she was adamant that I had to phone his parents as they would want Mil to go to the funeral!) , but as long as no one mentions he has passed away, I don't think that believing she knows him would upset her. I don't know if she was ever familiar with Frank Patterson - but its certainly worth checking out :)

Glad the permission has been given for Sky and Alfie, Slugsta - just need the vendors to have their offer accepted now and it sounds like it will be all go :) Dos this mean a move may happen before Christmas? If so, I hope it all goes smoothly and that you and Mr Slugsta are all tucked up in your new abode for Xmas, with the minimum of fuss and stress. I also hope stopping the aricept has a positive effect on the continence for your Mum - I know that she doesn't seem upset by the 'accidents', which is great for her sake, but I also know how difficult it is for carers and family to cope with the incontinence, so as you say, worth a try xxx

Lemony - thank you! Somehow, until I read your post, I'd totally forgotten that Mil LOVED Riverdance - she had a couple of video's of performances, but sadly as with the vast majority of her video collection, when she moved in with us, not only did we find that her player was broken, but also that most of her tapes were damaged too. But that shold definitely be one I can track down.

Really strange that your Mum didn't either recognise her own limbs, or mistook your hands for hers! What a difficult thing to have to deal with. Its not the same as what Mil's doing - she isn't compulsively picking as a habit, or mistaking her own arms as being alien. The self harm with her is very deliberately aimed at herself in order to cause damage when she is angry. It reminds me of tales of toddlers head banging or biting themselves in frustration. However, whatever the reason for it, the end results are the same, aren't they? And reading the threads, it seems pretty much impossible to stop :( Just have to keep a close eye - the only thing I can come up with is asking the home if its worth getting some sort of antiseptic cream and applying it regularly to try and cut down on the infection risk?

We managed to get out yesterday, to Ellesmere Port. One of the markets had closed by the time we got there, and surprisingly, we couldn't find anything on the other market, so we hit the charity shops, and pound shops, etc, and finally the big Asda there. We collected Mary Poppins, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Mama Mia, Its a Wonderful Life, White Christmas and then I spotted a boxed set, in the supermarket, of all the Carry On Films - another old favourite of Mils, so we grabbed that too. I also picked up a half dozen CD's, as they can also be played on the DVD player. I know with the films that Mil may only be able to focus to actually watch them for a short time, but that short time may well be enough of a distraction, at least on occasion, to ease her when she os particularly agitated - and thats the main thing. It also means that she isn't just sat in her room, staring out the window or at the walls if the staff feel she needs some time away from others. The next step is to hit the internet to try and find 2 or 3 Elvis movies, Riverdance DVD's, The Terry Wogan's Ireland, and anything with Irsih music on, as well as 'My Fair Lady', which is a film we know she used to really love.

Off to visit Oldest today - hopefully the roads won't be too bad (Thanks for the warning Slugsta!). Then tomorrow, off on my work based travels again - the meeting isn't till Tuesday, but as it starts at 9a.m., I couldn't get there in time travelling from North Wales, so have to go down on The Monday - the nice thing is, its a National Meeting, so several others have had to do the same, including the lady who has been linked as my 'Buddy' - and she is lovely :) I'm meeting up with her and 3 or 4 others for dinner - and then we might just take advantage of the hotels' spa facilities :D

18. jugglingmum

jugglingmum Registered User

Jan 5, 2014
    Female
    Chester
    Ann - carry on up the Khyber - and some of the other Carry on films may not be suitable - as there are guns in these too - so difficult to find something innocous - although nothing innocuous about Carry on Films anyway:rolleyes::D

I remember some scary bits (sofa hiding when very little) in Chitty chitty bang bang as well

19. cragmaid

cragmaid Registered User

Oct 18, 2010
    North East England
    Ann, you know you don't need to buy the DVDs all at once:rolleyes: Just take two or three in at a time and see how they go before you add more to the collection. My Mum used to watch things half a dozen times over and still swear blind that she'd never seen them at all.
    She did the same with audio books.... would MIL listen to a story over earphones?

20. Slugsta

Slugsta Registered User

Afternoon all,

Snap JM! I was going to warn about some of the Carry On films too, I had 'Carry on Sergeant' in mind in particular. So hard to think of things that are certain not to cause upset :(

Mum used to listen to her Christian music tapes/CDs all the time but I haven't heard them for a while. Of course, if I ask Mum whether she still listens to them she say 'Yes' but I suspect otherwise. I'm not sure what to do about that when I'm not there but I guess I could tolerate some of them when I am in her flat for a while - such as tomorrow which is podiatry day.

The weather here was pretty rough yesterday evening and overnight but much better today. Not that I have been anywhere, I have spent much of the day filling in the form to claim Attendance Allowance for Mum - must get that done before the new system comes in next year. I have sent photocopies of the PoA forms, fingers crossed that they will accept these as each certified copy cost Mum £30 and DWP don't return them!

We have been told that it takes an average of 12 weeks to convey a flat, as opposed to 8 weeks for a house, so we don't expect to be in before Christmas. It will be nice to have one last Christmas here, invite the neighbours round one afternoon (we have done that a couple of times but not every year) and maybe ask our buyers if they would like to pop in and say Hi. I'm certainly of a mind to get the removal company to do the packing for us but I must get on and do some more decluttering - I haven't done any for a week or so,