Dementia, no mobility and incontinence

Boutinette

Nov 15, 2023
Hello
Just wondering if anybody out there is caring at home for husband/wife who has delirium/dementia, can’t weight bear at all so has to be hoisted, so can’t go to toilet but double incontinence has set in anyway
And if there is , could you tell me what it’s like and how you are coping ?
Thank you

extoyboy

Oct 2, 2021
My wife's completely bedbound and a hoist isn't an option. We have 2 carers twice a day (breakfast and early evening) to deal with hygiene etc. She also has a urethral catheter which bypasses quite frequently so has Tena pads to catch anything. She then has additional absorbent 'kylie' pads to try and catch anything that misses the pads. As her diet is very poor (not through lack of me trying to get her to eat) she tends to be constipated so urine is more the issue for her than anything else.

Despite the doubling up of barriers I still tend to have to do a lot of washing.

If you haven't already done so then get in touch with your local continence service as they will most likely perform an assessment and provide the pads for free.

genevieve 76

Oct 22, 2023
Husband is bedridden can barely sit up by himself never mind stand. Has been doubly incontinent for a year and a half, its very hard, there are things that can help, kylie sheets, waterproof bedding, pads, pull ups, but some days are horrific, washing bedding, changing pads over and over again, stuff spread all over bed and walls. Carers were no use to me, they didn't come when needed, I still had to do the night hours alone, and most of the day hours too. Luckily I have had some periods of respite, he's been to a care home for a couple of weeks while I had a decent break and some sleep. I think I've just been on auto pilot for so long, just battling through each day. Ask for help, you'll need it. Good luck.