Worried about John

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Maggie, how lovely to hear from you, I've been wondering how you were getting on. I hope you keep popping in when you have time, we still care about you.:)

John is OK, though he still has fluid on his lungs. The GP said the heart failure won't necessarily shorten his life expectation, though it depends on how his other organs stand up. He's due to have more blood tests today, to compare with the ones a fortnight ago, and that will show how things are progressing.

But he's still John, and apart from his cough and wheezing there is no difference.

Fingerts crossed.:)

Love,

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Hazel,
It's good to hear that it shouldn't make any difference to his life expectancy. I was quite scared when I first read about his condition so I can imagine how you were feeling.

What with floods and all, you've had more than enough action in your neck of the woods lately. It reminds me of the old Chinese curse "May you live in interesting times". Here's wishing you some peace and quiet and boredom.:)

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
It reminds me of the old Chinese curse "May you live in interesting times". Here's wishing you some peace and quiet and boredom.:)

Thank you Joanne. We've certainly had our share of 'interesting times'!:eek:

Peace and quiet would be nice, not sure about the boredom though, that would be guaranteed to send me screaming round the bend!:D

Love,

sad nell

Mar 21, 2008
bradford west yorkshire
Hazel hope Johns cough soon clears, if you are board i could post my mountain of ironing to you, could keep you occupied for hours, my accounts need attacking too,any good at paper work?its great news about Connie isnt it, bet your trip seems ages ago now. love pam

Winnie Kjaer

Account Closed
Aug 14, 2009
Devon
Hello Hazel,
I see from your post that your husband has fluid on the lungs. My husband has fluid on his left lung and like John suffers really badly with coughing, wheezing and breathing. He is on all sorts of medication like mycodyne and others for the phlem and acid reflux and uses a nebulizer twice a day, what do you do to help Johns situation? Do you know what has caused the fluid on John's lungs or have you refused tests. I am sorry if you have been through this already but I cannot find it on your threads. I am really interested as we have been strugling with this for almost 2 years now.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Winnie

Yes, it's a long thread, and difficult to find the info you want. Brief update:

John has been in a care home for two years now, he completely lost mobility as a result of a severe UTI. I couldn't manage him at home, because he's 6'2", and weighs 13st. He also hasn't spoken in all that time, beyond the odd yes or no.

He is now into heart failure (diagnosed the day before I went on holiday!:eek:), and that is why he has fluid on the lungs. They're now testing the function of his other organs.

He's on frusemide for the fluid, and is also on an antibiotic at present for his chest. Apart from that he doesn't have any other medication.

It's sad, but his dementia is now so far advanced they don't think the heart failure will affect his life-expectancy.

Your husband has had chest problems for a long time. Has it been investigated?

Love,

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hazel hope Johns cough soon clears, if you are board i could post my mountain of ironing to you, could keep you occupied for hours, my accounts need attacking too,any good at paper work?its great news about Connie isnt it, bet your trip seems ages ago now. love pam

Thanks Pam:D

I hate ironing, in fact I hate housework of any description. Domestic Goddess I aint! But I love paperwork, and will gladly settle down with your accounts. That's my idea of fun!:eek:

It's brilliant about Connie, but I'm not really surprised. I was amazed when we met up in the hotel at Gatwick, I really wasn't expecting her to look as brilliant as she did. (Yes, you're allowed to read this, Connie, I've already told you!:D)

Yes the trip does seem ages ago, though I've been busy making my album. I wish I could post it for you all to see. We're now hoping they come up with similar deals for next year. Perhaps you'd like to join us?:)

Love,

julieann15

Jun 13, 2008
Leicestershire
Hi Skye
Sorry to read about John- hope he is comfortable though? Pam send your ironing to me - I've just finished all ours and my friend John's too:eek:

Love Julie xx

Mameeskye

Aug 9, 2007
NZ
Glad to hear that John is comfortable Hazel. To be cotnent I think, is a blessing.

Maybe you should post an online holiday album....

I did this one years ago ( just realised I had name id in it! )..and I never upped the quality of the photos, but I should have done!! Maybe you can have fun making some montages of your favourite photos.

Last edited:

Winnie Kjaer

Account Closed
Aug 14, 2009
Devon
Hi Hazel
Thank you bringing me up to speed. My husband's fluid on the lung has not been investigated apart from an Xray. The doctor said that he would not suggest an biopsy as my husband would not stand the possible treatment anyway. He is suspecting something nasty there he said,he was quite honest so I have to agree.If you drain it it will only come back. My husband has had 3 strokes and is totally paralysed on the left. He is happy and contented but hates his cough and gets backpains. He sleeps a lot but likes the TV when he is awake. He has Vascular Dementia due to his Strokes the first 6 1/2 years ago and speaks very little. He does however appear to understand everything I and others say to him as he responds with his eyes and sometimes words. He speaks mostly when he just wakes up and late at night. Strange that. I am lucky that he is so happy, cannot wonder and is very good tempered except for the "bloody hurry up" he says to the carers. He has never sworn in his life prior to strokes and would never say boo to anybody he is so laid back.
I don't have any of the problems I read about on this site but did have quite a lot of them with my mother for 15 months. Bless her.

Last edited:

Winnie Kjaer

Account Closed
Aug 14, 2009
Devon
Hello Hazel sorry I edited because I got your name wrong, I am seriously getting worried about myself, I read something and only take 90% of it in. You will have to excuse me. I just notice you share your birthday with my dear late mother.That I should be able to remember!!!!!!!!!!!!

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Just had the results of John's latest blood test. His electrolyte level is way up, so he's off the frusemide, and has to have lots of fluid.

I asked what happened if he retained again, they'll monitor him, and may have to put him back on it. Sounds a bit dodgy, I'm glad he's where he can be monitored, I'd be worried sick if he were at home.

On the positive side, there are no problems with other organs.:)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coop597