Worried about John

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Electrolytes play a vital role in maintaining homeostasis within the body. They help to regulate myocardial and neurological function, fluid balance, oxygen delivery, acid-base balance and much more. Electrolyte imbalances can develop by the following mechanisms: excessive ingestion; diminished elimination of an electrolyte; diminished ingestion or excessive elimination of an electrolyte. The most common cause of electrolyte disturbances is renal failure.
Wikipedia

It's bad, Sylvia. It could be that John's lost too much fluid too quickly as a result of the meds, or it could be a sign of renal failure. They're trying him without meds to see what happens, but he could then have the extreme swelling he had before we went on holiday.

Just have to wait and see.

susiesue

Mar 15, 2007
Herts
Hi Hazel - so sorry to hear that John is still unwell. Fingers crossed he will soon be feeling a lot better.

Thinking of you.

Love

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Oh Hazel...that's rotten luck.

It may be that John will stabilise naturally now without the Frusemide..depends on any existing kidney damage.

But don't give up hope..there are other Diuretics they can try if necessary.

Keep your chin up...thinking about you..:)

Love xx

julieann15

Jun 13, 2008
Leicestershire
Hi Hazel
Sorry to read about John. Same think happened to my friend's mum last week- she was on frusemide and her potassium was sky high. She has now been prescribed a different diuretic

Hope things improve soon?

Love Julie xx

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Keeping everything crossed for you both Hazel.

Do hope that you receive more positive news soon. Hope John is remaining comfortable. Love n'hugs

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Thanks everyone.:)

It may be that John will stabilise naturally now without the Frusemide..depends on any existing kidney damage.

But don't give up hope..there are other Diuretics they can try if necessary.

That's encouraging, gigi, thanks.:)

I'm guessing the electrolyte level wasn't right the day we went to hospital, which is why the panic started. I really need to get to talk to CN, or our GP. I think I'll ring in the morning and try to get an appointment with the GP -- no easy matter when it's not about me, and they know John is being looked after.

I'll just have to hope CN will be on sometime this weekend.

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Hi Hazel,

I'm sorry to hear about John. Is he unwell in himself?

I think I'll ring in the morning and try to get an appointment with the GP -- no easy matter when it's not about me, and they know John is being looked after.

I was a bit surprised that you have to arrange the GP to visit John, but perhaps I have misunderstood and you are going to see the GP to discuss John.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Thanks Jan & Sue.:)

I was a bit surprised that you have to arrange the GP to visit John, but perhaps I have misunderstood and you are going to see the GP to discuss John.

No, the GP visits John, but I've failed to persuade them to let me know when, so that I can be there!:) I'd like to get an appointment to talk to him myself.

John actually doesn't seem any different, asleep most of the time, but quite responsive when awake, and he doesn't look ill. He's lost a lot of puffiness since he was on the frusemide.

Love,

burfordthecat

Jan 9, 2008
Leicestershire
Hazel

Sorry to hear that John's results were worrying. Even though they have decided to stop the frusemide it does sound as if John will be closely monitored.

Hope you get some answers from the GP tomorrow.

Thinking of you both

Love Carina x

Bookworm

Jan 30, 2009
Co. Derry
Thank you so much Hazel for taking the trouble to help me on my thread tonight when you have so much to worry about yourself, xx