Worried about John

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Dear Hazel, so sorry to read about John's latest downturn.

Thank goodness the care home are keeping him calm and comfortable. That is about as much as we can hope for at this stage.

Thinking of you both.

Mameeskye

Aug 9, 2007
NZ
HI Hazel

First of all I am glad when I read that you enjoyed your holiday, but I am so sorry to hear about John's latest downturn.

He appears to be content though from what you write which is a blessing.

(((hugs)))

Love

Mameeskye

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
The fluid is now on John's lungs, and his legs are very swollen. They called the doctor out this morning, he confirmed heart failure. John's now been prescribed Frusamide.

They've also taken bloods, and are having tests done for all other organ functions.

CN was very positive, said there's no sign of liver damage. The dosage of Frusamide will be checked after the results of the blood tests are through. He said there's no reason to think that this will impact John's life expectancy, and he doesn't appear to be in any distress, though he choked quite badly over his lunch today.

So long as he's comfortable!:)

Mameeskye

Aug 9, 2007
NZ
So long as he's comfortable!

I think that is the best that one can hope for. I do hope that the frusemide works well to reduce the fluid, it will ease the weight in his legs. I get swollen legs (yet another disaster inflicted by the boys on my body when I was carrying them!)and they can get a bit uncomfortable at times and a nice massage with nice oil or lotion may help if it appears uncomfortable, using upward strokes if the skin is dry.

Love
to you both

Mameeskye

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Hazel dear, releived to hear that you hink John is comofortable.

He said there's no reason to think that this will impact John's life expectancy, and he doesn't appear to be in any distress,

Hang on to that my love and stay positive. Thinking of you both.

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Glad to hear that John is comfortable, Hazel..and not distressed in any way.

Frusemide will help...once that fluid is removed you may see a big difference...

But it is important for regular blod tests if John stays on Frusemide long term.

Hope you are ok.

Love xx

Scottie45

Jan 25, 2009
CoAntrim
Dear Hazel

So sorry to have just read what has been going on with John,glad to know that he is comfortable,hope the meds kick in quick,will be thinking of you both,take care Marian xx

Nan2seven

Apr 11, 2009
Dorset
Dear Hazel - Brian has a heart problem and is on frusemide too. It works very well for him and quite quickly when his legs swell up. I do have to watch that it doesn't make him constipated, though. Love, Nan XXX

burfordthecat

Jan 9, 2008
Leicestershire
Hi Hazel

Hopefully a little bit of reassurance. My dad had water retention, due to heart failure (which I had not been told at the time:eek:) and was prescribed frusemide. It worked really well without any side effects. Within a matter of days, the fluid build up was gone.

I have mentioned this to you before but if John's legs are very swollen it is really worth while making sure that he sits with his legs raised, as much as possible. Secondly make sure that the CH use a moisturiser a couple of times a day on the stretched skin. If the skin splits then you will down the road of leg ulcers and that is not a good place to be. I used to use Diprobase on dad's legs and he really said that they felt so much softer afterwards and he never did get another ulcer.:)

Sending love to both you and John

Carina x

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Thanks for your concern and reassurance, everyone.:)

Burf, John always has his legs raised, he's either in bed or in a reclining chair. I'll try the massage though, thanks.

Love to all,

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Well, the medication worked, and John lost lots of fluid, the swelling went down and his chest improved. Today however he is very chesty, and I'm worried about him. Add to that that the home now has the vomiting and diarrhoea bug. It started in the residential section, but there are now some cases in the EMI unit. John's OK so far, but I don't think he could take that as well.

Fingers crossed!