Stepdad respite into perminant care question

Imogenlily

Jul 27, 2022
So my stepdad has been in respite care since I think March. It was supposed to be two weeks but it just kept being extended. His social worker finally agreed (very relucntantly) that he needs perminant care as his dementia worsened and frankly I don't feel safe with him in the house - I have told him and done various MASH reports - all were ignored.

Despite that he lived with me, my step sister and step brother - who are my stepdad's LPAs and NoK, I'm not entitlted to any infomation or updates as I wasn't classed as a carer etc (he had in house carers but I was still being forced into a caring role). His social worker said my stepdad's move to perminant care was conditional on a panel agreeing. That was at the beginning of April, I still have no clue about this panel who still haven't made a decision. The only way I can get any info is texting my step sister - but she never volunteers any info. My stepdad is now currently in hospital with urosepsis which I think has been sorted but is still in hospital while people wrangle over the funding - which I think is the big issue with stepdad going into care. He doesn't have the money for it. Last I heard his children have to pay a contribution each I don't understand what is taking this panel so long. The home he's having rebite at have offered him a place so I don't understand who the panel is or why they haven't decided yet.

My mum had to have a panel before she went into a nursing home, but it was all sorted quickly. I'm not sure if it was because she'd been sectioned, but it took about a month, me and my brother attended the zoom panel and they basically said mum had to go into perminant care. With my stepdad it seems the opposite.

I'm really frustrated with not knowing anything. I've just heard from my stepsister (after I texted her yet again to check stepdad's health) that the care home might not be able to hold his place due to him being in hospital for the past three weeks. I've tried to get a freedom of information request about the panel and what type it is, how often it meets etc but that got me nowhere. I'm just really worried someone will force my stepdad back here. I cannot cope mentally or physically with him returning. I've just had the one year anniverary of my mum's death and not have time to mourn her because of all the drama with my stepdad, and I've got my own health issues. I'm also dealing with a potentially nasty and contentious probate/will process that is still dragging out and probably will continue to do so.

I wondered if anyone had any information on how I could get some info about the panel. I'm not 100% sure my step siblings are telling me everything, and the social worker is even worse and basically refuses to communicate with me. All I hear is the panel haven't made a decision and apparently my stepdad keeps needing financial re-asssessments. I don't know if that's true. I don't understand what is holding everything up and what this panel do. Mum's just seemed more straightforward and there were a lot of people involved in her case (due to sectioning). Could anyone give me some info on what this panel might be? From what I understand my stepdad pays part (all his pensions), his children pay part and the council pay part. Could anyone advise about where I could get some info?

I'm still worried they'll try to force my stepdad back here if he looses his care placement as apparently he can only go in certain care homes that the council are willing to fund and this is the only one who've accepted him. What happens if he looses his placement while still in hospital - it sounds like he's mostly better so why he's not back at the care home I'm not sure. It's so difficult to get any damn infomation! I just would like peace of mind. Can anyone recommend how I can find out about this 'panel' etc?

My Mum's Daughter

Feb 8, 2020
This what I thinks happening.

All LA's have a maximum budget that they'll spend on care homes however, it sounds as though this current home's weekly charge is more than the LA will pay. If this is the case, the LA look to the family for top-ups however these can be substantial. If your step siblings can't or won't pay, the LA have to decide if they're are willing to fully fund themselves.

Rayreadynow

Dec 31, 2023
TOP-UP FEES - There is no legal requirement for a third-party to meet this cost.

NHS - TOP-UP FEE's aren't legal if you receive NHS Continuing Health Care funding.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
TOP-UP FEES - There is no legal requirement for a third-party to meet this cost.

NHS - TOP-UP FEE's aren't legal if you receive NHS Continuing Health Care funding.
TOP UP FEES - no there isnt but the home dont have to keep the person with dementia, they may have to move
not all nursing homes take CHC funding. Chc meets the cost of care & nursing but NOT extras- like chiropody, hairdressing etc

My Mum's Daughter

Feb 8, 2020
TOP UP FEES - no there isnt but the home dont have to keep the person with dementia, they may have to move
not all nursing homes take CHC funding. Chc meets the cost of care & nursing but NOT extras- like chiropody, hairdressing etc
Looking at the cost of these extras, we're talking £15 for chiropody and a further £15 for a cut and blow but these are every 6 weeks so £5 a week. This is reasonable amount and even if someone is funded, it can come out of PEA.

TOP UP FEES as you know, are completely different and have to come from the family. The last quote I had was said in a very blasé way, just £100 a week. To a family with multi children, this may be fine split between then but to an only child that's also an OAP? Well you can forget that!

Rayreadynow

Dec 31, 2023
Appologies, I thought the topic was about TOP-UP FEES not extras like chiropody and hairdressing. But I actually think these so called 'luxury care homes' should not be charging for these services either.

Imogenlily

Jul 27, 2022
Thank you for all replies so far. I just someone either my step-siblings, or the social worker would keep me more in the loop, solely because I want/need to know if they are going to try to push my stepdad back to live with me.
Does anyone know if that's something they can do if the care home can't hold his place while he's in hospital? (I'm puzzled why he's still in hospital if he's mostly recovered and the home said he can have a permanent place).
Although mum's situation (dementia as well) was complicated by her sectioning, it wasn't this drawn out or felt as complicated, plus the social worker for mum actually talked to me. I just hate not knowing and not being updated and just left wondering 'is he coming back' I'd just like some clarity or peace of mind

SherwoodSue

Jun 18, 2022
It would help to know who owns the place where you live? Is it rented ? I don’t believe legally anyone can be forced to have another person live with them and become a forced carer?

If the person wasn’t able to cope on their own, what would happen if the ‘enforced carer’ went on holiday or became unwell themselves ?

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
Assuming you are living in your own house (not your step-dad's house) you cannot be forced to have him living with you.

The process with an SS funded place is that SS offer the care home (say) £700 a week. The care home refuse and say they want £1100 a week. Social worker asks family if they would provide a top up for the difference of £400. (In my case, I said no and the SW immediately accepted my answer.) The case was then sent to the panel to decide if they will fund it at £1100. In my case, panel said yes, all was straightforward.

If the panel refuse, and the care home won't negotiate to a lower price, SS would have to re-start the process with another care home in the hope they can come to an agreement on fees. Obviously this can take some time. Also, it is possible his needs have changed/increased and that has to be taken into account.

As others have said, no one has to provide a top up of any amount.