So bizarre !

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
I see several people are sporting festive additions to their avatars; love the snowflake, Spamar! Slugsta, maybe your snail needs a wreath round an antenna or something.

RedLou, what a fascinating holiday you had. I have a special affection for the cheetahs as I have a friend who once worked in research in that field, and did a stint at a cheetah conservation centre in Botswana, I think. Apparently it's very difficult to convince local farmers not to kill them, as they do prey on livestock. (But not people--even without the impala you likely would not have been their idea of a main course!) I also think it would be fascinating to see the turtles laying their eggs. I know it can be observed on the east coast of the States at certain times of the year (depending on species, I imagine) but I've not had the opportunity.

JM, I've been told often enough about the weather variations in the UK (especially on the travel fora I frequent) that you would think I would know this by now. The BBC had some nice snowy photos this morning. I also saw the headline for the Cornish language predictive text app that Spamar mentioned, but haven't read the article yet.

Ann, I re-read your description of where your course was held and it sounds fascinating and beautiful, but I have to wonder, what was it like for the people who lived there (with no central heating). I know it's all down to temperament and so on, but you wonder about living someplace so isolated.

I also appreciate all the information on Welsh. I'm not a linguist by any means, but I do find languages fascinating and fun. As a child I read a series of books by Susan Cooper (The Dark is Rising series), one of which is set in Wales, and has some Welsh language information in one scene, which utterly entranced me. While I'm all in favour of people being able to communicate with a common language, the relationship between language and culture is complex, and I feel a pang when I read reports about languages dying out. Ann, I'm not surprised that you remembered more of your Welsh than you thought you would as I've heard similar stories.

So I hope Ann has had an uneventful journey home and can now concentrate on festive preparations!

As some of you have seen, I've started my own thread over in the Dealing with Difficult Feelings subforum. I had a rough time after the care home visit last weekend and finally went for the individual thread. You are all more than welcome to drop by, but not required, and I won't abandon your thread, Ann, I promise! I've been too comfortable here for too long. I'll just take some of my own stuff, elsewhere.

I did have a conversation with the care home's nurse manager and they have promised to suspend ordering of the incontinence products for now; we will see! I've also been to the care home twice this week, one not great visit when I wasn't recognized, and one more normal visit when I was, but she is still "off." I am getting her checked out by the neurologist next week. In fact, I should go work on my letter to him right now.

Hope everyone here is as well as can be and much love to you all.

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
What a wonderful trip 2Jays! I would have loved to go on a safari but was always put off because I have a phobia about snakes. Too late now as I could not manage the travelling anyway.

Ann, I hope you had an uneventful journey home and are now safe, snug and warm.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
What a wonderful trip 2Jays! I would have loved to go on a safari

Not on safari... wish we were..

Photo of Christmas display at hotel.... in not hot canaries...

Done safari.... when knee high to grass hopper....

memorable haunting nightmare which still makes my skin freeze....

Hearing hyenas calling/laughing in the dead of night, whilst listening to a scorpion snuggle up in my shoe.... and at breakfast having to run faster than a hippo who, seems to me, could have out run Usain bolt in 2 seconds...

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Ann, hope you're safe and warm, wherever you are!

Shuddering at the thought of scorpions anywhere, let alone my shoes. Eurgh!!!

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Bore Da Pawb - Rhyd'n adref yn ddiogel !

(Good Morning, everyone - I'm home safely!)

Hot waether or not, I hope you are having a good time 2jays - I found the Christmas displays in the shops there felt very strange, given that we were trotting round in shorts and T shirts at the time! Not sure if thats supposed to be a sheep or a goat in the pic, but there were wild Welsh mountain goats on the cliffs around where I stayed this last week - I actually managed to get a few photographs of a magnificent billy, complete with the curved horns and the straggly beard :)

That holiday sounds absolutely amazing Red - a safari is high on my bucket list, just to see those fabulous animals in the wild must be such an experience!

I hope your chat at the care home has got through the message about over-ordering supplies, Amy - apart from an uneccessary cost, it can't be comfortable for your Mum to live amongst piled up boxes!

Last night at the quarry was wild! Weather wise, I mean. The wind continued to howl and at around 4a.m. on the last morning, I was woken by what sounded like someone hammering on the door of the little studio room I was staying in. Now the evening before, one of my workmates - who is 7 months pregnant - had been unwell, and I had said to my boss to come and wake me if there were any problems in the night, so when I heard this hammering, my first thought was that something was wrong, and I was out of the bed and pulling open the door before I was properly awake, I think. Only to get a face full of absolutely huge hail stones, which managed to soak me in the 60 seconds it took for me to realise that it was they that had caused the banging, and to gather my wits enough to actually close the door! Between the continued sound of hail pounding on my door at the front, and window at the back, combined with the wind howling, that was me done as far as sleep was concerned!

By 6a.m., I was getting concerned messages from dau and OH (oddly, the worse the weather, the better the wifi???) telling me that the roads were starting to get bad at home, so I told my boss I was leaving at 11a.m., and no later. She, and the other 3 workmates were heading back to S Wales, where the forecast wasn't too bad, and I think she thought I was being dramatic and over cautious - but I know how bad the roads can get around here, so I stuck to my guns. At 11, off I went - and yep, JM - I came back via the A55, I'd already been told by dau that Bala and the surrounding area was very badly hit by snow, so much as I love that route, I gave it a miss! As I've said, the place I was staying at was an old removated quarry village, halfway down the side of a cliff, and the road in and out was pretty steep and windy - tavelling back up it, in hail and with suicidal sheep leaping about the road, was not an experience I'd like to repeat. Negociating that, plus the rest of the drive would take me about 2 hours, I thought. The mountainous part of the drive wasn't too bad actually - by then snow was falling, the higher peaks were white, but the roads were fairly clear and I made good time till Colwyn, when the snow really started to fall - by St Asaph, traffic was very slow and then a couple of miles later, it came to a standstill. I later found out that there had been an accident at Rhuallt hill and the road was closed. By now the snow was heavy, and the longer we were all stuck there, the worse the roads were getting. Eventually, inched forward enough to get off the A55, and I travelled the next bit via some of the back lanes around the Rhuallt area , before getting back on the A55 where it was clear. Still slow going, due to the snow, but at least I was moving. I finally got home after over 4 hours of travelling - and driving into our village was probably the worst bit in terms of snowy roads!

The snow has fallen overnight, a good few inches - it was snowing heavily when I woke at 5(ish) and has only eased off in the last 20 minutes. More (light) snow is forecast through this morning, and tomorrow, we are forecast heavy snow more or less right through till mid-morning on Monday. I am so glad that it was yesterday and not today that I had to travel! OH is on a long shift today, was very reieved when he text me to say he had got to work safely about 50 minutes ago.

If any of you would like to see more about where I stayed, here's the link - http://nantgwrtheyrn.org/ - absolutely stunning - but take my word for it - NOT the place to visit in December! I have (of course) a lot of photographs, but haven't even uploaded them to my computer yet!

Doing absolutely nothing this weekend, other than finally getting the decorations out and my tree up. I had intended to go Christmas shopping, but that can now wait till next weekend - I am too tired and the weather too bad for shopping to be anything other than a miserable experience at the moment.

If any of you have the white stuff, then please be careful if you have to go out and about. Much love to all of you and if I get any editing done today, I'll pop back with a couple of pictures xxxxx

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Afternoon all,

Ann, I am very glad that you eventually got home safely. Staying away from the shops today sounds wise! The place you stayed looks beautiful in the (sunny) photos but I can well imagine that it would be rather more stark at this time of year.

It is cold here but we usually avoid the worst of the weather so have not seen any snow.

Hubby and I went into Bournemouth today to get him a jacket. He had an emerald green 'sports jacket' type thing that he bought years ago and looked really nice but has finally given up the ghost. It was a really nice option for when he wanted to look smart but not wear a suit, so we went out to try and find a replacement. We got a nice dark blue jacket, not quite navy but not as light as royal blue, that should fit the bill.

Bournemouth was busy but not heaving and we managed OK with me in the wheelchair. The technique is for me to sit and smile sweetly while OH steers a straight line with the chair and leaves oncomers to avoid us. Doesn't work with people in front of us or those engrossed in their phones but it saves a lot of dodging around.

My SIL plays the clarinet in an amateur orchestra and it is their Christmas concert this evening in Wimborne Minster. I am hoping it will get me in the mood for Christmas as it has not happened yet.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Hi
Just been speaking to my friend in Buckley, who said the A55 was blocked in both directions and she was snow covered and wasn’t going anywhere!
No snow here, but very cold. Went shopping this morning and met a friend for coffee, then met another friend, didn’t stop, it was too cold!
We might have some of the white stuff tomorrow - or it might rain. My plan is to stay at home!
Keep warm.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Planning a day a home today. It’s raining, blowing and thoroughly uncomfortable. There’s an amber warning of now, even for us.
My plan is to get showered and dressed and light a fire! Do a few odd jobs and hibernate for the day.
Feel free to join me!

Scouts girl

Jan 18, 2017
I think that will be my plan too Spamar. Was hoping to venture out for a bit of Christmas present shopping but looking out of the window and seeing the pouring rain will stick to plan B and do nothing today.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
4BE7FB2B-EFD5-40C3-A630-BBEDE08B675F.jpeg

Got back last night and just a sprinkle of snow...

Woke this morning....

Can’t get out of our driveway.....

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
Well, I love the snowy picture! We had some this morning, but now it is just raining. We are tucked up by the fire...but we ARE going to a concert at 2.30. Martin can’t quite believe it...just think how cosy it will be when we come home, and sit by the fire, all filled with Christmas music!

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Well, I love the snowy picture! We had some this morning, but now it is just raining. We are tucked up by the fire...but we ARE going to a concert at 2.30. Martin can’t quite believe it...just think how cosy it will be when we come home, and sit by the fire, all filled with Christmas music!

That sounds lovely. I hope you enjoy the concert. We have no snow at all. Very cold but very sunny.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
1J ventured out for milk

His comment when he returned was

“I don’t often do stupid things, but getting the milk was one of them”
:D

Gritters May have been out yesterday, but the roads didn’t look like they had. He was ok going to local shop, struggled to get back up slight incline to our road and slid gently down our Drive :eek:

Snug and warm. Not going out again until packed freezer is empty

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
What a lovely photo, I do love the snow (to look at, at least) and how it frosts the trees and landscape.

We had a tiny bit of snow here, just a dusting, not enough to make it look pretty but enough to make driving cautious.

Ann, I'm so glad you made it home safely and what a time you had on your work course. Hope you are physically not too much the worse for wear; I don't know if driving and/or sitting in the car for long periods exacerbates your pain?

Slugsta, I saw on another thread where you're not feeling terribly festive and, well, it's no wonder. It's hard enough without what you have been through and I just wanted to send a (hug) and some kind thoughts your way.

Spamar, stay safe and warm!

JM, is there cycling in the snow for you this weekend?

Everybody, please, no falling and hurting yourselves!

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
I've just seen a male cardinal outside my kitchen window, hopping about on a tree branch. What could be prettier in winter than the contrast between a bright red bird, and the brown (and slightly snowy) landscape?

Sorry I couldn't get a photo; you will all have to imagine instead.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Amy, waxwings! Although they are pink. They have crests of feathers on their heads which can stand up. We had a flock visit for a few days a few years ago and people stopped to look, some went home to get cameras!

2Jays, I meant to ask you, how did your gig at our local pub go last month? A duo, presumably, called The 2 Jays were playing there!

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Evening all,

Lovely photo 2Js! Like Amy, that is how I prefer to see snow. Hibernating does sound like a very good idea when it is like that :)

Amy, the cardinals look very colourful. We don't get them here although our robins are colourful. As Spamar says, the waxwings are pretty too - but we don't usually get those in this part of the country either! Thank you for your kind thoughts and words. I am going to make an effort to get into the Christmas spirit, the concert and choir events are helping a little.

My SIL's concert yesterday was very good and our choir gig went well today. It was cool last night but warmer, wet and very windy early this morning. The wind has dropped now - and so has the temperature. It is forecast to drop to -3C overnight, which is extreme by our standards. Doubt we will get snow though, even if we do it would be unlikely to stick as the ground is so wet.

I do hope everyone is safe and warm.

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
I think maybe we do get waxwings here, or somewhere I've lived, as the name rings a bell. I will have to find my bird book and take a look.

@2jays , after I posted about the cardinal, I saw two blue jays in the tree outside my kitchen window. I'd put out some stale bits and pieces for the critters and it seemed that the jays quite liked the hazelnuts!

And of course seeing two jays, made me think of you!

I'm happy to say the snow melted off our driveway and pavement, no shovel needed.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Well, it’s been raining, bit of snow, raining, bit of snow. Didn’t go out, apart from recycling rubbish. Now trying not to go to sleep in front of the fire. But have finished putting out one or two ornaments for Christmas. Didn’t succumb to doing the tree! Had to get my cleaner to put a couple of things up, I could reach one of them last year!
She’s now cleaner/carer.
My podiatrist came. Her mother has died, and she’s berating herself for not doing enough! Plus gp, hospital and one of the palliative care centres were - not good. The other palliative care place was excellent, as they were to my friend who died last year. Although her mum had a brain tumour, I mustered my soothing skills and she left, I hope, in a slightly better mood than when she came.

Don’t think we are going to be as cold as most of you tonight. Though I was surprised by some drone shots over the county town, loads more snow than there has been here! Amy, it’s abiut 20 miles away!

Hope everybody is OK.