Advice on dentists for my mum

brightsideoflife

Mar 15, 2023
I wondered if anyone could offer advice about dentists. A week ago, I went to visit my mum. She seemed in discomfort and had her fingers in her mouth - when I looked I saw that the crown had come off the top of one of her teeth . Not only this, but her dentures (upper only) had gone missing - a week on and they still haven't been found and I can't seem to find out what went on- the staff at the home don't reacll what she did with them . I am guessing they may have been wrapped up in one of her many tissues and thrown out but I really don't know. My poor mum is now trying to eat with only her bottom teeth and also an exposed tooth at the side of her mouth- her fingers are constantly in her mouth as she tries to explain to me what's wrong and I'm sure the whole area inside her mouth must be so sore and painful.
I wanted to know what happens if things like dentures go missing while someone is in the care home - who is responsible ? What steps can I take to resolve the issue? I've asked if she can be given food which is softer to eat and partly mashed as eating must be so difficult and painful for her- I don't want this to go on for too long as I am worried she will forget how to chew her food and she was enjoying her meals previously and managing to eat small portions. I can't remember the last time my mum saw a dentist and am pretty sure she now isn't registered with anyone. Any advice on all things teeth and dentists concerning someone with dementia would be much appreciated. It's awful to see her in distress

phill

Aug 8, 2007
I wondered if anyone could offer advice about dentists. A week ago, I went to visit my mum. She seemed in discomfort and had her fingers in her mouth - when I looked I saw that the crown had come off the top of one of her teeth . Not only this, but her dentures (upper only) had gone missing - a week on and they still haven't been found and I can't seem to find out what went on- the staff at the home don't reacll what she did with them . I am guessing they may have been wrapped up in one of her many tissues and thrown out but I really don't know. My poor mum is now trying to eat with only her bottom teeth and also an exposed tooth at the side of her mouth- her fingers are constantly in her mouth as she tries to explain to me what's wrong and I'm sure the whole area inside her mouth must be so sore and painful.
I wanted to know what happens if things like dentures go missing while someone is in the care home - who is responsible ? What steps can I take to resolve the issue? I've asked if she can be given food which is softer to eat and partly mashed as eating must be so difficult and painful for her- I don't want this to go on for too long as I am worried she will forget how to chew her food and she was enjoying her meals previously and managing to eat small portions. I can't remember the last time my mum saw a dentist and am pretty sure she now isn't registered with anyone. Any advice on all things teeth and dentists concerning someone with dementia would be much appreciated. It's awful to see her in distress
The unit manager at my dad’s care home told me it’s surprisingly common for residents with dementia to pocket any unattended dentures they spot - putting them in their pockets or zimmer caddies, taking them elsewhere in the care home and leaving them there, or even trying to wear them. Just as they sometimes pick up and take away unattended spectacles, cardigans etc - it’s because they think they must be theirs. If dentures goes missing, staff are used to being asked to keep an eye out for dentures in people’s bedrooms that don’t belong to them. So if she had taken them out at some point and left them somewhere, and a passing resident had picked them up, it’s not necessarily the home’s “fault”. If they’ve searched for them without success, and you want to arrange for her to be seen by a dentist, ask the home which dentists have been used for/by their other residents with dementia.