Mil Very Near End Of Life ??

woowoo

Jul 20, 2013
Carara - I'm a newbie and have read the posts here

You are truly amazing. Your patience and love overwhelms me.

Your MIL has the perfect daughter in law.

Sending peace and love from cornwall. Xx

Polly1945

Oct 24, 2012
Hereford
Dear Carara and hubby

I really don't know how you are coping - it's dreadful. I have been following your thread and checking in most days.

I really do hope that tonight will be comfortable for your MIL, she has suffered too much.

(Hugs and love)

Pauline

xxx

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
The driver delivers a continuous low dosage, it can take around 4 hours to become fully effective.
If you get any problems after this time contact GP/DN immediately.
They can make up a new cocktail (all drugs are intermiscible ) or simply change the rate of injection of present mix.

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
I am glad she's more settled hopefully you just might get some sleep tonight.

Here's hoping.

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
Hi Carara - glad you now have the support from the doc and nurses and the extra medication that should make your MiL more comfortable.

Can I suggest that you keep an open mind about the extra carer support offered and maybe accept it? Whilst I know you feel you can manage things more easily on your own, it is often a help just to have someone come in for moral support and maybe give a little help at times. Just a thought..

I hope the night is more restful for all of you,

Take care, stay strong, you are doing brilliantly,

Hugs

Celia
x

Carara

May 19, 2013
West Mids,Uk
Hi Everyone & Thankyou for your Kind messages

Mil is now very settled which now seems strange but nice too.
only cried out about 4-5 times since the driver was set up which is fantastic
Also she`s got the duvet over her which is a miracle as she kept kicking it off before...
Nurse been now and said if she cries out during the night the daytime nurses will adjust the driver,she didn`t want to disturb her

Ok now for the next part
Mil`s other son & daughter in law & their 2 yr old grandaughter called tonight (the invisibles)
Daughter in law asked me " Do you think she had Dementia then" :eek:
after looking strangely at her I replied " well if she hadnt Im a man"
Now for the punchline (please remember her hands are very grey/blue she asked " so does she have gangreen then":confused::confused: This was the only conversation about Mil we had :( as daughter in law was playing with child and brother in law chatting about work:rolleyes:
Considering the doctor told me mil would be lucky to last 2-3 days,and this couple have seen her 3 times in 3 1/2 months that tells me they won`t see her again...............they never even said good bye to her:mad:

Thankyou again everyone for your support,we sure need it as family don`t give a damn

x x x x

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
Fantastic that you now have a good system set up to keep your MiL settled. Well done you.
You are a star daughter. Hope I have one like you when I need her.
I think you sound well in control. The district nurses can just add their support to you.
You may find as the morphine kicks in her breathing will change. The midazolam just sends you away with the fairies and you lose track of time.
However she will still hear you so do keep reassuring her just as you have been doing.
Love xx

ellejay

Jan 28, 2011
Essex
When we were where you are with my MIL, the District nurse suggested A Marie Curie nurse so we could get some sleep.

We are very glad we accepted, she was lovely & woke us as she promised so we could be with mum when the time came.

She was very helpful afterwards too. So if you get the offer, do accept.

Lin x

Carara

May 19, 2013
West Mids,Uk
Hi Grannie G
Its sounds silly but since Mil is calmer I feel more relaxed myself which is probably normal

Hi Pied,
Well I hate to say this but today I have lost control :eek:
I couldn`t find a chemist who had the medication in for her (app they had to order it)
Anyway rang doc back on her mobile (cheeky aren`t I :p hahaha she left it for the nurses)and told her I couldnt get it........She rang me back and found a chemist................. all Good
Drove there,found the chemist....big queue... then my turn He made me wait ages :( then before handing me the bag started to explain how to use it :confused:
At this point I was soooo hot & bothered as the nurses were supposed to come at 3.30 and it was 4pm I said very firmly " Look I am not using it,administerating it or selling it,however I am trying to made an old lady comfortable at her end of life,the district nurses will be waiting for this stuff"
Grabbed the bag and legged it through the precinct back to the car :eek:
I looked like I`d stolen a bunch of drugs :D

Got home panicking thinking they`d been and gone and had to wait an hour for them to arrive :confused::confused:

Don`t worry I wont go back to that chemist,,,,,its at the top of a hill
phewwww

x x x

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
Hiya Carara,

I just wanted to tell you to keep your eye on the syringe driver overnight and make sure it doesn't start to run out. Normally there is enough to last a day but on the first use a whole load of medication is needed to get through the tubing from the driver to where it enters the body. So, it can run out a lot quicker than what you are led to believe it will. Not sure if your machine allows you to give a boost too by clicking the machine but that can all add up too. In our case the first 24 hr dose in the machine barely lasted 12 hrs. Don't be afraid to call someone out even if it is during the night to top the thing up!

I hope you find that you all have a peaceful night tonight.

Fiona

Carara

May 19, 2013
West Mids,Uk
Thankyou Fiona

Mil still very calm and Yes the nurse left contact numbers in case we need them during the night

10 breaths then 1 min & 8 sec between breathing :eek::eek::eek:

Just put stopwatch on her :)

x x

Carara

May 19, 2013
West Mids,Uk
Double checked the gap in between breaths as it seems too long but
Her stomach isn`t moving in between the gaps

She seems to be taking very deep breaths :confused:

x x x

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
Carara,

This type of breathing is called Cheyne Stokes Breathing. If you scroll down on the following link it tells you a bit more about it. It may be due to the morphine which can suppress breathing but it can also be an indication that death is imminent. It can be quite scared to witness until you understand what is happening.

http://kokuamau.org/resources/last-stages-life

Hope this helps,

Fiona

Carara

May 19, 2013
West Mids,Uk
Thankyou Fiona

I had read about change in breathing before but it said 45 seconds gap
Mil is over 1 min
I`ll keep checking her :):)

x x x

Mamsgirl

Jun 2, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Hi Carara, hugs from Oz first! Well done getting Mil comfortable. Agree with Fiona about syringe driver, mine ran out within 12 hours of hip replacement and it took a number of hours to get pain under control again when staff realised what had happened. The last thing any of you need now is loss of calm and comfort. Thinking of you, more hugs:), Toni x