In despair!

Rathbone

May 17, 2014
West Sussex
First, on the up side, the green sounds fab. Surely my favourite colour and well done for a "professional" finish.
As for the other stuff, Dear Lord in Heaven how do they get away with it? And doing a MMSE has to be the dimmest demonstration of tick box mentality I have ever heard.
I am so sorry they are giving you the run around. Not that I am advocating you telling any porkies, of course, for goodness sake labour your need for surgery and deliver the biggest blow you can. Not sure how it works across the water, but here it is certainly true that the more and louder fuss you make, the more anxious they are to get rid of you and MAY speed things up to do just that. Honestly it defies any sense.
My love and positive thoughts your way. Love X Shelagh:)

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
When William does take up residence, you can start up a new trade as a painter anddecorator. :D

Please bear in mind that the MMSE might be reading 0/30 because William was being bolshie and refused to answer any questions without written orders!!!:D:D:D:D

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
No, the last mini mental he did at the hospital, which was over a year ago, he only scored 5.

Sent from my C1905 using Talking Point mobile app

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
LadyA, I'm horrified by this saga you're going through, it's so unreasonable and unfair on you and William. It makes me fear for the time when my OH needs to go into care. Do hope they get it sorted out for you quickly. BIG hug.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I need to catch up on your thread but have read the last few posts and you are going through such a hard time, Lady A, I just had to post and say how sorry I am. Your struggle has been going on for so long. Could you just say no, no more, just get it sorted. It's just not fair. It's time 'they' started to listen. Much sympathy.x

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
And William is home from Respite again. Nothing got lost this time - although they couldn't find his nebuliser(!) when we were ready to leave. But I firmly said "Well, you know, he does need his nebuliser at least twice every day - so I can't take him home without it. It has to be here somewhere, it should have been in his room, and we can't go until it's found." It was found in another resident's room - it was being used for her, and the Home's own nebuliser was being used for William. Don't know why. I had only thought as I handed it in when I left him that I had forgotten to put his name on it! :rolleyes: Anyway, we got home safe and sound. I am a little alarmed by how much Ebixa is left. He needed a new bottle going in - there was very little left in the old bottle, and in fact I was worried that there wouldn't be enough until I could get his new prescription filled and deliver it over. I delivered the new bottle on Thursday. Not only did they appear to have enough - there is still some left in the old bottle, and the new bottle hasn't been opened at all!! Anyway - he seems fine, whether he was getting the full dose or not.

This time, he seemed much more settled and happier there. I was told that he seemed to settle in much more - and when he needed something like the toilet, he would just follow one of the staff to get their attention, even one of the female staff. Now that he's home today, he seems very very quiet in himself. And he's coughing a lot - so much so, that I've made an appointment for his GP tomorrow. Sounds quite asthmaticy - and this is the time of year for him to get bad asthma. He's been on the nebuliser twice since he came home this afternoon, but is still coughing.

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Hope William is OK and you don't have so many problems with him settling down at home again. It sounds as though he is very comfortable at that care home. Is that where he will go for fulltime care?

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Talking Point mobile app

Rathbone

May 17, 2014
West Sussex
Pleased to hear William was more settled when away this time and that for now he is quieter at home, although I am sorry to hear his asthma is flaring up. I do so hope this settles quickly for you both. Thinking of you LadyA and hoping those letters drop through the door soonest. How's the painting and varnishing looking? X Shelagh:)

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
What is done looks good. All abandoned now though.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Hope William is OK and you don't have so many problems with him settling down at home again. It sounds as though he is very comfortable at that care home. Is that where he will go for fulltime care?

I hope so. They have no vacancies at the moment, and I've no idea how long it would be until a vacancy would come up. But they have put him at the head of their waiting list.

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
This is so exhausting for you LadyA, waiting for those letters, wishing and hoping they'd come. My thoughts are with you.

Rathbone

May 17, 2014
West Sussex
What is done looks good. All abandoned now though.

Sadly, but you will finish it. Glad the top of the list has been reached at last, which has to be something of a victory for your dogged persistence. Keep smiling as I have no doubt that you will. X:)

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Hm. Have had the second letter, setting out what I have to pay each week toward the nursing home cost. €242. That leaves me with €182 to live on, pay all bills, and keep the car going. Gulp. Lean times ahead! However. ( I told you this would happen!) "no funds are available at the moment. " They will contact me when funds become available " hopefully in approximately eight weeks". Meanwhile William appears to be here in body only! Very very quiet, but coughing and wheezing really badly. We've been to the doctor, and got antibiotics and soluble steroids.

Rathbone

May 17, 2014
West Sussex
Beats me how you can be left with less to live on than you are paying in NH contributions ALL FOUND. Can you appeal - dare I suggest? No surprise they haven't the funds right now.......you'd think there was no forward planning or contingencies involved........you mean there aren't. I'm shocked. If we didn't see the daft side, we'd all jump in the lake. Sorry William is so poorly but glad he is still and quiet (ish) poor man. Let's hope this will allow you some rest of a sort. Loving. X Shelagh:)

Last edited:

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
This is crazy. How is making someone live in penury going to help when they know there is now no option than for William to go into full time care. Did they pay you a generous amount to care for him? I suspect not, so because our loved ones have the misfortune to have this terrible illness and we have spent years caring and suffering with them, they now punish us further by denying us a decent, not extravagant, standard of living. Something wrong somewhere. Don't expect to get rewarded but some minimal recognition surely of what you have done for him and the money you have saved the State.

Am expecting to face this problem soon too so will see if it's any different in England. I don't suppose it will be.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Well, 76 euro of the cost is the percentage of the value of the house. And I could take the loan they offer against the house which would mean I wouldn't have to pay that 76euro until after William dies. Then it would have to be repaid - index linked in line with inflation.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Well, 76 euro of the cost is the percentage of the value of the house. And I could take the loan they offer against the house which would mean I wouldn't have to pay that 76euro until after William dies. Then it would have to be repaid - index linked in line with inflation.

P's. I am hoping not to take the loan against the house!

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
You are not in England/Scotland?

The house shouldn't be taken into consideration or is it where you are?

1/2 a house is worthless.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point