In despair!

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Sounds soooo wrong.

My thoughts for what they are worth

It's wrong to expect you to pay up front. So sorry don't know Irish law.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
It's the way it's done here.

Sent from my C1905 using Talking Point mobile app
Was on my phone in semi-darkness - now on lappie, so can type more! The way they do it here is that they take your combined income and any savings, cash in your current a/c, and any other money you may have - and (wait for this one!) any income or assets you "have deprived yourself of within the last five years" and then halve it. Then they take 80% of that half toward the fees. Then they value all your assets - including your home and any land you may have. They disregard so much of the value of those assets, and then you pay (for a couple) 7.5% per year of the value of the rest of it, for three years. It's an extremely complicated scheme!

Last edited:

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
I do know here that they cannot consider putting a charge on the house while it is the permanent residence of the spouse or other dependant. That only happens if you are living alone when taken into care and can't afford the fees (can any of us long term?) So I don't think they can take a proportion of the value of the property into consideration when allocating funding in England (for the 1st person).
I gather that they will take his state pension and 50 pc of his private pensions, make some contribution themselves and a third party (me) has to pay the balance. Just don't know the exact figures involved but it could be that I will find myself trying to pay his fees, household bills, car, etc, from my meager pensions plus whatever they percentage I am allowed from his private pensions. Same as you. Deep joy. What a future to look forward to when the nightmare is over. I think we must have all done terrible things in a previous life!! We shall have to form a pressure group to bully our governments into helping us. They are so full of tackling dementia at the moment that we should spell out our financial needs to them. Don't have too much hope that they will listen though.
Sent from my GT-N5110 using Talking Point mobile app

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I do know here that they cannot consider putting a charge on the house while it is the permanent residence of the spouse or other dependant. That only happens if you are living alone when taken into care and can't afford the fees (can any of us long term?) So I don't think they can take a proportion of the value of the property into consideration when allocating funding in England (for the 1st person).
I gather that they will take his state pension and 50 pc of his private pensions, make some contribution themselves and a third party (me) has to pay the balance. Just don't know the exact figures involved but it could be that I will find myself trying to pay his fees, household bills, car, etc, from my meager pensions plus whatever they percentage I am allowed from his private pensions. Same as you. Deep joy. What a future to look forward to when the nightmare is over. I think we must have all done terrible things in a previous life!! We shall have to form a pressure group to bully our governments into helping us. They are so full of tackling dementia at the moment that we should spell out our financial needs to them. Don't have too much hope that they will listen though.
Not a hope in you know where! As far as they are concerned here, the house can be used to pay for it. Of course, then when my turn comes, there would be that much less to pay for me! And then there's the property tax to be paid on the house every year - but if I can't pay that then I can "defer" it - and it will mount up, with interest, every year until I die, then they will sell the house, and take the proceeds to pay all that's owed to them. Nice! They obviously haven't seen the fatal flaw - between the nursing home loans and the "deferred" tax plus interest - there wouldn't be enough to pay it all back!!:D:D I am determined not to go those routes if at all possible. I will be doing my grocery shopping with daughter - who is married to an Eastern European, and I tell you, they would show you how to live on nothing!! She goes to the supermarket at night with about 5 euro and goes home with bags full of veg and fruit - and that's what they eat for the week! And they would do without rather than buy full price meat - they even buy reduced meat in Lidl!! I didn't even know Lidl did reduced stuff - but she says they do, but you have to search it out, and they don't reduce it much, only about 30%. They are saving for a place of their own. Fair play to them. I brought her up on my own mostly, and we had nothing to spare - she learned well, and has now perfected the art!!:D

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Perhaps she'd give us all some lessons:D:D
Glad to hear that William had settled in the CH.
So tell me, have you printed up some flyers for your painting and decorating business so that you can meet the fees?:rolleyes::rolleyes:;):D:D:D x.x.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Just out of curiosity....

what's the tax in Ireland for breathing in........

Can you afford to breathe out?

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Just out of curiosity....

what's the tax in Ireland for breathing in........

Can you afford to breathe out?

Don't mention it out loud! So far they haven't thought of that one! What makes people here so angry is the barefaced lies. Property tax was brought in, and the money raised from this tax was to support local services. Until the tax had been collected, whereupon it was simply taken into central funds to pay off the Bondholders, who had speculated so wildly with the Banks, and lost - but were not prepared to take the loss, even though they speculated in unsecured Bonds.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Perhaps she'd give me some lessons please!

Well, I'll be going back to it too! When she was growing up, I used to make a casserole on Sunday, and we'd have that for the first few days of the week. Then I'd make soup from the leftover casserole, and we'd have that for another two or three days, then have eggs or sometimes local fishermen would give me some herring or mackerel. And breakfast was always porridge. Always. Dau won't eat porridge now!

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Don't mention it out loud! So far they haven't thought of that one! What makes people here so angry is the barefaced lies. Property tax was brought in, and the money raised from this tax was to support local services. Until the tax had been collected, whereupon it was simply taken into central funds to pay off the Bondholders, who had speculated so wildly with the Banks, and lost - but were not prepared to take the loss, even though they speculated in unsecured Bonds.

:eek:

[innocent voice]

Can't imagine why you are so bothered, they are only looking after themselves.... How could they know that what they were doing was illegal.... They were only doing what was right for them...

Grrrrrrrrrr :angry: :angry:

Makes me wish I could spit.... Spit a long way... Right into their eyes....

I can't spit..... Its rude....

God bless catholic education eh?

Last edited:

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
My brother lives in Southern Ireland and until recently did not pay council tax or water rates. He did pay to have his rubbish taken away.

My water and council tax bill exceeds £170 per month and I live in a house a quarter of the size of his and a quarter the size the value of his and he paid nothing.

I know that since this last recession the country have now started to implement taxes. I often wondered how Ireland managed to run when they collected so little tax. Obviously looking after dementia sufferers was one of the areas where they made their savings.

Jay

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I'm sorry Lady A. Nothing's fair about dementia is it.
I wish I could think of something helpfulto say as you have to me but there seems little that would be of any use.
Just know I sympathise. x

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
My brother lives in Southern Ireland and until recently did not pay council tax or water rates. He did pay to have his rubbish taken away.

My water and council tax bill exceeds £170 per month and I live in a house a quarter of the size of his and a quarter the size the value of his and he paid nothing.

I know that since this last recession the country have now started to implement taxes. I often wondered how Ireland managed to run when they collected so little tax. Obviously looking after dementia sufferers was one of the areas where they made their savings.

Jay

It isn't that they weren't collecting taxes. They just weren't called taxes. They had lots of ways of collecting things - "charges" "levies" and a high VAT rate on just about everything including electricity, gas, etc. I think what's making people so angry is that ability to pay is not being taken into account - thankfully, I have a private well, so won't have to pay water charges although I do of course have to pay the maintenance costs of the sterilising unit and the pump - if the Water Company want to take over those costs, I'll pay them for the water! But apparently, it was being mooted at one point that people with private wells would also have to pay the water charges - while continuing to pay to maintain their wells themselves! And again, something that hasn't been thought through before bringing in the charge - I haven't heard one word about farmers, for example. If a farm happens to be on public mains, and I know some who are, will they be charged the same rate for water for feeding their animals? Irrigating crops? - I don't think anyone's thought about that. The other issue is the water quality. There are areas in this country where the water supply is, quite literally, not safe for drinking because it's contaminated with cryptosporidium(?) - that awful tummy bug. Towns where people have to buy bottled water. Those people too are going to be charged for their water supply! Of course people are angry about this - bring the supply up to standard first, fix all the leaks that are wasting millions of gallons per year - then talk to people about charging them. And of course, in typical shyster style, this was brought forth as a measure "to encourage people to conserve water." My eye! Once it had been brought in, it was then announced that if people did conserve water, and the Water Company were not making enough profits, they were entitled to raise the price per litre!!:eek: I think what has people here so furious is that all the austerity cutbacks have been aimed at the most vulnurable people - the elderly, the ill & disabled and those already struggling. The wealthy haven't been touched at all, and the gap between the wealthiest and the poorest has widened considerably. This is the kind of thing that was happening in Germany pre-WWII. So, Europe has gone down this road before, and it did not end well.

Last edited:

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Now we are gone from "In Despair" to "In Almost Utter Despair!" Remember I said that when I collected William from Respite, he was quiet, and was coughing a lot, so I was taking him to the doctor and he got antibiotics and steroids? (btw, the "soluble" steroids did not dissolve - I had to grind them to a powder and whisk them in to this drink! When I tried dissolving them, they just sank and sat in little pink lumps at the bottom of the glass! I had to fish them out again and grind them up!:D) Well - he is still ill. He is (skip if you are squeamish!) bringing up a really thick yukky phlegm - in fact it's so bad he is actually choking on it at night. He is up and down like a yo-yo at night - and off he sneaks out of bed, wandering around the house and :eek: will spit this horror stuff out anywhere! And he's still very wheezy - but I'm doing well if I can get him on the nebuliser once or twice a day. The doc said he needs it up to four times a day at the moment. Mr. William won't have it! He is however, gone very weak (except when he is resisting being changed or having his nebuliser!) - almost staggering around, and sleeping a lot of the time, between brief periods of waking. Day and night. He will doze for hours, then be awake for half an hour to an hour, then doze for hours again. His eyes look very sort of dazed and vacant, as if it's a struggle to keep them open, and he's gone a bit unsteady on his feet. Nothing wrong with his appetite though, which I'm taking as a good sign.

I'm absolutely whacked, as by the time I am going to bed, William is getting up again on his first foray of the night. He can get up by himself, but he can't get back to bed again. I left a message at the GP surgery today, so hopefully, his doctor will contact me tomorrow.

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Lady A, so sorry to hear that William is so unwell, do hope you're able to get the ABs and steroids into him and they give him some relief. My OH has lung scarring from sarcoidosis and is constantly getting infections. He has just finished two courses of ABs and a short course of steroids that have really helped, at least for the time being. x

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Lady A, so sorry to hear that William is so unwell, do hope you're able to get the ABs and steroids into him and they give him some relief. My OH has lung scarring from sarcoidosis and is constantly getting infections. He has just finished two courses of ABs and a short course of steroids that have really helped, at least for the time being. x

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point
I did get the antibiotics and steroids into him Jinx - he's had a full course of both. He's maybe not quite as wheezy, but still bad enough. And still coughing and now bringing up this awful phlegm, and still very weak and tired. To be honest, it's the extreme tiredness and weakness that has me more worried than the coughing - although it's alarming to hear him actually choking when he lies down.

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
Appetite is good, thick yucky phlegm bad. Could the Doctor have another look at him? just so you know what's going on in his chest.

I love the way they tell you to mobilise them at certain times of the day, that's fine if you're a visiting carer...why! they might even do it for a stranger...but you, who looks after their every need saying...'Come on now, a little walk will do you good, the doctor said'. will result in nothing but a row.

You are still wading through treacle LadyA, I add my magic strings to the top of your wellies to take a bit of the strain. X

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Oh LadyA I do feel for you x

I haven't had the experiences you are having - the closest I have come are caring for a sick child with measles and a dangerous temperature some years ago, and my husband when he had pneumonia a couple of years back. I'm not sure I could do it as you are doing, for so long......:eek:

I do hope that William gets a bit better soon and that the doctor is able to help.

Sending you very best wishes

Lindy xx

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Lady A I'm so sorry that William is having trouble with his chest; my Husband has Asthma and COPD and it's alright being told by GP's that you need to do such and such to keep the chest clear-it's not that easy for someone with Dementia.

You have my sympathy-none of this is easy is it?

Take care

Lyn T