Hubby going into CH for respite

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Pam you have been a devoted wife but now you must rest. He will survive this and they will find a way to deal with him. The stress on you has been severe. Step back a bit and let things happen as they must.

Thinking of you and praying for you to have a good nights sleep.

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Hello Jinx and everyone, my hubby has not eaten for 3 days, he is still walking around, won't go to bed so no sleep, he is still fully dressed, and carrying his bag and clothes around with him, today refuses Medication, he is drinking, they are waiting for to collapse and just fall asleep for 24hrs, they have never had anyone like my hubby, and they will never have anyone else like him again, he is a one off!!!! He only sits down for 5mins how can a 76yr old carry on like this, if he dies how will l feel devastated!!!! Any suggestions

Hugs from me too pam xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
So sorry you have this worry, Pam. It's so hard for you but try to let the staff deal with this. It may be that he needs to have some mild sedation to calm him. Thinking of you.xxxx

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
It's a horribe situation Pam and I can understand why you're so worrried. I wish I could find something to say whch would make you feel better, it must be so hard.

Sadly I guess this would have happened whenever his first time at the CH was, and there has to be a first - and subsequent times - because it's humanly impossible for you to go on without a break. Hopefully this will be the very worst time and eventually he will settle down. Poor lamb it must be very upsetting for him, but this is the only way you can keep going so that you can still be available for him. Don't forget that carer's health can be seriously compromised by the demands the role puts on them.
I hope you - and he - can get some rest and peace tonight.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
Pam how hard for you, you can't switch off and take the break you need. I hope your husband settles and the home can find a way to give him some peace. Thinking of you both.

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Hope things get a bit easier for you both today Pam. Big hugs.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello pamann

Your posts are heartrending. I can`t say anything to make it better apart from the fact you wouldn`t have put yourselves through this if it wasn`t absolutely necessary.

It doesn`t seem you are benefitting from this respite, you are so worried and I hope eventually your husband settles and you can both feel easier in yourselves.

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Thank you Grannie G no change in my hubby, today is the 5th day, no sleep no food no meds, how long will he go on like this!!!

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
You must feel so helpless Pam. I wish I could find some words but can only send you love and good thoughts and wish you strength at this awful time.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Gigglemore

Oct 18, 2013
British Isles
So sorry the respite is not working out as we all hoped for you. You may be getting a physical break but the constant worry about him must be so draining. Can a good friend or a member of the family go to see him to see if they can settle him for a while or persuade him to eat? Perhaps accompany him for a short walk outside if the "locked doors" are distressing him, with a snack to hand in case he will then sit down and eat??

I would like to think that this demonstration of what an amazing job you do when he is at home with you will lead to extra support for you.

Hoping that you get a more positive update soon, so that you can really relax a bit and take care of yourself.

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Hello everyone, good news today, hubby still no sleep, but he has had a wash and changed his clothes with help from care manager, he had eggs and bacon for breakfast, and took his meds, l am so relived, his cousin did the same thing for one month, then died, so he had 3wks to go☺ feeling so much better, thank you all who replied to my thread. Still not going to bed, maybe tonight!!!!

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Very glad that there is some better news Pam. Hope you both have a better night.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx