hello

suzzane

Nov 4, 2023
hello my name is Suzzane and I am caring for my mom at home who is 91 and has moderate dementia. Initially it was manageable but lately it has proved more difficult being able to convey and talk to her in ways that she is able to process and hopefully “remember”.
We all live together and have 2dogs and a cat. The cat is hers (sort of) but also likes to be part of the family. She has taken to grab the cat sometimes by the tail in order to bring him with her into her sitting room and at bedtime. i can not find anything regarding explaining pet kindness and care so that I can TRY to convey this to her. I am stuck … she does not internalize the information and does not recognize that she is hurting the cat. ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE SO APPRECIATED… I really do not know how to proceed from here AND proceed with some kind of understanding on her part. Thank you 🙏 suzzane

try again

Jun 21, 2018

Your gran will not change her behaviour but the cat will soon start avoiding her. Has you looked at the Hasbro toys?
They are expensive but very good. You can normally buy a used one on eBay for significantly less.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @suzzane and welcome to Dementia Support Forum our friendly and helpful community. I am sorry to hear about your mom. It sounds as though she is now beyond the stage when rational explanations will be either understood or remembered. The challenges for you will only get harder as she continues to decline. I don't know if your circumstances allow but perhaps now is the time to look for professional carers who could help both you and your mom.