Financial abuse towards my grandmother

Willow Mae

Jul 3, 2024
Hi there,

I’ve recently discovered that my father (who is the only LPA on behalf of my grandmother) has been spending her money the past few years - my grandmother went into a care home 2 years ago.

I have found 8 months worth of bank statements from the year she went in and those statements alone equates to a lot of money - none of it to benefit her. Things including fuel, MOT, takeaways, family food shops, cinema etc.

I have just contacted OPG but what is the process to all of this? I fear that I will be the main suspect although it’s anonymous. Any advice or process details would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Welcome to Dementia Support Forum @Willow Mae, and I'm sorry such a difficult situation has brought you here. Do you have the sort of relationship with your father that you could chat to him about it? The things you mentioned all sound quite day to day things though I can see they'll add up. Perhaps your dad doesn't realise that your grandmother's money is for her and you can't pre-empt what will happen after she dies.
It might be a good idea to contact the Support Line and see what they suggest.

This is a very friendly and supportive place and I'm sure others will be along with their suggestions shortly.

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
Hello @Willow Mae , this must have been upsetting to find out. I’m just wondering what you hope to gain by getting involved. Are your main concerns about you grandmothers money or about your dad getting into trouble for doing the wrong thing. I only ask because once you stir up this hornets nest it’s going to be very difficult. Define talk it through with the helpline.
Basically, if the OPG think there is a case to answer, they will investigate and may ask your dad to repay the money he has used that is not directly for your grandmothers benefit. Or as we have seen on here they may do nothing at all. They may also decide to involve social services about financial abuse or the police but again they may not. So please talk it all through so that you know what you are dealing with and what the outcomes maybe.

Willow Mae

Jul 3, 2024
Hello Sarasa,

Unfortunately we have had social services intervene in previous years due to emotional/physical abuse towards my grandmother from my father so this money being taken, I am certain this isn’t by mistake. There are larger payments being deducted. Although my father is the LPA, he isn’t named to receive anything financial when my grandmothers passed - only myself and siblings.

Willow Mae

Jul 3, 2024
Hello @Willow Mae , this must have been upsetting to find out. I’m just wondering what you hope to gain by getting involved. Are your main concerns about you grandmothers money or about your dad getting into trouble for doing the wrong thing. I only ask because once you stir up this hornets nest it’s going to be very difficult. Define talk it through with the helpline.
Basically, if the OPG think there is a case to answer, they will investigate and may ask your dad to repay the money he has used that is not directly for your grandmothers benefit. Or as we have seen on here they may do nothing at all. They may also decide to involve social services about financial abuse or the police but again they may not. So please talk it all through so that you know what you are dealing with and what the outcomes maybe.
Hello,

I’m hoping that my father is help accountable for his actions.

From what I’ve read, because my grandmother went into a care home, she self-funded initially but is now funded by LA so I don’t believe we receive anything inheritance wise (totally fine as this is more principle to us rather than gaining anything financially).

OPG are going to investigate this due to all transactions but even just about MOT’s and fuel alone won’t be in my grandmothers benefit due to my nan not driving for 10+ years and rarely leaves the carehome.

I know for a fact there won’t be any receipts held by my father regarding any of the transactions either.

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
Hello,

I’m hoping that my father is help accountable for his actions.

From what I’ve read, because my grandmother went into a care home, she self-funded initially but is now funded by LA so I don’t believe we receive anything inheritance wise (totally fine as this is more principle to us rather than gaining anything financially).

OPG are going to investigate this due to all transactions but even just about MOT’s and fuel alone won’t be in my grandmothers benefit due to my nan not driving for 10+ years and rarely leaves the carehome.

I know for a fact there won’t be any receipts held by my father regarding any of the transactions either.
Ok well it’s good they are investigating, if they think there has been any deprivation of assets ( ie money spent that could have paid for care because it would have taken your grandmothers savings over the limit) then your dad will quite probe asked to pay it back. Like you say an MOT would not benefit her at all unless he used the care for her transport purposes and it is her car. I hope you get the right outcome for your grandmother.