Hello

Mattwood

Apr 29, 2024
My 91 year old Mum has been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s and obviously I’m devastated. After speaking with the Memory Service we have decided not to tell my Mum the diagnosis but instead we have told her that she has “Memory Problems”.
I hope this is the right move as she has always been terrified of developing this illness and I feel that she would get so upset/stressed that it would make her worse.
She is deteriorating quite quickly as it is with a noticeable difference since Christmas. She is adamant that she is staying in her own home so we have installed indoor and out door cameras, labelled everything that she uses. Locked away spare medication. She has a care package which include a button for her wrist, door alarm, bed alarm, smoke alarm, CO2 alarm. I’m trying to think of everything to keep her safe and happy. I do feel very out of my depth with this and sinking more than swimming most days. Any tips would be most welcome. Thank you

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Not waving but drowning when you're out of your depth, don't worry always someone on here to support you. Welcome to the site. K

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
A warm welcome to Dementia Support Forum @Mattwood. Do you have Lasting Power of Attorney, as if not get that sorted straight away. That will help you help your mother manage her finances etc. I'd also consider starting to introduce carers. Your mum might not need them at the moment, but it'll get her used to other people being around when she does need them. This fact sheet might be useful too.
This is a very friendly and supportive place so I'm sure others will be alomg soon with their ideas and suggestions.

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Hello and welcome from me too @Mattwood to this friendly and supportive forum. There is a wealth of shared experience of dementia to be found here so I am glad you have found us.

I am sorry to read about your Mum. It certainly sounds as though you have thought about and done a lot to ensure your Mum stays as safe and well as she can be. Well done! You have already received sound advice from @Sarasa about LPA and to start thinking about introducing carers. You will know that Alzheimer's is a progressive disease, so now is the best your Mum will be, so having a think about future care needs is a good idea I would say.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
enticottdebbie