Update on my Dad

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Gosh, it's 2 months since I posted on this thread.

My dad is still in the care home and has been very up and down. Uncooperative with the staff, aggressive, lashing out, withdrawn but sometimes charming and laughing.

He had a bad chest infection over Christmas and took to his bed. He is often incontinent and will lie in his bed soaking wet and there is nothing we or the care staff can do about it. He is still a big man, and still very strong at 83. On one occasion when I was trying to take the duvet off he gripped both my hands in his one hand and squeezed so hard I had to stop myself from crying out. (Note to self: take off rings before trying that one again!)

One morning it took my sister and I 2 and a half hours to get him up and changed out of his wet pyjamas. All this time all he could say was 'NO!'. Then the GP arrived and he immediately sat up, put his hand out to shake hands and said 'Good morning doctor'.

He has now finished his antibiotics and is slightly more cooperative, but says very little when we visit, apart from 'yes' and 'no'. We think he is very resentful of where he is but can't put it into words, so marks his protests by staying in bed and refusing to speak.

On Thursday an old school friend who lives in Southport wanted to come and see him. Of course this friend is in his 80's as well, has a disabled wife for whom he had to arrange carers, and my mum warned him that my dad might not know him and may just sit there with his eyes tightly closed. In fact when he walked into the lounge and saw his friend his face broke into a smile and he chatted with him before drifting off to sleep. My mum showed his friend around the home and when they got back my dad was awake again and said 'Now, where have you two been? ;)'

Today he was refusing to get up again. The staff had managed to dress him from the waist down but they and my mum couldn't persuade him to get up so they could dress his top half. When I arrived at 2.30 he was lying on the bare matress wearing only his trousers socks and a vest. He had his dressing gown over him. He was very unresponsive to the extent that I was worried that he might have had a small stroke.

I put the radio on and just sat with him. I asked him if he wanted a drink and he nodded (the first acknowledgment that I was there and talking to him). Eventually I got him into the chair and put his shirt on, and later he agreed to go down to the lounge where he wolfed a sandwich, was chatty, cooperative and the best he's been since Christmas.

At 5 o'clock when I said I was going (my mum had arrived by this time) he said 'but you're coming back?'. I told him I would be back tomorrow and he said 'Oh OK then'. Tomorrow he may be different again!

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Oh Sue, what an emotional rollercoaster for all of you.

I suppose, whatever state you find your dad in when you visit, you have the consolation of knowing that he is not being neglected. Sounds as if the home are really trying.

I know just how strong the sometimes seemingly frail can be.
Sending you love n'hugs.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello Sue:
Its good to see your update. Although your Dad's behaviour is not the same I do see similarities to those of my husband.

'but you're coming back?'.

I get this every time I leave David - he thinks he is in our home and I go off shopping.

How is your Mum coping emotionally with all this?

Love Jan

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Hi Connie, it is a rollercoaster, but easier than when he was at home. We trust the staff to look after him, and they are no longer strangers to us.

How is your Mum coping emotionally with all this?

Hi Jan, she's OK. After this morning she went to watch her hockey team and told her friends she thought this was the beginning of the end, then arrived at the home to find my dad happily munching on his sandwich. It's much harder for her than for us.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Sue

What a graphic description of the mood swings and ups and downs you are experiencing with your dad. I`m sure it`s as difficult for you as it seems to be for him.

It`s sad his aggression and uncooperation are quite so severe. he may be reacting to being in the home, punishing you all for sending him there, but from your previous posts I know he had shown these signs and this behaviour when he was in his own home too.

It doesn`t make it easier for you but it does reassure you, I hope, he is best placed where he is.

roundy

Jan 1, 2009
southport
hi

hi sue,
Small world, am in southport and I was actually born in wigan!! hope your dad is ok. My mum is going in a home this week and I know she will not be great with any part of it,she still won't get her nightie on for the carers.
It is so hard isn't it?
Love Lisa.xx

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Dear Sue

How upsetting for you and your mum to cope with your dad's mood swings. Even more upsetting that he still manages to turn on the charm for other visitors. I doubt if he's deliberately punishing you, I'd reckon he has enough savvy to make the effort for others, with you he doesn't have to!

I'm not surprised he gets aggressive when personal care is attempted, it took John a long time to accept this -- I wouldn't like it either!:eek:

Hopefully, he'll settle down and accept things, but it must be hard in the meantime.

At least you know he's in the right place.

Love,

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hello Sue

It was good to read your update Sue about life now that your dad has moved to a new home.

As I was reading about your dad switching on and off, it made me think of my electronic kitchen scales. They seem to have a life of their own. Sometimes they switch straight on and at other times they either refuse to switch on or they are unreliable with their measurements:eek::confused: It has to be the batteries or the wires to the batteries. I wonder whether something like this is going on in your dad's brain? I also thought that my dad would have loathed his daughters changing him. I don't think he would have minded his sons (even then I don't imagine he'd be too happy) but his daughters - never:eek:

It sounds like you are all doing very well under the circumstances and are all just doing your utmost to cope now that the transition has taken place.

Love and best wishes Sue

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Thank you everyone for your posts.

My mum rang the home at about 10 this morning and my dad was still asleep, so I went over at about 11 to see if I could persuade him to get up, and my dad was already up; in the lounge, dressed and shaved. :)

He was happy and smiling. My mum arrived and then my sister, and we had a nice morning with him - laughing and joking, leaving at 1 to let him have his roast beef lunch.

The snooker was on this afternoon and the staff were going to arrange for him and another resident, who loves his snooker so much the home have bought a small snooker table, to watch it.

There was a really good atmosphere in the home this morning. The manager of the home was on duty and one of the residents said to her 'You used to work in the chippy near us!' :D Everyone was laughing, including the manager - although she claims never to have worked in a chippy in her life...

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Sue

It`s swings and roundabouts isn`t it?

But it makes it so much easier for the family when people like your dad are having a good day. I`m sure you all feel so much better today. I hope it lasts.

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Thanks Sylvia,

Yes a good day. :) After lunch my mum and I took the dog for a walk (no signs of Spring here ... it was flipping freezing) and then she went to see my dad. More of the same, happily watching the snooker.

More days like these please!!!

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hello Sue

What a wonderful day you all had. It was lovely to read Sue and I hope you have many more times like this:)

Love

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello Sue:
Pleased you have had a good day.

I would love to have a good doggie walk again and to have David back watching snooker - those were the days my friend:p:p.

Make the most of it. Love Jan

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Today was my dad's birthday

It was my dad's birthday today. :)

Last week I was telling him his birthday was coming and I asked him how old he thought he would be. 'Err...' 'You'll be 84' 'Get away :eek:'

My mum and I went to the care home at lunchtime. After a meal of sausage and chips, the staff served birthday cake (provided by my mum) and he blew out the 4 candles (not handles for forks :D) and the staff and most of the residents sang Happy Birthday.

All the residents who aren't diabetic had a piece of cake, some had seconds and one asked for thirds!

I called again tonight and the sherry was out in honour of his birthday.

Not an ideal birthday, his first (hopefully of many more) in the home, but it went as well as could be expected.

burfordthecat

Jan 9, 2008
Leicestershire
Hi Sue

Sounds as though your dad's the birthday celebrations went well. I do hope that it is the first of many for your dad in the care home.

Love Burf x x

BTW Fork handles- great - gave me such a smile, crept up on me when I was not looking. Thank you :D

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Sue, glad your dad's birthday went so well. They do make a special effort in the homes to give the residents a good time -- and it sounds as if everyone had a good time!

Love,

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Sue

They say the `firsts` are always the worst, but this `first` doesn`t sound as if it was too bad.
I hope your dad enjoyed it anyway.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
It is good to hear that your Dad's birthday celebration went well.

Has your Dad settled enough to enjoy the day? I hope so.

Love Jan

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
It did seem as if he enjoyed it, although he was a little sleepy tonight.

Presents are tricky. I bought a Glen Miller CD which hopefully they will put on in the lounge instead of Smooth FM :eek:

Lots of pictures, a tryptych photoframe from my sister for his room, and an album of scenes from his life from me.

Recent Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deirdra