Test for dementia

Boutinette

Nov 15, 2023
As I explained in my last post , OH hasn’t been officially diagnosed as having dementia because they say there is a long wait on the nhs for this to happen
Can anyone tell me please how they do diagnose this awful disease?
What tests do they do ?
Thank you

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Boutinette

The diagnosis usually depends on a scan, although my mother saw a neurologist who, because his mother had dementia, recognised it immediately in my mother and made a diagnosis there and then.

I hope you won`t have to wait for too long.

Buntie123

Jan 2, 2023
Wirral
MRI scan and DAT scan. Tw years ago our doctor was reluctant to give us one Said for the over 65. My husband was 65 x

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
@Boutinette , my OH had to wait 9 months for his first memory clinic appointment but once he had that the following tests and scans happened at fortnightly gaps. He had a couple of different cognitive assessments and chats followed by a CT and DAT scans. About three weeks after the last scan we were seen and given the result and meds were discussed.

A memory clinic community nurse visited home about a month later and checked on how we were managing. We were given info on AA and council tax disregard and names of local dementia groups and cafes.
Any further contact with the memory clinic was instigated by our GP. .

yoy

Jun 19, 2022
As with maggie6445 - a few cognitive tests followed by scans for my mum. Followed up by meds discussion and advice on claiming AA and council tax disregard, then discharged back to her GP.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
My husband’s experience was similar to others as noted above.

I wondered if this would be of any help -

PammieA

Jan 17, 2024
My mum had, in February 2 basic memory tests, within 2 weeks with her GP, she passed both with flying colours.
But as she was having 'delusions' (seeing her husband as someone else), she was referred to the Community Mental Heath Team.
The Consultant requested a CT scan of her brain, this showed changes indicating Vascular Dementia.
It was a very quick process for us, only 2 months.
However, I know for some it is a very long process., which is awful.
Just keep pushing for appointments.

Sulliven

Apr 2, 2024
My MIL had one morning of cognitive tests in the memory clinic, a visit by an OT to her home and after 5 months a follow up appointment and being told her diagnosis. Never saw a doctor, the memory clinic nurse dealt with it all but said with the presenting information the doctor stated she did not require a scan and also as MIL refuses medication etc said also no point doing a scan.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
What’s a dat scan please ?
A radioactive chemical injected into the bloodstream, this tracer attaches to dopamine, the position and movement of the dopamine is detected by the gamma rays emitted by the tracer on a gamma camera,

jay6

Jun 25, 2023
After battling to get listened to by GP mine eventually had a test in the surgery where they did clock and questions. Eventually I got an appointment with dementia team. They didn't bother with a CP as the CT he had a couple of years before actually showed it.
So just shows how much notice GP's actually take. You have to really shout!
This might be useful to give a go. ??

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ameads