It's getting to much & we are struggling to cope

Ameads

Jul 2, 2024
My father came to live with us 2 years ago, because we thought it was the best thing for him. We are now thinking we need more help. He sold his house and gave all his money away to family members. If he now has to go into a care home how will if get funded.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hello and welcome from me.
Funding rules vary within the UK (assuming UK) so which country is he covered by (you don't have to say if you don't want to) and its where he is living, just the country, don't need a town, city or postcode or anything.
I am concerned about the "gifted" money, there is a thing called 'Deliberate Deprivation of Assets' you might want to look up, I'll say no more but check it out please. K

Ameads

Jul 2, 2024
Hello and welcome from me.
Funding rules vary within the UK (assuming UK) so which country is he covered by (you don't have to say if you don't want to) and its where he is living, just the country, don't need a town, city or postcode or anything.
I am concerned about the "gifted" money, there is a thing called 'Deliberate Deprivation of Assets' you might want to look up, I'll say no more but check it out please. K
Hello. Thank you. UK west midlands

Helly19682

Feb 26, 2024
Welcome.
If he does not currently have funds for a care home, the Local Authority will ask for a financial assessment. These can go back over a number of years.
If they can see he had a house, and other assets, and he now does not, they may, as Kevinl suggests, start asking about these assets. I am not suggesting any wrong doing here, but the Local Authority may well see his giving away assets or money as a "deprivation of assets" - i.e, it was done to avoid care home fees. For most people this is not the case. Lives change and many people never think they will go into a care home. Probably best to get advice from the helpline here or get information from your Local Authority

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
OK, so English laws/rules apply for funding, rules do vary by the country (rather than county), as Helly says a financial assessment is done and giving away money is...difficult.
Other than to avoid care home fees why would someone do that?
Be careful is all I can say. K

Ameads

Jul 2, 2024
OK, so English laws/rules apply for funding, rules do vary by the country (rather than county), as Helly says a financial assessment is done and giving away money is...difficult.
Other than to avoid care home fees why would someone do that?
Be careful is all I can say. K
Thank you.. much appreciated