Support on the move: Talking Point launches new mobile app

Chrismitch

Jun 23, 2011
Sorry I didn't reply sooner - been busy. There is no problem posting now - the window is now very clear. Thanks!

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm having problems with the app on my iPhone. It was freezing do I deleted it with a view to reinstalling it. The icon still has the wire 'installing' on it but nothing is happening. I can't delete this icon. I can open the app from within the website but I can't reply to posts neither it. I can post a new thread but nit make any replies without first quoting someone so I get a text box.

I'm having a problem replying to posts on my iPad as well!!

Last edited:

KatherineW

Oct 2, 2007
London
Sorry to hear you're having problems Izzy. :(

I'll mention this to our technical consultant.

It would be helpful to know if anyone else is experiencing the same kinds of issues with the app on their iphone / ipad.

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
Still no joy getting app to run on android tablet (has jellybean version of OS) still working fine (and very good, well done :)) on phone so not sure why (that has gingerbread OS as haven't got round to updating yet...)

Celia

KatherineW

Oct 2, 2007
London
Hi Izzy and Celia,

Our tech consultant has made a couple of suggestions in relation to the problems you reported yesterday.

Izzy -

Regarding the iPhone app being stuck during an uninstall: removing the app through iTunes and syncing should fix that.

The app can then be reinstalled, either through iTunes, or from the App Store on the phone directly.

Celia -

Have you tried turning your tablet off completely, to force the app to close, then back on again?

---

Let us know how you both get on.

Best wishes,

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
I’m thrilled to say we are launching a free mobile app for Talking Point today, which will make it easier and quicker to use the forum on the move. (Some of our eagle-eyed members came across the app just ahead of today’s official launch, and I was very happy to see that early feedback has been positive :)).

Talking Point offers a lifeline to people who might not be able to access other Alzheimer’s Society services. Over a fifth of our users visit Talking Point from their mobile and tablet devices, and our new app means it's now even easier to get support and information about dementia – wherever you are.

The Talking Point app is now available on the two most popular mobile operating systems in the UK: iOS and Android.

How do I download and use the app?

If you are an Apple user (iphone or ipad): the iOS app is available at the iTunes App Store here.

If you are an Android user, the Android app is available at the Google Play Store here.

If you are already a member of Talking Point, you can download the app and just log straight in with your usual membership details.

If you're new to Talking Point, you can create your account when you set the app up. Your app details will let you login to the website too.

Any questions?

If you have any questions about the app, please post them below or email talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk. A member of the TP team will come back to you as soon as possible. :)

Hi Katherine I down loaded the app to my Iphone when it first came up ok it works fine but unfortunately people like myself with dementia its not user friendly for instance I’ve had to reply to the thread using the computer maybe it will get easer for me but not at present

cheers Tony

KatherineW

Oct 2, 2007
London
Hi Tony

I'm sorry you're not finding the app easy to use. It's possible that the reply problem you've mentioned is a bug, which we're looking into at the moment.

Thanks for posting and for trying out the app. :)

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi again. I uninstalled the app from my macbook through itunes and I uninstalled it from the ipad. It then synced my iphone and the crashed icon was then gone. I reinstalled it through itunes but I still don't have a text box at the bottom of the screen and if I click on the arrow on the top right hand side the options I get are 'open in Safari', 'copy URL', 'share' or refresh. I thought I did have a reply option through this arrow before - but not now. I'm giving up for a wee while!!

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I've just synced re-installed it to the ipad and I have the option through the arrow on top right to reply. I've now forgotten if that was the only way to reply with ipad or did I have a text box at the bottom? AARRGGH!:eek:

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
I have uninstalled and reinstalled it on my iPad. I got the fish and get to a page with posts on it, no form info. The threads are view only and if I click on thread I can see the posts again it read only, I don't have any buttons etc to click on.

I think I will have to go back to the computer.

KatherineW

Oct 2, 2007
London
Sorry to hear you've been having more problems Izzy, and Onlyme too. :(

The iOS version of the app was updated recently: it could possibly be that the updated version moved the reply mechanism (and others) to a different location. I'm an Android user and am not in the office today but will look into this asap.

KatherineW

Oct 2, 2007
London
Hi all,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you about the reply function: I've only had chance this afternoon to check this on a colleague's iphone.

It looks as though the Reply function has indeed moved since the iOS app was updated last weekend. To reply to a thread using the iOS app you now need to:

1. Click on the arrow in the top right hand corner of the screen

2. A list of options then appears: select 'Reply'.

I hope this helps some of you.

We'll aim to ensure that we're aware of any possible changes to features in future updates so we can keep you informed.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Maybe just coincidence but since I have been using the ap more than computer or logging into web on iphone to access TP I have had a run of spam emails.

I also noticed spam posts on here but can't work out how to report posts when using ap

Or how to preview message before posting a reply when using ap

Back to using web to access TP.

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
I haven't noticed any more spam but I see what you mean about previewing or reporting x

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point mobile app