A difficult week of a new normal

Ann1923

Apr 16, 2024
So. This past week I've seen new symptoms and wondering if others have experienced the same (pretty sure that will be a yes!).
My dad who lives alone at 82 years old has gone 'missing' 3 times in 6 days. He took a bus into the nearest town, lingered a while in the bus station then jumped on a bus to a place that is a) up to 20 miles from his home, b) somewhere he has little or no history with, c) is unable to get home from as I don't think he can read the destinations any more. I've collected him from all 3 places late at night when he's been out for up to 6 hours with nothing to eat or drink.
I'm worried sick about this new development how much at risk he might be.
Does anyone have any advice please? The police are unwilling to get involved as I have an app that tells me where he is and therefore he's my responsibility to pick up. I have the Herbert protocol which made no difference either.
Thank you in advsnce

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Ann1923, I think that when people start wandering like this it is time for them to move into care. I'm not sure if he already has carers coming in, but even if he does the fact they are not there all the time won't keep him safe. This might not be what you want for your dad but there comes a time when needs outweigh wants.
Do you have Power of Attorney and would your dad be self funding as if so you could start looking for suitable homes now. Not all homes are alike and what suits one person won't another.

Ann1923

Apr 16, 2024
Hi @Ann1923, I think that when people start wandering like this it is time for them to move into care. I'm not sure if he already has carers coming in, but even if he does the fact they are not there all the time won't keep him safe. This might not be what you want for your dad but there comes a time when needs outweigh wants.
Do you have Power of Attorney and would your dad be self funding as if so you could start looking for suitable homes now. Not all homes are alike and what suits one person won't another.
Hi and thanks for replying. I think I agree re care. I do have POA and he would be self funding. My worry is that he refuses to go into even respite care....if I managed to get him in to care full time if he still has capacity would they have to allow him home if he demanded it?
I have a call into his key nurse and hoping she can shed some light

Kristo

Apr 10, 2023
I asked Dad’s GP for a referral to Community Mental Health so that they could assess mental capacity. Social care did a care needs assessment and recommended respite, which Dad started a few weeks ago. Social worker came in to do DOLS and Best Interest meeting at the care home. It was all fairly straightforward. Good luck x

Ann1923

Apr 16, 2024
I asked Dad’s GP for a referral to Community Mental Health so that they could assess mental capacity. Social care did a care needs assessment and recommended respite, which Dad started a few weeks ago. Social worker came in to do DOLS and Best Interest meeting at the care home. It was all fairly straightforward. Good luck x
Thank you. He's already under the community mental health team so will def ask about this

2ndAlto

Nov 23, 2012
What a worry for you and it must be very distressing for your father in those situations. I hope you can find a solution that your father will accept or at least tolerate.