So bizarre !

imsoblue

Feb 19, 2018
Opinions of The Dress vary here. I think it was OK, my friend thinks it was terminally dull. I just wonder how they were allowed to marry in church and why it was considered suitable for her to wear white![/QUOTE]

I watched before-the-wedding shows regarding Meghan and Harry. They had a clip of "one of her first red carpet appearances" and she had a boat collar on. I also saw the same style in another one of her outfits so I assume she feels that was perfect for the big day. I think I look good in those necklines also...that is until the wrinkles took over. I never thought about the church and the white. You are so right!!!! I guess I figured all the other rules went out the window, there must not be anymore rules. (Surely none of the guest wore blue jeans though o_O which some do here.)

carolynp

Mar 4, 2018
Carolyn, thanks for the photo :)

Last year we moved from a 3 bedroom house, with loft, garage, shed and 3 big cupboards, to a 2 bedroom flat with no loft, no garage, no shed and only 1 decent cupboard :eek: We had to add extra units in the kitchen and have wardrobes/storage built into both bedrooms.

I kept one file of things from son's schooldays and have 2 boxes of Mum's things - although I do need to cull these still further but don't feel ready yet (she died in November).

I have regretted a couple of things, mainly clothes. I rashly got rid of a black cardigan that I need to replace and I cannot find my blue velvet dress, so assume I must have parted with it. Other than that, I haven't missed anything - other than Mum's address books which were not deliberately dumped but didn't seem to make the move (and resulted in a few people not being informed of her demise) :(

Opinions of The Dress vary here. I think it was OK, my friend thinks it was terminally dull. I just wonder how they were allowed to marry in church and why it was considered suitable for her to wear white!

Hello dear @Slugsta and thanks so much for all you say in answer to my query. It has been a great help. I think I'm a victim of my own conscientiousness in keeping things from my boys' childhoods, birthday cards and - of course! school stuff, as well as drawings - I feel I am the lone archivist and it is wearing me down. So I liked your mention of one file and two boxes! That sounds feasible. In fact I think working backwards, with books also, from the available space, AND THEN seeing what fits and what doesn't, and discarding what doesn't, is the way to go.

Odd about your mother's address books as the same thing happened with my father, my sister snaffled his little contact book, no way nohow could I borrow it back - and so, apart from the death notice I put in the paper, there was no way of writing to everyone, as I had done when Mum died, at that time on Dad's behalf. Luckily I got philosophical about this quite quickly and realised it was one of the (many) things I was simply having to let go of.

So sorry about the blue velvet dress and the black cardigan! Odd the way these ghostly presences from the wardrobe live on, getting more and more beautiful and desirable as time passes - and even odder that one cannot remember parting with them! I have found though that, letting go of my lovely warm smart winter clothes from Italy and Melbourne, while it was ghastly to take them to the charity shop (the cashmere! the alpaca! the camel hair!) - I now, only weeks later, can barely remember them. If the managers had any sense, they'll have got a dealer in; but I can't be worried; and anyway I now find I have only the vaguest recollection of them, despite their wonderfulness.

I'd really, really like to hang on in the house for a time yet, if we can. The packers come on Monday and the front three rooms are empty now except for two armchairs. The painters are not quite in the offing, but they are a bit closer than the horizon now - they are visible, tiny figures in the distance - and are supposed to be coming in ten days "at the latest". Meanwhile, there are a sideboard and a tall crockery cupboard that, now they've gone off with the packers and left lovely empty spaces behind them, I've decided I can do without; I've cut the shelving by one quarter (the handyman is here now, doing the deed) - and the contents of the now not-to-be-returned presses and bookcases can either be fitted elsewhere or will have to join all the top end woollies at the Save the Children Shop.

Re the wedding, I am in the category of those who liked the dress, but especially that glorious veil. That's interesting re marrying in church, I hadn't thought of that - Princess Anne had to remarry in Scotland and even Prince Charles and Camilla could not marry all over again, they had a civil ceremony and a blessing. Do you think with Harry and Meghan it may be because it was the US? Or not an Anglican (Episcopalian I think there) ceremony? Very interesting!

Thanks again for answering, it's been a help and a reassurance as I try to get the benefits of a clearcut from moving house without actually doing so. The handyman has moved into this room now so I have to close. Thanks again, @Slugsta. Carolyn.

Stephypie

Aug 14, 2016
Mils delusions/confabulations are getting more and more extreme - though Thank god, she isn't finding them upsetting and they are not stressing her out at all. But the sheer 'strangeness' and the absolute lack of logic behind them is breathtaking.

Just yesterday, we had her asking when her next exercise session was - you know, the one where she and the dog go to the gym!

We had her frantically looking for the 'Christmas Mobile phone' she had bought - she showed it to me, she said - the red one, that she is allowed to use to phone her brother at Christmas.

Last night she leapt out of her seat to go and 'clean that room'. What room? The one upstairs, where we play ten pin bowling, apparently - oldest daughter caught that one - I walked in to find Mil demanding that daughter accompany her up the stairs so she could SHOW her the bowling alley, and Mil then insisted that I went too. She went in every bed room, bathroom too - even opened the landing cupboard - but wasn't that worried when it couldn't be found.

This morning, she is worried about getting to her job at the theatre on time - the theatre where she wears the blue dress on the stage and there are horses :confused:

Because she isn't upset, then it doesn't worry or upset me, and its not stressful to deal with - but I am seriously puzzled by where on earth these odd ideas come from!

Stephypie

Aug 14, 2016
Hey
My dads very similar. He was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s and vasular dementia two years ago.
Popped in tonight to care for him and he told me that his cats taken a mouse out for dinner, that he saw his friend in the garden as he lives opposite him ( he lives 10 miles away) had to put some clean trousers on as his were wet on the floor and he was sat in his pants with his shoes and no socks on.
A year ago I would have said this was unusual, now it’s a daily occurrence

imsoblue

Feb 19, 2018
Hey
My dads very similar. He was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s and vasular dementia two years ago.
Popped in tonight to care for him and he told me that his cats taken a mouse out for dinner, that he saw his friend in the garden as he lives opposite him ( he lives 10 miles away) had to put some clean trousers on as his were wet on the floor and he was sat in his pants with his shoes and no socks on.
A year ago I would have said this was unusual, now it’s a daily occurrence
@Stephypie, that made me laugh out loud. "a year ago". A year ago today, OH was told that his contract at his job ends tomorrow. I will never know if the office (where he had only worked about 3 years) knew something I didn't know. Was his dementia already creeping into his work? He passed the real estate exam in June of that year so he seemed to have most of his mental capabilities. But "a year ago" he was going into an office as a functional 40 hour a week employee, driving his car and the company truck. I would never have imagined what we have lived through from "a year ago". What will next year bring? After today, I can no longer say "a year ago"....that's long gone.

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
@Stephypie, that made me laugh out loud. "a year ago". A year ago today, OH was told that his contract at his job ends tomorrow. I will never know if the office (where he had only worked about 3 years) knew something I didn't know. Was his dementia already creeping into his work? He passed the real estate exam in June of that year so he seemed to have most of his mental capabilities. But "a year ago" he was going into an office as a functional 40 hour a week employee, driving his car and the company truck. I would never have imagined what we have lived through from "a year ago". What will next year bring? After today, I can no longer say "a year ago"....that's long gone.
That is so poignant. A year ago my OH was able to walk long distances, go into caffs (with me), hold a conversation ... now he can't even stand up. A year isn't a long time, is it. Thank you.

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Morning everyone,

Hiya Stephypie and welcome to TP x It's sad how quickly the bizarre can become normality when you enter the world of dementia. 'Expect the unexpected' takes on a whole new meaning. In the earlier days, I found it so hard to listen to some of Mil's confabulations/delusions without thinking to myself 'How on earth can she possibly believe that really happened?', so much of what she said was so illogical and unlikely and often had no basis in any reality or event that I could work out. It made it very hard at first to respond in a way that wouldn't upset her, because at that stage I am damn sure she could read the incredulity on my face at times. Reading your post, it doesn't sound like your Dad's confabulations or delusions are upsetting him, thankfully (and I hope that's the case all the time for him), but even so, they are wearying and so sad to deal with xxxx

Dust behind bookshelves, Carolyn ? Unless we pull them out for decorating, I don't even think to do that! Does anyone, lol? I can't get over the wonderful blue sky in your picture - how fabulous. And so nice to see other's local 'wildlife' - thank you for sharing x Here, my garden is full of feathered parents trying to satisfy their demanding offspring. There is no way I can count the number of starling young - there seem to be dozens, and they are really noisy wee devils. I have been busy with my camera, and got a couple of nice shots on Monday, which I'll try and remember to tack on the end of this post. We also have a blackbird family - though there only seems to be one offspring with them - and I was thrilled yesterday to see our song thrush with 2 youngsters, first at the feeders where I couldn't get a decent pic, then later at the pond where she led them into the shallow bit for a drink. The robins are feeding fledged young too, I think, but they tend to park their babies in the hedges and shrubs, where its difficult to spot them. So far, no baby blue tits, great tits, sparrows or blackcaps - but lots of adult birds collecting and flying off with food, so I am guessing I will start seeing them soon, when they leave the nest :) Oddly, I haven't seen any of the chaffinches or dunnocks that I usually spot at the table for a couple of weeks now - I have no idea why?

Spamar, I'm with you on the books - I have so, so many! OH made a large 4 shelf built in bookcase in my dining room - its full. I have a bookcase (again full) next to where I sit in the lounge, there is a massive built in bookcase on the landing, shelves in my bedroom and office, and a built in absolutly huge storage space (again on the landing) all full of books. Every now and again I'll cull 50 or so to go to the local charity shop - but the chances are that while dropping them off, I'll find a least a few that I 'have' to buy :)

Slugsta, I am so glad to read that Skycat is doing well - how odd that I was only thinking of her yesterday! Saw next doors cat on the fence - she didn't stay there long, because Seamus shouted at her (as he alwys does) but seeing her made Skycat pop into my head. We are still waiting for biopsy results for Patch - I know son and his GF are really worried, I wish the results would come soon, then at least they would know.

Sending hugs to JM (who I hope is finding the time amidst the mad juggling to get out on her bike in this fabulous weather!), 2 jays, Amy and everyone else xxxx

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
I'm putting the following in a separate post, as its a long winded, gettting it off my chest, self indulgant, trying to get get it straight in my head type post, that eveyone must feel free to ignore!

I had a phone call from one of the nurses at the home yesterday, after I finished work, and ended up having a long discussion with a male nurse that (somehow) I haven't encountered in person yet, though he has been there since January apparently. They had phoned OH in the morning, though he missed the call and hadn't realised. At the point when they phoned OH, it seems Mil was in such a state it was touch and go about having her admitted to a psychiatric ward at the hospital. By the time they got hold of me (neither OH nor I can have our phones on in work, in fact OH is not even allowed to take his phone into work with him!) she had calmed, but concern for her is high at the home. This nurse informed me that a new consultant (yes - again) has taken over Mil's care, and that he had managed to contact her and ask her to please come and see Mil urgently, a few days ago. The new consultant turned up and the nurse told me he was very impressed that she spent over an hour with Mil, then more time again going through Mils notes, medication and talking with the nursing staff at the home.

The nurse told me that the old consultant had started to say that he felt Mil's presentation was now so bad that he thought that there would be no option but to remove Mil to a secure unit in a psychiatric facility. However, this nurse, and it seems the other staff at the CH in general felt that this would have a hugely detrimental effect on Mil - the nurse actually said that she is 'distressed enough now, a unit like that would just make it so much worse for her, it would be like hell for her'.

He then went on to talk about the writhing, twitching, spasms and Mil throwing back her head and yelling - all things that I have told you guys that I've seen a lot of on recent visits. Trying to cut a long story short (the phone call lasted for nearly 40 minutes!) he felt that this quite possibly is all down to medication induced psychosis - and the new consultant agrees, very strongly. I'm still trying at this point to get straight in my own head all the info he gave me, but basically he explained the previous combinations of anti-psychotic medication have impacted on all her medications, and produced a thing he referred to as 'something or other' psychosis (it began with a T, I think, but for the life of me I can't remember the actual word he used). Anyway, its typified by the sort of behaviour and symptoms that Mil is displaying , though he told me he had mainly seen this in long term psychiatric patients who had been over medicated, not dementia patients. It's something to do with not only the issues caused by the cocktail of anti-psychotic drugs prescribed by all the different consultants, but also the impact of those meds when combined with medication for other physical illnesses. The spasms, the going rigid and throwing back her head, the increased tremors in her hands, the writhing in her seat, the harsh yelling, the loss of speech at times, the periods of her frantically banging and screaming at doors and windows (which have got much, much worse and far more frequent over the last 3 months), the gouging and scratching at her own arms, the pulling at her own hair, the increase in these periods of extreme agitation, the increase in physical violence and even the almost 'compulsive' trying to throw herself to the floor from her seat. He told me that if he and the consultant were right about this, then this condition also causes actual physical pain, which exaccerbates all the other symptoms.

He said that the new consultant had agreed that a secure unit would be the worst thing possible for Mil - that it would be more about her being put somewhere to control her, rather than treat and alleviate her condition. That was scary and really upsetting to hear. He said that Mil wasn't due another review for 2 months, but if it was OK with us, to get round that, they were calling a best interest meeting, it will be in about 3 weeks time, where they ( as in consultant and CH nurses) were going to propose what he called a complete 'strip' - basically stopping ALL Mils meds, apart from the maintenance antibiotics (this nurse had actually spent time charting the number of UTI's and other infections Mil has had, both during the time Mil was on AB's and the times when the GP had stopped them, and said there was clear evidence that Mil is one one of the very few people that actually benefit from them) . I asked did he mean the meds for angina, copd, diabetes, etc. And yes - them as well. Because he said, that as well as the medication for psychosis having been over prescribed, since she had been in the hospital, meds for her physical conditions have also been increased (and no - we haven't been told this before) and that for example she was now on 3 different medications for the angina alone, and that wasn't the only example. He said that he and the consultant had been over Mils medication history and notes with a 'fine tooth comb' and that they could find no reason or justification for why she was on so many pills and tablets that they are having to be given in two sittings each time! Again, this is something else we were not previously aware of. He said that the 'excessive' amount of medication is pretty damn likely to be contributing to the psychosis already caused by the 'excessive' anti-psychotic drug cocktail that previous consultants have prescribed. That stopping them all - if he and the consultant are right about this - could massively alleviate the symptoms for Mil, and give her some peace. That there was just one medication that could be given if all others are stopped, that would alleviate the symptoms even more.
Of course, doing this carries possible serious implications for Mil in terms of the potential for deterioration in her physical health. But, it comes down to her living for longer with all the misery she has now and perhaps being transferred to a secure psychiatric facility for the whats left of her life, or the possibility of her not living so long, but having some peace and maybe even quality of life. After the angst of having to consider haliperidol (sp?) it was a no brainer for me, and OH absolutely agrees - we feel that the second option is the right one to take.
I have a hundred questions to ask, and a lot of things that I want to make sure that I have absolutely straight in my head before the best interest meeting - despite the length of this post, what I've written is only a fraction of some of the things this nurse told me, and my head is reeling with info. There were things about the GP that I need to clarify and possibly chase up, and some other suggestions he made, and things he said that I also need to get clear. So, I'm going to see Mil today and then ask if a meeting with this nurse, and the senior nurse can be arranged, and make sure that I have all the facts right. Meanwhile, awake from 2a.m. this morning, letting the GM have his say, because I should have kicked up more of a fuss than I did about the the different consultants and the cocktail of drugs they gave her at the time - I let myself be swayed by their assurances and justification for the prescriptions, despite my concerns, and I really shouldn't have done. It may not have been deliberate, but I let her down through ignorance - and thats going to take some time for me to come to terms with :(

Sending much love to you all xxxxx

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Oh, Ann, what a to-do!
Please don’t blame yourself! One always assumes that a consultant should know best, when, in reality, they are as short sighted and blinkered as the rest of us! You have kicked up, several times, you have done absolutely nothing to blame yourself. just thank goodness for this nurse who had the foresight or interest to chase up mils meds.
(((((Hugs))))))

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Phew!!! What a lot for you to take in

First things first......

KICK THAT GM VERY HARD. You have absolutely nothing, NOTHING to feel guilty about

Shocking to have all that info given to you, but just think, it’s possibly because you ARE constantly on the ball with MIL and her care, that they have done this, I don’t know what to call it.... review I guess, that the way forward is hopefully going to eventually give mil some sort of peace.

Could go on for ever with my opinions, but I have absolutely no experience of your world with dementia,

My final thought is.... it’s goid to read that they seem to be really trying to help mil, and despite the earlier coc.... errors in medications they seem to be trying to get that right. So a positive in such a negative time

Huge. HUGE squishy hugs

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Oh, Ann, what a to-do!
Please don’t blame yourself! One always assumes that a consultant should know best, when, in reality, they are as short sighted and blinkered as the rest of us! You have kicked up, several times, you have done absolutely nothing to blame yourself. just thank goodness for this nurse who had the foresight or interest to chase up mils meds.
(((((Hugs))))))

I absolutely agree with this. You have fought tooth and nail with the "experts" over the years about which meds your MIL should or should not have been given. We all live in hope that the medical people know what they're doing, although it seems like trial and error most of the time.

You have nothing to berate yourself with.

I hope your MIL can find some peace.

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Morning all,

Ann, how terribly upsetting to believe that MIL's distressing symptoms might be down to over-medication! :( Maybe she, finally, has a consultant who is willing to look at her as an individual (a human being with a past) and work to get her as well as possible, rather than just adding in more and more drugs.

I really understand why the GM attacked you over night but I think you are being too hard on yourself. You have no medical background and it is entirely likely that you could never have known about this, even if you had spent days/weeks/months researching each change of meds. It seems this situation is so unusual that no previous nurse, consultant or pharmacist has picked up on it, so the chances of you doing so are so small as to be considered impossible (((hugs)))

I have my scan this morning - the worst bit at the moment is that I have an empty tummy, so clear fluids now until the scan is over (booked for 10.30).

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Ann - so sorry to read what has happened, you have continually kicked up a fuss, it isn't your fault

You have questioned consultants and GPs decisions far more than many would

Edited to add: Slugsta - hope your scan goes OK, I would be non stop thinking of my first morsel of food by now

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I would like to add my voice that no-one could have done more for your MIL than you have. You are not medically trained and have never even heard of what the consultant thinks she might have.

I really like the sound of this new consultant. It seems to me that he is now doing what you had hoped that the doctors would have done when she was admitted (last year?) - stripping out all of her medication and starting again
Really praying and hoping that something can be done to bring her relief.

Good luck with the scan slugsta

carolynp

Mar 4, 2018
I'm putting the following in a separate post, as its a long winded, gettting it off my chest, self indulgant, trying to get get it straight in my head type post, that eveyone must feel free to ignore!

I had a phone call from one of the nurses at the home yesterday, after I finished work, and ended up having a long discussion with a male nurse that (somehow) I haven't encountered in person yet, though he has been there since January apparently. They had phoned OH in the morning, though he missed the call and hadn't realised. At the point when they phoned OH, it seems Mil was in such a state it was touch and go about having her admitted to a psychiatric ward at the hospital. By the time they got hold of me (neither OH nor I can have our phones on in work, in fact OH is not even allowed to take his phone into work with him!) she had calmed, but concern for her is high at the home. This nurse informed me that a new consultant (yes - again) has taken over Mil's care, and that he had managed to contact her and ask her to please come and see Mil urgently, a few days ago. The new consultant turned up and the nurse told me he was very impressed that she spent over an hour with Mil, then more time again going through Mils notes, medication and talking with the nursing staff at the home.

The nurse told me that the old consultant had started to say that he felt Mil's presentation was now so bad that he thought that there would be no option but to remove Mil to a secure unit in a psychiatric facility. However, this nurse, and it seems the other staff at the CH in general felt that this would have a hugely detrimental effect on Mil - the nurse actually said that she is 'distressed enough now, a unit like that would just make it so much worse for her, it would be like hell for her'.

He then went on to talk about the writhing, twitching, spasms and Mil throwing back her head and yelling - all things that I have told you guys that I've seen a lot of on recent visits. Trying to cut a long story short (the phone call lasted for nearly 40 minutes!) he felt that this quite possibly is all down to medication induced psychosis - and the new consultant agrees, very strongly. I'm still trying at this point to get straight in my own head all the info he gave me, but basically he explained the previous combinations of anti-psychotic medication have impacted on all her medications, and produced a thing he referred to as 'something or other' psychosis (it began with a T, I think, but for the life of me I can't remember the actual word he used). Anyway, its typified by the sort of behaviour and symptoms that Mil is displaying , though he told me he had mainly seen this in long term psychiatric patients who had been over medicated, not dementia patients. It's something to do with not only the issues caused by the cocktail of anti-psychotic drugs prescribed by all the different consultants, but also the impact of those meds when combined with medication for other physical illnesses. The spasms, the going rigid and throwing back her head, the increased tremors in her hands, the writhing in her seat, the harsh yelling, the loss of speech at times, the periods of her frantically banging and screaming at doors and windows (which have got much, much worse and far more frequent over the last 3 months), the gouging and scratching at her own arms, the pulling at her own hair, the increase in these periods of extreme agitation, the increase in physical violence and even the almost 'compulsive' trying to throw herself to the floor from her seat. He told me that if he and the consultant were right about this, then this condition also causes actual physical pain, which exaccerbates all the other symptoms.

He said that the new consultant had agreed that a secure unit would be the worst thing possible for Mil - that it would be more about her being put somewhere to control her, rather than treat and alleviate her condition. That was scary and really upsetting to hear. He said that Mil wasn't due another review for 2 months, but if it was OK with us, to get round that, they were calling a best interest meeting, it will be in about 3 weeks time, where they ( as in consultant and CH nurses) were going to propose what he called a complete 'strip' - basically stopping ALL Mils meds, apart from the maintenance antibiotics (this nurse had actually spent time charting the number of UTI's and other infections Mil has had, both during the time Mil was on AB's and the times when the GP had stopped them, and said there was clear evidence that Mil is one one of the very few people that actually benefit from them) . I asked did he mean the meds for angina, copd, diabetes, etc. And yes - them as well. Because he said, that as well as the medication for psychosis having been over prescribed, since she had been in the hospital, meds for her physical conditions have also been increased (and no - we haven't been told this before) and that for example she was now on 3 different medications for the angina alone, and that wasn't the only example. He said that he and the consultant had been over Mils medication history and notes with a 'fine tooth comb' and that they could find no reason or justification for why she was on so many pills and tablets that they are having to be given in two sittings each time! Again, this is something else we were not previously aware of. He said that the 'excessive' amount of medication is pretty damn likely to be contributing to the psychosis already caused by the 'excessive' anti-psychotic drug cocktail that previous consultants have prescribed. That stopping them all - if he and the consultant are right about this - could massively alleviate the symptoms for Mil, and give her some peace. That there was just one medication that could be given if all others are stopped, that would alleviate the symptoms even more.
Of course, doing this carries possible serious implications for Mil in terms of the potential for deterioration in her physical health. But, it comes down to her living for longer with all the misery she has now and perhaps being transferred to a secure psychiatric facility for the whats left of her life, or the possibility of her not living so long, but having some peace and maybe even quality of life. After the angst of having to consider haliperidol (sp?) it was a no brainer for me, and OH absolutely agrees - we feel that the second option is the right one to take.
I have a hundred questions to ask, and a lot of things that I want to make sure that I have absolutely straight in my head before the best interest meeting - despite the length of this post, what I've written is only a fraction of some of the things this nurse told me, and my head is reeling with info. There were things about the GP that I need to clarify and possibly chase up, and some other suggestions he made, and things he said that I also need to get clear. So, I'm going to see Mil today and then ask if a meeting with this nurse, and the senior nurse can be arranged, and make sure that I have all the facts right. Meanwhile, awake from 2a.m. this morning, letting the GM have his say, because I should have kicked up more of a fuss than I did about the the different consultants and the cocktail of drugs they gave her at the time - I let myself be swayed by their assurances and justification for the prescriptions, despite my concerns, and I really shouldn't have done. It may not have been deliberate, but I let her down through ignorance - and thats going to take some time for me to come to terms with :(

Sending much love to you all xxxxx

Oh Ann, oh Ann, how absolutely awful all this is. But blessings are to be showered upon the consultants and staff who are involving themselves so fully and so - may I say this? - lovingly, in your MILs care. I am hoping, hoping, hoping you can stare down this nonsensical clown of a Guilt Monster, who should really NOT be daring to disturb your thoughts at all, let alone your sleep.

I agree with everyone who has already responded and they've all put it much better than I could. Really I just want say I fully understand that your mind must be completely in turmoil. But it is wonderful news that the consultants and staff are paying so much attention to your mother as an individual, and to her plight.

Please try not to worry about getting your head around all this any more than you have - amazingly! - succeeded in doing already, in being able to write such a clear and coherent post! What I counsel you to do is to let them do as they plan, and to keep your fingers crossed (as we will all be doing). Take many, many deep breaths. Simply put, your task now is for you and your OH to go on being present for your MIL as daughter-in-law and as son.

What you have said in your post is enough. You have enough clarity. No one could be doing more than you have done and are doing. Breathe. Breathe. When you get agitated and have that feeling of needing to get more on top of all this, just re-read your own post, and take a moment to be lost in self-admiration, as we are all lost in admiration of you.