So bizarre !

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
They gave us i Pads a couple of weeks ago, in work - double the size of my kindle, Spamar, feels very cumbersome and because of that, I don't think I would enjoy reading with it either - its not a good size to hold and read. The kindle is - and with this new one, when I turn the pages in what I'm reading, it has a 'page curl' effect that is really satisfying! I love new books as well as old, I admit - but I think the price these days can be absolutely ridiculous! I rarely go to the 'WH' shop these days, if I buy new it tends to be from supermarkets, where the books are often half the price. And as I said, on the Kindle, they are even cheaper - when you read as much as I do, thats a big consideration, lol!

Hope you enjoy your coffee out, if that's what you decide to do xxxx

Edited to add - I've just come across this pic of Mil, taken exactly 1 year ago - she pinched OH's sunglasses and put them on. Looking at this and the pics taken just yesterday, I can see such a difference, that its really shocked me!

7th May 2017.jpg

Last edited:

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Great news to hear that mil is seemingly much more calmer. I so hope for her sake that it continues

Yeah. Looking a pictures can be a bit of a thump in the belly of emotions..... especially when you know things have changed, but don’t see the change if you know what I mean. Squishy hugs xxxx

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Gosh, what a shock! But a good photo. Hate to say it, but even my ecology books are in kindle! Just checked! I’ll maybe borrow somebody’s and try.
I/ we used to read a lot, library every week! And the librarians were very good with OH. He went on to short stories when he couldn’t hold the thread of a full length book, then to poetry. We do have quite a lot of poetry book, but the library found even more. Then, of course, he couldn’t read!
I do miss my reading, I must admit! My eyes give out towards the evening. Age!
My knee packed up, now have to decide if it’s fit to drive! Another hour before I can take painkillers!
S

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Afternoon all,

Ann, I'm glad that you had a good visit to MIL. It's great to know that she has been free of meltdowns for a couple of days. I know it is hard to simply enjoy the good days when they arrive, I really hope this improvement lasts.

The photos really do show the difference don't they? MIL looks to have aged 10 years in 12 months :( I remember looking at Mum on her 91st birthday and comparing her with the photo we took at her party the previous year. It was hard to recognise her as the same person :(

I am glad you are feeling some benefit from the pool sessions. TBH, I don't think my aquagym helps physically but it does make a huge difference mentally.

Jm, having to deal with your mum and teenage stops must be particularly hard (((hugs)))

Spamar, I resisted a kindle for a long time but have now appropriated OH's as I find holding a book hurts my wrists/thumbs. I don't read anything like as much as I used to (cos I spend so much tome online) but I would be really lost without the kindle now. I hope you find some way to enjoy your reading.

Awww, Red, that must have been such a hardship for you :D

It has been a lovely weekend here. I had a very quiet day yesterday and am now looking forward to OH coming back (can't remember whether he is playing bridge or bowls this morning! :oops:) and we will go out for a drive and an ice-cream :)

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Been for a coffee. Bit long winded as they were very busy when I went in, then I had a lot of chatting to do!
But nice extra hot coffee and bacon bap! That’s early lunch.
JM, was looking everywhere for today’s Giro, then realised it was a rest day. How can they have a rest day on day 4 of a three week race?
It’s been all cycling with the TdY as well.

Ann, I will try and borrow someone’s kindle, promise! You and Slusta are making sense.

I am gradually going off the idea of moving, but doing the present place up a little, new bed for instance. How often should one have a new bed? I’m not telling you how old mine is!
So a kindle wouldn’t make any noticeable difference to the amount I’m expecting to spend in the next 12 months. It’ll still be cheaper than moving anywhere, not least Cornwall.

Still brilliant sunshine and pretty warm. I’ve just brought my woolly hat and gloves in from the car! Hopefully replace them with white hat!

DeMartin

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
Been for a coffee. Bit long winded as they were very busy when I went in, then I had a lot of chatting to do!
But nice extra hot coffee and bacon bap! That’s early lunch.
JM, was looking everywhere for today’s Giro, then realised it was a rest day. How can they have a rest day on day 4 of a three week race?
It’s been all cycling with the TdY as well.

Ann, I will try and borrow someone’s kindle, promise! You and Slusta are making sense.

I am gradually going off the idea of moving, but doing the present place up a little, new bed for instance. How often should one have a new bed? I’m not telling you how old mine is!
So a kindle wouldn’t make any noticeable difference to the amount I’m expecting to spend in the next 12 months. It’ll still be cheaper than moving anywhere, not least Cornwall.

Still brilliant sunshine and pretty warm. I’ve just brought my woolly hat and gloves in from the car! Hopefully replace them with white hat!
Just a note on ereaders. I use a mini iPad (used to have a Samsung) kindle and kobo loaded (I used to have a nook and kobo inherited their customers)
Full internet access and I believe I can download from public library . Plus a few solitaire and mahjong games.

RedLou

Jul 30, 2014
Ann - those are lovely pix. Even though OH may be feeling raw, the pleasure she got in your visit is obvious.
Slugsta/Spamar - my daughter keeps recommending audio books to me - she is also a great reader but loves audio books for when she's cooking etc. May be something worth considering alongside the e-reader. I use an iPad for my portable books - mainly for holiday - I get fed up looking at screens. One of the students' big objections to the plans of the Vice Chancellor (just resigned) of the Open University was a threat to take all our study materials 'on line'. Hope they don't keep trying to push that through. I may just take my credits elsewhere if they do.
Baking heat here near Cambridge. Dog (yes, was lurking in the photo) keeps coming indoors. Hope you enjoyed the ice cream, Slugsta!

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Didn't get any ice-cream :( The place we went to was packed with a huge queue so we didn't stop. Eventually ended up back in Wimborne for drink and cake, so can't complain.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Thanks, Slugsta and Red. I plan to ask my neighbour to bring hers in tomorrow and see what she thinks. Hot here, though I’m sitting indoors with a thick cardi on! As there’s no wind, I could have gone outside this afternoon. Living room faces north, not good for heating by the sun. It’s the one drawback with this place.

Yes, I’ve been reading with concern all the latest re the OU. OHs degree is an OU degree and, under the ‘ if you can’t beat them, join them’ maxim I started as well. Got half way when I went to UEA full time, I think it was the OU studying that got me there. Plus OHs encouragement!

Slugsta, I try and get to Dorset once a year ( on the way to Cornwall), mainly to see an elderly lady who is in a home in Sturminster Newton. Though I usually stay in Marnhull. Ice cream / coffee sometime?

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Thanks, Slugsta and Red. I plan to ask my neighbour to bring hers in tomorrow and see what she thinks. Hot here, though I’m sitting indoors with a thick cardi on! As there’s no wind, I could have gone outside this afternoon. Living room faces north, not good for heating by the sun. It’s the one drawback with this place.

Yes, I’ve been reading with concern all the latest re the OU. OHs degree is an OU degree and, under the ‘ if you can’t beat them, join them’ maxim I started as well. Got half way when I went to UEA full time, I think it was the OU studying that got me there. Plus OHs encouragement!

Slugsta, I try and get to Dorset once a year ( on the way to Cornwall), mainly to see an elderly lady who is in a home in Sturminster Newton. Though I usually stay in Marnhull. Ice cream / coffee sometime?

That would be lovely :)

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Hi 2Jays, hows it going?
We did, in our time, stay at several places around there. First was the Spread Eagle at Stourhead. Slept in most of the bedrooms there, then brought the dog with us, so used hotel/ pub in the middle of Mere, whose name now eludes me. OH said it was the same pub that he stayed in when he cycled from London, where he lived then, to Looe. I’m guessing he was 17/18! Then Marnhull, a B&B where they took dogs. Still go there. Her husband had had a big stroke, so she understood OH, which was handy!
How times change, no dog, no hubby.
The lady I see used to work for my fil. She’s now 104!
When I saw her last September, she knew who I was, knew all the family and seemed pretty OK. Though she took a lot of convincing that the photos I took were really her!

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
I’m doing ok. Taken a while to find my “get up and do” or any words of support for people. I do read/lurk but am sadly lacking of words of support xxxxx

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Morning everyone,

I’m doing ok. Taken a while to find my “get up and do” or any words of support for people. I do read/lurk but am sadly lacking of words of support xxxxx

Awwww 2jays - have some big 'squishy' hugs from me too xxx You and poor Spamar have certainly been through the mill lately, you poor things xxx

I hadn't realised how much Mil had changed, Slugsta, until I compared the two photographs, taken almost exactly 1 year apart. I knew she was getting frailer in looks, and of course, the fact that she won't wear dentures now has an impact - but even so, the difference set me back on my heels. It dosn't even look like the same lady. I still take a lot of pics of Mil, which I share with the Irish family - they ask after her all the time, and they appreciate being kept 'up to date' (though they don't know the full extent of the behaviours, they can't do anything and I see no point in distressing them) - so you would think that the change in her wouldn't have been such a shock to me, wouldn't you?

Red, I've tried a couple of audio books - but they don't work for me! While I can bury myself in a book I'm reading, with audio versions, my mind wanders and I am easily distracted and I keep missing bits.

Work is manic again at the moment, won't blather on about details, but the pressures to do more and more are not easing, and I am seriously considering looking elsewhere. I don't want to, I absolutely love the 'real' part of my job, but being increasingly required to spend large chunks of my working week away from home on meetings/other events, or devote time to projets that don't actually involve me meeting my targets or add anything to my outcomes, and yet still being expected to do my 'actual' work, is having an impact. The last 'away' jaunt meant 36 hours spent away from home , and yet I still worked another 20 plus hours that week, just keeping up (and not as successfully as I wanted or needed to, at that) - and it is impossible to get all this time back. I think when you enjoy what you do, a few extra hours here and there is something that most would be OK with - and I am - but when instances of you finding yourself struggling to keep up, despite having 'been in work' for over double your normal hours, seem to be increasing, it's a whole other ball game. I haven't actively been looking just yet, but a couple of people I have been working with and know, sent info to me about a post that is very appealing, and so I applied and have had an invitation to interview. And I think if I am successful, I will accept. Not banking on it, won't be gutted if I don't get it , but it's an opportunity that I think I would have been silly not to at least try for.

After 3 gorgeous days, we got rain and cooler temps again by yesterday afternoon, and more rain and cooler weather forecast for the next week too - thought it was too good to last!

Good news is that I think the swimming is helping! I've had a couple of bad nights, sleep wise - but I have also had 2 or 3 really good nights for me, and last night, when I went, I managed 14 lengths of the pool - and didn't ache that much afterwards! OK - not proper swimming, due to the shoulder pain the best I can manage is a glorified sort of doggy paddle, but even so - when I first started a few weeks ago, just 8 lengths left me really sore, so there is an improvement.

Right - time to crack on. The interview is tomorrow, so I have prep for that, plus my usual work today. Take care, and much love to all xxxxx

RedLou

Jul 30, 2014
Good luck for tomorrow, Ann. Glad you are going for it. There was a piece in The Guardian (iirc) about employers who are exploiting their workforce by requiring loads of extra work when they know their employees will never be able to claim their time off in lieu. Immediately my mind flew to you.