So bizarre !

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Morning all,

JM - I hope you had a fab birthday, yesterday - I did intend to log on and send wishes yesterday, but I was slammed with work and just didn't get the chance! I hope you got your tandem ride, and that you enjoyed it xxxxx

No chance of 'looking at the sky' yesterday for me, Slugsta! I do know that it was really cold here yesterday, and I 'boosted' the heating a couple of times, though. And yes - you have summed it up brilliantly, about Mil and her room. She doesn't look 'cared for', sitting in that bleak space - and I don't like it :(

Spamar, so glad to read that you feel you are geting back to 'normal', at long last - its been a long road for you xxxxx

Yup - it only took several weeks and Lord knows how many 'conversations', requests and demands, but it does seem the cushions are finally being used now. Which is just as well, beause coping with that, and the meds situation at the same time would have had me tearing my hair out!

I got through to the GP surgery at just after 9a.m., on Monday, and was told that Dr R wouldn't be in till 10, and they would ask him to ring me by 10.30. He didn't. At just before 11, I finally got through again, and was told he had been given the message and would ring 'soon' - but it was going on for 12 before he got back to me. I started off the conversation very politely, but firmly, fully expecting disagreement, but . . . he was a pussy cat! "Yes, Mrs Mac, I agree Mrs Mac, I'll make sure the prescriptions are there as soon as possible Mrs Mac" ! It did occur to me that he was just saying what I wanted to hear - it was too much of an about-face from everything I've been told for me to just accept it, so I did let him know that I would be monitoring the situation, checking with the home regularly to see that Mil's medication wasn't stopped or changed at any stage without consultation. Later in the afternoon, I phoned the CH to be told that his receptionist had already contacted them to tell them that the pain patches and the script for antibiotics would be there asap. Result! But I meant what I said - I will be keeping a very close eye on it all. Just hoping that this now has a positive impact on Mil's behaviour, and helps her to be a little (fingers crossed for it being a lot) less agitated.

A full on day at work for me again today, battloes with the usual IT gremlins as I tackle admin this morning, then a project this afternoon.

Hope you all have a good day, love to all xxx

Moggymad

May 12, 2017
Well done @Ann Mac i hope that's it now & that your MIL gets these meds ongoing. How strange that everyone including the consultant gave you the impression the GP might be a bit difficult? Let's hope your direct action has sorted this out once & for all & that you can sleep better with one less thing to worry about (noticed the time of your post above!) X

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Afternoon all,

Well done Ann! It sounds as if the GP might be a bit of a bully - throwing his weight around when he can get away with it but backing down the moment someone stands up to him. Whatever the reason, I hope this is one issue that you have now resolved permanently.

What strange weather we are having! It was raining heavily and quite cool when I left home this morning but now dry, warm and sunny. I know we have a 'heatwave' forecast for the weekend, which will be something of a miracle for a bank hol!

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Once again, raining all day, and quite windy. I thought it was gong to clear up a bit today! I’ve been out a couple of times with rubbish, and it’s not pleasant!

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Morning all,

I hadn't realised it quite that early when I posted last, Moggymad. Insomnia is an old friend of mine, and me being up anytime from 4a.m. is sadly not unusual. For years and year - even pre caring for Mil - I have been a very early riser, but admittedly, it got a lot worse once Mil moved in with us. Add the fibromyalgia appearing, and my sleep is absolutely shot. These days 5 hours is average, 3 to 4 hours isn't unususl - and an occasional 6 hours is a miracle, lol.

I honestly don't know with the GP, Slugsta - after everything said to me, I'd braced myself from probably having to be shouty and insistent. You could have knocked me down with a feather when he immediately agrred to the antibiotics, the pain relief patches and assured me that the sleeping tablets would also be sorted. And even after that, I was still surprised when the home told me that the surgery had been in touch to assure them that the requests were going to be met asap. For once, I am concentrating of 'other stuff' today (my day off) - my housework is nearly done, I'm going for a long over-due hair cut shortly, and I am determined to fit in a session at the swimming pool this afternoon, so I won't be visiting Mil. But I'll be there on Saturday morning, and I will be checking the meds and how things are then. A part of me is still suspicious that the GP will somehow not follow through or may stop the meds once he thinks that he can, because of the issues that both the CH and the consultant have had with him. I can't see any reason why they would make a point of telling me about his lack of cooperation if there isn't some truth to it, can you? But, perhaps it's as you say - he's a bit of a bully, who has now caved in!

Very odd weather here too at the moment. Overall, its cold, but we can go from blue skies and sunshine, to the wind and rain that Spamar describes, in the blink of an eye! I was going to treat myself to some new garden furniture this month - I'm struggling to get comfy on the current garden seats (we had two days of nice weather here last month and I discovered that then), and as for the deck chairs - well, I can't flipping get out of them! I'd spotted a set of two cushioned recliners, which weren't too low and intended to buy them - but the current weather is making me wonder if they would get any use at all!

Youngests 17th this month - and (unlike her siblings at the same age) her request is for driving lessons as a present! So, at some stage today, I want to do a bit of research and find out about who is reccommended locally. As the strops are still a feature (*sigh*) all I can say is heaven help the poor instructor, whoever he or she may turn out to be!

Hope you all have a good day xxxxx

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
I don’t expect dau will be the same with a driving instructor as she is with you, Ann. That’s working on the theory that the nearest and dearest get most of it!
My step grand dau 3 is only 16 this year, got another year to save my money. She’s the youngest. Phew!
Light blue sky and sunshine here at the moment. Looks good, anyway!
My neighbour usually comes in on a Thursday, then it’s shopping. I forgot on Tuesday that it’s a Bank Holiday weekend this weekend. I’m not going shopping them, it’ll be crammed. So need to get enough for the weekend. Generally, I go twice at week at the moment, my ankles and feet don’t last a full shop. I’ll take some extra painkillers before I go, see if they work. Though I think I should have found out by now, I’ve been taking them for years.
Better go and finish tidying, I suppose.
Have a good day, everyone.

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Morning all,

Well, our weather turned wet and windy again yesterday afternoon. However, there is good weather predicted for the weekend. Ann, if I were you I would be getting those loungers now, they will probably be sold out soon if the good weather materialises.

tony truro

Apr 23, 2018
Morning all,

Well, our weather turned wet and windy again yesterday afternoon. However, there is good weather predicted for the weekend. Ann, if I were you I would be getting those loungers now, they will probably be sold out soon if the good weather materialises.
Good morning it's sunshine. My wife has the dementia nurse coming in 1 hour .then we go to the beach yippee ....hope you have a great day Tony

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Hi, well we’ve had a beautiful day here! Hope the rest of you you have as well. I have only been out for a coffee, as I probably won’t be able to tomorrow.
Have done some bits and pieces, mostly trying to make the place tidier. I have spent about 6 hours over the last three days looking for a bit of paper, then, on filling in the form I had, found a didn’t need it! Grrr.
However form now emailed away, only a day late!
However, as I was searching I decided to.do a bit of sorting. So a bag full of papers and pamphlets were out in the recycling bin! Every little helps! Now have to put some of it away, tidily, in the filing cabinet. Tomorrow, I hope. Then I’ll be able to see the working surface in the study again. It has been several inches deep in paper, books and magazines for some time!

Hope everybody is keeping well and enjoying this lovely weather!

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Well done Spamar, I always find I feel better if I have managed a bit of sorting out.

OH and I went out for a snack lunch, sat down by the river but the kingfishers were not in evidence, we had to make do with the swans and heron. It was dry and mostly bright but rapidly clouding over as we left.

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Morning all,

Hope you enjoyed the beach, Tony :)

Good for you on making a start on sorting, Spamar - I often have good intentions about tackling things like that, but somehow, I always manage to find an excuse to avoid actually doing the job!

Lunch by the river, with herons and swans for company, sounds lovely Slugsta - even if the kingfisher didn't turn up!

Here, the weather turned to warmth and sunshine by late Friday afternoon, and was the same yesterday, reaching 24c - bliss! So, OH and I headed to Eccleston, with his Kayak strapped to the roof of the car, with my camera - and with our youngest doggy, Seamus (Busta, the old man, was shattered from his early morning walk, and was more than happy to stay snuggled up in his bed). JM probably knows Ecleston well, but for those that don't, the village is part of The Duke of Westminsters' estate - and is beautiful. And on the outskirts is a lovely riverside area, where you see a lot of folk kayaking, canoeing and even wild water swimming, and that's where we went. OH headed off in his kayak (much to the disgust of Seamus, who dosn't approve of us all not 'staying together') and I attempted a wander along the bank, with camera - not that I took a lot of pics, because The Mouse (as we call Seamus) was just too excited with the sunshine, all the kids around and especially all the other dogs! He was determined to make friends with one and all - even if they really were not interested - and I spent most of the time keeping an eye on him! However, it was just nice to be there, so I didn't mind (much!). After an hour or so, OH returned, and we headed home, stopping on the way for me to pick up the garden chair I wanted - and ice cream (sorry diet!). The afternoon was then spent just chilling in the garden, with book, ices, quiet music and cold drinks. Its probably the most relaxing day we have had in months, and it was just fab!

I did manage a couple of pics, so I thought I'd share one - lovely place to spend some time, isn't it?

View media item 54948
Obviously, we didn't get to see Mil, as planned - I think we both just needed a chilled out day - but we are going today. OH hasn't actually been to visit since before we went to Spain, which sounds awful, but he is again finding it hard at the moment. He gets that her current behaviour isn't her fault, but that hasn't stopped him being upset about it. He is struggling in particular with knowing that she is so aggressive and about the injuries she has caused staff there, he knows (he says) that's its stupid, but he just feels dreadful that so many have been hurt by her. Add in the very obvious deterioration, the fact that she doesn't know him - everything basically - and it's hard for him. He says she feels like a stranger, that it just isn't his Mum any more, and that seeing her as she is just makes him feel like the whole situation is inhumane, that her living like that is cruel and it makes him feel bad that he can't do anything about it. I'm actually OK with doing the visits when he feels he can't - but it gets to the point where he feels so guilty about not going, that I will gently push him to go and see her, and we are at that point now. So a probably not too long visit today, and I am hoping that she will be calm and glad to see us (even if she hasn't a clue who we are) and that he will then feel better for seeing her.

Afterwards, we are heading to the gym. Yes - I have joined a gym! One with a pool. The plan is that I try and get fitter and more flexible by gentle swimming. We have been going to one of several local leisure centers/pools, over the last few weeks, but most only have limited general swim sessions, and often not at the times that suit us. They are usually packed during these times, with 'serious' swimmers, and the lack of space and the fact that I've been accidently kicked a couple of times is a problem. With two of the pools, the ladder access to the water is difficult for me. And because - so far - we have been trying to go often, it was working out to be quite expensive to pay for individual sessions (between £5 and £6 for each of us, per session, depending on where we went). So, we tried a local private gym, and knew after the first session that it was ideal. For less than we have been paying weekly for 2 sessions at leisure centres, we can go as often as we want to a place which has a 20 metre pool, easy access for me and a poolside jacuzzi and steam room that we can use. The facilities are gorgeous, OH has access to the gym (so do I, but don't think me using it will happen!), and if (fingers crossed) the swimming does help me, then I will also have access to pilates, Tai Chi and Yoga classes, included in the cost - which works out about £8 per week. We have been twice since we joined last Thursday, and though I have been really sore afterwards, I actually feeel better for it in an odd way. More relaxed, and I guess, pleased that I am doing something! I am hoping that today, if the visit to Mil is stressful, that a swim, a jaccuzi and a steam room session, will help OH unwind.

The decent weather is set to continue through today and tomorrow, and for once, I am not going to use the bank holiday as a 'catch up with admin' day - I'm taking it off, as I am actully supposed to - so tomorrow, I may venture to the gym by myself - if only for a jaccuzzi and steam - and hopefully spend the rest of the day on my new comfy chair in the garden.

I hope you all enjoy whats left of the long weekend - much love to all xxxx

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Wow! What a lovely place to go! Thanks for the photos.
The gym sounds good as well. I could do with somewhere like that! One of my many cousins goes swimming weekly, and is sure it’s doing her good! ( I used to have 19 cousins, but now down to 8, plus me, of course. I’m the second youngest! I used to call them, a cousin for every occasion!)

Did a bit more sorting, but not much. Tried to read in the afternoon. Sat in the conservatory, book in hand. 5 minutes and wrist is aching, heavy book! Plus I had trouble reading it, eyes are much better in the morning! Swopped to another book, I nearly always have several on the go. Then my shoulder ached! Gave it up as a bad job!
Shows I’m over shingles and chest infection, anyway! Eating more as well, but didn’t put on any weight last week .

It’s not quite so hot here, I’m only a couple of miles from the sea, definate cooling effect. But quite hot enough for me, thank you!

Don’t get sunburnt, anyone

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Morning all,

Ann, thanks for the photo. Your day sounds idyllic and it s great that you have joined the leisure centre and are doing things to help your health and general wellbeing.

Spamar, I'm glad that you seem to be over the shingles and chest infection at least!

It has been lovely weather here, OH and I went into Wimborne yesterday and had lunch by the river again - same river but a bit further up. No kingfishers, herons or swans but some grey wagtails kept us amused.

Hoping that everyone else is as well as they can be.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I'm inside a sports hall in Sheffield. No chance of sun burn. Photo of the river is very familiar although it doesn't look like that in December on a wet windy night. I used to canoe (well correctly kayak) from the edge of Chester up to Eccleston ferry and beyond. I've also swum from there quite regularly at one point on a Sunday evening.

Ann I hope your visit to mil goes OK. Cushions in use and meds sorted. Not had a chance to comment but I suspect GP had had a rocket from consultant the way he meekly changed his tune. But it just shouldn't happen.

I had a prescription saga yesterday. My inhaler ordered a week previously wasn't at chemist so was told to phone 111. Then chemist they sent it to didn't have it in stock so back to 111. Requested from my chemist as they had in stock which meant had to go via out of hours GP. 2 hours of my life I won't get back.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Now back from Sheffield, journey home about 1hr 45, journey out about 1h 30. Slow traffic near Stalybridge on the way home. I'm sure @nitram will be familiar with this area. Son did not have his best tournament, by some way, his first fight was against a very good fencer and this tends to set the way the rest of his fights go, he should have won 4 out of 6 and won 1, so was seeded low down, and fought the boy seeded 11 in the next round, although put up a good show. At the last fencing tournament in Hendon he did much better, although still had a bad patch.

Update on mum, as I've not updated for a month or so. We had mum round a few days after Easter, she clearly isn't washing, and the carers aren't getting her to wash, which the children didn't like, I have always noticed issues but this time was quite difficult, and we made sure we washed everything. In addition I think she isn't making herself breakfast all the time, and the care log indicates she often says she doesn't want anything for evening meal. I need to speak to the care team about this but haven't yet, partly putting it off as it's stressful, partly been very busy and partly so much emotional energy goes into dealing with teenage strops, which alternates with teenage angst that I haven't.

During this visit mum said to my dau she thought she had another child, but wasn't sure (ie my brother), which dau told her yes, and then told me about afterwards. I suspect as she only sees my invisible brother once or twice a year it is slipping out of her mind but she would know who he was if she saw him (but you never know).

Had mum here yesterday for birthday cake and a cup of tea, we had planned to have her here the weekend of dau's birthday (21 April) but strops got in the way, and I'd wanted to have her here on my birthday but teenage angst the night before made the day run late. Mum had no idea it was my birthday, kept asking who was 50, and then asked me if my birthday was in May, this time last year she knew when my birthday was and made a better job than OH and kids of remembering and saying happy birthday, I knew this was going to happen, but still a shock and sad when it does.

I also noticed that mum has very long toe nails so I guess I need to get a podiatorist appt sorted for her, she had been doing them herself when first in her flat and I don't normally see her feet out fo slippers.

Mentioned to OH as to whether I should speak to brother about visiting mum more often as she is starting to forget things, and he said it was more likely to cause problems than fix them. As brother is still unemployed as far as I know, he has time, I would suggest paying for cost of travel out of mum's funds (I know not strictly allowable) but I don't want the hassle of it, he will think I am being bossy, he will feel upset and still not come etc etc. I think his life is a mess but not easy to fix it, he has suffered from depression but not all of the issues stem from that, his behaviour when not depressed has been poor (like my parents very untidy, like my dad very self centred - he really resented the fact his partner expected him to actually spend time with his kids) and difficult for his partner to deal with (now I understand ex, and would like him to move out of house).A whole can of worms, but he never saw mum more than once a year or so before she got ill, as he was too busy with his own life, he saw her more when he was racing and she was physically fit enough to provide race support. Once she couldn't he didn't make any effort to see her except at Christmas.

got to go, more catch up later.

RedLou

Jul 30, 2014
Ann - hope your visit went okay. Swimming sounds brilliant. I keep thinking I should do dance/swimming in addition to the yoga/pilates but never enough time. My diet has slipped big-time over this weekend. Also, ice cream. So you are not alone.
JM - I suspect you need to conserve your energy and not worry about your brother and his failure to visit your mum. Sounds like you have quite enough to deal with.
Spamar - glad you are (very gradually) picking up. Slugsta, Amy and everyone, trying to keep up and sending love.
This is what we were doing yesterday, so new parents could get a rest. First time she'd heard loud birdsong!
IMG_0151.jpg

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Morning all,

Just look at those big bright eyes, Red - what a little beauty! How is your daughter doing now? I hope she is better xxxx

I feel for you JM, trying to deal with strops from teens and your Mum too. As for your brother, I think Red is right - from what you say, it sounds like you would end up putting in a lot of time and energy to get at most, very minimal support for him. Not worth your time or the stress, hun, sadly. And when a family event brings into sharp relief the deterioration in our pwds, when they forget a birthday, or who someone is - it doesn't matter that you know that it will happen at some stage, its still a horrible shock when it does. I don't think that any of us can really prepare ourselves mentally for it. All that combined with your usual juggling of family activities and work, and you really do have a massive amount to cope with at the moment. Sending {{{{{hugs}}}}}

Its too early to tell if the swimming is helping physically, Spamar - though, to be fair, I think I have slept a little better these last few night. But its definitely helping mentally - I just feel like I am doing something positive, and that has to be a good thing. Would you not consider a kindle, for reading, if books are an issue? I never wanted one, felt that nothing could be as good as the feel of a real book, but OH bought me one, must be about 6 or 7 years back - and I really love it. And was thrilled when the kids got me the latest version last Christmas. I still read books - can't resist a charity shop or market stall stocked with real books, lol - but there are a lot of bonuses to the kindle. When I go away, I can - if I want - take literally dozens of books with me, and they don't add to the weight of my case. Kindle books are cheaper, I can adjust the screen brightness when my eyes are tired, and I can - if I want - access any social media sites, or my emails, as well as read with it. I've also downloaded some music onto it - again, great when on holiday (sometimes, if I am lazing round the pool, I prefer my own playlists to what is on offer poolside).

Slugsta, glad you had a nice lunch out - we also had another gorgeous day yesterday, and took full advantage, sitting outside for most of the afternoon - no wagtails, but both the garden blackbirds and the robin kept us amused :)

We visited Mil yesterday, and - hurrah - found her sitting in the lounge, with her cushions! And in a cracking mood. No idea who we were, but she greeted OH with a massive hug - all whilst calling him by her brothers name. Never mind - at least she was happy to see him!

6th May 2018 (1).jpg

She was - for want of a better description - absolutely full of it! Very childlike, lots of face pulling and excited 'Ohhhhs' and 'Ahhhhhs', but big smiles and clowning around. No nasty comments about anyone walking near her, in fact calling out either affectionately, or jokingly to staff. I asked her to smile for a photograph for me to send to the kids - I got a 'Naana-na-narnar' instead.

31949884_10216183864300131_4919609382271975424_n.jpg

So I said to her that she was a tinker - and got the 'butter wouldn't melt' face!

6th May 2018.jpg

And the staff told me that this was the second day in a row that she had been like this. There had been just one minor meltdown, where she was banging on doors and windows, the evening before - but she hadn't attempted to physically go for anyone. Two days of no aggression might not sound like much, but after the last few months, its a bit of a record for Mil. The anti-biotics, pain relief and sleeping tablet have now been used for 5 days, and I am hoping like mad that the combination is making this difference and that it continues (though I am also telling myself not to pin too much hope on it, trying to be sensible).

The only fly in the ointment was that the OTT staff was there, and again, was a bit of a pain, butting in with her silly and OTT almost 'baby' talk to Mil. However, Mil didn't seem to mind, so we said nothing - and to be honest, given the good mood Mil was in, both OH and I were able to more or less ignore the staff.

We stayed for about 40 mins, before heading off for a swim, a jacuzzi and a session in the steam room. Then home for a sandwich, and a bowl of fresh fruit, sitting outside and just relaxing. OH was glad to have seen his Mum, but I can't say he enjoyed it - just relief at her being in a good mood, combined with the sadness that once again, she just didn't know who he was. This is so hard for him.

Today, both OH and dau are working , pretty much all day. So, a quick flit around the house to tidy up, sort out and prep as much of tonights meal as I can, then its the garden for me :) Need to check the bank holiday hours for the gym, to see if its open for when OH finishes work, and if so we will meet there for a swim - if not, I might head down there by myself.

Enjoy the rest of the holiday weekend everyone - much love to all xxxxx

6th-may-2018-1.54949

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Morning, Ann, and everybody,
Another beautiful day!
I do have an iPad, Ann, and I have some books on it. But I don’t like book reading on it very much. Odd, cos I spend hours with it in my hand reading other things.
I love books, new books that is. The feel, the smell of them, though old books bring out an allergic reaction. The smell of old books just gets to me. OH loved old books, but I had to stay outside the shop!
Odd, loving new, reacting badly to old!
Might go out today, might not! I will get dressed and see how I feel! Maybe a coffee somewhere?
Cheers,
S