So bizarre !

RedLou

Jul 30, 2014
Aw, 2jays -- you are bound to feel fragile. Take care.
Sorry to hear about your mum, Slugsta. Will be thinking of you.
Glad to hear you are in one piece, JM!

Might be sensible to do this in the Spring when the chances of hurricanes and snow and the like have diminished. I don't mind the north west (might dovetail it with a Liverpool match) or, indeed, Solihull (my best friend lives there.) Would be lovely to get the intention firmed up and we can confirm date and place in the New Year? Wonder if there's the slightest, happiest chance of dovetailing with a visit to Europe by Amy? :)

frog30117

Oct 26, 2017
Mils delusions/confabulations are getting more and more extreme - though Thank god, she isn't finding them upsetting and they are not stressing her out at all. But the sheer 'strangeness' and the absolute lack of logic behind them is breathtaking.

Just yesterday, we had her asking when her next exercise session was - you know, the one where she and the dog go to the gym!

We had her frantically looking for the 'Christmas Mobile phone' she had bought - she showed it to me, she said - the red one, that she is allowed to use to phone her brother at Christmas.

Last night she leapt out of her seat to go and 'clean that room'. What room? The one upstairs, where we play ten pin bowling, apparently - oldest daughter caught that one - I walked in to find Mil demanding that daughter accompany her up the stairs so she could SHOW her the bowling alley, and Mil then insisted that I went too. She went in every bed room, bathroom too - even opened the landing cupboard - but wasn't that worried when it couldn't be found.

This morning, she is worried about getting to her job at the theatre on time - the theatre where she wears the blue dress on the stage and there are horses :confused:

Because she isn't upset, then it doesn't worry or upset me, and its not stressful to deal with - but I am seriously puzzled by where on earth these odd ideas come from!

My grandmother does stuff like that. She handed mom the remote control thinking it was the telephone. She thinks there are two of each of us. We aren't sure if she sees the present version of us and the past versions or what. She talks to invisible dead people who've been gone for over 20 years. Sometimes it can be entertaining when it's about silly stuff, but when she is crying about her husband seeing another woman across the street (not only did he die long ago, but he was very faithful) it's heartbreaking.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
I think the spring is a good idea. Wonder if JM has a w/e free then? Or even a day! Fabulous if Amy could come!
Easter weekend covers the end of March, beginning of April. Is that good or bad? Is school holidays a better time, or worse, Ann and JM? I’m easy, not got anything booked yet!
I also have an old school friend in NWales, and a uni friend at Menai Bridge. I might just get in touch!
Try and come, 2Jays, go another route.

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Mum still with us, declining food/fluids, opens her eyes briefly sometimes. I will ring CH before bed, if all OK will go back in morning. Son is going to come down for the day whatever happens.

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Also thinking of you Slugsta, and glad your son is able to visit. Sending you squishy hugs and hoping that Mum continues to be peaceful and comfortable xxxxxx

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Slugsta - been thinking of you today.

So eventful week or so, kids wise. Son lost his coat in school on Thurs, came home in torrential rain, soaked to the skin, and made us late for dentist. Scout camp at weekend and he lost a bag of clothing and a towel, we were not impressed, although did manage to track down the bag of clothing quickly. He didn't realise he had lost it until I had asked for the dirty washing. We were not best pleased (understatement), he isn't getting the coat he lost replaced without earning it back via housework, although he won't need it with colder weather. It was already the replacement for an identical one lost in July.

This week he has redeemed himself by getting full marks in his spelling test and the online maths homework he has been doing all half term has put him second in the year - he is finally believing in himself school wise, still awaiting the results of dyslexia tests he had a couple of weeks ago, but at least after 6 years of asking he has been tested.

Took dau to Liverpool uni open day last Saturday, bit early to start looking but she is a bit undecided so as so near thought it a good idea. She loved it and is torn between Biochemistry and Genetics (at Liverpool both part of Life Science Dept ) - based on her predicted grades the genetics guy said they would welcome her with open arms which surprised me. She commented that no wonder loads of girls from school plan to go somewhere else and end up at Liverpool - nice to have a top uni on doorstep - she still plans to look at Oxbridge options, which she had ruled out.

Dau on half term - I took Monday off work (although as busy time of year have made hours up since). She got all stroppy at breakfast time as she didn't realise I was off and hadn't planned the day. Back to bed and a reboot an hour later - we walked the dog together - her aunt phoned, and she took call and then threw a wobbly because she hadn't got to walk dog with me - I was very unimpressed - rude enough she took the call, but to then throw a wobbly because she'd taken the call and not talked to me. I still took her shopping as she needed new school shoes and she enjoyed my company I was too annoyed too enjoy hers.

Wed she got over tired, lots of training, still recovering from bug, and had a tantrum, banging doors, waking brother up, and throwing washbasket and clothes downstairs. OH wasn't home, and it probably would have escalated if he had been. She did bring me a cup of tea in bed on Thurs morning, which just showed how bad she thought she'd been.

I have had tooth ache all week, made appt for Thurs as day off, woke up Thurs am with massively swollen cheek, so now have anitbiotics, the joys of root canal removal to come across 2 40 min appts, and then in 2 months once root canal has settled tooth will need crowning.

And I wasn't meaning to suggest we should meet up on 28th Jan, just to show how busy I am it was the first weekend with no planned kids activities. I'd still need to take son out cycling. Mid March life will resume whizzing round the country. Thursday daytime when I don't work is good except Oct to Dec, and an evening might be possible on some weekends.

Wind is howling outside tonight. Lots of trees/branches down round here over last couple of storms.

MIL on the Scottish side of the Solway Firth lost power for 24 hours with Ophelia. Not sure if she should be listed as priority, as she has no other source of heating. From texts I had from her friend she was fine, but at 90 with poor mobility and a care line installed not great. She does still drive and has a very strong support network that would look after her, but that is not the point. OH went to visit her on way back from Edinburgh on Thur evening and said she was on really good form, best she'd been for a few years, which is good to hear as she was a bit confused when we saw her in April, although OH didn't pick up on it, only myself and dau.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Morning, JM how often do you find time to breathe? Sounds a mad life to me! Though I suppose I was rushing around years ago, even without children. And there are melt downs and melt downs! Dau seems to have excelled herself!
Haven’t heard about oldest granddaughter’s uni expectations ( don’t think there are any, to be honest) but her cousin is now looking at Imperial College and Oxford, having now been predicted all A*s. Her mum is like a dog with two tails! Said the brains must come from me! I just didn’t point out that her husband is not my child, but he was adopted! So no relation to any of his parents! I’m not sure what subject, but something related to biology. Which is quiete a broad spectrum these days. I did my degree based on the fact that I’d like to do genetics. 2nd year genetics cured me of that idea, but then I discovered ecology! Just my type of subject - there’s no right answer (until after the event)! As you all must know, I can waffle with the best!

JM we weren’t suggesting that day for meetup, probably some time afterwards. The weather can be pretty bad in January, and some of us will be travelling across country. Just so long as you can c9me for a meal, or even a couple of hours at your convenience, that’s what we are hoping! Ditto Ann.
Sorry about your tooth, hope it gets sorted as painlessly as possible! I’ve never had a problem with it, though I remember that my teeth don’t necessarilly have the right number of roots! (Had to have one out).
Ann, Red, hope you are both
OK.
Slugsta, thinking of you at this difficult time. (((((Hugs)))))

RedLou

Jul 30, 2014
Slugsta - very much thinking of you. Sending a large hug.

--I hope Easter will be impossible for me - as it will mean daughter has carried baby to term. (Due date is Easter Sunday.) Maybe late April?

Glad dau liked Liverpool uni, JM. I have to say the running up and down motorways each term beginning and end gets very boring and there was no way ours would have managed all her stuff on the bus. I also have to add we ended up feeling like the poorest people with off-spring at Oxford. I'm sure that was an illusion, but when daughter went on the Ox Drama Society summer tour, it seemed a procession of staying at fellow actors' parents' stately homes/mansions. One unexpected side effect therefore is that daughter, who once wouldn't have known Wilson from MacMillan, is now very active and opinionated in left of centre politics!

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Afternoon all,

Jm, I'm sorry you are having toof problems :( Also0 sorry that daughter is still having meltdowns! My son used to be a terror for losing things (not much better now, he lost his iPhone last week!), we ended up giving him an allowance out of which all replacements had to be bought, it didn't make him any more careful but it did stop me getting so wound up about it!

Red, I really hope you are not able to make Easter!

I stayed with Mum last night, she seemed a bit more wakeful this morning - although this is her 5th day without fluids. Hubby came across mid-morning and brought me back home for some sleep. I have just woken up, will have something to eat and then go back overnight. I reckon there are a lot of staff going in and out during the day but not so many at night.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend. xx

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Afternoon all,

Jm, I'm sorry you are having toof problems :( Also0 sorry that daughter is still having meltdowns! My son used to be a terror for losing things (not much better now, he lost his iPhone last week!), we ended up giving him an allowance out of which all replacements had to be bought, it didn't make him any more careful but it did stop me getting so wound up about it!

Red, I really hope you are not able to make Easter!

I stayed with Mum last night, she seemed a bit more wakeful this morning - although this is her 5th day without fluids. Hubby came across mid-morning and brought me back home for some sleep. I have just woken up, will have something to eat and then go back overnight. I reckon there are a lot of staff going in and out during the day but not so many at night.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend. xx
Squishy hugs slugsta holding your hand tight

It was 8 days after mum stopped eating and drinking, that she stopped breathing. The longest, but in hind sight the shortest, 8 days.

Glad you are being looked after by your OH and getting some rest.

xxxxxxx

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Slugsta, OH died at 03:00, it is said this is usually the time of the night, not sure what that bit of research is based on! Fortunately my wait was less than 24 hours!
I only mentioned Easter as a time to avoid. I also guessed a Red would be otherwise occupied around that time!!

So I would suggest early/middle March or middle April. I’m dithering about NZ next year, but I’m sure you would all agree this is more important .

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Morning everyone - and yep, I know its the middle of the night still to most, but my sleep is extremely messed up and erratic at the moment, and this is morning to me :)

Slugsta, have been thinking about you and your Mum, and sending much love and wishes for strength to you and your family, hun x Please try and get some decent rest, when you can xxx

Give me enough notice guys, and whenever the meet date is decided upon - I'll be there :) Red - fingers crossed that all goes well, and you will be too busy in your new role as Nana to go anywhere at Easter :) xxx

JM, youngest does lose things (though her older sister was always the worst for that, and even now she seems to spend a lot of time looking for phone, shoes, bag, purse, ect.) , but youngest's main trick is breaking things! Lost count of the number of phones with cracked screens, broken watches, laptops that have missing keys or have broken sound . . . and she never knows how these breakages happen, and (of course) its NEVER her fault! And untidy doesn't come close - her room is the absolute pits and I now refuse to even go in there - it is disgusting! Oldest is similarly messy :( Although youngest is diagnosed with ADHD, I've said for years that I also think she has a lot of dyslexic/dyspraxic tendencies, and the losing things/breaking things can definitely be a trait of both those conditions - so perhaps, if your son does have dyslexia, that would explain him losing stuff too. As a side note, oldest (a teacher) had one of her students being assessed for dyspraxia in the classroom a few weeks back, and the woman doing the assessment asked oldest if she was perhaps also dyspraxic? Something to do with her watching the way oldest dau writes and forms letters had caught her attention. She asked dau a few questions and though she said that clearly oldest had worked out her own way of successfully dealing with the issues it causes, she was absolutely certain that she has dyspraxia.

Son - who incidentally is diagnosed as having severe dyslexia/dyspraxia - is almost the opposite! Another dyspraxic trait is the need for order and planning (almost OCD like) and that's one of the ways it affects him - so he rarely loses things, and he likes to have things 'just so', meaning that he is careful of his possessions, takes good care of them and can only tolerate so much untidyness before he has to sort it out - in his case, the need for order is stronger than the tendency to lose/be careless with his possessions!

Sorry to hear you are still getting the tantrums when your girl is tired out. They haven't been as bad here, but I think that has something to do with the fact that OH and I have been so busy with our respective jobs, that we simply haven't had the energy to be patient - she starts, and she gets very short-shrift immediately. Sounds a bit heartless, but actually, in terms of the melt downs, it seems to be quite effective.

Good luck with the dental appointments - nothing worse than toothache, or earache, in my book :(

Well done to your - is it another Granddaughter? Wasn't sure from your post - and her predicted A's, Spamar. I was thinking of you on Friday morning, when I started a 6 week ecology based course with one of my groups, at a nature reserve - had a lovely morning pond dipping , and I found myslef thinking 'This would be right up Spamar's street' :D I haven't pond dipped since I was a kid myself, and I forgot how interesting and how much fun it could be! We found water bugs and beetles, water snails, dragon and damsel fly larva - but the star's of the show, especially for my young people, were the caddis fly larva - one had constructed a case that was at least 4 or 5 times longer than its body - how on earth it was managing to drag it round was anyones guess! The reserve is there only because its a site for great crested newts, which are protected. One of the big house building companies bought the land to build a housing estate, and because of the crested newts they had to legally provide a reserve within the area and then pay for its upkeep - they have had to create an area with no less than 39 small ponds, and we were told that when they collected the creatures to move them to the new ponds, they found 3000 crested newts - and also 27,000 assorted smooth newts, frogs and toads. If the crested newts hadn't been on the site, then there would have been no obligation for all the other creatures to be saved and most would have been killed with the building work - doesn't bear thinking about, does it :(

{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}} 2jays x

Amy, hope all is OK with you, hun and cuppatea - hello, feel free to join in whenever you like :) xxx

Visited Mil yesterday, found her still without teeth and very chesty. Staff are aware and monitoring. She was in fairly good humour and for once saw me and greeted me like a long lost friend, very excitable and very delighted to see me - that lasted for about a couple of minutes, with her saying that she couldn't believe I was there and had come to see her, for once it wasn't OH who got all the smiles and the affection, lol. However, her attention soon went back to her lunch. Her coordination when it comes to feeding herself is so poor now, but she still prefers - most of the time -to 'do it herself'. She was using a fork, and even though I fetched her a knife (I think the first one had ended up on the floor) she insisted on having the fork in one hand and using a bunched up bit of tissue in her other hand to push the food onto the fork. And she really struggled, eventually asking me to cut her food for her (I think the staff are going to have to start doing that now!) and eventually, suddenly bursting into tears and asking me to help feed her the last few bits. The pudding - peach crumble and custard - she managed to hoover up in no time, it being much easier for her to manage with the spoon and tissue routine.

Mainly she was in a good mood, but we twice saw a sudden flash of aggressive behaviour, though thankfully not aimed at us. One of the other residents came across (as he often does) and did his usual hovering over OH and I, carrying out a series of mimed actions - sometimes you can work out what he is doing, sometimes you can't, but we are quite use to him and if you just let him carry on and speak pleasantly to him, he is no problem. Yesterday he kept miming writing something on our backs, and was responding with the odd smile when we spoke to him. Mil was OK at first, insisted on caling him 'Tommy' (not his name) and asking how he was. But - with no reason I could see - she suddenly turned and as OH was saying something to the gentleman, Mil's face turned to thunder and she mouthed at me to tell him where to go - I'll leave you to guess at the language she used! She raised the hand with the fork in it and I honestly thought she was going to throw it at the gentleman, so I spoke really sharply to her - she subsided - but if looks could kill. Had there been no one there, near enough to stop her, I think she would have thrown it :( Several minutes later, the old boy moved to stand closer to her, and again, she turned, suddenly shouting at him to 'Go away', and her hand came up - this time a member of staff was near and led the gentleman away. But its easy to see how quickly she can blow and how quick she is to resort to hitting out or throwing things at people :( We stayed for an hour, and again, no fuss when we left to 'go shopping' - just her givng me a lst of 'bread, butter and cooked beef' to pick up at the shops for her :)

Half term round here this week, so admin catch up week, plus a run to S Wales on Wednesday. I have 3 projects finishing next week, but another one started this week, and I have two more starting the week after I get back from holiday, so its still going to be incredibly busy. Haven't had the usual anual leave approval through for our hols, so am starting to panic slightly over there being a problem with it - I guess I'll find out on Wednesday!

Hope you all have a good what's left of the weekend. Slugsta, will be thinking of you, hun, and hoping all is peaceful xxx Take care, everyone xxxx

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Ann - don't know how it works in a 'home' situation, but I have read on TP of people getting lipped plates so it is easier to scoop the food into the spoon, but I'm guessing the crumble was in a bowl so maybe this wouldn't work anyway. Suspect the complication of special plates might be too much anyway.

Son on half term, dau on inset day so I'm at home, doing some work, but not enough.

With regards to nature reserves, when we visited Alyn waters on Friday we were made aware of the Friends of Alyn waters campaign against the closure of the entire ranger service provision at the site, the cafe is run by SS (some of the 'staff' have Down's syndrome) so they weren't affected, but suspect that if the costs of running the building then all fall on SS they will go as well. This gives us a local cafe dilemma, as the location works well for us, it is well used by many of the cyclists from our area, but such a shame for the people who benefit so much from the cafe, both the Down's syndrome 'staff' and the many other people brought in by their carers, where there is an atmosphere of acceptance of those not part of mainstream society.

Last edited:

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
With regards to nature reserves, when we visited Alyn waters on Friday we were made aware of the Friends of Alyn waters campaign against the closure of the entire ranger service provision at the site, the cafe is run by SS (some of the 'staff' have Down's syndrome) so they weren't affected, but suspect that if the costs of running the building then all fall on SS they will go as well. This gives us a local cafe dilemma, as the location works well for us, it is well used by many of the cyclists from our area, but such a shame for the people who benefit so much from the cafe, both the Down's syndrome 'staff' and the many other people brought in by their carers, where there is an atmosphere of acceptance of those not part of mainstream society.

Oh, JM - know all about this - it's dreadful :( Lots of anger from the general public over this, and other propsals

A bit of background - over the last two years there have been outcries over the council wasting money - they spent a couple of million on a consultancy fee (for advice on how to save money!), bought themselves new chrome books and just two weeks ago, voted against pay restructuring for themselves (though lowlier council employee's had to accept that and take pay cuts!).

They have now produced a document entitled 'Difficult Decisions', proposing a list of cuts they could make to save money. Cutting the ranger service is just one of many. It may not directly affect the cafe (at first) but the rangers also oversee a lot of disabled volunteers/staff who work in habitat and grounds maintenance - so what happens to them? The rangers maintain the paths, so what happens to it being a venue for bike riding - or for pedal power, which provides adapted bikes for disabled people to be used at the park? In Ty Mawr country park, it would mean the closure of the petting zoo. Ty Mawr, Alyn, Nant Mill and other local reserves/parks frequently host community events - they would go. And Alyn Waters is also where I take my groups, to make Bug Hotels and to learn about building camp fires and toasting marshmallows, and the ranger there is just absolutely brilliant with my young people :( The council have also proposed bringing in car park fee's for the parks and reserves.

They are also proposing cutting all the extra music services to schools - so no more intrument lessons, choirs . . .

And - just in case, after they have targetted the disabled and the children in order to save money, you thought that maybe our PWD's and others who need day services would for once be safe - they have also proposed a 56% RISE in the cost of day services, which were previously capped at £25 p.w, rising to £39 p.w. There was also mention of them withdrawing funding to pay for the mandatory training that support/care staff receive in the private sector, leaving private care companies to pick up the tab - which will obviously lead to big hikes in costs for those that are self funding in their own home, as well as those in residential care.

They have suggested that the councillors may also start to pay for parking in the council run car park they use, which currently they get for free - presumably to make it clear that they intend to suffer too? However, I've read elsewhere that the proposed parking fee for councillors will be £4 per week - whereas Joe Public and other workers pay up to £10 per day for parking, so I don't think anyone is that impressed by their sacrifice!

And . . . . breathe, Ann! As you can tell, I (and many, many others) am so cross about this. It seems to me that the biggest savings that are being proposed will once again target the vulnerable and the young and I am steaming.

Last edited:

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
Gosh, you busy gadabouts! I get tired just staying at home.

Love reading about the practical parts of your job, Ann, such worthwhile stuff and I can see how enthusiasm keeps you going. But the admin! Plus all the goings on in your own lives, and the extra worries about MIL, teeth etc.
You deserve your break...I know you'll enjoy it.