So bizarre !

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Lovely to hear from you, Amy. I'm not in Ophelias way, being in the east. But Ann and JM should feel it. Good luck, ladies! Slugsta should be relatively clear, hopefully!
We had one 30 years ago, that was bad enough! We only lost an apple tree, a Branley in full leaf and laden with apples! Fortunately OH was a deft hand with a chainsaw, so branches not a problem. Had to fill and seed the hole in the lawn, though! There are lots of coniferous forests around here, they were flattened. Wonder I'd I've still got the pix?
Cheers, ladies!

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Yes we had yellow sky this morning which I described on weekly chat thread as looking like it was going to snow and car windscreen was all milky this mornine. Son said he got blown by a gust into (quiet ) road on way home from school.

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Just popping in to say hope everyone in Ophelia's path is safe, and stays that way!

We got the yellow skies this morning, and a red sun mid-morning - very odd :( Relieved to get a meesage from my sister in Ireland saying she and the family there are safe.

Driving home tonight was no fun, the college I was at today is in a very rural area, and my route home takes me down several minor roads/lanes (can't avoid them), lined with very tall tree's, and got hit apleanty with small twigs and lots of leaves, could feel the wind ccatching the car - then stuck at traffic lights at a junction, there was one loud *Bang* on the car roof. I presume a branch had come down and I fully expected to see a large dent in the roof once I got home, but amazingly, no sign of any damage.

Tree's at the bottom of the garden are almost bent double, and I suspect tomorrow is going to see roads and gardens littered with fence panals and goodness knows what else.

Be careful, everyone xxx

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Goodnes, have we all been hibernating?
A moan, car serviced, needs a rear spring, no not expensive. Well, in their terms maybe!
OK, it’s got to be done and I haven’t had to have anything major done for the 4 years I’ve had it. Btw, this new way of getting numbers etc is natty, isn’t it?
Next door is starting their building. Overhead wires sheathed on Tuesday, first deliveries of building things this morning. And the last several weeks he has spent at least an hour bashing, I think trying to remove the concrete patio. I keep wanting to say, a builder with the right equipment would have done the whole lot in an hour, instead of you giving me a headache every day!
But I’m polite ( to most people most of the time)!
We’re not talking about it!
Plus is oldest stepgranddaughters birthday party on Sunday. I don’t mind driving down, but it’s driving back that’s
the problem! Don’t like driving in the dark these days! It’s only about 1 1/4 hours. Still at least I can stay home and have a drink. Her actual birthday was 2 days ago. 18! Can remember going to see her the day she was born. OH was looking at her, sleeping on the bed, practically counting the breaths. On questioning, no, he was like that when his daughter was born!
Getting maudlin ( without the drink), better go.
Hope you’ve all recovered from the storm. Until the weekend, that is!
I’m also still sleeping well. Eating well unfortunately, also!!
Cheers,
S

Last edited:

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Afternoon all,

I hope that peeps are hibernating, rather than being blown away by the gales!

Spamar, I'm not sure what you mean about 'getting numbers'? :oops:

Mum was coughing a lot today and sounded very rattly. I have also had a word with the staff about making sure Mum has mouthcare after meals. She is 'pouching' food so really needs to have this done - and it is clearly not always happening!

Sky has ben rather restless today, up on my lap for a while, then going elsewhere for a few minutes. Back to me and off again. Rinse and repeat. She seems happy and it is not how she usually asks for food. I have decided that she was trying to tell me that I was in her seat (actually my side of the bed)!

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
I’ve updated the iPad. To get the alternatives to the letters you can see, you can swipe the letter and get an alternative, so with numbers on the top line, just swipe, Swipe Y for 6, for instance. a for @, much easier! I’ve just got to remember to do it and not go into automatic!

Hope Skycat is settling and this is not the foretaste of someth8ng else.

Been out visiting a friend this pm, nice to have a chat! Her OH is recovering from a knee replacement. Still struggling, but it’s only a fortnight!

Hope everything is going well for the others.

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Morning all,

Spamar, I was puzzled by the 'getting numbers' too - glad of the explanation! Annoying when a simple service reveals a fault on the car - especially if it ends up costing you a good bit . Equaly annoying, the noise from on--going building work - I hope the neighbour gets the last of the patio (or whatever it is) sorted quickly so you can have some peace. Safe journey to your stepgranddaughters birthday bash xxx

Hope the word with the care home has the desired result, Slugsta - it's frustrating when you have to make a point of asking for such basic care needs to be seen too. Bless Skycat -it's good to read that she is happy and well xxx

Hope everyone else is OK, after the storms? Ophelia brought down a fair few tree's locally, but the only damage we had was the wooden trellis arch over the garden steps being slightly battered, so we were lucky. I remain amazed that next doors very tall birch didn't end up crashing down - it's a ridiculously tall tree for a back garden (though a very beautiful tree too) and watching it bend and sway on Monday, I was pretty much waiting for it to break!

Usual mad busy week in work, and I currently have two life size fibre glass lambs sitting in my front room, who are going to be painted to join the life sized sheep at one of the college sites I work at. Seamus the dog, who was madly in love with the life sized sheep when she stayed here, for some strange reason, is frightened of the smaller lamb sized ones - they have been banished to their boxes, out of his sight, because soon as he see them he begins growling and crying! Go figure???

OH passed another major exam during his training last week - so far he has passed every single exam/assessment with flying colours. I am so proud of him, and he continues to really enjoy the new role. He has just one more big exam to go, and he is feeling fairly confident (though not complacent!) . In two weeks time, he will have finished the training and has to take a two week break before starting 'live shifts' , and he decided that with the last few months for me having been so manic, as well as all the hard work he has put in , we deserve a treat. So - in around 3 weeks time, we are off to Fuerteventura for a weeks winter sun! It all seems a bit surreal - 8 years plus of no holidays, because we couldn't leave Mil for more than a day or two's camping at best, now 3 holidays (I'm counting Ireland and my sisters wedding, as well as Rhodes) in less than a year! I feel very lucky. Although we are going all inclusive again, at this time of the year, its a pretty much a cheap and cheerful break and just the thought of it has lifted my spirits very high - never been to the Canary Islands before. There is some re-organising to do around work, which I am dreading, as I think the colleges may be a bit peeved - however, I've extended all my projects with them, to accomodate their wishes over the last few months, so I don't feel too bad about it . Not a lot of prep to do, because of all the stuff bought for the last hol (I even have masses of sun cream left!) - just have to bung everything in a case, and off we will go! Having had a quick read up of where we are heading, I am looking forward to a beautiful beach (where apparently chipmonks live!) and a near-by marine nature reserve, from where we can head out on a boat trip to encounter wild dophins and whales - that's daughter and I extremely happy before we even get there :D

Oldest daughter arrives today - her half term is a week earlier than the schools and colleges around here, so she is down for 4 days and we will celebrate her birthday a few days early (she's a Halloween baby ) . Youngest is extremely excited, because now she has a wage coming in, she has been able to really push the boat out and - as she puts it - spoil her big sister the way her big sister has always spoilt her . So, oldest has some lovely presents waiting for her, and I am so looking forward to having her and her OH home for a few days.

Right - going to get cracking - having hair done this morning, after I drop youngest at theatre school, so as oldest is due to arrive at lunchtime, I'm going to get started on making a pot of leek soup ready for when she gets here, plus do a quick tidy up.

Much love to all of you, hope all are OK xxxx

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Wow, lucky lady with an unexpected break! But enjoy! You work hard enough the rest of the time! I thought chipmunks were American, obviously somebody brought a couple over! But so sweet, should get some good pix.
Birches are bendy trees, rarely break or uproot. However, short lived. A 40 year old birch is old! Which probably explains why 4/5 of mine died a few years ago. As far as I can work out, the garden was remodelled about then. I’ve since been de-modelling it!
No winds here yet, I think some tomorrow, though not really fierce. The sea might be interesting, though.
Right, suppose I’d better go and dress ( habit in the morning is to get up have breakfast, read paper/iPad, then dress and face the day!
Have a good day, one and all

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
@sparma

Birch trees have short lives - 40 years

That explains why my weaping birch gave up the ghost last year.

It was a beautiful focal point in my garden and, though it is still standing, naked like all the other trees are going to be in winter, I’m going to have to “deal with it” in the summer I guess :(

Glad everyone is safe from the ophelia. I heard in the mists of silly o’clock radio when half asleep, we are due the pleasure of a windy time again. Not sure, but I think this is called Dave??

Squishy hugs to all xxxx

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Photo of sad birch

Attachments

• 7F50540C-73E7-49C1-AB0C-47B60E538DF6.jpeg
    7F50540C-73E7-49C1-AB0C-47B60E538DF6.jpeg
    352.4 KB · Views: 356

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Hi 2 jays, nice to see you! Sorry about the birch, it must have bee beautiful. You can try chopping the top off and seeing what happens.
When we came here there were five birches in a group- impossible to mow around! So I took up the grass and underplanted with crocuses and narcissi. Then the birches died! I have just grassed some of that bed to make it easier to mow!
I’m allergic to birch pollen, these trees were to the north of the house, so not that bad. And there’s loads of other thing to be allergic to.
My avatar is allergic to 19 different things, including several grasses.
Must go, dinner ready!

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Evening all,

Spamar, thanks for the explanation! How are your leggies at the moment?

WooHoo Ann! You really deserve this as you have worked so hard ( and not just recently) :) I wish your OH success with his exams - although it sounds as if he will do well.

I hope you all have a great time with your eldest daughter. I know that youngest has been something of a pain - but the fact that she wants to repay her sister's generosity shows that her heart is in the right place.

How strange that Seamus has taken against the lambs!

Hubby and I had planned to visit a local Food Fair today but decided against it due to it being slightly blowy (we later found out that it had been cancelled for that reason). It clamed down around mid-day but it now blowing a hoolie. I do hope that everyone is safe and doesn't get any significant damage.

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Morning all,

Spamar, thanks for the info re birch tree's - the neighbours is only about 18 years old, so hopefully it is young enough to withstand the winds, and I can stop worrying that it's going to come crashing down on the fences and our pond ! Your weeping birch looks pretty even now 2jays - a lot smaller than the monster next door, which towers above the rooftops here.

It is, as Slugsta puts it, blowing a hoolie here too at the moment, Brian having well and truly arrived. Seamus keeps heading to the patio doors and standing there making low growly noises - but open the door and he turns tail and runs - if he wants the loo, I have to go outside with him too, to protect him from the big, bad wind :D (actually, can't say I blame him - can hear various bangs and crashes from outside as I type, sounds like Brian is having some fun!)

I also was surprised to read that chipmunks were on Fuerteventura, so I looked it up! The proper name is the Barbary Ground Squirrel, and they are usually found in Morocco, Algeria, and the Atlas Mountains. Its the old story of escaped pets breeding - a pair escaped in 1965 and in the 4 decades since, they have colonised the Island, partly due to idiots thinking that they were cute and actually importing and releasing more. An invasive species, they are not good for the natural flora and fauna and tourists are asked not to feed them - so I will content myself with photographs only if I come across any!

Shame about the food fair Slugsta, but better safe than risking issues with the storm, I guess.

Oldest arrived at lunchtime yesterday - so nice to see her and her OH :) Youngest insisted that as she won't be here for her birthday, she had to have her presents straight away - I think they were a big success, and youngest was bursting with delight at her big sisters pleasure, which was lovely. Her main present from her Dad and I was a Daisy London bracelet, one designed to raise funds for WWF, a delicate silver chain featuring a little polar bear . We had also gone halves with youngest to get her a set of apparently extremely desirable make up brushes (Bold Metals - anyone ever heard of 'em?) , which I though were stupidly expensive - however, seeing how thrilled she was when she opened them, I guess they were worth it. Youngest had also got her a tiny ceramic bear, a power bank for her phone and a smaller set of brushes, and OH and I had added a posh hair care set and a beautiful pen and ink sketch of a sun bear (she loves bears!). Add a large chocolate birthday cake, and it equalled one very happy oldest daughter.

We did a trip to the Grosvenor Garden Centre yesterday afternoon, as Oldest wanted to get a gift for her OH's Mum's birthday - the Christmas section is already taking over a large part of the place, and even if it is only October, it was hard not to find yourself feeling very 'Christmassy' as you wandered round. You could spend an absolute fortune there, very easily - though I am proud to say, I resisted tempatation!

Today, the plan is to head to Chester for the day - weather too awful for to do too much, and the rows and shopping centres should keep us out of the worst of the weather - and also, we want to visit Mil, as oldest wants to see her Nana. Dau is here till Wednesday, but both her Dad and I have to work Monday and Tuesday, so we have to make the most of today!

Hope you all have a peaceful rest of weekend, and manage to stay out of Brian's path! Take care, all xxxxx

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Hi everybody, that sounds like a really good start to the weekend, Ann. Hope the weather is not so bad for the rest of daus time with you. Thanks for the info on chipmunks. I didn’t get around to looking it up, you’ve saved me that job!
We really haven’t had much wind, thank goodness.
I had a day at home yesterday, I’ve started a new jigsaw! How time does slip away! However, I have a couple of jobs to do, song books, and ancestry stuff. Yes, I did all the song books, but the lady who runs the group, and the couple who lead the singing, both took their books home with them, so another 2 books to do from scratch!
When I was in Cornwall one of my cousins had done some more work on our mutual ancestors, and gave me a folder with a load of stuff in it. Looking at it, some is repeated, plus I want to get her family tree with all the info on it. And then I have to photocopy everything and send off 2 copies. It seems I’m the only one who can photocopy!
Right. Must go. iPad didn’t charge again last night, even though I checked before I went to bed! So am sitting in an easy chair and it’s not very comfortable.,
Have a good day!

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Evening all,

Ann, I'm glad your daughter enjoyed her birthday pressies. I must say that she is a very lucky girl!

Poor Sheamus is obviously all mouth and no trousers :p

Thanks for the explanation about the 'chipmunks'.

Spamar, it sounds as if you are the Photocopy Queen :)

We visited Mum today. She was not coughing like she was on Friday, although does still cough when she drinks. She is really not engaging with us now. Even when I was feeding her, there was no eye contact. In fact, she turned her head away once the food was in her mouth. No speech and only the slightest of smiles (maybe it was wind! :rolleyes:). I will admit that I am finding it hard . . .

No obvious wind damage here, although it has been blowy at times.

DollyBird16

Sep 5, 2017
Greater London
Evening all,

Ann, I'm glad your daughter enjoyed her birthday pressies. I must say that she is a very lucky girl!

Poor Sheamus is obviously all mouth and no trousers :p

Thanks for the explanation about the 'chipmunks'.

Spamar, it sounds as if you are the Photocopy Queen :)

We visited Mum today. She was not coughing like she was on Friday, although does still cough when she drinks. She is really not engaging with us now. Even when I was feeding her, there was no eye contact. In fact, she turned her head away once the food was in her mouth. No speech and only the slightest of smiles (maybe it was wind! :rolleyes:). I will admit that I am finding it hard . . .

No obvious wind damage here, although it has been blowy at times.
Sorry to hear about your Mum and clear lack of engagement. I can only imagine how it hurts. I wanted to reply to let you know I’m thinking of you. X

Sammie234

Oct 7, 2016
Shropshire
Strange things remembered hubby forgot our wedding anniversary yet remembers exactly the date he started working for firm he was at for the larger part of his career until he had to finish work.:) Question is though is he trying to tell me something:eek:

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Morning all,

Sorry I haven't been around - as per usual, mad busy!

I don't often do jigsaws, Spamar - but when I do, I can lose hours!

Slugsta, I'm so sorry that its so hard for you with your Mum at the moment. We can read and chat about what to expect with dementia, but even so when we personally have to deal with the different issues and effects, it still knocks us for six. Sending you massive {{{{{{{hugs}}}}}} - like Dollybird and everyone else, thinking of you xxxx

Sammie, after considering Mil a close friend, as well as Mum in law, for many years, when the dementia caused her to repeatedly tell me that she had 'never liked me' and she was so often abusive and unpleasant towards me, I used to wonder if her treatment of me was a reflection of what she had really always thought of me. Common sense tells me that the dementia is responsible, that she doesn't have the choice of who or what she remembers, or what form her delusions take - but it still makes me wonder and it still hurts - send ing you {{{{{hugs}}}} too x

We went to visit Mil on Sunday - found her still minus her teeth, the staff want to keep looking for a bit longer before the sort out a new set - she is so ingenius with her hiding places that they are convinced that they will turn up - eventually! Hard to understand her, but it seemed like she was in good spirits, though again, refusing to stand, walk or sit without the maximum assistance - and from what we could make out, the confabulations were are prevalent as they always are.

A new trick, that one of the staff told us about is that Mil has started to hide food about her person, rather than eat it. Apparently its happening a lot - the staff said that the evening before, she helped Mil get ready for bed, only to find that her bra and pockets were full of the liver and onions that had been served for tea! I wondered if it was because she was struggling to eat food like that, with the missing dentures, so she was hiding it?. But the staff assured me that its happening with all different foods, including things that would be very easy for her to eat without her teeth, so they don't think its that.

Not sure to what extent Mil knew who we all were, not even oldest dau, who she greeted warmly but I don't think she really recognised her as any sort of family, IYKWIM. She was full of giggles and pulling tongues and so on, very childlike, so I think in her head she was way back in her early youth. No issues at all about us leaving - told her we were going shopping, and she gave me a list of bread, butter and milk to pick up for her, but was otherwise quite happy for us to leave, Thankfully!

We then had a couple of hours in Chester, before heading back for a big family roast dinner. Barely saw oldest yesterday, as I was out all day with work - yesterday it was painting two lifesized lambs, Dai and Bethan (named by the students) who will be joining Baarbaara , the 'adult' sheep, and the beautifully painted planters that the students have done to create a mini sensory garden. Really nice day - the students love this type of work - but left me shattered as I barely sat down all day. Came homke to a gorgeous meal of taco's and enchilada's, served up with salad and all the trimmings, by eldest and her OH - it was a real treat and absolutely delicious!

Right - two meetings this morning, and another group this afternoon (different group, and more planter painting!).

Have a good day everyone xxxx