So bizarre !

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Squishy hug to all

Ann Mac - just a thought came into my head about dentures....

Hindsight - sometimes it’s useful....maybe....

Mum started “messing” with her dentures, hiding them, refusing to wear them. It was only later that we thought it was possibly because they didn’t fit properly anymore and were uncomfortable

Mum who was so proud of her appearance, who never took her teeth out ever, even when, years ago, they broke one time when she was cleaning them. She popped them back in, and wore them like that for over 8 years, until I sorted new ones out for her once I “took over”

Just a thought that mil’s dentures maybe getting uncomfortable due to shrinkage of her gums.

IF you decide to go down the route of getting new ones..... good luck. I struggled for ages sorting new teeth for mum until I could accept mum without teeth

Holding hands tight xxxxx

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Afternoon all,

Thanks for your good wishes, it does help to know I am not alone.

Ann, I'm glad that your visit to MIL went off without problems. The hiding food is bizarre but we know that is nothing unusual with MIL!

I'm also glad that you were well fed when you got home from work :) I'm very find of TexMex food but OH doesn't like anything spicy, so I don't get the proper stuff often. It's one of the things I like to do if our son is here for a few days (but he has confined himself to brief visits recently due to pressure of work).

I don't go jigsaw puzzles there days. I went through a phase of doing them a lot but I lose all sense of time and stay too long. Then pay for it with increased back pain afterwards :( I do enjoy crosswords and Sudoku puzzles but have to be careful not to do too much otherwise the arthritis in my hands/thumbs flares up. Do you think I should just be shot now? :rolleyes:

Sending big, squishy (((hugs))) to all

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
If you think you’re ready for shooting now, Slugsta, what about the rest of us?
I spent part of this morning talking to a friends mother ( well, I did get a word in edgeways!). She regaled me with all her problems, I felt quite well afterwards! She is 83; btw!
Glad all went well, Ann. Let’s hope it stays that way! My spine shudders at the thought of liver down my bra, though!
I have a coffee shop that does food with a Moroccan twist at lunch time, which makes a nice change! Though I notice the Christmas menu is strictly British! I’m going to the local panto there, they’re organising lunch beforehand for those who want it. I’ve just re-arranged my dental appt so I can do lunch!
My jigsaws are usually done in short bites these days, haven’t had a late night yet, well I have but not jigsaw related!

Well ,was gong to light the wood burner, but no kindling indoors, so will leave electric on. Just can’t be bothered.
Point of interest, dug up a load of crocus and narcissi last spring. Left them in the shed, not in bags. Last week, found that mice had eaten all the crocus, but none of the narcissi! So what in narcissi that mice don’t like?
Unfortunately for the mice, two are now ex-mice.
Cheers!

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands

Attachments

• 4F9831B2-228A-4DE7-8F4B-2BD580811256.jpeg
    4F9831B2-228A-4DE7-8F4B-2BD580811256.jpeg
    154.7 KB · Views: 361

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Squishy hug to all

Ann Mac - just a thought came into my head about dentures....

Hindsight - sometimes it’s useful....maybe....

Mum started “messing” with her dentures, hiding them, refusing to wear them. It was only later that we thought it was possibly because they didn’t fit properly anymore and were uncomfortable

Mum who was so proud of her appearance, who never took her teeth out ever, even when, years ago, they broke one time when she was cleaning them. She popped them back in, and wore them like that for over 8 years, until I sorted new ones out for her once I “took over”

Just a thought that mil’s dentures maybe getting uncomfortable due to shrinkage of her gums.

IF you decide to go down the route of getting new ones..... good luck. I struggled for ages sorting new teeth for mum until I could accept mum without teeth

Holding hands tight xxxxx

I hate seeing her without teeth, 2jays - but I did wonder if she was hiding them because they are uncomfortable for her, and I also have been thinking that if she did get a new set, would she not just hide them as well? I may not like seeing her without her gnashers and I know, that like your Mum, pre-dementia she would have been mortified had anyone seen her without her teeth - but that was then, and this is now - and now, it just doesn't bother her at all. In fact, on Sunday, when she repeated something 3 times and OH still couldn't understand what she was saying, he joked with her that she should try telling him again when she found her teeth. She looked suprised, called him a 'cheeky bu99er' and told him she DID have her teeth in - and she peeled back her top lip to display her pink gums - but she was obviously convinced her teeth were there. So - you are right - we need to think hard about going down the new dentures route, because the priority now is her comfort. No point distressing her with new dentures if in reality, she is happier without them. Thank you xxxxx

Lol, Slugsta - the last two work days have seen me on my feet and on the go, all day - the state of me when I got home each evening, I definitely needed shooting! Youngest bought me a long hot water bottle - odd looking thing, about 3 feet long and narrow, with a knitted cover - but its brillaint for wrapping round my aching back and easing the discomfort :)

Spamar, I'm sure I've read that daffodil and narcissus bulbs are poisonous - maybe the mice have read that too!

Another long couple of days ahead. I've broken the news of the upcoming holiday to all my groups, and have arranged stuff for them for while I'm away, so all good. We bought 3 cabin cases last night - for just week, we can fit all we need in them, will buy toiletries at the resort and sun cream at duty free on the way in and avoid taking a large case and doing the endless wait for it to be unloaded at the airport. Still can't believe we are going! Meanwhile, I have an admin day today (with masses and masses to do) and tomorrow I am at a nature reserve with a new group for a day of habitat maintenance with a wildlife charity. Friday, I have another group starting a five week course at another nature reserve, and I believe we will be pond dipping! My job is never boring!

Amy, Red, Celia, Anne, Lemony and everyone else - think of you all and hoping you are all OK xxxx Love to everyone xxx

RedLou

Jul 30, 2014
Well, I definitely like the idea of us getting a hunk to mix our drinks for a Bizarrite get-together. Honestly, one day I'll persuade you lot!
Glad to hear of your holiday, Ann. Sympathise with the aches and pains of you, S and S. I have a distinctly sticky sacro-iliac joint these days and I'm ignoring it and hoping it will go away. Ha, ha.
Our news is: after another scare, another scan was looking normal, so we're now at week 17.5 and we know that if all goes well it will be a little girl. :) Daughter is also at a potentially huge crossroads for her career with some potentially exciting developments, so cross your fingers for us. Barry Norman (remember him?) once said to me that he always thought he'd stop worrying about his daughters when they reached adulthood and it was a shock to realise that he was always going to do it. I now know just what he meant!
Love to all.

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
RedLou, sending masses of healthy snd hopeful thoughts to your daughter!

I'm fine, just a little busy, but in a good way; a few days out of town with my fabulous aunt. All is well.

Love to you all and happy travel wishes to Ann and the Mac family!!

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
I’m game, Red, would look forward to it!
Hope everything goes well with dau. Is this baby your first granddaughter? OH came complete with family, so know nothing about those type of feelings. But I’m glad that 2 of his 3 are good friends, even though they’re a fair distance away ( 1 1/4 and 3 hours).
Yes, I remember Barry Norman. Hate to ask, but is he still alive?
Amy, enjoy your time with your Aunt!
Ann, you make me breathless with all your activities! You deserve a holiday. Enjoy!
JM, hope the juggling is going well!
Hope everybody has a good day tomorrow!

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Evening all,

Mmm, some of those shots look good - and so does the barman :D

Ann, I'm glad that you are still enjoying your job, you certainly never have a dull moment (other than the admin!). When are your OH's exams?

Red, I am so glad that things are going well with the babe :) I think we actually worry more about our offspring when they are grown up. At least when they are little we know where they are and what they are up to!

Spamar, I'm glad that you have enjoyable events in the offing. Hubby and I went to something at our local theatre last night, not realising that it was aimed at children (well, it didn't start until 7.45pm and the bumph didn't mention children!). We lasted 20 minutes until we left :rolleyes:

Mum was slightly more responsive today - but it really is only a matter of degree. She started to get a runny nose and a sneezing fit. Which was rather unpleasant as I was feeding her cake at the time :eek: The GP saw her this morning, as he was there anyway, and confirmed that there is nothing new. It is just a case as keeping her as comfortable and happy as we can for as long as it takes. . .

It has been a beautiful day today. The temps hit 20C and the sea looked gawjus :)

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Morning all,

I would LOVE us all to get together - hunky barman there or not (though if he is, I won't complain :D ) it would be fab to meet up with at least some of you!

Red, I am so pleased that things are going well with your dau and her baby daughter :) Fingers firmly crossed for both baby's safe arrival and your daughters career change xxxx

As for stopping worrying about your kids when they grow - not a chance! In some respects, you worry more, I think.

Amy - have a fab time with your fab Aunt xxxxx

{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}} Slugsta - hoping that your Mum continues to be comfy and content and peaceful xxxx

Spamar, after yesterday, I am wishing that I was jetting off on holiday today, tbh! Faced with masses of admin to wade through (as always) myself and fellow Welsh team mates suddenly found ourselves being included in organising an event that would be extremly time consuming and difficult to get off the ground in the time allowed, and we all went into flat spin panic, as we are all in the same boat in terms of being booked months in advance with our own time-consuming projects. Our line manager was unable to join in the phone conferences, due to travelling at the time, and I ended the day feeling very hard done too and more than slightly stressed, as I had no idea how I possibly could do what I'd been told was required. We had, obviously, tried to explain this throughout the day, but our concerns didn't seem to register. I got hardly any of my planned admin done, have tossed and turned all night, woken with a banging headache through worrying - and then this morning found an email from my line manager saying don't worry - no way will we have to take on what we have been told we have to take on, and that she will sort it. I feel stupid, because she is so incredibly supportive and knows how hard we work, so I should have realised that she wouldn't stand for so much additional work being added to our load. So, with the bulk of my admin still to be done, and a 5 hour stint doing wildlife habitat maintenance ahead of me, with an hours driving either side of that, I am starting the day on about 3 hours broken sleep and feeling like a wet rag - and all for worrying over something that I should have realised would be sorted!

Roll on the 10th of next month, when we fly out!

Right - off for a shower, and to get ready for a long day in the Wilds of Wales! Take care all xxxxx

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Enjoy the Wilds of Wales! I’ve done a few days scrub bashing in my time! One of my last jobs was, with a group, measuring accretion on a salt marsh. Mud pack free! Had to take OH ( it was residential) but everybody kept an eye out for him and he coped really well.
Iv3 got neighbour in this morning for coffee, quick flip to supermarket as I forgot to buy puddings ( yoghurt and the like) then out to dinner this evening. Nothing special, just one of the local cafes does these occasional dinners. I think the theme is N African.
I would suggest Chester.. I know it’s nothing new to Ann and JM, but they’re the busy ones. Plus, as you know, I don’t walk very well, and it’s smaller, also somewhere I haven’t been and would like to see. Or is it just too squashed and busy? Plus we have to fit it around work, holidays and babies!
Have a good day, lovely people!

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Chester would probably work for us. Although it is a long drive, my BIL and his family live there, so we could see them too.

However, Mum currently very poorly, so can't really think very far ahead at the moment.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I'm still here.

Sorry to hear your mum is so poorly Slugsta and you are finding it so hard to visit. Re theatre trips my boss took his youngish children to the Rocky Horror Show, not realising the content was fairly adult.

Ann - your holiday plans sound fab - and having had years when you couldn't do things like that so glad you are getting the opportunity. I tend to think about work if I wake up in the night, but think at busy times of year everyone in my job does. Sounds like oldest's visit was good as well.

It is hard to take when the PWD turns on you, at one stage in the 3 months my mum lived here, she turned to me and said you've always been bossy, when I was trying to get her to do things, now I realise it was the dementia, and she was the one that was always bossy in reality.

Red - glad all is well with dau.

I've still got a bit of lingering lurgy, although got out on bike last Friday for the first time in a fortnight. Had a near crash as was on a steep descent, car coming the other way, braked, road was wet and had leaves, back wheel locked up and bike started 'S ing' . Luckily car had stopped and I released brakes and got through gap (For Ann's benefit - from Google maps road names - had turned into Glyon Lane just past Brymbo sign, past the end of top road and bottom road to descend to opposite the entrance to Alyn waters and it was on the final straight descent before the lane turns left parallel with dual carriageway). More later (hopefully -son to fencing now)

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Would come to a meetup, but at the moment, Chester would mean driving past mums old bungalow...

We drove past the bungalow on the way to Ireland meet up... I just became a soggy wreck and 1J had to take over the driving....

Maybe next year... or even 6 months time. Sorry just now it would be too painful

Solihull is nice :)

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
2Jays - there are plenty of routes to Chester, but I assume that the whole area is likely to remind you of your mum

At this stage I will point out that my next completely free weekend is 28th January! Although Feb and early March are pretty quiet for us, no bike racing.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
2Jays - there are plenty of routes to Chester, but I assume that the whole area is likely to remind you of your mum

At this stage I will point out that my next completely free weekend is 28th January! Although Feb and early March are pretty quiet for us, no bike racing.

Brain not working properly at the moment. Coming up to 1 year since mum died

But you are right, there are other routes to Chester, I just didn’t think about them :)

28 Jan sounds good to me - apart from the possibility of nasty weather.. I’m soft, I don’t “do” cold :D