So bizarre !

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Good grief, must have been a bad strop! Think I'm glad I never had children. Plus none of the steps actually lived with us, though two were very frequent visitors. Tend not to have strops then!
Hope she's better for rest of hols!
Went for coffee with a friend this am, unburdened to her! Then shopping, now slumped in front of TdF, trying to cool off.
Once again the weather is hot, sun, little more wind than yesterday. Heavy rain has been forecast, but no sign of it yet.
Cheers, all.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
It was an almighty strop - I was at work as well so didn't go home. The fall out may last some time.

TdF - looking forward to the stage into Serre Chevalier (tomorrow) and then the next days starting in Briancon, have cycled quite a bit of the routes (BC - before children) so nice to see them rising familiar roads.

Son tripped at school today, they insisted he had banged his head so had to go home, OH asked if he could go back into school if OK and they said yes so kept him at home for an hour and sent him back, so another couple of hours work he has missed.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Sorry to hear about the strops juggles.... so hard to deal with, could say it gets to a point it feels almost impossible to deal with.... but deal with them we seem to ... honestly....It does get better.... less strops. I can't promise no strops.... but the time between them is longer....

Squishy hug to slugsta... and sky cat.... and to Annmac and everyone xxxxxxx

ps - my daughter had a hug from SIR Bradley yesterday. Ok so she works for his sponser... but even so :)

Last edited:

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
While in town yesterday I went into our local coach firm....it's all this talk about holidays that's a tad unsettling!
Got talking, as you do. Found out that if you want to go to a certain area and there's a coach going that way that's not full of passengers, they only charge you ' petrol money' in my case a bit less than what it would cost me in petrol to drive there! So maybe an easy way for 4 days in Cornwall! I'll have to be picked from the hotel, but it's only 7 miles away! And although the pickup is at the bottom of my road, it's still to far for me to walk, especially with a bag, but I guess neighbour will do that one! It's got to be better than a 6 hour drive!
And I've considered national buses, trains and planes! You just never know unless you ask!

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Afternoon,

Spamar, clever you! I would not have thought of asking a coach company (other than National Express). It sounds as if it could be a good solution for you.

Jm, I remember how upsetting and exhausting the strops can be :( (((Hugs)))

Sky-cat is quite bright today. She was very 'off' yesterday and I feared the worst. I guess this is how it is going to be.

Mum was very 'with it' when we visited yesterday, it is the best she has been for some time. She was clearly getting frustrated when she realised she was not saying what she wanted to - I think it might be easier for her when she is less aware :(

We have had a couple of distant thunderstorms over the past few days, temperatures are up and down. At least the gardens have had some water!

Love to all.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Best ideas gone, Slugsta. Phoned cousin this morning to check dates - he's meant to be in Normandy playing jazz! Obviously his wife will be with him!! Leaving the day before I would arrive and coming back the day before I go. What rotten timing.The only light is that it might be cancelled! But I won't know until a few weeks/days before!
Oh well, next year maybe!

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Spamar
Have you tried https://uk.megabus.com/
Just put required journeys in and see what comes up with.
You have to play around a bit with days, watch mass movement for football matches etc..
I've had Manchester to London return for £2

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Thanks Nitram. Never heard of the site. I tried it. The only place it would depart was our county town, some 20 miles away and the only place I could go was Silverstone! Now, I've no objection to going there, but it wasn't the intention! I'll try again over the weekend.
I did enquire about National Express, but the closest pick up point is 15 miles away, so not very convienient to have to get a lift or taxi first. The local bus company would be much more convenient! I think they are running another holiday to Cornwall in September, I'll see if they have a spare seat then!
Much as I love living here, it's sometimes a nuisance! I enquired about a plane once, about£250 from our nearest airport, via Manchester! £65 from Gatwick to Newquay.
It was much easier when I worked in London, drive to Heathrow after work, have a coffee, hop on a plane, home by 7:00. Monday morning, hop on plane, coffee and paper provided, drive to work, apologise for being 10 mins late (08:10)
Those were the days!
Monday I pick up some stronger painkillers, so maybe I'll feel capable of driving. I often split the journey anyway, to see an elderly lady in Sturminster Newton. She's 103!
Sorry, rambling again!

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Morning everyone,

I'm so sorry I haven't been around for ages - I have just been so busy, with work and family and house, that I have honestly not had time to breath lately!

So sad to read about Sky Cat, Slugsta - I hope that both you and she are enjoying the cuddles and affection, I agree that's the very kindest way forward xxxxxx

I completely understand feeling like it might be easier for your Mum when she is 'less aware', too :( Mil is now completely oblivious when she has a toilet accident - the bed being wet doesn't bother her at all, she doesn't question it or get upset by it, and its the same if she has an accident during the day. When I think of her fury, confusion and upset, when that happened when she lived with us, this loss of awareness is so much kinder to her - its a small comfort in the midst of this horrible illness xxx

Spamar, that appointment sounds like it was not good. I really hope that the physio and changes to meds help to keep you more pain-free than you have been lately, hun x So sorry that the Cornwall trip is off for you - such a shame after you had found out about the deal with the coaches - can you not go a few days/a week or two later?

JM - you have my sympathy - that must have been one hell of a strop :( Its eased for me here, dau and I are getting on well and I don't have much grief from her when its just me and her, but OH and dau do tend to clash a lot at the moment, and I get a bit (OK - a lot) fed up of being 'piggy in the middle'. It was the same when oldest girl was at this age, and I don't think its eased off till oldest went to uni! Dau has a tendency to take offence at anything OH says (even when he really hasn't said anything at all wrong) and say something rude - and unfortunately, OH has always been a 'reacter' rather than a 'responder' (in other words, he reacts with anger at her cheek, rather than giving a measured response!) and that makes it worse. To be fair though, having been the target of dau's teen tantrums during the run up to the exams, and during them, I think I turned into a bit of a reacter myself - there were a few occasions when I went out of my way to do something nice for dau (as you did for yours by doing her hair) and she then had a melt down aimed at me, I completely lost the plot and the fall out was horrible. As OH has said, its not that he expects effusive thanks from dau when he plays taxi driver and puts his own plans on hold to run her here, there and everywhere, for example - but then, he doesn't expect to get a mouthful of abuse either! You just have to weather this stage, it does end - though that is a lot easier said than done!

2jays - hope your daughter enjoyed her hug :)

I feel like I haven't stopped for the last week or so here! The flat roof over dau's bedroom needed replacing, it has to be done every 10 years or so and it was overdue. We had replaced the one at the front of the house, about 2 years ago, but getting the other done kept getting 'put off', as these things do. OH wasn't impressed with the job done by 'professionals' last time, so decided to do it himself - and there is no doubt that he not only did a much better job, but that it also saved us a small fortune (about £1000, in total!) - but, as these jobs do, it created mess and inconvenience and a lot of time was spent trying to keep on top of the chaos.

On top of that, work was frantic, and I had son's graduation in the middle of it all. Monday morning saw me out with one of my groups, 'bracken bashing' with a local wildlife charity at a Nature reserve - that was fab, the group loved it, it was a beautiful day and we all had a really good time :) Then it was drop the gang off, back to mine with one of them, a quick wash and change and something to eat, then the two of us went off to Birmingham for a gathering of fellow staff and young disabled people from all over the UK - we do these sessions about 3 times a year, its a chance for the young people to give us feedback on what we have done, and to plan with them what we are doing next - its actually a really informative, interesting and enjoyable event. We have an informal chat over a meal at the hotel the day we arrive, then the next day is spent on interactive sessions where the young people have a chance to let us know what we have done well, what we have done not so well - and where we can do better. I love the fact that the organisation I work for listens to the people we support and actually acts on what they say!

We got home around 6.30 on Tuesday night, then Wednesday it was son's graduation, so an early start as we had to be there for 9a.m.. That was a fab day - I am so, so proud of him :) He is still very shell-shocked by having acheived a first, bless him - he still can't quite believe it :) The ceremony was really nice, the Chancellor of the uni had a very laid back and humerous approach, and it was clear that the students really liked her - time and again we watched students go up and rather than a handshake, it was a hug - one young lady got half way down the red carpet and 'dabbed' at the chancellor - who didn't bat an eyelid, just 'dabbed' right back :) And if the students wanted, when they went up to collect there degree, she would stop, they would point out their family in the audience and she would pose with the student whilst proud parents took a photograph. Afterwards, we went back to son and his GF's house, where I met a new member of the family - my first Granddog, lol. They have given a home to a little fellow called Patch - he is 11, but in really good health, used to being in a busy family where the owners work (though son and his GF work shifts that rarely clash, so Patch is never along for more than a couple of hours) and he is adorable. Son and GF very deliberately wanted an older dog that they could give a happy few years to, and Patch seems to have settled incredibly well. So, after a time spent fussing a cooing over the little fellow, we then all went out for a really gorgeous celebratory meal, before OH, dau and I headed home.

Thursday was another day at a Nature reserve, 'bracken bashing' and cutting back hedgerows in the morning, and a wildlife walk in the afternoon. Another really nice, but really tiring day - my group absolutely loved it, and it looks like we'll have quite a bit of stuff to do with with this wildlife charity over the next few months - much to the groups delight, lol. Back home for 4, quick wash and change and OH and I went to visit Mil.

We walked in to find her obviously being 'difficult' with a member of staff, but as soon as she saw OH, beaming smile, and whatever was upsetting her was forgotten. It wasn't a bad visit, but you could feel she was 'bubbling' under the surface - a few snappy responses and a slight aggression there :( At one point she threatened to 'choke' me if I 'repeated a word' of what she was about to say, before she went on to a completely banal confabulation about some woman who had insisted that Mil was called something different (thats the gist of it, hard to follow her, tbh). I noticed that even with OH there, she didn't seem to know my name - usually she knows me when he is around too - and at one point she asked OH where his 'Mum had gone, with those two bags?'. A lot of expecting to me to supply the names of people she started to talk about and definite edging towards being cross when I couldn't put a name to 'that chap you met at the hop last week - he had a bandage'! He was just one of many characters she came up with during a series of confabulations, that often trailed off into confusion as she couldn't follow the tale she was telling herself. Leaving was OK-ish - a bit of wanting to come with us, but not too bad. Most of the residents seemed a bit antsy to be honest, though I guess that it was just that time of day?

Friday - a conference call with work to start the day, then off out early to pick up shopping and some more holiday euro's. OH and I sneaked in a breakfast/brunch out , which was really nice. Whilst eating, I told OH that I was a bit cheesed off that on arriving home on Tuesday night, I'd ended up having to cook a meal for the family. I know he had been finishing off the roof, and was tired - but so was I. He agreed it was really unfair and when we got home, both he and dau got stuck in and between us we pitched in and did all the housework - first time in nearly 2 weeks that the house has looked like a home and not a bombsite!. Later, we all sorted the evening meal together, before collapsing in front of the TV - mainly to doze off in my case, lol!

Today, we are off to Coventry to visit oldest and her BF, before they head off to Italy on Tuesday. Tomorrow I'm hoping for a zoo day, with a visit in to see Mil on the way home. Next week, Manchester on Monday, then two days in South Wales fror the Royal Welsh Show with work - I am supposed to be organising another day at the Nature reserve for Thursday, but I think I'm going to bail on that one, to put in some time with admin - I'll rearrange for the week after! Though I think I have 2 or 3 meetings that week too!

Its 18 days, 7 hours and around 17 minutes till we fly off on holiday to Rhodes - not that I'm counting or anything :p

Much love to you all, as always xxxx

Last edited:

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Oh my goodness, Ann. I don't know how to keep up! Glad everything is sorting itself out, and you are definitely not counting down to holidays!!
I like the term grand dog! I shall try to remember to use it! I've got 2, one of whom is coming tomorrow with its owners. Must remember to book lunch at one of our fav pubs! Most pubs around here tolerate dogs in bar area at least, too many holidaymakers to do otherwise!
GP phoned yesterday evening saying she has put in prescription for one of my drugs, I think the painkiller one. Though she didn't say stop taking the paracetamol! It's been quite bad this week, can't think why. Maybe cos now I know I've got something, rather than thinking I've just got a sore shoulder or whatever.
Nipped off to the shop this morning, met three people I knew which delayed me somewhat.
Well, the rain started at 06:10 this morning, but stopped already. Forecast a bit behind the times!
This morning must tidy up, shower ( easier to do in the day when things gave loosened up a bit, except sometimes!) finish laundry and watch TdF later.

Slugsta, how's Sky cat?
Everybody, have as good a weekend as possible.
Cheers!

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Evening all,

Crikey Ann, I feel tired just reading about your exploits! It sounds as if you are at full-pelt morning, noon and night. I know you enjoy your work, but it does sound as if you put in far more time than you are paid for :(

I'm glad your son's graduation went well. The chancellor sounds lovely - but I confess that I don't know what being 'dabbed' entails! :eek: How lovely that you now have a grand-dog to enjoy :)

Spamar, I'm sorry that you are in so much pain :( I do hope that new painkillers help. People are often advised to carry on taking paracetamol alongside stronger stuff as it can help add to the analgaesic effect (((hugs)))

Mum was on good form again yesterday - she told one of the carers that she had just been to the shop to buy some chocolate (I am told it's always chocolate) :rolleyes:

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Thanks for that, Slugsta, I was wondering what the new tabs were meant to replace! I never think of these things when I'm on an unexpected phone call!
My lovely stepdau, husband and dog coming up today, looking forward to it. Going out for a late lunch - kept forgetting to book it!

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
Absent friends....

Hello Ann and friends...

Sorry I haven't been able to catch up on here for ages and ages, it seems, as I've been preoccupied elsewhere, with small battles on several fronts. But I often think of Ann, still heroically taking on so much, and MIL who's Dementia journey has been so similar to my husband, Rob's.
So it wasn't a surprise to find you, Ann, still exhaustedly juggling about ten balls in the air and MIL still confabulating as confusedly as ever.

It was also good to see that you'll be having a holiday Ann, and not surprisingly counting the hours!

Rob's new( ish) Care Home residence has been struggling with a busted lift that they relied on, with the knock on effect of exhausted carers and frazzled management.. His GP has prescribed heavy sedation for poor Rob, in order to ensure it's possible to give him personal care, which he uses all his remaining strength to resist... I don't think there's any alternative really... He could hurt a carer, or me when I'm there. Confabulation has stopped as he can rarely manage to put words together meaningfully.

Last edited:

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Morning all,

Spamar, I bet Slugsta is right about the tablets, but hopefully you can check with the chemist to make sure when you collect them :) I really hope that whatever the combination may or may not be, it eases the pain for you xxx We've had a combination of sunshine and showers too - it sems the same everywhere. Yesterday I was sat on the balcony of my daughters flat, enjoying blazing sunshine - then 5 minutes later, the heavens opened with an absplute downpour! The forecast is telling me that the forecast for today gives sunshine and temps of up to 19 in Chester, with a light shower due there this morning - and I'm sat here typing, just a dozen or so miles away, with the rain bouncing off the ground!

Slugsta, Mil's shopping trips are nearly always for clothes, with occasional forays into a food shop for 'something for the lads tea'. What amazes me is how often she is sure she has driven to these numerous shops and other outings that she goes on (or thinks she goes on) - she has never driven in her life, not even (so she told me, years and years ago) tried sitting behind the wheel. I really don't understand why she has this conviction that she drives now - its very odd :confused:

Dabbing - oh boy - hard to explain! Its a sort of gesture, I guess, done in fun or in dance - good old wiki says "Dabbing, or the dab, is a simple dance move or playful gesture, in which a person drops their head into the bent crook of a slanted arm, while raising the opposite arm in a parallel direction but out straight. The move looks similar to someone sneezing into the "inside" of the elbow" - I'll add a pic at the end, but I see it all the time - my dau (youngest) does it, and I see it a lot with the other youngsters at her theatre group especially - one of those fads, I guess, thankfully, a harmless one :)

I hope Sky Cat is OK?

R Anne, I am so sorry to read that things are so tough for you and Rob :( Why on earth is it taking them so long to sort the lift? They must realise the impact its having. Poor Rob - horrible as it is, sedation beats the horrendous anger and anxiety, and its not just that he could hurt someone else (though, of course that matters) its the potential for him to be injured if he is extremely agitated. Mil sustained (and still oftain sustains) numerous injuries when she is in a fury - mostly minor, thank goodness, but given how fragile her skin is, and with the diabetes and her susceptability to infections, even the smallest of the skin tears she regularly gets from banging on doors or hitting out, could quite easily become infected and develop into something serious. Her arms are just a patchwork of bruises and tears - and I do worry that one day she will do herself a far more serious injury. There are times, especially when I'm occasionally told something that confirms that the sort of melt downs I was used to seeing when she lived here are still occuring, that I think that sedation would be a far kinder option for her. Sending massive {{{{{{hugs}}}}}} to you and Rob, and hoping that the situation improves for you both soon xxxx

Had a lovely day at oldest daughters yesterday - she and her OH cooked us a sort of mexican platter, with quorn chicken fajitas and veggie enchiladas, plus fresh advocado, salad, onion rings and garlic mushrooms - really lovely, and I was so stuffed that I ended up only being able to manage a small sandwhich for tea later! Off to the zoo with youngest today - hoping that the female spectacled bear is feeling a little more relaxed about motherhood now, and that we get at least a glimpse of her new baby. A couple of other new arrivals at the zoo too, that I'm hoping to spot.

Hope everyone has a good rest of weekend - Red, JM, Amy, Maureen and everyone else, love to you all

And here's a pic of 'dabbing' for Slugsta :D

Attachments

• 2b8209efba1c58ef3da003959545db94.jpg
    2b8209efba1c58ef3da003959545db94.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 590

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Sorry I've been absent - I'm sure you all know it is down to juggling

Today is big red packing day, and then I'll see you on the other side! (ie I hope to post from France)

OH was 50 on Tuesday - we had a BBQ last Friday - in torrential rain! we rigged up some groundsheets and the gazebo over the patio and so son could cook and the hardy could sit outside. My friend texted me last night to say the wettest BBQ she had ever been to but somehow it didn't matter - some neighbours came late as they were waiting for downpour to ease off to actually get across the road (we are youngsters among our close group of neighbours, most of them are 20 years older - we realise we are very lucky to have a close group of neighbours and I do rely on them at times)

Dau has been better for a bit - she worked her socks off to make food and clean house for party.

Slugsta - wishing skycat well, Ann - granddog brought a tear to my eye, definitely means your son had left home for good Spamar - hope yoru painkillers are working

R-Anne - I do follow your other posts, sorry Rob needs such sedation - hope you are managing to make small progress with paperwork

2Jays - I've tried to reply to your PM but your inbox is full

Last edited:

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Afternoon all,

Ann, thanks for the description and image of 'dabbing'. It's a sure sign that even my son is too old to be aware of these trends! (Mind you, I haven't asked him, so I could be wrong about that.)

Isn't it strange that MIL always thinks she can drive, despite never even having a lesson?! Thank goodness she does not have access to a car :eek:

How long it is until you head off on your long-awaited holiday?

Jm, we do all understand that juggling takes so much of your time and energy. I'm glad your daughter has been better recently and hope it continues. Bon Voyage.

RAnne, I'm so sorry that Rob is still so agitated and distressed :( Dementia really is a vile disease :mad:

Spamar, how are you?

Sky-cat is doing well and is currently asking why her food bowl is empty. As I am encouraging her to eat as much as possible I guess I need to remedy that!

Mum has been much quieter on our past couple of visits but still seems to be happy enough.

Weather here is very mixed, hope it will be better for friend's party on Saturday!

Last edited:

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Afternoon ladies, hope you are all in fine fettle!
Eventually got the new pills. Slightly worried cos I've already some of the side effects before taking the pills! One a day for a week, then 2 a day. I'm on Day 2! Apart from sleeping longer than usual this afternoon, no ill effects yet!
Two years to the day since OH died, doesn't seem that long. This morning the neighbours came in, as per usual, then I went to nearest RSPB centre and bought a load of Christmas cards - they're on offer at the moment - and had a coffee. I do know some people who work there but none on today. Then I moved on to have lunch at a local attraction, but couldn't find anywhere to park! Without walking too far, that is. So went to local pub, where I know the landlady, and they do some cracking food! Back home to collapse in a chair. Then fell asleep!
Over the last few days I have had visits from one of OHs carers and his wife, stepdau and family, great friend and her husband, dau and two grand children. I'm being looked after! And very appreciative about it as well!
Hope the packing and the journey goes well, JM, and glad dau is OK at the moment.
Slugsta, hope Sky cat is as comfortable as poss.
Ann, Red and others, hope things are OK, and going well.