Explaining Alzheimer's to teenagers

Ansosch

May 2, 2024
Do you have any advice on how I can best explain the disease to my teenagers? Do you know of any resources that might be interesting for them? So far I've only found material for younger children.

I have the impression that they find it difficult to understand what Alzheimer's does to their grandma and how they can deal with it. I look forward to your advice! :)

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Do you have any advice on how I can best explain the disease to my teenagers? Do you know of any resources that might be interesting for them? So far I've only found material for younger children.

I have the impression that they find it difficult to understand what Alzheimer's does to their grandma and how they can deal with it. I look forward to your advice! :)
i have some teenage grandchildren and just keep it simple. they dont need to know chapter and verse of it. mine know that his memory is not so good. that he struggles with some things and we dont hide things. if hes going out, they see that i get him ready, shoes socks coat tidy. they take their lead from me and just do the same. they know he can mix them up and just accept it and maybe correct him. i think if you dont make it a big thing, my teenagers just accept and get on with it. if they want to research or find out more then there are publications on this site. i would explain as and when needed but they dont really need to know everything.