So bizarre !

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Hi everyone,

Between work, finishing the clear up after decorating, a new flat roof going on at the back of the house, and dau's swimming and up-coming show, been so slammed this week that I have neglected everything else - including the Bizarrites - so sorry xxxxx

Spamar, we had gorgeous days here on Wenesday and Thursday (According to the guage in my car, we got up to 32 on Thursday!) - but yesterday brought very much cooler weather and rain - I much prefer the heat! Looking a little brighter today, but definitely not as warm as I'd like.

Slugsta, have fingers and toes crossed for Sky-cat - awful when our fur family members are not well :( I really hope that the next results are good news, and that you can start to get Sky o the mend xxxxx I don't know if I would have been so forgiving over the kitchen, but can totally understand why you feel like there is no point in battling on. Hope the wardrobe fitting is completely hassle-free for you xxx

Flipping heck, JM - that was some fall! Glad he is OK, but what a fright for you all xxxxx

Red, have been thinking of you and your daughter - I hope you are both OK and coping. Sending big {{{{{{{hugs}}}}}

Amy, Celia, Maureen, R-Anne and everyone else - sending you all love and best wishes, hope you are all OK xxxx

Monday and Tuesdays were a combination of long days at the laptop and a couple of meetings. Wednesday saw me off to S.Wales again - the travelling is a pain, but its good to catch up with the rest of the Welsh team, and we were all really proud to be told that we are the only area team in the UK to have completely smashed all of our yearly targets - 3 months early! Big changes afoot in work, all good, but a lot of hard work ahead. The journey home was a nightmare - trains ran on time but from Cardiff to home (nearly 3 long hours) the carriage was also occupied by several people who had been to some sort of work related 'thing' in Cardiff, and who were possibly the most irritating bunch - EVER! One chap intermittently wore headphones and sang along with whatever he was listening to, both loudly and extremely badly! Another chap (in his 20's, I think) seemed to think that he was so witty and interesting, that everyone in the carriage must want to hear what he had to say, so he basically shouted non-stop - he was, in fact, totally witless and very obnoxious. And his language wasn't particularly nice most of the time. However, his workmates seemed to think he was the bee's knee's, so added to the tone-deaf singers' warbling, and this chaps non-stop mouth action, we also had a gaggle of women screeching with laughter at him. I got off the train with a banging headache and in a really foul mood. Too tired to bother with even a meal. I made a sandwich and went to bed!

Thursday, I took a day off from work, as with the travelling the day before, I'd already over-shot my hours. I spent most of the morning trying to get on top of the usual chaos left from decorating and stupidly doing battle with the inevitable dust and debris from the work on the roof. Just before lunch time, I decided that i really must get on top of the holiday shopping, so hit just one shop, and bought shorts, a couple of summery dresses, beach cover-ups, beach towels and t shirts (all chosen and bought in under 20 minutes - I do hate shopping!) - apart from new undies, and a couple more tops, I'm now all set and only have dau to sort out. I'd also booked to have my hair cut, and arriving at the hairdressers, decided that I was actually going to go VERY short, with a layered cut that was completely dfferent to the usual 'bob' style variations that I've had for years. (I'm still not sure if it was a mistake - and neither are the family - thank goodness my hair grows quickly!)

In between holiday shopping and haircut, I went to see Mil. Found her upstairs in the activity lounge, dozing in an arm chair. The staff told me that for the previous two hours, she had been adamant that she was a cleaner and in work, and had gone round every chair in the room, cleaning them - irrespective of other residents having been sat in them at the time :rolleyes: She half woke, just as I was debating whether or not to disturb her, and spotted me, smiled and beckoned me over. I got a friendly greeting, but I really don't think she knew either my name or how she knew me. I suspect she thought that I was a workmate, from odd things she said. However, 5 minutes into the visit, and her mind made one of those odd jumps that always amaze me. Although she didn't seem to know my name, she started to talk about having seen my sisters and my mum, and somehow she actually dredged up my Mum's name and the name of one of my sisters correctly. I got a tale about how she and my Mum had been to Rhyl for the day, then a tale about how my Mum had sold my sisters some 'marbles', but that although my sister, 'Mrs Chair' (?) was as pleased as punch with them, my other sister, 'D***' (correct name) demanded her money back and there had been a row. My mum featured largely in just about everything Mil had to say after that - a lot of half uttered sentences that trailed into nothing, but all about my Mum. And most accompanied by Mil giving this odd little 'hehehehehe' laugh and rubbing her hands together in glee, every few minutes - I have no idea what that was about, but she reminded me of that little daft laugh George Formby used to do! Very odd. And so strange that she got one of my sisters names, and my Mum's name, identified their relationship to me correctly - yet really didn't have a clue who I was. One of the carers came over to ask Mil if she wanted to move to one of the tables for lunch - and Mil began calling her by my Mum's name, insisting that this was my Mum -I just went along with it, and once the carer cottoned on, so did she.

Got Mil to the table and noticed as soon as she stood up that she smelt quite strongly of urine :(. That's happened several times lately - I've spoken to the staff who tell me that she is still asking for the loo, and being taken there as soon as she asks - but that she is still having a lot of accidents in between :(

I was able to leave as the food arrived, with no fuss at all. I guess thats the blessing of her not recognising me as who I am, if you know what I mean. Although she still wants to 'go home' a lot of the time according to the staff, as long as I go by myself, its rare that I trigger the 'take me home' loop now - it can still get intense if I'm with OH, - but if its just me or me and one of the kids, although she might ask once or twice, there is rarely any upset or agitation.

Today, dau is in all day rehearsals for a show tomorrow night in Chester Forum Theatre. (Because of her GCSE's, she hadn't gone for a solo - and is, I think, regretting it now! ). I'm planning on a quick tidy up, a quick trip to the shops for milk, pop and bread - then a day spent editing the (hopefully) last of sisters photographs (over 1000 delivered so far, and still more to go) and maybe even having a couple of hours on the family history. I've reached a dead end with several branches (though I've got back to the 1700's with some) so now want to start finding a way to record all I've found out so far. Despite having bought a couple of purpose-made family history binders (which look nice but don't hold much!), I think that the best way will be for me to use a huge lever arch binder, which I can divide into the different branches of mine and OH's family. As well as the 'charts' with details of family groups and lines, I have some photographs, things like mass cards and newspaper clippings; I've collected lots of info from different census' about where people lived and what they did for a living and I also have info on things like origin of names, family crests and tartans that I'd like to include in the records (those are the bits that I find really interesting, tbh). Once I have that sorted, I'll go back to the search - hopefully the break will give me some fresh inspiration, lol.

Only 4 weeks and 4 days to our holiday, and only 1 week and 4 days to son's graduation :) A lot to look forward to!

Take care everyone, love to you all xxxx

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
How are you getting on, JM? I read about your night! How is son?

Hot again here again. I spent the morning taking friend with a new knee shopping. At least the supermarket was air conditioned!

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Hope every one is OK, including JM and family.
Went out this morning, the place is swarming with people on bikes! Yes, the signs "Beware, Cyclists" have been up since Easter, but there's queues of traffic everywhere, and this at 09:30. Couldn't believe it was so busy! You can tell I'm not usually out and about at that time, usuallyThought I'd got the dates for the local rave wrong, no, that's next weekend!
One coffee shop closed, that's normally open at 09:00. The other one has been going flat out since 07:00. The answer was a vaguely local overnight bike race, the DD ( Dunwich Dynamo, which stats in Hackney, finishes in Dunwich on the Suffolk coast). How come I've never noticed before ? I've suggested my step son in law does it next year!

Fine and bright, bit windy through. Just decluttering today, with one eye on TdF. Oh, and finishing the washing!

Have as good a day as possible, everyone!

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Morning all,

Hope all are OK? Been so busy that I haven't really had time to look at other posts for a week or so now, but have been thinking about you all. JM - hope your son is OK, Amy and Slugsta, been thinking about your Mum's (and little Sky-cat, too) and R-Anne, hoping Rob is OK xxxx

Spamar, I had a charity fun run to contend with yesterday, when I was dropping my wee Diva and her friend off for their theatre groups dress rehearsal and show in Chester. I don't like driving through Chester at the best of times, but it was really busy yesterday, and I was glad to be on my way home! My friend drove us to the show last night - it was fab as always, some very talented youngsters in that group - it was a selection of songs, dances and scenes from different Broadway musicals - one young girl, about 13 I think, sang ' Don't rain on my parade' - and was amazing :) The very tiny 'stars' were as always so cute - one little sweetie, who is disabled and a right little character, happened to be right in front of me at several points during the show, and she creased me hamming it up for my camera and stopping several times to mouth at me to 'take my photograph' :D They finished with a number from Sister Act - all dressed as Nun's - amazing performance, especially as the group has a really large number of 6 to 9 year olds - they all must have worked so hard. Now I have those photographs to do as well - and that job includes separating out all shots of one little 'un who is adopted and who's photograph can't be shared publicly - so I have to scan any photograph to see if she is in them, and if she is, those shots go to her Mum on a separate CD.

All quiet here, apart from the usual work admin - up stupidly early again, so may as well use it to my advantage, and start work early - that way I can get to see Mil this afternoon. And also sort out what I'm going to wear to son's graduation - that has crept up on me - its next week!

Thinking about you all, take care xxxxx

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Evening all,

Ann, it sounds as if you are very busy again at the moment - albeit with nice things. The show sounds great, although I am terribly allergic to 'cute' little kids. Your son's graduation is very soon asfter his results, isn't it? I remember mine being about 5 months later!

I'm glad you have had another good visit with MIL and that your being there no longer sparks her desperate desire for 'home'.

Jm, it sounds like a nasty fall your son had, I sincerely hope he is none the worse for it, other than a few bruises. How is your daughter now that the exam stress is over?

RedLou, my thoughts are with you and your family too.

Sky-cat is taking steroid tablets at the moment as a sort of'cure all' but we still don't have the test results back, about which I am getting very cross. She is currently laid across my legs and seems happy enough but she clearly has a neurological issue and falls over a lot :(

The wardrobes are due to be started on Wednesday and are expected to take 2 or 3 days.

Hope that everyone else is OK, you are in my thoughts.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Ann - the show sounds good. As ever you are left with lots of hard work with the photos. Hope you got everything done work wise.

Slugsta - I do hope the results come through for Skycat with something treatable.

Ann - how odd that MIL suddenly came out with some names she remembered that were connected to each other.

Son is fine, sore hand but been out to play a little on mountain bike tonight - new shoes to be tried out. He thinks he may be up to fencing tomorrow, I'm not so sure, and his normal Wed night cycling has been cancelled due to lack of an official (a severe shortage of volunteers). It has slowly sunk in how close he came, he fell a long way and bounced very well.

Red, thinking of you and your daughter.

PS I'm with Slugsta on cute little kids, my own were bearable, but talented teens, such as the 13 year old I enjoy.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Evening, thought I'd add my bit.
Slugsta, glad skycat is giving you cuddles! Can they do anything about neurological issues? Or just hope with the steroids? Though, as I know all to well, they can work wonders! Keeping my fingers crossed about the wardrobes!
Ann, yes, shows like that are good aren't they? Stepdau used to be in them with her dancing school, the tinies were great. She was around 13/14 then. Her daughter loves dancing as well, she's now 17!
I used to try and get OH to go to the local Co-op juniors show at Christmas, some of them weren't juniors, but they put on a very very good show. I did get him to go to a couple, but he was beyond going out to a show of any type after that.
One summer they did Starlight Express, I've always wanted to see it, and I got the dates muddled. Blow!
My graduation was in early July, often decent weather so we could picnic on the lawns - food provided of course!

Enjoy your editing, Ann!
Hope things are sorting themselves out, JM and son is recovering. It sounds a horrid time
for you all.
We had rain plus thunder and lightening today! Not enough rain to fill up my very small pond though!
Sleep well!

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Morning all,

I'm definitely not a fan of the little kid acts on the TV talent shows, to be honest - they are just too young to handle something so huge, I always think! And the votes for cuteness over talent do tend to annoy. I guess with the theatre group its that I've had a connection with it for quite literally years, about 15 I think, between the two daughters, and because I often take pics for them, I've been lucky enough to see behind the scenes on occasion, photographing dress rehearsals and so on. So, I've got to see first hand the hard work and (best of all) the fun they have. Which is why it never fails to impress me when they put on a show like that and probably why I enjoy it so much :)

Slugsta, it sems like you have had an awful long wait for those results! Still got fingers crossed that when they do come back, they bring some good news for Sky cat x

Glad your son is OK, JM - I can well imagine how you feel now, when the realisation of how close he must have come to very serious injury is sinking in. I am so glad that he was obviously very lucky on this occasion xxx The young lady who sang 'Don't rain on my Parade' was fantastic, to be fair - I love that song and for a kid of that age to deliver it the way she did was nothing short of amazing - she got the biggest round of applause at the end. Another 3 children, aged from about 13 to 16 sang 'I know its today' (from Shrek - The Musical) and they also blew everyones socks off - there really is some serious singing talent in that group!

I honestly don't understand how Mil can so obviously not be sure who I am - yet be able to name one of my sisters and my Mum, and even correctly identify how they are related to me. With the damage done by dementia being so dreadful, the sudden instances of her being able to make a connection that you would honestly think is beyond her, are startling, to say the least.

Spamar, my OH is NOT a fan of going to see dau's shows, either - theatre for the most part (especially musical theatre) is just NOT his thing - he has reluctantly attended a few productions (no choice, when both girls have been in so many, lol) but given the option, he stays at home!

The early date of son's graduation has surprised me too - its a lot sooner after his results than either my oldests or mine were. Really looking forward to it though - I think one of the dresses I've bought for our holiday will do nicely for the event - IF the weather is OK. Otherwise, I honestly don't know what I'm wearing.

The visit to Mil didn't happen yesterday - and nor did I make much headway into the admin backlog! The whole day was spent more or less just dealing with emails and then the tasks that were a result of the emails! The plan, to spend the Summer break catching up on admin and prepping for September, is slowly but surely falling by the wayside - by the end of yesterday I had had 6 full days and two half days booked by meetings and training and so on, most of which will generate a lot of additional work - arrrggghhhhhhh! I'm now off to Birmingham for two days next week, and could well find myself at The Royal Welsh Show for a couple of days too, the week after. Both these trips are going to be good, and useful - but now the stress about how I might not catch up on the admin as I had hoped is creeping in!

So - another attempts at the admin today, hopefully finishing at 3, so I can go and see Mil. Same on Wednesday (without the Mil-visit), and on Thursday too - seriously considering not looking at the emails till Thursday, lol - so I can just concentrate on catching up!

Red, R-Anne, Amy and evryone else - thinking of you all and sending love xxxxx

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Ann, I'm sorry the admin is so full-on (and stressful) Ann, I know you hoped you would be able to ease back on the overtime during the summer :( It's great that your team has done so well on smashing the targets but it has certainly come at a cost on a personal level.

My OH isn't keen on musical theatre per se - but really enjoyed some of the things we have seen (especially Lion King where it was very easy to forget that the creatures were not real!). I am very limited in my sitting tolerance, so we think carefully before committing ourselves to anything.

Spamar, sorry that you missed out on Starlight Express :(

Still no results for Sky-cat :mad: the steroids are helping her appetite but are probably not a cure (depending on exactly what is actually wrong).

It has been rather wet here today but still quite warm, ergo pretty steamy.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Hi
We both liked music, well, I still do, of course. But he took pride in his daughters achievements! His musical taste was a tad higher than mine! I was raised on hymns, G&S and similar. I branched off into folk, more recently jazz.
I love live music, OH couldn't see the point of it, just listen to a record! In vain I pointed out the atmosphere, the ambience! But I did drag him to a few things when he was capable of sitting and enjoying it. So these days, I try and go to a few concerts when I can. Lucky that I live close to a top class concert hall. They gave a prom season in August. It'll be a place to meet up with friends!
We've actually have had some rain! More is forecast, however, I haven't been out, yet another crippling headache, it's getting an everyday occurance, going have to bite the bullet and go to see gp, I suppose. It's so bad my feet aren't aching very much!
Cancelled my dental checkup, won't matter for a fortnight. I have 4 month checks anyway, by teeth are so fragile!

Yes, like Slugsta, I was hoping your workload would ease in the Summer, Ann. Holiday soon!

Cuddles for Skycat!
P

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Morning all,

Has the vet said when you can expect the results for little Sky, Slugsta? The waiting must be such a worry! Your wardrobes are to be fitted today, aren't they? Will cross fingers that the work is a lot less stressful and a lot more successful than the kitchen units!

I'm so sorry to read about the headaches, Spamar - go to the GP, hun, and see if the GP can help. I think most of us learn to cope with pain anywhere, but the head region - headaches, toothaches and earaches are the worst pains ever :( xxxx

I've had so many good visits with Mil lately that I think I'd started to almost forget just how bad the 'bad' visits can be :( I was reminded sharply yesterday. Arrived to find that the activity staff (the one that we see most of) had taken Mil for a 'wander' round the building because she was 'quite restless'. It took about 10 minutes to track them down to an upstairs lounge, where I found the staff and Mil, seemingly happily engaged in sorting a large box of socks (I love that they provide activities like this for folk like Mil). Mil gave me a beaming smile when I arrived, and greeted me very warmly - but again, no use of my name and from the first few things she said, I think that once again, she didn't really 'know' me as 'me' (Its almost as though she attaches an invented persona to me, you know - sometimes I can be 'a workmate', sometimes a 'neighbour', sometimes I am a friend of 'her son and his wife, Ann'). I sat, the activity staff joined in chatting for a couple of minutes, then moved off and Mil started 'work' on the socks again. I was issued with a couple of very bossy orders regarding what I could do to help, but initially at least, she seemed fine. After about 10 minutes or so, I started to notice that slightly paranoid and worried comments were creeping in to Mil's chatting. A remark about could I hide the socks soon, to stop 'those two getting them', another about how she was worried what 'they' would do if the 'things' weren't put away properly, a remark about how 'they' like to talk behind her back, then a reference to how 'the bad 'uns' would be waiting to shoot her if they got their hands on the socks. The activity staff came in and asked Mil if she would like her to put away the socks (now all sorted) and Mil agreed, so the box was taken and put on top of a tall cupboard. Mil watched her doing this intently, and with a sigh of relief told me 'Good - they won't be able to reach them up there'.

The activity staff came back in, put a couple of things in the cupboard and placed a book on an nearby welsh dresser. Mil immediatly switched to agitation, as she ordered the staff to 'put that thing away before all those people come in here' - the staff complied with a smile, but Mil remained fairly agitated. She launched into a sudden fretting about how she had to get home before K (My youngest) 'got back', and started to ask were we leaving soon?. I told her I had booked a taxi to get her back in time for K, but that it was too early to go yet. We then went through a similar conversation about my other two kids, with Mil asking where they were and getting really cross when I said that B (my son) was in Preston and working. She became angry that 'no one had told' her that. Mil actually began using my name - though the impression I got was that she thought the 3 children were her children.

Then a sudden flip into real agitation, it was almost like a panic attack. She had to leave, she had to go 'NOW', oh God, she couldn't stand this, what was she going to do, Come on please - I had to take her now, she can't stay here, they are all mad here . . .

She was suddenly sweating profusely, her colour was bad, her breathing was bad, she was shaking - it was abrupt and very horrible to see. She started talking about what 'the man had said' and got really, really angry and upset because she wanted me to 'Just tell me what he whispered to you, Ann' - my guess of him saying that I was to tell Mil not to worry didn't fit with whatever her worries were and she accused me of 'trying to drive her mad'. A chap nearby had visitors, and Mil was aware she was attracting their attention, which was making her worse. She kept trying to get up, but she was so shaky and agitated, I was really worried about her falling. I put my hand on her arm to try and stop her getting up, and she smacked it away angrily. So I got up, to ask the staff who was sat with another chap at the far end of the room if she could help me get Mil back downstairs (the old trick of taking her out of the current environment to see if that would break the agitation cycle). Mil managed to get up as I went over to the staff, and she practically ran out of the room. The staff said she would 'phone downstairs' for help,and I shot after Mil, caught up with her in the corridor, where she grabbed hold of me and was really, really upset. Tears, begging me to get her 'out of here', hyperventilating, sweat pouring down her face, clearly terrified of something. It was horrendous and at one point she looked me full in the face and begged me to shoot her because she couldn't 'stand feeling like this' - if I had had a gun, I would have been strongly tempted to oblige. As distressing as it was to see her like that, how much worse to be the one feeling like that? Its cruel beyond words, and a level of suffering that I woudn't want for myself or anyone else.

It took about 6 or 7 minutes for the nurse from downstairs to come and help. Mil was leaning her full weight on me, and I couldn't move - I was a bit annoyed that a male carer from upstairs (never seen him before so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and assuming he was new?) wandered past a few times, but never once offered to help or try to assist. The nurse was fab, and between us we got Mil downstairs, where she calmed a little, but was still shaking and tearful and uttering cries of 'help me' and saying how she had to go home and she was frightened (though she wasn't clear about what).

She remained like this for the rest of the visit (I was there about an hour and a quarter in total). The nurse told me that they were going to get a urine sample to test, in case there was a UTI brewing, but also said that Mil can just 'get like this sometimes' - I guess I've just been lucky not to see this level of upset for a while :( It was a very sharp reminder of how dementia can affect Mil, and after so long of not seing her that bad, I found it really upsetting. I had to leave to sort out tea for dau, and felt so guilty and was nearly in tears when I was leaving. And I have been thinking of her, wishing that I could do something to help her and feeling so useless every since. Poor, poor Mil :(

Sorry - thats quite a moan! Just playing on my mind - and leaving me wondering how on earth we all coped when scenes like that were an everyday happening for us. A little bit of guilt that I'm relieved that we are mostly spared that now, and a lot of realising that the home ws the right choice, because dealing with that sort of horrendous distress indefinitely was never going to be sustainable, was it? And a lot of just feeling desperately sorry for Mil and angry at dementia :mad:

Take care, everyone xxx

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Ann, that must have been horrendous for you, let alone mil. I morphed into a carer on occasion. It's so difficult to understand when they don't recognise you, isn't it?
The good thing is that my headache has gone and I am feeling much better - better than I was before the headaches came! I know of no reason why! So I have done a little more the last couple of days, but not that much! Even moving easier! I must go out tomorrow into nearby town, pay bills, take picture for framing and other mundane tasks! Might just squeeze in a cup of coffee!
I have been watching the TdF, impressed by Steve Cummings effort today, JM. But what happened to Froome today?
How's Sky cat, Slugsta, and have the wardrobes been done yet?
Hope everyone is OK.

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Sorry for not being around much, and I hope everyone is as well as possible. I'm not completely caught up, so please forgive any omissions!

RedLou, I am so sorry to hear about your daughter. I hope she is physically okay, and otherwise I am sure she is not okay. Sending many kind thoughts and gentle hugs in your and her direction.

Ann, great news about the First for your son! Even with my hazy understanding of your educational system, I know how good that is. Go, young Mister Mac! Are you ready for your holiday? How is work? I'm sure you are working too hard?

JM, tell your son not to fall out of trees, it's not recommended. How is he doing?

Best wishes for the Sky cat, from all of us, including our cats. (I've been there with a sick kitty and it's just ugh.) And did the kitchen ever get taken care of? I think I missed that.

My mother has completed the looooong course of Vancomycin and now we are waiting, with crossed fingers, to see how she does. I saw her the other day for the first time in a few weeks and she was looking much better, better color, just overall improved.

However, as there is never only good news it seems, she has had a return of delusions about her food. Sometimes "it's full of black pepper" and inedible, sometimes someone is trying to poison her food. We haven't had these delusions in well over a year and I had hoped they were gone for good. I will have the neurologist see her and review her meds. They are also checking her for a UTI and retesting her for the C diff. So far, the staff are able to redirect and distract her from these delusions, she doesn't get overly upset, and she is eating and taking her meds. Fingers crossed.

I am sorry to say I've been unwell, nothing major, but first a head cold that lingered, and then a couple of bouts of a GI problem or summer flu thing. This is why I haven't been around much.

Also things have been busy with the usual concerns, paperwork for my mother, things to sort out at the care home, phone calls, you know the drill.

But! On the good side, my OH and I leave on holiday tomorrow! I hadn't posted much about it because, to be honest, I was worried somewhere in the back of my head that
it wasn't going to happen. I know it's silly when flights and things are booked, but...since dementia, I always feel uncertain.

This is a proper holiday, we will be gone for about three weeks, my poor OH really deserves it after all the stress at work (very busy, and many of his team members with personal issues lately, and not enough people so too much work), and all the stress with his dad's illness and death last year. We are actually just about at the anniversary of his father's death. After many itinerary changes, and just don't ask about that, we are going to visit Belgium and the Netherlands. We will meet up with friends for part of the trip, and see U2 in Brussels and Amsterdam. We have never been to either country so this will be two new places for us.

I know I should be very excited, and I am sure I am, somewhere, deep down, but honestly? We leave tomorrow night, I'm not packed, I've barely started to pack, and I am looking at my to-do list which does not seem to get shorter, no matter how hard I try or how many things I cross off! (I am sure you can all understand, that I do not like how dementia puts a lot more things on my to do list, and adds many pounds of anxiety.)

I am going to try to avoid email, my phone, and the Internet as much as possible on holiday, so I likely won't be around. I will check in when we return, never fear.

In the meantime I hope you and yours are all as well as is possible to be, and maybe the next international trip can include a way to meet some of all you lovely TP people.

Love to all!

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Amy - have a great holiday, I do envy you seeing U2. I went to an Irish Catholic school, and U2 was often the music of choice in the 6th form common room in the mid 80s (to explain - ages 16 to 18, no longer in uniform but smart work like clothes - 2 years before uni - no idea how this fits in with US)

Son is fine, although a bit tired and still taking a lot of pain killers. Whole hand is very sore. Incident was on Friday and he went swimming with mates on Sunday afternoon, got bored of playing around and knocked out 50 lengths. He's been to fencing twice this week, so ultimately no harm done. He is very glad not to be in a cast.

Glad to hear your mum has picked up a bit, but sorry that you have been poorly.

Belgium is famous for chips with mayo and beer. I'm not a beer fan but do like chips and mayo, hoping to get to Belgium in the autumn (if dau is well enough to race)

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Hi everyone,

Amy, first of all, I know you probably won't see this, but I hope you and your OH have a fabulous holiday - you both deserve and need it, so I have everything crossed that you have a really wonderful time. I saw U2 in Belfast, years and years ago - the atmosphere at the gig was just amazing :D I also have fingers and toes crossed that your Mum is finally free of the C diff, and that the food-related anxieties are merely down to an easily treatable UTI xxx

I'm glad the headache has gone, Spamar - and I hope it stays away for you! My aches and pains seem a little better when we have warmer weather, but it seems to spell the reverse for you :( At the moment its very warm and very wet in North Wales. It rained like fury on St Swithin's day, so I guess the Welsh Summer is yet again going to be a wet one, albeit warm and sticky. I'm sat here typing, in a T shirt and light trousers, patio doors wide open because its so warm - and listening to the rain pelting down outside!

Slugsta, how is Sky Cat? Are those results back yet? And like Spamar, I've been hoping that the wardrobe fitting went smoothly and is all done now.

Glad that no long-term harm seems to have been done to your son's hand, JM, it certainly sounds like it hasn't stopped him being his usual active self :)

After Tuesday's horrible visit to Mil, I wanted to go see her again asap, just to reassure myself that she was OK, so I went on Friday. At the last minute, dau decided she wanted to come too, which had me slightly worried, given the way Mil was last time, but dau was adamant, pointing out that because of swimming and show rehearsals she hadn't seen her Nan for at least 3 weeks. So off we went. I was a bit apprehensive when the manager saw me passing the office and called out that I had just 'missed' Mil - she had been a 'little bit wound up', so she had been invited into the office for tea and biscuits (its one of the distraction techniques they use there with Mil, and can be quite effective, apparently) and had only gone back to the lounge about 5 minutes before we arrived. I hoped that she was no longer a 'little bit wound up' after that.

And thankfully, it seemed to have worked, because it was completely different sort of visit, thank goodness. We were greeted by big smiles and a 'How are you? I haven't seen you for ages! Oh, it's good to see you both'. She was chatty and clearly in a quite mellow mood. She was doing the jumping from one subject to another, mid-sentence, and expecting us to know each time what she was talking about, but at worst, she was just a little exasperated with us when we struggled to follow her, no big upset. In the middle of her telling us about a shopping trip where she didn't buy the jumper she wanted because she had no money, she interrupted herself to ask me where 'that thing that was in the corner' had gone? I asked what thing? and got an eye roll. The tall thing, apparently, and no it wasn't a cupboard or a wardrobe, or a lift. It was the 'box thing' that one person could fit in, and two if they 'squeezed up close together' :confused: . Thankfully, a passing carer caught her eye, and that distracted her. After about 10 minutes, she wanted to know why we were sitting indoors when it was so nice outside ? (We'd had a couple of hours break in the rain and the sun was actually shining, it was lovely outside at this point). So I asked could I take her out in to the little enclosed garden outside the patio doors, and out we went. She chatted on quite happily about how she had scrubbed the flagstones and about how 'that umbrella thing' (table parasol) was a different colour every time she came here, and why did 'they' keep changing it? She asked me once or twice how Ann and her husband were, and at one point looked around and asked where 'Ann had gone?' (Other than that she didn't use my name when speaking to me at all!). She was very affectionate towards dau, but again, I don't think she really knew who she was at all - I got a lovely photograph of the two of them having a cuddle, and Mil had us all laughing because when I asked them to say 'Cheese', she instead bellowed 'Knickers' :rolleyes: Because dau had a swimming session to get to, we only stayed about 35 minutes, but I felt very relieved to see her so relaxed after the previous visit, I can tell you.

Saturday was dau's last theatre group session before the start of the Summer break, and in the afternoon, we headed out to get the (hopefully) last of the holiday shopping done. It was hot and sticky and humid and the shops were packed - UGH :( Glad to get home, and at least nearly everything is bought now.

Got a massively busy week or two in work ahead, with 2 project sessions and an overnight trip to Birmingham next week, as well as son's graduation, then a two day stint at the Royal Welsh Show in South Wales the week afterwards - so much for admin catch up :rolleyes:

Sending much love to all of you, take care xxxx

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Good afternoon Bizarrites,

Ann, I'm so glad that you got such a pleasant visit with MIL, especially considering how horrendous the previous one was. It must be terribly upsetting to realise that MIL is still the victim of those awful delusions :(

It sounds as if you are going to be working flat out pretty much all the time up to your holiday. Please try to ensure that you look after yourself (((hugs)))

Amy, I'm sorry that you have not been well. I hope you have a fabulous time in the Low Countries and are able to really switch off and relax.

JM, it's good to hear that, despite the sore wrist, your son clearly did not do himself any major damage when he fell. I bet it aged you at least 10 years!

Spamar, I'm glad that you are feeling generally better. As Ann said, pain in the head is very difficult to ignore.

I didn't do the choir gig yesterday, for various reasons, but did enjoy today's - even though we were very short on numbers and struggling in the open air. We visited Mum first and asked the staff to give her lunch early, if possible, so that we could feed her while we were there. They were very happy to do this and it was nice for us to have something to do. Mum seemed to enjoy her lunch, she ate everything and then had a 'fun size' choccy bar afterwards too.

I'm afraid I have less good news about Sky-cat. Despite the long-awaited test results being clear, it is obvious that something is going on. She has developed a head tilt that actually looks very cute but, sadly, coupled with her loss of balance is a sign of neurological damage. After a long chat with the vet, we have agreed that we will not subject her to further tests because whatever condition she has is clearly well developed and not curable. Given Sky's distress when we have to catch her, letting her live out her days without further upset is clearly in her best interests. Thankfully, she can still come for affection and purrs readily. When that changes we will know what we have to do :(

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Cuddles for Sky cat. It's probably the best thing, Slugsta. No, it's certainly the best thing.

Went to rheumatology clinic this morning. I've missed a couple for various reasons, but we have a new rheumatologist, so might see the same person several times. She asked how my arthritis and psoaritic arthritis, OK, I said, another bit under my hair
line, I noticed she said!!!
Forgot to say when I walked in there was an X-ray on the screen with a really misshapen pair of feet showing. Looked closely, they were mine, OMG! Anyway mentioned a couple of problems, she sent me for X-rays of my neck. Eventually got back to her, she was all serious and asked if I wanted to see them. Of course! Another OMG. 5/7 cervical vertebrae should be more or less the same. None of mine were, bits sticking out, vertebrae thicker, then thinning, looked a mess. So....now got to have physiotherapy, stronger painkillers, maybe change meloxicam for something else. Apparently one can get habituated to it and it loses efficacy.
And still waiting for another X-ray of shoulder. If it shows moderate or severe arthritis, then I have an injection under X-ray.

I came out shell shocked! Thought there was little change!
Waiting to see gp so I can ask about how things are likely to go! Maybe NZ sooner rather than later?
Treated myself to a very sticky piece of chocolate and coconut cake, plus berry smoothie! But not sure it was a healthy lunch!

It's been very hot here today, no wind, blue sky. Still glowing well!

Forgot, I asked her why my knee sometimes sounds like bones rubbing, when it's been a metal knee for 11 years. It cos the bone has worn out underneath the metal! That doesn't sound good either!
You have to be healthy to get old!

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Spamar that appt doesn't sound uplifting. Better to know I suppose. Physio can help keep movement I think.

Thinking of sky cat. Hope she is enjoying cuddles.

Ann glad you had a better visit with mil. Busy shops yuk. Roads were really busy on our Saturday ride. Glad you've done your holiday shopping. Need to sort mine.

Dau is being a nightmare. Well let her colour her hair blue and pinky purple. I did it for her and it looks good. Then overtired and an almighty strop yesterday directed at me. Oh had to come home from work to sort her out.

Took food to mum and she's been heating tins of soup in the microwave in the tin.