So bizarre !

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
IA lot to take in from your post Ann but it does seem from your comments about both "situations " , that you feel comfortable in yourself with what is happening? I do hope that is the case and not you are doing /feeling /saying what you think is acceptable to others and you "should " do. Particularly in respect of your Mum's funeral.

Your feelings on all of it will chop and change I am sure but I do hope you are heading for calmer times and better, understanding and consistent support 're MiL. Please take good care of yourself.

What's happening with OH and his new job? Hope that is going to plan. The pair of you certainly are due some better times xx

Edit to add, please don't think my comments are intended as criticism Ann, just concerned that you don't suffer by putting your needs and feelings last as often seems to happen.
x

Last edited:

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Ann, it's a lot to take in. I don't know how you are managing!

I am glad you at least now know the time and date of the service for your mother and that you have a plan. The plan about the wreath sounds very reasonable and I hope that goes as well as possible.

Please, please, please don't let them bully or cajole you into doing anything you don't want to do. I hope you are able to get what you need and am so glad to hear your children will be able to be there.

Then perhaps after the funeral you will be able to emotionally get some relief, or distance, or something. It seems from my perspective (possibly not true for you) that there has been a lot of waiting around for information, both in the situation with your mother and your mother-in-law.

I am cautiously optimistic about the hospital's plan for MIL (but like others, worry about stairs and meds and all sorts of issues).

I agree that you and Mister Mac have clearly gone above and beyond, in terms of trying all the possibilities for MIL's care. I hope you are able to genuinely feel that you've done what you needed to do for her care, and to make the best possible decisions for her. As you full well know, it's so difficult to tease out the differences in behaviour from environment versus meds versus infections and so forth. I feel sure you have done your best. Nobody could say you have neglected her. I hate this wretched dementia, and what it does to us all, with a passion.

Please don't neglect your own health and sanity in all this! I can't imagine what dealing with your hip and your mum's death would have been like, if MIL had been at home (but am sure you can). Please look after yourself.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Catching up - not the best week ever at work and didn't feel up to positng.

Slugsta - so sorry about your cat, Cleo, we lost one of the pair we got in our first house aged 14 to failing kidneys. She had as a kitten sat on shoulders whilst we cooked and slept on my pillow next to me her entire life. They are part of the family.

Ann - glad you've got the date for your mum's funeral. What a complicated mess it is to sort out. Sounds like SD is doing what he wants without a care for any of her children if brother is unhappy with cremation as well. Not much you can do, and just hope you can get through the day OK.

As far as MIL is concerned, I don't fully understand why you are having the trial at home. Is it because that is what you want, what Mr Mac wants, or what you think is best for MIL? If MIL is funded and can go to a local EMI home does that change what is best for her? This seems a good option where you could carry on caring but not do the day to day physical work, including getting her up like a reluctant teenager.

You do need to be happy she can manage stairs, and getting in and out of cars easily and safely.

funding wise my understanding from reading TP is once on a Section 3, funding is forever, whereas on CHC funding is only until next assessment. I think under new rules both can need a top up and again I think that may be able to come from the person's own funding. Maybe a separate thread would be the way to go?

Spamar - so glad you found your brooch/necklace, when I read it was the wedding ring one I was aghast.

Amy - I'll try and catch up on your thread. The summer sounds a logistical effort on top of the rest.

Grace - please push for your op - it is not complaining - it is getting heard properly.

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
(((Ann))) I am very glad that you now have the details of your mother's funeral, and that you have formulated a plan that you feel happy with. Please don't let yourself get sucked in to the dysfunctional dynamics on the day!

Yes, trying to deal with all this with MIL at home would have been terribly difficult, wouldn't it?! I'm sorry that you haven't been able to really take advantage of MIL's time away, with one thing and another happening :( Sorry also that your hip is still giving you a lot of pain. I think you said you have an appointment with the Pain Clinic coming up?

The meeting about MIL does sound as if it went well. Yes, it absolutely justifies the way you pushed to get her properly assessed (although we all know that it should not have been necessary!). I know and understand that you need to believe you have tried all options before she goes into residential care. All credit to you, I don't believe I could have done what you have.

As others have said, MIL's mobility and ability to manage stairs are a worry. Please make sure this has been properly assessed before she comes home - the thought of you trying to pick her up, with your hip and back problems, worries me immensely :(

Grace, I absolutely agree that you need to push for your op. It is a sad fact that, when resources are scarce, people get overlooked if they wait patiently. You know the phrase 'It is the creaky gate that gets the oil'? I hope this can be sorted out without too much further delay. Are you still planning to relocate?

Thank you all for your kind words re Cleo. She could be a little madam but was also hugely affectionate. I used to carry her around with her front paws over my shoulder, or upside down in my arms like a baby.It was unusual for her not to be with us, more often on a lap. It feels very wrong to be able to use my computer, or read a book etc, without having to work round her! Alfie is my boy but, at 6kg+, is not a lap cat :eek:

It has been another good day, not as uncomfortably hot or humid as it was earlier in the week. Hubby and I went out for a drink overlooking the marina this afternoon (Thursday Man is away today). We are going up to London tomorrow to see a TV show filmed - and hope to meet our son for a drink while we are there :)

Essie

Feb 11, 2015
Thanks Ann! :) Very pleased to hear all your news really, glad that funeral arrangements have been divulged and I would vote for leaving straight after the service - site youngest's school commitments or whatever you feel appropriate but I think if you don't go then it might deteriorate very quickly and you'll be left with a *sigh, I knew it* feeling.... :(

I'm also hugely pleased that things have finally moved in the right direction for Mil with her meds being properly assessed and and her behaviours properly recognised - I have always felt that you needed (as in wanted) to cover the 'what if..' scenario so that you could be sure Mil would be safe and cared for no matter what. Purely personally I would also say are you sure trying 'home' again is the right route? I'm sure you will say you want to see if you can give her another 6 months or year at home before you go down the residential care route but this may be, in terms of getting Mil to settle and 'transition' well, the best opportunity you will have to do that without it coming from a deterioration in Mil in the home environment which would be horrible for you all... I think it's very hard sometimes to separate what we see as desirable and what actually serves the needs of the PWD best.

And Grace, IT'S NOT COMPLAINING!!! You have been made promise after promise ("soon, soon, soon") which has not been delivered and you are simply asking "Well?" and if the answer is still more non commitment you'll know where you are and what to do. Wishing you good luck and hope you are feeling better than you did this morning - it is very humid and I don't think that does anyone any favours.

Last edited:

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Hello All,

JM, sorry its been pants at work for you :( Having watched OH go through the mill where he has been working, I know what a massive impact being unhappy in your job can have. I really hope that things are moving along to resolve the issues you have been having there xxx

Grace, I agree - its not complaining - and even if it were, Lord knows you have justification, hun - this has been dragging on for so long, completely unfair and unaceptable! I hope you are feeling better today.

Amy, bless you - you have so much on your plate, especially with your Fil's illness - thinking of you, hun xxx

Celia, you asked about OH's job - well, he has been offered a job in childrens services, at a much higher grade than his current position - this is through re-deployment, and will start as soon as the new DBS comes through (the DBS required to work with kids is a little different form the one to work with vulnerable adults). He is looking forward to it so much, but we both have concerns because as the end of the day, its for the same LA - and when they have shaved every penny possible from adult services and still need to make cuts, does it mean that they will start on childrens services and that OH will be in the same situation that he is in now, in 3 or 4 or 5 years times ? At the same time, he applied for a 'support role' in the prison serivice, and also completed a long day of assessments and exams for a prison officers role - and has been offered the support role and passed all the assessments and also now has the accreditation for the officers role. The support roles pay is pretty poor, however so although there are a lot of aspects about the job that appeal to him, I don't think he will take that further - though that job wouldn't be due to start till end of September, anyway. The officers role - well, training for that will probably not start until Feb next year - we have a new prison opening, just a few miles away, and staff are being recruited in 'waves', to start work in waves as the prison starts to accept 'inmates' gradually and then moves up to full capacity - and before he starts training, because of the specifics of the new prison, he will have yet another 'assessment day' to go through. However, the pay and pension are really good, and the big thing about that job is it offers many, many chances for further training and opportunities, which all would allow OH to stay in a 'hands on role' (he isn't interested in management ), but still 'progress' in the service. That is a big draw for him - one which I understand and fully agree with. For the moment, he is taking the job with childrens services, but keeping the option of the officers job open - I would imagine that once he is in the new role for the LA, he will quickly get a clear idea of how secure that job will be and if it is the right move for him. Its actually a really good situation to be in, to have this amount of choice, after the last 5 years of pay cuts and contract changes and the constant threat of redundancy or being 'tupe'd' over to agency.

Mil and her mobility - OK, she has been infection free for about 2 and a half weeks now, and her mobility (from what we can see for ourselves) appears to be back to the level of pre-admission. Physio's/OT's are also involved, she has been tried out on stairs several times, and apparently managing fine.

The trial period is what I want, OH wants and we feel we have to try having her home, one last time. The bed at the assessment unit remains hers, and she remains under the section 3 - once she is home, if we find at any point during the two week 'trial' that it isn't working, then she will go straight back and the search for a residential EMI home will start. It 'not working' includes issues with her mobility and how well I can manage with my back and hip, as well as how her behaviour is back in this 'home' environment. We know - and the hospital know - that there is a strong likliehood that it won't work. The hospital have really hammered that point home, they seem on the whole, rather amazed that we have stuck with this for so long. But by giving this one last opportunity, at least we can be 100% sure that we really have done our best, that we really have tried every option available, before we go down the residential route. Knowing that it can be EMI, rather than EMI nursing now, has removed one massive obsticle, in my eyes - because that means that we have a choice of homes and every chance of finding her somewhere local. Her potentially ending up miles and miles away would be something that neither I nor OH could have easily accepted.

OH and I have also had several discussions as well about how realistic is it that we could cope if she becomes bed-bound - because with the potential for falls and the parkinsonisms, that is very likely. Neither of us are sure we could - that is also playing heavily towards us feeling that we will probably have to opt for residential care, too. We feel that its been worth all the fighting, because at least this current situation has given us the chance to step back a bit and really think things like that through.

One of our concerns has always been that her house was a semi- detached ex-council house, in an area that isn't particularly sought after, so although she has capital, at EMI rates, the money she had for it would only pay for her care for about 18 months before she dropped below the £23K, and at EMI nursing rates, it would probably cover her for about 12 months, if that, and especially if she had to be placed out of the area and into somewhere where the rates are a lot higher again. We were really concerned that should it come to that, what on earth would we do if the LA then turned around and said that she needed to move somewhere cheaper? I know we could fight that, but the thought of the stress it would cause was a huge worry. The 117 funding, although it most certainly was not something we thought about prior to her admission (didn't even know it existed at that point!) removes that worry, because although it appears that she may have to pay 'top ups', her money will obviously go a lot further, and we can now more or less ensure that if it is residential, well at least we won't have to face that particular battle and she won't ever have to face being moved around and perhaps ending up somewhere that we don't think is good enough. I've seen that topic raised on the forums and read about the worry and heartbreak it causes.

I know it probably sounds like I am being ridiculous under these particular circumstances, but when I take something on, I have to feel like I have given it my very best shot before I can feel OK about admitting 'defeat'. I absolutely know that no one would or could (I hope) fail to understand that the promises we made to Mil that we wouldn't put her in a home may not be promises we can keep - and I also know we have reached the stage now where we really have done absolutely everything we can to try and keep them, and I feel like if this last shot doesn't work, then I can live with the decision, broken promise or not. I'll be sad that it didn't work, but I'll be able to live with it. That matters to me - and even more so to OH. He also feels that this is last chance saloon, and like me, has very realistic expectations about how likely it is to work. And I am certain that he will also be able to live with the decision too. there is also the fact that it may be that even if we could cope, that a residential environment might actually be better for Mil than being at home - particularly now the decision that she can have just EMI care means we have more choice in finding the right place for her. I know that several of you have said before that this might be the case, but it matters that we have been able to have this opportunity to see that this could be the best thing for her, ourselves, before we have had to make the decision. I'm tempted to say that we are 'lucky' to have had that opportunity - but after all the fighting and stress, I think our 'pig-headedness' has more to do with it than luck!

We went to see Mil last night - we deliberately switch between going at a time when we know that (currently at least) she is likely to be in good humour and going in the early evening, when we feel we get an idea of how the sundowning is still impacting. Just before we arrived last night, there was an altercation between two other patients, and poor Mil got accidentally pushed over, simply through being in close proximity when it all kicked off. So we found her quite shaken, complaining loudly about how sore her bum was (she had landed on it quite heavily) but still in reasonably good humour. Very, very confused - she talked a lot about how 'Ann and S***' had taken her to visit us that afternoon (?), and she was very sure that either we or her lived in Ireland and it was good of us to come such a long way to see her. An uncomfortable moment when she insisted that I tell her all about how I had been to visit my Mum that afternoon and then an account of how she had seen my Mum in town that morning - but we weathered it, though it did make me feel rather odd :( We then ended up in absolute pleats because a nurse came to do 'ob's' on Mil, after her fall, whilst waiting for a doctor to come and 'check her over' - the poor nurse was leaning over Mil, very close and looking into her eyes with that little light they use, when Mil very suddenly shouted 'WOOOOOF' at the top of her voice and the poor nurse jumped a mile. Mil was nearly crying with laughter at her 'joke', and OH and I couldn't speak as we roared too :D That is so like the Mil of old, that really wicked sense of humour - it was lovely to see. But, as if to then bring home the reality, the next 10 minutes saw Mil suddenly become more delusional and paranoid as tales began all about the 3 children who had been in the woods in her garden (?) with a gun and how she was scared that they would shoot her. And that moved to the old, mulish expression and her obviously getting cross because she started on about going 'home'. We beat a hasty retreat, because it was also obvious that we were actually making it worse - she was convinced we were there to take her home. It just really highlighted to us that although she can now have more 'content' moments, that there are also still regular times when all the old delusions and upset break through, and that even if they are only happening in the evening, they are still likely to be just as difficult and awful for us to deal with :(

All quiet yesterday from SD and the rest - I got some jobs out of the way in the morning, then spent the afternoon peacefully with a book in the garden, coming indoors again only when rain clouds suddenly rolled in! It then rained heavily, up to about an hour or so ago - its still on the grey side, but also still really muggy and warm. I like the heat - but prefer it to come with an acompaniment of sunshine!

Hope you all have a good day xxxx

Last edited:

Essie

Feb 11, 2015
Hello All,

I'm tempted to say that we are 'lucky' to have had that opportunity - but after all the fighting and stress, I think our 'pig-headedness' has more to do with it than luck!

It is entirely down to your persistence Ann, no luck involved at all, as usual you have done Mil proud.

Essie

Feb 11, 2015
Also meant to add that the "Woooof!" story did make me smile :D - those moments of their 'old selfs' are more and more precious as they become less and less seen.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Ann, while I really admire your determination that you want to be 100% sure that you cant look after her at home, I am really concerned that you will bring her home, there will be a honeymoon period when you will convince yourself that it will be OK and then 3 or 4 weeks down the line you will be back to square one and will have missed her place. Her paranoia has not gone away and surely it would be better to go to a CH from the assessment unit rather than as an emergency from home. There is also the point of the 117 meaning that you wont have to worry about the money running out. If she stays with you you wont get that.

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
Just been catching up....what a time you've had, Ann. Hoping everything goes as well as can be expected....all I have to offer is a great big hug...you are indomitable, a very special lady....

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
But, as if to then bring home the reality, the next 10 minutes saw Mil suddenly become more delusional and paranoid as tales began all about the 3 children who had been in the woods in her garden (?) with a gun and how she was scared that they would shoot her. And that moved to the old, mulish expression and her obviously getting cross because she started on about going 'home'. We beat a hasty retreat, because it was also obvious that we were actually making it worse - she was convinced we were there to take her home.

Ann - this is the bit the stood out to me, you could beat a retreat as you were making it worse, and this is something you and OH need to think about.

If I don't post again before hand, I hope the funeral goes well.

The family have gone to Builth Wells for dau to do a race, and son to play on the campsite and I've stayed behind to try and sort out my paper mountain, I should have gone with them and OH is not happy he has both kids. I need to sort this today as it is ruining my life and my family's. I'm going to try and stay away from the computer all weekend, although may pop onto read on my phone, until paper mountain sorted. With SIL coming to stay next Sat house needs a big shake up as I've let it slip so may not be on for a week or so. Really fed up with myself for letting everyone down including me.

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Afternoon all,

(((JM))) it sounds as if you are being torn in several directions at once! I hope you are able to reduce the paperwork mountain enough to feel more relaxed.

Ann, I totally understand your need to feel that you have tried every way possible to keep your promise to MIL. I share the concern that there will be a honeymoon period when she first returns to you and that you would lose funding as a result. Is this possible?

It's great that your hubby is in a position to chose between jobs :) It would be nice to know that he could commit to long days away without having to leave you in sole charge of his mum as I know this was worrying you.

You took your book into the garden and chilled? Hurrah! When were you last able to do that??

Hubby and I went up to London yesterday afternoon to see a TV program filmed.We also managed to snatch a drink with our son between his work and social commitments :) We did enjoy ourselves but it was too much sitting in one day for me. Also very tiring as we didn't get home until nearly 1.30am. Thankfully, I'm able to have a very quiet day today :)

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
Ann - this is the bit the stood out to me, you could beat a retreat as you were making it worse, and this is something you and OH need to think about.

JM that worrying me too.

At the moment you can retreat but what happens when she comes into your home and you have nowhere to go and worse, you are left to do it all solo? This really worries me.

RedLou

Jul 30, 2014
Canary's concern that you will lose 117 if she's at home for six months, say, is something to check out. also, her bed is going to be held for her in theory - in practice how will that work? Given your previous experiences with them, do you trust them one that?
JM - you are under huge stress at work and with your mum - you have not let anyone down; you must look after yourself and be kind to yourself. Please don't beat yourself up.

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
JM, I am so sorry to hear about the stress you've been under at work and at home. I agree that you sound overwhelmed and please, don't berate yourself. I definitely understand about feeling like the Mountain of Paperwork has dumped an avalanche on you and just hope you manage to dig yourself out to the point where you can breathe.

I don't think you've let anyone down, least of all yourself. You know we all just do the best we can, in a situation that is coloured in varying shades of impossible.

Sending warm wishes to everyone,

Amy

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Hi everyone,

Jm, hun - please, please don't be so hard on yourself. You are absolutely not letting anyone down. You lead a massively busy life, you work, you devote a lot of time to enabling your kids to take part in a sport that they clearly love, you have to keep chasing up on chocolate teapot brother, keep an eye on your Mum, paperwork, you have house renovations going on - and to cap it all, you are having an absolutely rotten time in work. No wonder you are feeling totally overwhelmed. And all you can do, all anyone can do, is what you are doing - your best under really difficult circumstances. I hope you were able to reduce the paper mountain enough over the weekend to ease your stress a little - sending you {{{{{hugs}}}}} and a plea to give yourself a break and cut yourself some slack xxxxxx

I'm having a break from seeing Mil here, for the next 2 or 3 days, until I get my Mum's funeral over and done with. A lot of mixed emotions swirling round in my head, and although I've managed to resist being dragged in to act as go between where my sisters and SD are concerned, and refused to 'baby sit' my brother (who is in his 40's and needs to bliddy grow up a bit!) there still seems to have been a lot of 'things' to do and sort out. Had to sort with the school to allow youngest to sit her biology GCSE at an earlier time so she can make the service. Niece has decided to attend, but is a non-driver and 5 months pregnant, so we have offered to let her travel with us and have had to work out picking her up around getting daughter to exam, me collecting the wreath and dropping it off at SDS's, and having time for everyone to get ready. Oldest isn't coming - her work have informed her that they can only 'cover her' for half a day (don't think that they are too happy that she is leaving to work elsewhere), which doesn't allow her the time to travel down here - I'm pretty sure that she was only wanting to attend for my sake, bless her, her Nan made some not very nice 'digs' on the last couple of occasions that they spoke, so I actually think its better for her if she doesn't come - though I suspect SD may not be pleased. (Tough!). I've already been left with the impression that he is a bit miffed that we are not leaving for the service from his house, but it just can't be done when we have to pick up youngest from her exam - well, not unless I take the car and OH picks her up in Old Red - and I suspect SD would pull even more of a face at a camper van being used as transport at a funeral! He has very 'set' idea's about what is right and proper. There's also the fact that he is having my Mum back to his house, and an open casket for viewing before the service. I'm OK with that, I get that some people feel that they want to do that (though its not something that I have strong feelings about myself) but my son, my youngest and my niece are of the generation who find that idea quite distressing, and I'm glad of the excuse to spare them - SD is utterly convinced that guests will all want to see Mum for 'one last time', and I can well imagine him urging the kids to go and 'say goodbye'!

Yesterday, we had to fit in my follow up hospital appointment and then, later in the day, son's follow up after his knee op a few months back. In between, it was a shopping trip, to ensure that everyone has suitable clothes for tomorrow - son has not only shot up since we last bought him a suit, but has also 'bulked up' a fair bit with his sports course, so needed a full kitting out. The rest of us needed 'bits and bobs' - its nearly 3 years since I went to a funeral, and longer for OH and the kids, none of us had an entirely 'suitable' outfit! Today - well, I was supposed to be doing lunch for my friend and I, but I am going to have to cancel - I have a list of things I need to get done, including getting the car cleaned, and certain jobs that I want to get out of the way today, so that tomorrow I have less running round to do - OH is working today, so I'm a bit 'pushed' - I'll meet up with my friend either next week or later this week. To be honest, I think I could do with a bit of 'alone' time today - the last week or so has seen both oldest and her BF visiting, followed by son's GF visiting for 6 days and it feels like I haven't really drawn breath or taken anything in at all. I could do with some time to try and get my head straight, before tomorrow. I still can't quite take in that Mum has died - which I know sounds odd - and don't feel like I have actually dealt with the news, though I also haven't a clue how I'm supposed to 'deal' with it. There have been no tears, and the main sadness revolves around how 3 out of her 5 kids have no interest in and no desire to even come to her funeral. I just keep thinking what a silly, silly woman she was and how much she missed out on. That makes me very sad - but in terms of actual grief that my Mum has died - no, just mostly numbness and a feeling that surely, I should be more upset than I actually am.

I have taken on board everyones concerns about Mil, OH and I have done a lot of talking and we have lines firmly drawn this time, that we won't cross. I hope things work out with her coming home, but suspect that they won't, and both of us are more than prepared to accept that this time. The funding is important, I guess, if only in terms of her future security if she does go into a home, but the priority is beiing 100% sure that we will have no regrets or doubts that we have made the right choices.

Thinking of you all xxxx

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
I hope everything goes ok tomorrow.

I think the open coffin is a left over from the Victorian ideas on death and will soon become a thing of the past.

IzzyJ

Aug 23, 2015
Cotswolds
JM, I just want to add my tuppence-worth to what everyone else has said. You really are a world-class juggler, with everything you do and are doing. You can't possibly believe you let anyone down! Bullying and unpleasantness at work take over your whole life and mind, especially given how much of your day / week you are at work. Is there any 'me' time, down time, in your life at all? I think you need to be really kind to yourself for a while. :eek:

Amy-in-the-US, I hope your FiL is doing OK. Thinking of you too and sending positive vibes to you and your family - why do things gang up all together, instead of being able to deal with one problem at a time? <<<very warm wishes and hugs>>>

Ann Mac, I really feel for you over this extended pre-funeral time. The logistics of getting as many as possible of your own family where you want them at the right time is bad enough, without all the maelstrom of weird, conflicting emotional stuff as well. It really is being in limbo too, we are programmed not to be able to relax after a death until the burial / committal has taken place and your own life starts up again.
I am so glad you and OH have such a clear idea of what is going to happen when MIL comes home, and your own contingency plans. Just - because I have become a suspicious, untrusting sort after the last couple of years - have you got anything in writing re the 117 funding and the bed being available? Could you write a follow up letter to the consultant team 'confirming' what was said at the meeting you had? Sorry!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mark65