Please don't throw me away, breaking my promise

Sad Staffs

Jun 26, 2018
Lovely post again G... thank you.
Always look forward to them, and how lovely Keith greeted you so robustly (you hadn’t got that blonde wig on had you?).
I have got the tune red red robin running through my mind. Trouble is I’m singing it as I cook dinner, and sadly I sound like a bull frog!
Love B xx

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Lovely post again G... thank you.
Always look forward to them, and how lovely Keith greeted you so robustly (you hadn’t got that blonde wig on had you?).
I have got the tune red red robin running through my mind. Trouble is I’m singing it as I cook dinner, and sadly I sound like a bull frog!
Love B xx
Thank you sweetheart, oh yes, the red red robin goes bob bob bobbin ... love it!! or is it when the little red robin, oh dear, will have to check!! Gxxx

Manc70

May 30, 2018
S. Yorkshire
Thank you sweetheart, oh yes, the red red robin goes bob bob bobbin ... love it!! or is it when the little red robin, oh dear, will have to check!! Gxxx
Just had to check the lyrics as I got stuck......... it is red red robin and didn’t realise it was recorded by Bing Crosby, Dean Martin, Doris Day and many more.

Wake up, wake up, you sleepy head
Why don’t you get up, get up, get out of bed
Cheer up
Live, love, laugh and be happy

Love it, thank you so much for your posts G, you always lift my spirits. I see how very hard it has been for you and still must be but the connection you have with your lovely Keith shines through and gives me hope. xxx

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Just had to check the lyrics as I got stuck......... it is red red robin and didn’t realise it was recorded by Bing Crosby, Dean Martin, Doris Day and many more.

Wake up, wake up, you sleepy head
Why don’t you get up, get up, get out of bed
Cheer up
Live, love, laugh and be happy

Love it, thank you so much for your posts G, you always lift my spirits. I see how very hard it has been for you and still must be but the connection you have with your lovely Keith shines through and gives me hope. xxx
Ah yes, thank you, I have written down the lyrics and used them today, I will explain when I do my thread. Oh sweetheart about it giving you hope, what lovely thing to say. Dean Martin, now there is a singer, his wonderful song Sway ...Gxxxxx

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Well, I bounced in today singing Red Red Robin, and it was lovely how many of the residents knew this. I also waved my bum about to imitate a robin bouncing along. I know, I know, and try it with a bad hip like mine ... Yes, folks I will go for a replacement soon, obviously couldn't all the years I was looking after Keith.
Not being sure what to do for an encore, I sat with Keith who was telling me quite urgently that we needed to do a risk assessment to combat the margin of error. He took hold of my hand and asked me to help him, and of course I could. So then I sang summer nights to him, and if you don't remember this, you weren't there in the sixties!! It was Marianne Faithful and it is a beautiful song that sort of sums up that wonderful, mad era. You can hear it on u tube. Gosh she was so beautiful. It was playing all the time in our first term at University. AND THEN one of the other residents called me over to tell me he loved me and wanted to marry me. Wasn't too sure about that, could not manage two husbands in a nursing home ... but it was a nice compliment. Lots of other visitors to talk to as well, so a nice, social visit.

Back then, we'd talk about
how one of us was sure to die before the other and
I wanted, but did not say, him to die first so I could have looked after him
all his life
and my life's work would be complete.
I did not think it would be like this
but it is still my life's work
but harder.

Thanks, guys, thanks a lot. Love and best, Geraldine aka kindred. xxxxx

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Sorry guys, forgot to say I shall be at church tomorrow, so back again on Monday with business as usual. Thank you so very very much for making this thread work. Gxxx

AliceA

May 27, 2016
I guess the TV programme got you all in a flap? And G, you really should have sung The Birdy Song! Sorry, that's quite enough. Keith was obviously delighted to see you, that's lovely. It all happens at Keith's NH doesn't it? A really good place. I love your posts G, I think we all do. Thank You. With Love Jan xxxx
Ok, as I walk in to the Resident Area, the panel discussion on tv has the subtitle: My mum was reincarnated as a robin.
Obviously going to be that kind of morning! On the bird theme, one of the nurses had recorded a bird in her garden and for the life of us, none of us could identify it. I think it must be a returning migrant, these mysterious songs happen at this time of the year.
Moving to dogs, another Resident was so distressed that she had lost her little dog and it had to be under one of our chairs ... you can imagine all the chaos that led to!
Keith woke up and almost shouted IT'S YOU! when I arrived, so that was lovely and we sung some dum dee dum type songs together. So nice, kind of undramatic visit really.
On the way home, looked out for robins!
Thanks guys, much appreciated. with love Geraldine aka kindred.
Well, I bounced in today singing Red Red Robin, and it was lovely how many of the residents knew this. I also waved my bum about to imitate a robin bouncing along. I know, I know, and try it with a bad hip like mine ... Yes, folks I will go for a replacement soon, obviously couldn't all the years I was looking after Keith.
Not being sure what to do for an encore, I sat with Keith who was telling me quite urgently that we needed to do a risk assessment to combat the margin of error. He took hold of my hand and asked me to help him, and of course I could. So then I sang summer nights to him, and if you don't remember this, you weren't there in the sixties!! It was Marianne Faithful and it is a beautiful song that sort of sums up that wonderful, mad era. You can hear it on u tube. Gosh she was so beautiful. It was playing all the time in our first term at University. AND THEN one of the other residents called me over to tell me he loved me and wanted to marry me. Wasn't too sure about that, could not manage two husbands in a nursing home ... but it was a nice compliment. Lots of other visitors to talk to as well, so a nice, social visit.

all his life
but harder.

Lovely to hear your news, I sing like a frog! You could write a TV series, it could combat the fear.
Yes, caring is hard but a such privilege too. We would not probably choose it but choice does not come into it.
I had a visitor, she said how with couples one was always the stronger. She suggested I was the strong one.
I said no we never thought that. I saw us like pieces of a jig saw, the bumps and dents were like the strengths and weaknesses but together we completed the picture, compensating for the other in different parts of our lives.
I said the first time I was called a carer I was taken aback, it is just what we as husband or wife do.
Now everything I do is to protect the man who has protected me. Fair game really. She reckoned she had never thought like that. She said she loves coming, I wonder what her husband will think! She is such a quiet gentle person. It is strange you said life's work, I feel it my purpose too. When we met that was that!
Have a good Sunday, Love, A

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Lovely to hear your news, I sing like a frog! You could write a TV series, it could combat the fear.
Yes, caring is hard but a such privilege too. We would not probably choose it but choice does not come into it.
I had a visitor, she said how with couples one was always the stronger. She suggested I was the strong one.
I said no we never thought that. I saw us like pieces of a jig saw, the bumps and dents were like the strengths and weaknesses but together we completed the picture, compensating for the other in different parts of our lives.
I said the first time I was called a carer I was taken aback, it is just what we as husband or wife do.
Now everything I do is to protect the man who has protected me. Fair game really. She reckoned she had never thought like that. She said she loves coming, I wonder what her husband will think! She is such a quiet gentle person. It is strange you said life's work, I feel it my purpose too. When we met that was that!
Have a good Sunday, Love, A
Oh sweetheart, what a beautiful, wondrous reply, thank you with all heart Alice. I love the way you describe you and your husband as completing the picture. I know, carer just doesn't fit, does it. Oh yes, to protect the man who protected me. Yes, our life's work, our life's work, thank you so very very much. with love, Geraldinexx

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Oh sweetheart, what a beautiful, wondrous reply, thank you with all heart Alice. I love the way you describe you and your husband as completing the picture. I know, carer just doesn't fit, does it. Oh yes, to protect the man who protected me. Yes, our life's work, our life's work, thank you so very very much. with love, Geraldinexx
Love and blessing back. Please say a prayer when at church tomorrow, I have more tests next week.

Jezzer

Jun 12, 2016
Lincoln, UK

all his life
but harder.

Another lovely, inspiring post my dear friend. I know I've said it before but your posts should be required reading. @AliceA Hello there - hope you don't mind me saying I love your posts too. My darling mum nursed dad through motor neurone disease at home 52 years ago and dad said she'd shown him what true love was. And you, Geraldine and the other ladies here are doing the same. Now precious
Mum is in the final stages of this awful illness. Despite her grief back then, she continued to give my brother and I a loving home. We are not "carers", just a son and daughter who love their treasured mum but can do little now other than be there, hold her hand and continue to love her. And Love is what shines through Geraldine's thread. Sending love to you all. Jan x

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Another lovely, inspiring post my dear friend. I know I've said it before but your posts should be required reading. @AliceA Hello there - hope you don't mind me saying I love your posts too. My darling mum nursed dad through motor neurone disease at home 52 years ago and dad said she'd shown him what true love was. And you, Geraldine and the other ladies here are doing the same. Now precious
Mum is in the final stages of this awful illness. Despite her grief back then, she continued to give my brother and I a loving home. We are not "carers", just a son and daughter who love their treasured mum but can do little now other than be there, hold her hand and continue to love her. And Love is what shines through Geraldine's thread. Sending love to you all. Jan x
Thank you, Jan, yes I dislike the word carer so much. I dislike having to use it to get the little extra help that eases the way. There is a move to use the word care partner, a little better as we are still partners. Mothers are still mothers perhaps the final lesson to pass on is teaching unconditional love. I know this is the lesson I am learning more than ever. I trust your mother has a peaceful gentle end to this part of life. X

Jezzer

Jun 12, 2016
Lincoln, UK
Thank you, Jan, yes I dislike the word carer so much. I dislike having to use it to get the little extra help that eases the way. There is a move to use the word care partner, a little better as we are still partners. Mothers are still mothers perhaps the final lesson to pass on is teaching unconditional love. I know this is the lesson I am learning more than ever. I trust your mother has a peaceful gentle end to this part of life. X
Thank you so much Alice. We too are hoping the end, when it comes, is peaceful and gentle. x

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Thank you so much Alice. We too are hoping the end, when it comes, is peaceful and gentle. x
Sometimes a person needs permission to go, to be assured everyone is all right. Holding hands, favourite music and loving words is all that we can give. All blessings to you all

Jezzer

Jun 12, 2016
Lincoln, UK
Sometimes a person needs permission to go, to be assured everyone is all right. Holding hands, favourite music and loving words is all that we can give. All blessings to you all
Many Thanks. Two weeks ago we were told it was unlikely mum would survive the night. Mum is almost totally deaf so music is a no-go but we stayed throughout the night holding hands and I gave mum gentle reassurance that there was nothing to worry about, all was well and that it was fine to go home. Mum survived the night and although weaker, is pretty much the same as she was prior to the sudden decline. Not quite her time x

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Many Thanks. Two weeks ago we were told it was unlikely mum would survive the night. Mum is almost totally deaf so music is a no-go but we stayed throughout the night holding hands and I gave mum gentle reassurance that there was nothing to worry about, all was well and that it was fine to go home. Mum survived the night and although weaker, is pretty much the same as she was prior to the sudden decline. Not quite her time x
My Grandmother was the same, the family will called several times but as you said it was not her time and she survived the odds to the doctor's amazement. All blessings. X

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Oh darling friends, thank you with all heart. Thank you. With you all the way. Holding hands and continuing to love is what love and humanity is. And oh the wondrous humanity you show. Thankyou. love, love, Geraldinexxxx

Lilac Blossom

Oct 6, 2014
Scotland
"I did not think it would be like this
but harder. "

Thank you so much Geraldine - you describe so eloquently the rocky path we travel.

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
"I did not think it would be like this
but harder. "

Thank you so much Geraldine - you describe so eloquently the rocky path we travel.
Oh Lilac Blossom, what a bright and loving star you are. Thank you so much. I have not seen Keith today and feel really upset and rootless!! Thank you so much. with love, Geraldinexxx